PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Z06 Sub-7 Minute Nurburgring Time - Not Confirmed

FrgMstr
01-28-2015, 08:58 AM
Wow. This is an incredible feat for sure if it holds true.

http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2015/1/28/Did-The-2015-Corvette-Z06-Just-Lap-The-Nurburgring-In-Under-7-Minutes-7725122/

Bear in mind this has yet to be made official by the folks at GM, but sources are now claiming the 2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 has lapped the Nurburgring in 6:59.13. Supposedly the HD on-board video will be released "soon" to verify the news. The same source also stated the lap was done in a production-spec Z06 equipped with the new fast shifting eight-speed automatic gearbox and wearing the Z07 aerodynamics package.If confirmed, then the new Corvette Z06 has entered the same sub-7 minute lap time category as the Porsche 918 Spyder, Ferrari LaFerrari, and McLaren P1 – at a fraction of the price of any of those supercars. We’ll bring you more details the moment we have them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkgdxogODvE

BDZ1984
01-28-2015, 09:17 AM
Saw that this morning as well! I will be shocked if confirmed. It would mean the new Zo6 is 20 seconds faster than the old Zr1???

Someone start a fund to get Tomball back to the ring in a T/A!

ACR_Matt
01-28-2015, 09:22 AM
Incredible. Simply incredible if it's confirmed. The new ACR, if it's ever built, will be chasing some big names and mind blowing lap times.

v10enomous
01-28-2015, 09:32 AM
Records are made to be broken !

V1P3R
01-28-2015, 09:34 AM
Soooo, then does that mean that the clock stops every time the car breaks down and then starts back up when you get to the same part of the track to continue?! lol
:lol2::stickmen_burningsti:car-smiley-003:

ViperJon
01-28-2015, 09:35 AM
Old video looks like summer. Highly suspect considering Tadge said just recently they never got a clean run in.
Does anyone think if this was true it wouldn't have been e-blasted immediately.

ViperDC
01-28-2015, 09:37 AM
Lol, I'll believe it when the vid comes out or something official comes from GM. Seems like click bait to me.

FrgMstr
01-28-2015, 09:40 AM
Old video looks like summer. Highly suspect considering Tadge said just recently they never got a clean run in.
Does anyone think if this was true it wouldn't have been e-blasted immediately.

That video is obviously not from a record timed run. There is even traffic on the course.

XSnake
01-28-2015, 09:46 AM
Doubtful, their driver even confirmed they got no clean runs and I think even crashed a car.

Zybane
01-28-2015, 09:52 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkgdxogODvE

Sounds like a bunch of BS, thoughts?

Are one of you guys trolling the corvette guys? :smilielol:

daytonprowler
01-28-2015, 10:03 AM
Soooo, then does that mean that the clock stops every time the car breaks down and then starts back up when you get to the same part of the track to continue?! lol
:lol2::stickmen_burningsti:car-smiley-003:

+1 :)

ViperSmith
01-28-2015, 10:04 AM
The Z06 forum is running with it.

You know, since it they broke 7 seconds they'd keep it under wraps.

Sounds like someone took best segments and added them together. You know since that's a real run. Maybe that's what Tadge meant when he said "do the math"

Crotalidae
01-28-2015, 10:15 AM
When performing these timed runs would not one rent the track so there are no other vehicles running to interfere with a record run??? I don't know as I have yet to track my vehicle but I see other vehicles in this video that coud potentially get in the way of a "record" run...

Nine Ball
01-28-2015, 10:18 AM
This thread is more entertaining than the BS article. That site is notorious for posting silly crap to draw attention.

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion/3598355-2015-z06-nurburgring-lap-time-6-59-13-a.html

I enjoy seeing the Corvette guys bend any hopeful bit of any fragmented info, in order to arrive at the results they hope for. Pretty sad over there.

In other news, a stock ZR1 druuuug a C7Z06. I know both owners, happened in Houston. C7Z06 owner says the ZR1 pulled him in 3rd and 4th each time, always finishing by at least a car ahead.

Poor C7Z. It only wins by accident, it seems.

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion/3598339-street-race-c6-zr1-vs-c7-z06.html

Nine Ball
01-28-2015, 10:20 AM
When performing these timed runs would not one rent the track so there are no other vehicles running to interfere with a record run??? I don't know as I have yet to track my vehicle but I see other vehicles in this video that coud potentially get in the way of a "record" run...

