PDA

View Full Version : Ferrari 488

yellowmz3
02-03-2015, 07:06 AM
So, now that Ferrari has officially announced it's replacement for the 458 (and it's turbocharged), do we all think the next Viper will have some form of induction?

Steve M
02-03-2015, 08:08 AM
Some form of induction? Absolutely...I have no doubt that it will bring ambient air into a combustion chamber or 10.

yellowmz3
02-03-2015, 08:13 AM
forced

Dman
02-03-2015, 08:29 AM
Dodge could be making the next Viper with a flux capacitor driven trans-continuum over thruster for all we know. They're so good at keeping things under wraps.

IMO if they ever did go FI, I'd hope for a turbo, they seem to do better on managing the heat soak than the top mounted SCs, somewhat counter intuitive. In the 80s we would chose centrifugal blower over turbos for less heat, but with the GTR and other race engines out there managing the turbo heat, and the Z06 and GT500 struggle with heat, if I had to pick a FI option, turbo I guess.

This I mean in terms of a new model, I think the Sledghammer will be balls for sure, and I'm sure, knowing SRT and those involved, it'll be the best SC balance of street/track done to date on any car.

viper_eddie
02-03-2015, 09:34 AM
Unless they can really squeeze out 100 more horsepower from the NA engine, then I would bet they're looking at forced induction. 645hp is more than enough for most drivers but because of the horsepower wars going on they just can't be left behind. And remember, the Viper was never about having a bit more power than other cars; it was about having A LOT more power. With its current 645 it's not really that much compared to others.

I wish automakers would focus more on weight and the fun factor but I guess it's easier to just add the HP.

EDIT: I just read that it will have 660 horsepower. So I will bet anyone $100 that either the 2016 or next Viper will have forced induction AND an auto/dual-clutch option.

Part of me hopes they can squeeze out 750 hp without forced induction but how long would that last for and is it "enough?"

FLATOUT
02-03-2015, 10:28 AM
Pretty crazy that Ferrari is going to be super quick at that weight to power ratio.

yellowmz3
02-03-2015, 10:35 AM
It's actually faster (in all respects) than the Speciale, that's impressive for an 'entry' level car

Policy Limits
02-03-2015, 11:11 AM
Hope Sergio doesn't ruin the prancing horse brand as speculated. Times are changing. I know the Ford GT will have a V6 ecoboost. And surprisingly it really doesn't bother me much.

TheAnonymousOne
02-03-2015, 04:02 PM
I'm proud that Ferrari stuck with the 8. The Ford GT is off my radar unless they make it with a proper motor. I've heard Ferrari might use a TT6 but that's in the poor man's Ferrari, the California, otherwise known as the wife/mistress Ferrari. No straight male worth his salt would drive one.

ViperSmith
02-03-2015, 04:18 PM
3000# is just insane

yellowmz3
02-03-2015, 04:43 PM
They'll sell every one they make and have a long waiting list to boot!!

Policy Limits
02-03-2015, 08:26 PM
Do they still have that snobby rule that u can't order one new unless you already have a pre owned one first?

mnc2886
02-03-2015, 08:29 PM
Do they still have that snobby rule that u can't order one new unless you already have a pre owned one first?

Didn't know they had that rule. I know you had to be invited to buy the halo car, ie the Enzo or LaFerrari. Didn't know Ferrari cared who purchased their "entry" cars.

ViperSmith
02-03-2015, 08:31 PM
That's a game dealers play

Policy Limits
02-03-2015, 08:41 PM
Pretty sure it's a factory game. Or at least it was. Back in the day even if you had the new order dough and the pre owned prancing horse u could still be denied a sale if they didn't like your essay. Hahahaha. Friggin snobbery.

J TNT
02-03-2015, 09:34 PM
Yes on certain models your money at Retail , wasn't enough to get you a car !

ViperSmith
02-03-2015, 09:37 PM
Pretty sure it's a factory game. Or at least it was. Back in the day even if you had the new order dough and the pre owned prancing horse u could still be denied a sale if they didn't like your essay. Hahahaha. Friggin snobbery.

Its a shell game dealers will use to get you further up the order line. "Buy a CA that no one wants and you can be Nth in line to get a new 488TT."

SilveRT8
02-03-2015, 11:58 PM
The main reason Sergio took over the top hat at Ferrari, so this will change as he's a numbers guy with volume in mind, even for F cars

SADVIPER
02-04-2015, 05:25 AM
Couldn't care less as a Viper owner.
and I love Ferraris!

viper_eddie
02-04-2015, 10:01 AM
Luca Di Montezemolo stated that he wanted Ferrari production to stay under 7k so they could remain exclusive. Well now that he's been kicked out who knows. And yes the dealers, at least here in the US, still play that "it's hard to buy this car new" BS game where you have to buy one of their overpriced used models first and/or the California.

Just do some reading on FChat and you'll read countless stories of people having the money to buy but Ferrari not selling to them. Not sure if it's like that in the rest of the world.

TonyCool
02-05-2015, 12:28 AM
I would prefer it if they kept the viper's engine naturally aspirated. I believe 700+ hp out of the 8.4L V10 is possible and enough. Weight to power ratio, down force and traction are just as important as horse power.

While it rings true that originally the objective of the viper might have been to beat other cars in the horse power wars by a considerable margin. The Gen4 ACR, the TA and upcoming ACR are taking the viper into a different direction. I believe more and more people are starting to think of the viper as the ultimate driver track weapon.

In a way the viper is like an Ariel Atom but with a roof, a passenger seat, a luxurious interior, and outstanding looks. I think keeping the engine NA with a marginal increase in hp, along with weight reduction, improved suspension, breaking and aero would be a far better investment than going FI.

As long as the viper can beat the FI horse power monsters at the track by staying true to it's original formula I don't think many previous or potential new viper customers would care if there are slower cars with more horse power. I know I would rather have a 700 hp v10 powered car that could lap the Nürburgring faster than a 850 hp supercharged V8 powered car that was ultimately 5 seconds slower.

With that said that new Ferrari is going to be one amazing machine.

plumcrazy
02-05-2015, 05:02 AM
thread moved to other rides