PDA

View Full Version : For those who know how the plant operates

ieem01172
11-21-2013, 10:57 AM
I Placed an order about two months ago for a 2014 GTS viper, from a dealer in Saudi Arabia. Now, he told me that I would, at the latest, get the car by mid january. The car has been in D1 status since the 5th of November. Today he told me that the holiday season might cause a delay till mid February, and that he'll try to prioritize my vehicle (to get it sooner). My question(s):

1-How long does a typical (US-bound) car take from D1 to ship ?

A:

2-Does a dealer have the "Authority" to prioritize an order ?

A:

3- How effective is this authority ? (I know its a vague question, but please be as specific as possible, If possible XD )

A:

4-When and for how many days does the plant close for the holiday ?

A:

5-Can you guys give me a best-case and worst-case scenario for when the car gets built and shipped (I know, since this is an international-bound car, its anyone's guess, but I don't care :P

A:

Sorry for the long list, but it calms me down when everything is accounted for.
PS: I added the " A: " to assist you guys in answering ;)

Thanks so much, and I REALLY appreciate your answers.

Late Apex
11-21-2013, 12:08 PM
Not sure from D1 on a new Viper but other Dodge/SRT cars are at least 6 weeks from order to arrival. Im waiting on one now and the process is SLOW especially from D status to the next one which is assembly. I dont believe a dealer can prioritize an order either. I asked that question to my local dealer in reference to my order. Im sure the process will slow this time of year due to the so called holidays.

canadian viper
11-21-2013, 12:47 PM
vipers can sit in d1 status for months. then once it starts to move, be built in a few weeks. then it could sit for a few days or a few months before being shipped.

Ohiotj
11-21-2013, 08:12 PM
I sold the penta star brand for six years. Common question when a customer put in an order. To be honest there is no good answer. I have seen some, not vipers, ordered and delivered in three weeks. My personal longest was for a b5 challenger that was built during the bankrucpy. It took over six months.

Ohiotj
11-22-2013, 08:49 AM
As for putting one on a priority list that is tricky. Each dealer gets a certain allocation. If the dealer has an open unit then that gets built first. There are million little things that can cause a car to get hung up. Paint supply on certain colors can go through a shortage, quality inspections, truck drivers on strike, cars sit in shipping yards, damage during transit, etc... However they got it down pretty good and we usually told buyers 6 to 8 weeks. During this time I would like you to play the song by Tom petty. Don't know the name but some lyrics are the wait is the hardest part. Good luck.

ieem01172
11-22-2013, 11:51 AM
As for putting one on a priority list that is tricky. Each dealer gets a certain allocation. If the dealer has an open unit then that gets built first. There are million little things that can cause a car to get hung up. Paint supply on certain colors can go through a shortage, quality inspections, truck drivers on strike, cars sit in shipping yards, damage during transit, etc... However they got it down pretty good and we usually told buyers 6 to 8 weeks. During this time I would like you to play the song by Tom petty. Don't know the name but some lyrics are the wait is the hardest part. Good luck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMyCa35_mOg

lol XD ... so true

MKALSABAH
11-24-2013, 06:06 AM
I Placed an order about two months ago for a 2014 GTS viper, from a dealer in Saudi Arabia. Now, he told me that I would, at the latest, get the car by mid january. The car has been in D1 status since the 5th of November. Today he told me that the holiday season might cause a delay till mid February, and that he'll try to prioritize my vehicle (to get it sooner). My question(s):

1-How long does a typical (US-bound) car take from D1 to ship ?

A:

2-Does a dealer have the "Authority" to prioritize an order ?

A:

3- How effective is this authority ? (I know its a vague question, but please be as specific as possible, If possible XD )

A:

4-When and for how many days does the plant close for the holiday ?

A:

5-Can you guys give me a best-case and worst-case scenario for when the car gets built and shipped (I know, since this is an international-bound car, its anyone's guess, but I don't care :P

A:

Sorry for the long list, but it calms me down when everything is accounted for.
PS: I added the " A: " to assist you guys in answering ;)

Thanks so much, and I REALLY appreciate your answers.

i am waiting still for my car, i am in kuwait, its been in D1 from the end of October :( so i know don't know whats going on, i called the middle east distributor and they said my car estimated date of arrival is Jan 22.

ieem01172
11-24-2013, 08:39 AM
i am waiting still for my car, i am in kuwait, its been in D1 from the end of October :( so i know don't know whats going on, i called the middle east distributor and they said my car estimated date of arrival is Jan 22.

What do you mean by "the distributor" ? Is it your (kuwaiti) dealer ? or a regional one ? If so, can you give me their contact so that I can check for myself ?
Thanks.

MKALSABAH
11-24-2013, 03:45 PM
What do you mean by "the distributor" ? Is it your (kuwaiti) dealer ? or a regional one ? If so, can you give me their contact so that I can check for myself ?
Thanks.

Not the kuwait dealer, the supplier of dodge cars for all the middle east is located in Dubai, i contacted Chrysler and they transferred me to an office that sends the cars to the supplier which is located in dubai. Just call Chrysler and they will give u all the info about your car.

ieem01172
11-26-2013, 08:52 AM
Interesting, thanks MKALSABAH. Your name sounds familiar :)

MKALSABAH
11-26-2013, 04:25 PM
Interesting, thanks MKALSABAH. Your name sounds familiar :)

lol, do u know me ? do i know u?

ieem01172
11-28-2013, 02:43 PM
lol, do u know me ? do i know u?
I am just messing with you (maybe ...)
Anyway, I have been going back and forth with my dealer about the damn car !
Can you assist me by sending me the number of the distribution center ? That would help a lot !!
Thanks,

MKALSABAH
12-02-2013, 12:42 AM
I am just messing with you (maybe ...)
Anyway, I have been going back and forth with my dealer about the damn car !
Can you assist me by sending me the number of the distribution center ? That would help a lot !!
Thanks,

855-SRT-TEAM (855-778-8326 sorry for the late reply