Yes, they would have it rented, or share an "Industry Day", which is closed to tourist traffic. The 'Ring basically sells laps at the main entrance, like a tollway, on tourist days. Full laps also require the full length of the track, not bridge to gantry like on toll days.

Dman
01-28-2015, 10:22 AM
And the driver was getting a hummer while driving that lap too, now that's concentration.

I'm assuming that since you don't see the passenger for the 1st 1:45 of that clip, his head must be, uh, ... and then you suddenly do, I assume that's when he finished ... and then he finished. I think that's pretty normal with the vette club, when invited for a ride-along, just say noooooooooo. I kid, I kid.

FrgMstr
01-28-2015, 10:28 AM
Maybe a 30 minute cool down period before hitting the back straight?

FLATOUT
01-28-2015, 10:42 AM
Doubtful, their driver even confirmed they got no clean runs and I think even crashed a car.

Bingo

BlknBlu
01-28-2015, 10:46 AM
6.59 seconds is how long it took to realize it is not true

Bruce

FrgMstr
01-28-2015, 10:52 AM
Hate to say it, but I hope it ends up being true. This is the kind of fire that Dodge needs to have lit under it to put out an ACR that will kick some major ass. Remember guys, competition is good for us.

mjorgensen
01-28-2015, 11:06 AM
Video is gone now :-(

FLATOUT
01-28-2015, 11:10 AM
Video is gone now :-(

You can still find it on Forza4

Zybane
01-28-2015, 11:16 AM
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1028793_did-the-2015-chevrolet-corvette-z06-lap-the-ring-in-just-659-13

lol already debunked by Chevy. Please lock the thread.

ViperDC
01-28-2015, 11:31 AM
Hate to say it, but I hope it ends up being true. This is the kind of fire that Dodge needs to have lit under it to put out an ACR that will kick some major ass. Remember guys, competition is good for us.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1028793_did-the-2015-chevrolet-corvette-z06-lap-the-ring-in-just-659-13

Looks like a hoax

ViperJon
01-28-2015, 11:37 AM
Debunked.

Viper Girl
01-28-2015, 11:53 AM
merged two threads - moved new merge thread to "other rides".

Nine Ball
01-28-2015, 11:54 AM
This one even names the GM rep that debunked the story. LOL

http://www.carscoops.com/2015/01/gm-debunks-2015-corvette-z06s-rumored.html

Shooter
01-28-2015, 12:02 PM
Someone start a fund to get Tomball back to the ring in a T/A!

People just never pay attention. It has been said, countless times, by the very people that set the last record.....the T/A in it's present configuration will not be faster around the "ring", then the 2010 ACR.:t0152:

We will need the Gen V ACR, or maybe...the T/A 2.0 will be able to eek out a faster lap.

Nine Ball
01-28-2015, 12:12 PM
TA 2.0 doesn't have the fully adjustable shocks that are needed to beat the ACR there, according to Ralph. They need to be able to lower the car and control all four corners independently.

C-Note
01-28-2015, 12:28 PM
I would still like to see what a TA would do on the ring. Didn't the TA best the Gen4 ACR at Laguna Seca?

Crotalidae
01-28-2015, 12:44 PM
Yes, they would have it rented, or share an "Industry Day", which is closed to tourist traffic. The 'Ring basically sells laps at the main entrance, like a tollway, on tourist days. Full laps also require the full length of the track, not bridge to gantry like on toll days.

Thanks for the info Tony!!!

serpent
01-28-2015, 12:57 PM
I was skeptical because the acr-x ran a 7:03. That is a friggen racecar. Maybe if chevy attempted this with hoosier r6 tires it would be in that realm.

slowhatch
01-28-2015, 01:13 PM
In other news, a stock ZR1 druuuug a C7Z06. I know both owners, happened in Houston. C7Z06 owner says the ZR1 pulled him in 3rd and 4th each time, always finishing by at least a car ahead.

Poor C7Z. It only wins by accident, it seems.

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion/3598339-street-race-c6-zr1-vs-c7-z06.html

Hehe, jay put it on him good. Not like there were any surprises there.

slowhatch
01-28-2015, 01:39 PM
I would still like to see what a TA would do on the ring. Didn't the TA best the Gen4 ACR at Laguna Seca?

