PDA

View Full Version : Treat White Corrosion Dust on Aluminum?

Vipermann
01-24-2015, 03:55 PM
I have whitish corrosion dust on the engine intake runners and other aluminum parts - even the VIPER letters on the valve covers.

I wire brushed it off about a month ago, and even used metal polish on the letters. It's back now, and maybe even more so. :mad:

Any suggestions?

Vprbite
01-24-2015, 04:26 PM
My thought is maybe you scratched them with the brush and made them more porous. After the polish is there a sealant the same company offers? If not maybe after polish you can have them cleared.

BillyC
01-24-2015, 06:55 PM
I had mine painted and clear coated.
BillyC8555

C.J
01-24-2015, 07:01 PM
Any good aluminum polish will remove that oxidation. Simichrome works well and will also help keep the oxidation returning for some time. It will also work on the magnesium rocker cover letters.

Vipermann
01-24-2015, 07:52 PM
It's the rough unfinished areas like the intake runners. Can't polish those. Was hoping for some kind of spray.

TrackAire
01-24-2015, 11:04 PM
To remove that white aluminum oxidation, I was told to use distilled vinegar.....might be worth a try in a inconspicuous spot and see how it works.

Rocket
01-24-2015, 11:20 PM
There was an aluminum mag cleaner that was acid based that will work - not sure that I would use it on the valve covers though. NOTE - DO NOT use on your wheels as it will dull the clearcoat!!! I just taped off the painted area on the valve cover and used a fine sanding block.

C.J
01-25-2015, 09:02 AM
I've used simichrome with a toothbrush for unpolished aluminum and it worked very well. A clean toothbrush was used to scrub out the polish too.. This was done on the water pump casting, so I'm not sure if that is a similar surface texture to the intake.

steve911
01-25-2015, 09:48 AM
The use of an alkaline cleaner will work great.
Here's a tip I learned decades ago and it still holds true today. Wash any bare alumnum part that can be removed in the dishwasher. Dishwasher soap is mildly alkaline ( thats why it cleans without suds) It will come out clean and shiny. Next step is to turn the oven on to about 150 and put your part in it until it gets good and warm (not too hot). Remove it and apply you favorite wax (NOT Polish). wait until the part cools and buff off.
Heating the clean part opens the pores of the metal somewhat and the wax is really absorbed. It really works.

If the part cannot be removed, make a solution of diswasher soap, apply it, let it set for several minutes, scrub off and rinse. I cannot speak to whether or not it will dull paint if left on as I alsways mask off just to be sure.