PDA

View Full Version : Temporary windshield protection for the track

Rapidrezults
01-29-2015, 03:45 PM
I'm looking into a solution for keeping the windshield rash to a minimum. Has anyone experimented with any type of temporary wraps or covering for their windshield during a track day? It may sound crazy, but even after 1 track event in my new baby I've already got some "rash" going on the windshield. Everything else is protected with clear bra...except for the thing that I stare at the most. I was even thinking of trying some of the tracwrap for the windshield, but not sure how optically clear it would be.

bluesrt
01-29-2015, 03:47 PM
I have seen people use clearbra on the windshield

Black Pearl
01-29-2015, 04:29 PM
I have used Clear Plex Film http://www.clearplex.com/

TrackAire
01-29-2015, 06:17 PM
Just google "nascar windshield tear offs" and you'll get a bunch of options for temporary windshield protection for the track. I wish I had used something like this before I got behind cars with R compound rubber.

Some of this material is sold in bulk so you can make your own tear offs and layer them.

Tom Sessions
01-29-2015, 08:51 PM
http://www.protint.com/kannapolis-nc-charlotte-nc-greensboro-nc-windshield-tearoffs.htm

Rapidrezults
01-30-2015, 12:55 PM
This is all great info. Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

esm_viper
12-22-2015, 02:55 PM
What did you end up finding? I've left a voicemail for Clearplex and so far I've found that the Racing Optics brand of windshield tear off's are not for the Gen V's. Are the windshields on the Gen IV and V the same dimensions?

Bill Pemberton
12-22-2015, 04:50 PM
Have had Clearbra on my windshield since 09 --- still on there and looks a bit funky , but windshield underneath is in great shape.

est8esq
01-03-2016, 12:51 PM
I ordered and wasted money using protint. Doesn't fit Gen V windshield.

XSnake
01-04-2016, 11:38 AM
I'm in the market for a tearaway setup.

esm_viper
01-04-2016, 05:16 PM
I've called this company, but they haven't called me back yet. They make a film for older Vipers, the tearoffs they sell are Racing Optics. Maybe if enough of us called them, they'd make them for us.

http://www.colemotorsports.com/index.cfm?template=about

XSnake
01-04-2016, 05:20 PM
I ordered from http://racetearoffs.com/

They have a Viper Kit in their Rolex series.

allans
01-04-2016, 08:16 PM
^^^ Please let us know how this works out. Best, Allan

Rapidrezults
01-05-2016, 11:00 PM
http://www.protint.com/kannapolis-nc-charlotte-nc-greensboro-nc-windshield-tearoffs.htm

I ended up ordering a kit from these guys a while back, installed it myself, however, because of the curvature of the Viper windshield it ended up looking like crap. I used a blow dryer and got it to somewhat form but ended up with ghosting all over. I kept it on for a few track days and then tore it off.

On my more recent attempt with the ACR I got some advice from Luke (forum member) to use something called graffiti guard. Comes in 4 and 6 mil thicknesses. Had my clearbra installer order it and do the install. It came out pretty good, but again, because of the shape of the windshield it is not amazing looking but will do the job for my purposes. I will probably have it redone once a year or so. I have not tried Clearplex yet but I assume because of it's thickness it would be even more difficult for the Viper windshield.

http://www.graffitiguards.com/graffiti_film_guards.html
(http://www.graffitiguards.com/graffiti_film_guards.html)

XSnake
01-16-2016, 03:37 PM
^^^ Please let us know how this works out. Best, Allan

Anyone looking for protection don't waste your time with the tearoffguys kit. Not impressed with it at all. You are better off going to your local clearbra guy and having them custom cut one for you.

Stealth
01-27-2016, 02:53 PM
I tried the clearplex (??) on my Gen IV and my installer could not get it to follow the curves of the windshield and I believe it was about $300 a pop, while a new windshield was $900. If you find a good solution I will use it on my Gen V.

