PDA

View Full Version : Starter button

Blue T/A 2.0
01-18-2015, 08:14 PM
Not driven a Gen 5, do you need a key or just have the remote in your pocket and use the starter button? Also do you use the remote to unlock the doors or is the remote passive?

theviper
01-18-2015, 08:26 PM
All keyless (i.e. the keys can remain in your pocket).

Blue T/A 2.0
01-18-2015, 08:29 PM
Thanks. That is what I expected, but was not sure.

nastygts
01-18-2015, 10:34 PM

Except for exiting....the car must be locked with the interior lock button, or the key fob button.

Policy Limits
01-20-2015, 08:26 PM
The doors pop open on their own. Magic!

nastygts
01-20-2015, 09:57 PM
The doors pop open on their own. Magic!

LOL not funny!

1.8t
01-20-2015, 09:59 PM
Except for exiting....the car must be locked with the interior lock button, or the key fob button.

I always wondered why there was no an auto lock option so you don't have to press the interior button or the key fob lock button upon exiting. For a $100k car, this seems so obvious...unless I am retarded and it exists and I just skipped that part in the owners manual. Hopefully I am retarded.

Zybane
01-21-2015, 12:11 AM
I have multiple key-les entry vehicles. I've never heard of an auto-lock option. Seems that could get you in trouble under the right circumstances.

genVer
01-21-2015, 07:52 AM
I have multiple key-les entry vehicles. I've never heard of an auto-lock option. Seems that could get you in trouble under the right circumstances.

Corvette has had the auto lock feature for the past 10 years. There's a warning honk if you leave your key inside the vehicle. It's one of the few things I miss about my Z06.

Viktimize
01-21-2015, 09:03 AM
I always wondered why there was no an auto lock option so you don't have to press the interior button or the key fob lock button upon exiting. For a $100k car, this seems so obvious...unless I am retarded and it exists and I just skipped that part in the owners manual. Hopefully I am retarded.

I would've sworn my SRT-8 300 used to do it, but I'm sure I am wrong. But you're right, why they wouldn't do this is puzzling.

What could get you in trouble? It's impossible to lock your keys in the car. Or you mean if you accidentally leave the keys in it? Which wouldn't be any more dangerous than any other car.

Corvette has had the auto lock feature for the past 10 years. There's a warning honk if you leave your key inside the vehicle. It's one of the few things I miss about my Z06.

What is the purpose of that? And how does it know whether you left the keys or are just sitting in the car?

Zybane
01-21-2015, 09:57 AM

Yes, the car detects the key not in the vehicle so it can lock. But what if you walk away and it locks automatically with someone/kid/pet inside that you didn't want locked inside. It will lock at times when you don't want it to lock. Just haven't seen this feature on my other keyless entry vehicles, and it's not like Dodge couldn't put it on the Viper. Sounds like they omitted it for a reason.

genVer
01-21-2015, 10:03 AM
But what if you walk away and it locks automatically with someone/kid/pet inside that you didn't want locked inside.

If it locks with someone in the car they are still able to open it from the inside... As far as children or pets; why would you walk away with them inside?

What is the purpose of that? And how does it know whether you left the keys or are just sitting in the car?

So you don't have to take your key out of your pocket; nice being able to walk away without having to remember to lock it. It works off whether the door has been opened. If you open the door and then close it without getting out of the car it would honk, reading it as you've left the key inside.

Zybane
01-21-2015, 10:08 AM
If it locks with someone in the car they are still able to open it from the inside... As far as children or pets; why would you walk away with them inside?

You don't get the point, it will lock when you don't want it to automatically/when you are spacing out. People inadvertently lock children and pets in all the time. You've never seen those dozens of stories during the summer of people killing their children inside vehicles? A small child isn't going to know how to open a car door.

May be a reason why Dodge didn't use the feature. I don't think they omitted it just for the hell of it.

Viktimize
01-21-2015, 02:34 PM

So you don't have to take your key out of your pocket; nice being able to walk away without having to remember to lock it. It works off whether the door has been opened. If you open the door and then close it without getting out of the car it would honk, reading it as you've left the key inside.

