PDA

View Full Version : SteamBoat Springs Bucket list

Snake Skin
02-03-2015, 07:34 AM
Is thier any more info on this event.

Bluecoupe
02-03-2015, 10:12 AM
I have my reservations made with my brother for his condo that weekend! It should be a wonderful time! Steamboat is beautiful in the summer!!!!

V1P3R
02-18-2015, 08:58 AM
Gonna get the reservation booked and then decide if we are going to trailer out or just drive!

Can't wait to drive the Viper in the mountains! Will be such a great feeling, instead of always driving an SUV all the time!

V1P3R
02-18-2015, 09:06 AM
Been all over Colorado many times, but never been to Steamboat. Closest area was Kremmling. Is there going to be non-I70 route to Steamboat?

Bluecoupe
03-03-2015, 10:33 AM
Coming from Nebraska, I would take I-80 to Laramie, jump on Wy 130 west for a few miles, then get on Wy 230. This will take you down to CO 127, to Co 125 heading for Walden, CO. Keep Heading south out of Walden and take CO 14 west to US 40, (Rabbit Ears Pass) and down into Steamboat. It is all good paved road through some beautiful scenery. Plus it keeps you a long ways from Denver & I-70

V1P3R
03-03-2015, 01:00 PM
Sounds like an interesting route. Also thought about going through Loveland and RMNP. Ideally we would love to be able to meet up with the Colorado club and drive up with a caravan,....if that is something that will be planned.

kirkinsb
03-03-2015, 02:40 PM
Bluecoupe....where you from Nebraska at one time? Scottsbluff here.

I remember Walden Colorado very well from about 15 years ago. A huge pack of us sportbike riders back then put together a ride up to steamboat. We used a forum for sportbike riders. Well what we did not know was that the Colorado State Patrol was monitoring our Forum or posing as a member and knew we would be out there that weekend riding like speed demons... So they had a Helicopter tracking our speed and road block right around Walden. Biggest ticket I ever got!!! OUch! My attorney pleaded it down for me....so it was just a minor speeding ticket and not anything bigger.

Bluecoupe
03-03-2015, 07:35 PM
Sounds like an interesting route. Also thought about going through Loveland and RMNP. Ideally we would love to be able to meet up with the Colorado club and drive up with a caravan,....if that is something that will be planned.

Taking 34 up through the Big Thompson and over Trail Ridge is also a great ride, though you will have lots of traffic that way, not as bad as I-70 though. You could also take CO 14 through the Poudre Canyon up to Walden.

I have not heard if the Denver guys will be caravanning up or not yet. I am in Ft Collins, there are few of us here, maybe we can put together a mini-caravan and meet up with your group.

Bluecoupe
03-03-2015, 07:41 PM
Bluecoupe....where you from Nebraska at one time? Scottsbluff here.

I remember Walden Colorado very well from about 15 years ago. A huge pack of us sportbike riders back then put together a ride up to steamboat. We used a forum for sportbike riders. Well what we did not know was that the Colorado State Patrol was monitoring our Forum or posing as a member and knew we would be out there that weekend riding like speed demons... So they had a Helicopter tracking our speed and road block right around Walden. Biggest ticket I ever got!!! OUch! My attorney pleaded it down for me....so it was just a minor speeding ticket and not anything bigger.

Nope, Lived in Fort Collins since 1971; before that I was grew up in Rochester, NY. I spent many weekends driving up 287 to Laramie and down Wy 230 down to Walden with my parents when we went camping. My Dad was a major fishing fan, I never caught that bug. Once I got my motorcycle, we would ride that route all the time.

cuda736908
03-10-2015, 12:08 AM
Any itinerary yet? Looking at making the trip and I wanna see how wife friendly it will be. Thanks

Josh

BlknBlu
03-18-2015, 07:39 AM
Several folks from Nebraska are interested in this event. Are there details on it anywhere or a contact person we can reach out to.

Bruce

V1P3R
03-19-2015, 02:00 PM
Hotel is booked. Now for figuring out the drive (or tow) and to find out is a caravan is headed up! Is there any more info on details?

Blue96GTS
03-27-2015, 02:08 AM
First, welcome to all of you coming to the great state of Colorado for the event this year. It should be a great time!

Second, I'm not the official coordinator!! I do have a couple of comments on routes and a couple of places for you to stash your rigs if you'd like.

I agree with BlueCoupe's recommendations on the route thru Walden via 125 avoiding Denver altogether. Especially if you're coming in from the North.