Nambo
01-27-2016, 02:57 PM
I tried the clearplex (??) on my Gen IV and my installer could not get it to follow the curves of the windshield and I believe it was about $300 a pop, while a new windshield was $900. If you find a good solution I will use it on my Gen V.

I just tried to use Clear Plex on my Gen V as well, installer used all the material he had and could not get it to work up to his standards. Gave up and didn't charge me a thing. Still looking for a solution too.

Dfunk
01-27-2016, 10:24 PM
I'm more interested in a temporary solution. Something that can be easily installed than removed after the track event. Like a vinyl window cling.

Rapidrezults
01-27-2016, 11:47 PM
My graffiti guard film has held up well so far. Use a professional installer and he should be able to get it to contour to the Viper windshield reasonably well.

Dfunk
01-28-2016, 12:43 PM
I will look in to that. Thank you

Arizona Vipers
05-14-2018, 11:56 AM
I'm more interested in a temporary solution. Something that can be easily installed than removed after the track event. Like a vinyl window cling.

This is exactly what I'm looking for. I'm resurrecting this thread, has anyone found a good temporary product like this? I'm taking the wifes E63 wagon to the track this weekend and she'll kill me if I get any chips.
I'm going to tape off the whole car with painters tape, but haven't figured out the windshield part yet

docwviper
05-23-2018, 12:15 PM
I ordered and wasted money using protint. Doesn't fit Gen V windshield.

Ditto total waste of money with them.

FrankBarba
05-23-2018, 07:52 PM
Saran Wrap works great. have your windshield wet. Stretch and remove all bubbles...

nrs1
05-24-2018, 11:47 AM
Anyone looking for protection don't waste your time with the tearoffguys kit. Not impressed with it at all. You are better off going to your local clearbra guy and having them custom cut one for you.

Is that because it doesn't protect the windshield or because it doesn't fit all of the contours. I'm just looking at protecting the glass, and don't care if it fits all the way to the edges on my Gen2. There are no more windshields available for a Gen 2 GTS, so if it becomes unusable (crack across the viewing area), it will be on to a plastic one. Until then I just keep band-aiding the existing one with chip repairs. The track is not friendly to windshields

ACR Steve
05-29-2018, 09:06 AM
So why go temporary ? I have broken more windshields on the street then track

I have the same stuff on my Viper as my race car . Its a clear wrap that's thicker then what goes on the body panels and it has a harder surface so you can use windshield wipers . Works amazing and no one knows its on. Never broken a windshield with it on

nrs1
05-29-2018, 06:05 PM
So why go temporary ? I have broken more windshields on the street then track

I have the same stuff on my Viper as my race car . Its a clear wrap that's thicker then what goes on the body panels and it has a harder surface so you can use windshield wipers . Works amazing and no one knows its on. Never broken a windshield with it on

What stuff are you referring to? I was going to have clearplex installed, but I have a short crack emanating from a star that was repaired. The installers said they have to use high heat to install it and can't be responsible for it cracking further. That possible issue and the fact that there are no more gen 2 GTS windshields, if they crack it, brings me to protecting it as best as I can with temporary measures, or just roll the dice and keep fixing stars with repair glue.

ACR Steve
05-29-2018, 08:12 PM
Speak to your local road race shop. I don't know the name but most shops have an installer that comes to the shop for windshields. Find a good Porsche race shop they will have an installer. If you put this stiff on it will hold the crack from spreading in most cases

nrs1
05-31-2018, 10:47 AM
It seems like they are using Clearplex. This is the same material that the shop said they have to use a lot of heat to shrink it to the windshield and were leery about an existing crack that was repaired. Also the shop said the film would break down in the AZ sun/heat within 9 months or so, and start to yellow. That would not necessarily be a problem for me, as the car usually only comes out of the garage on track days, but it still is a lot of "ifs" for a $450 installation.

My thought would be the tear-offs would be an easier installation that would not use as much heat. I guess I need to call these guys to ask about how it is installed.