Apples to oranges. Laguna is a bit too tight and lacks the high speed corners to really flex the ACR's muscle. TA does not have the aero necessary to outrun its older brother on the ring.

mjorgensen
01-28-2015, 02:10 PM
I was skeptical because the acr-x ran a 7:03. That is a friggen racecar. Maybe if chevy attempted this with hoosier r6 tires it would be in that realm.

The biggest part of the equation is the fact that GM rents the place for a week and SRT got what 3 clean laps? I think they would have easily found 5-7 more seconds out of either car they had there...

ViperSmith
01-28-2015, 02:46 PM
The biggest part of the equation is the fact that GM rents the place for a week and SRT got what 3 clean laps? I think they would have easily found 5-7 more seconds out of either car they had there...

To me it is indicative of the fact it just can't get a good time. Chevy was there for like a month.

You (GM) mean to tell me they couldn't get a good run in, in a month?

Yeah, ok! If thats the case, then I question the cars abilities all together.

mjorgensen
01-28-2015, 03:01 PM
To me it is indicative of the fact it just can't get a good time. Chevy was there for like a month.

They got a good run in, but the wall won... LOL

Nine Ball
01-28-2015, 03:24 PM

Don't you understand that they were "doing engineering"? You know, that engineering that normally happens a year before production cars come out, but in this case it was only a month before the cars came out.

I sure wish I could start my engineering a couple years late, and try to do it right before my project ends. hehe

XSnake
01-28-2015, 03:24 PM

X was driven by Kuno who had never been to the Ring before. Domink drove the street car as he has much more exp. there and that's the record they were going after. Domink jumps in the X it goes sub 7 min easy.

Nine Ball
01-28-2015, 03:27 PM
They got a good run in, but the wall won... LOL

Seems like an old song.

"I fought the wall, and the wall won. I fought the wall, and the walllllll won."

Bruce H.
01-28-2015, 03:41 PM
TA 2.0 doesn't have the fully adjustable shocks that are needed to beat the ACR there, according to Ralph. They need to be able to lower the car and control all four corners independently.

I'd like to hear more about that. Were those comments from an article by chance that could be linked?

I met 09 ACR (Gary) at VIR last summer in his ACR and I had my TA. He soon after bought a TA and went back to VIR where logging segment times indicated he was quicker in the TA first time out. He just did his second track event in the TA last weekend at Sebring, and despite it being his first time there just ripped through the field on Hoosiers...kind of like they were standing still.

I'll be interested to his comparisons of the ACR and TA performance. All cars on fast tracks obviously benefit from aero, but that can be added along with adjustable suspension if the rest of the package is up to it, and if the TA compares favorably in the hands of an experienced ACR driver then I think it looks very promising.

Check out his thread and video... http://driveviper.com/forums/threads/7115-Weekend-at-Sebring

Steve M
01-28-2015, 04:18 PM
Reading through the thread about this on the Corvette Forum reminds me of people that personally identify with their favorite sports team as if they were actually responsible for their success/failure, and are somehow reliant on it on an emotional level. It's to be expected on the internet, but that doesn't make it any less sad.

v10enomous
01-31-2015, 08:09 PM
BS

https://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/the-chevrolet-corvette-z06-did-not-lap-the--ring-in-under-7-minutes-165439769.html

FLATOUT
01-31-2015, 11:06 PM
Bruce those comments were from Ben Keating himself to us.

I'd like to hear more about that. Were those comments from an article by chance that could be linked?

I met 09 ACR (Gary) at VIR last summer in his ACR and I had my TA. He soon after bought a TA and went back to VIR where logging segment times indicated he was quicker in the TA first time out. He just did his second track event in the TA last weekend at Sebring, and despite it being his first time there just ripped through the field on Hoosiers...kind of like they were standing still.

I'll be interested to his comparisons of the ACR and TA performance. All cars on fast tracks obviously benefit from aero, but that can be added along with adjustable suspension if the rest of the package is up to it, and if the TA compares favorably in the hands of an experienced ACR driver then I think it looks very promising.

Check out his thread and video... http://driveviper.com/forums/threads/7115-Weekend-at-Sebring

Shooter
02-01-2015, 01:38 AM

Perhaps you'll notice I said "maybe the TA 2.0". It might just have the right combination of corner speed/grip/downforce and enough strait line speed to surprise us. The heavy ass pre-production Datsun did it, mostly due to the crazy grip it has on corner exit. While I'm an ACR believer, I'm not inclined to dismiss the 2.0 so readily. I bet it and Dom could squeak out a 7:08-7:10