Although the route thru Estes and RMNP will be outstanding from a scenery perspective, it will likely be a fairly slow route. Having grown up in Estes Park, I can tell you that the park will be packed with tourists driving slow motorhomes up Trail Ridge road and likely will include some cone-zones of road repair. If you're not in a hurry though, it's definitely a lot more scenic than most any other route. If you do go this route, make sure your car is in good tune, as the limited air and slow traffic will likely piss your ride off a bit.

If you come up I-70, I'd recommend you get off on 40 (exit 232) and take the route over Berthoud Pass, thru Winter Park, Granby and on to Kremmling. This route will intersect with the proposed BlueCoupe route from the north in Kremmling. Although this is a longer route than continuing up I-70 to Hwy 9, Berthoud Pass and the rest of the drive thru 40 has a lot more twisty fun than the straight shot of Hwy 9. If you find yourself with a bit of extra time, I'd recommend you get off 40 just past Granby and take 125 North to intersect with 14 (south) in Kremmling. This definitely is out of your way, but 125 from Granby to Walden is an outstanding drive and I've yet to see more than about 10 cars on this stretch whenever I'm on it.

Regardless of the route you choose, keep an eye out for critters of all kinds - Moose, Deer, Elk, etc... - especially if you find yourself traveling at early hours or at dusk. They apparently don't like "snakes" and will jump out of nowhere to get you...

Also, don't forget to bring some warm clothes. Watch the weather before the trip. Since we just had a winter of summer like conditions, we might have a summer of winter conditions. In my lifetime, I can honestly say that I've seen it snow every month of the year in Colorado at elevation. Regardless of whether it actually snows or not, the nights will be cool/cold in Steamboat and the surrounding areas. Bring sunscreen and drink plenty of water!!! Afternoons in Colorado regularly bring a rain-shower and may include hail... Let's hope not on the hail front, but beware.

As for where to stash your rides, I can offer up 2 locations: Our primary residence is in Franktown, CO which is a bit southeast of Denver. We have a family house in Tabernash which is a wide-spot in the road between Winter Park and Granby. Both locations have plenty of room to stash your stuff, but a word of caution is the dirt driveways at both locations. Nothing major, just disclosing the facts. At both locations, there is ample space to unload your ride on the street if your car is allergic to some dust.

The Wife-unit and I won't be in Steamboat until Friday morning. The event goes from Thursday-Sunday. Not sure what we'll miss on Thursday, but we assumed it would be the check-in and chill day, so we will be in T-nash on Thursday night and in Franktown before then. PM or e-mail me if you are interested in stashing your stuff at one of our locations - we'd be happy to help out.

See you in July, unless you're a cop reading this, in which case the event has been moved to September 33rd of next year!

Mike

cuda736908
03-28-2015, 04:10 PM
Thanks for the info! The hotel confirmed truck and trailer parking in a reserved lot with a hotel permit. This is good news for me. Coming down from Laramie are the roads safe going through the mountains with a truck and 27' trailer then jump on 40? Thanks

Would love to hear an itinerary.

Bluecoupe
03-28-2015, 05:52 PM
Yes they are, semi's run that route all the time hauling cattle/sheep to the Walden area.
Good info Mike, I wasn't sure of the Denver route. I can attest Berthoud Pass is a beautiful drive in the summer. I also agree with you comments about Trail Ridge road through Estes Park, it can be like Manhatten in the summer time, it will take a long time to get through town.
One other route would be highway 14 through Poudre Canyon over to Walden. It can also get busy but not as bad as Trail Ridge.
As Mike said, look out for wildlife, especially at dawn & dusk! The moose population has taken off in Northen Colorado, along with deer, elk, bighorn sheep, and open range cattle.
This will be a great time, Steamboat is beautiful.

cuda736908
03-28-2015, 09:10 PM
Dan any idea of the itinerary for each day. We keep recruiting more members in our area to attend. Many want to know what is planned. Many are leaving Omaha early thursday morning. Rooms are sold out for thursday night!

We really need to know game plan.

Thanks
Josh

Bluecoupe
03-30-2015, 10:31 AM
Dan any idea of the itinerary for each day. We keep recruiting more members in our area to attend. Many want to know what is planned. Many are leaving Omaha early thursday morning. Rooms are sold out for thursday night!

We really need to know game plan.

Thanks
Josh

Hi Josh,
I have not heard any more details. I will hit up our district prez and see if he has anything to share.