So it's just a warning honk to let you know your car isn't locked basically?

Viktimize
01-21-2015, 02:36 PM
You don't get the point, it will lock when you don't want it to automatically/when you are spacing out. People inadvertently lock children and pets in all the time. You've never seen those dozens of stories during the summer of people killing their children inside vehicles? A small child isn't going to know how to open a car door.

May be a reason why Dodge didn't use the feature. I don't think they omitted it just for the hell of it.

I don't think you're getting his point though. How is this different form a regular system of using the fob to lock the car? In either sense if you walk away and lock your dog or kid in the car, you're going to put them at risk if it isn't a kid big enough to pull the inside door handle on their own.

ViperJon
01-21-2015, 02:52 PM
I don't think you're getting his point though. How is this different form a regular system of using the fob to lock the car? In either sense if you walk away and lock your dog or kid in the car, you're going to put them at risk if it isn't a kid big enough to pull the inside door handle on their own.

Because one way YOU are in control of whether to lock the car or not and the other you're not?

swexlin
01-21-2015, 06:11 PM
I guess I'm old fashioned in that I use the button on the fob to lock and unlock it.

genVer
01-21-2015, 07:22 PM
So it's just a warning honk to let you know your car isn't locked basically?

Actually it's a warning honk that the car is about to be automaticly locked. You have 3 seconds to open the door again to stop it from locking. I've done it once or twice (left key in pocket with pants in gym bag) and had plenty of time to open the door to grab the key before it locked. It really is an effective system and I miss that functionality.

Viktimize
01-21-2015, 08:23 PM
Actually it's a warning honk that the car is about to be automaticly locked. You have 3 seconds to open the door again to stop it from locking. I've done it once or twice (left key in pocket with pants in gym bag) and had plenty of time to open the door to grab the key before it locked. It really is an effective system and I miss that functionality.

Oh I see now. The Corvette system is a royal piece of shit. No wonder I couldn't figure out what you were talking about. lol

What is the point of it locking the car with the proximity fob inside? Who cares if the door locks, all you have to do is grab the door handle and open the door since the fob is in proximity. That is the whole point of a system like that. And that is why auto lock is such a good idea, because it is impossible to lock your keys in the car anyway, so there really shouldn't be any warning honk required.

I'm guessing the Chevy doesn't actually have a proximity key, but they stupidly put an auto lock feature on the car anyway? That's really the only way what you described makes any sense. In that case, I could see why someone would think the auto lock is a bad idea(because it is). But on a properly thought out and functioning system like Dodge uses, an auto lock is just common sense.

Vprbite
01-22-2015, 02:46 AM

If the key was in your gym bag, wouldn't the vehicle be under the impression you were standing right next to it? (Next to it, right behind it, at least in damn close proximity) Say, getting gas, showing it off, cleaning brake dust off the wheels...all things you would prefer to do without the alarm set.

I thought the point of these things was you could just put the fob (or whatever device it is for that particular car be it fob or card) in your pocket and walk up to it and it unlocks and disarms as you get about 10 feet away and when you get to your destination you can get out, walk over and open the door for your wife, walk towards the restaurant and as you get about 10 feet away it locks and arms automatically without you ever thinking about it.

I am just about to install an aftermarket system that does exactly that but uses a "credit card" instead of a fob. Same idea though. Keyless without thinking about it.

I don't understand how a corvette or any other car with one of these would have locked with the transponder device in the vehicle while stationary.

Ninjakris
01-22-2015, 06:44 AM
my DD is a 14' Mazda 3 and it has a keyless fob like the viper. However, it has a little black button on the outside of the handle. Push it and one beep is lock, two beeps are unlock. Simply and effective system. It also won't let you lock your keys In The car as proximity sensor knows the keys are still inside.

One other thing I dislike about the starter button is I have to hold it until the car fully starts. It's been years since I have seen a new car like that. Almost always all you have to do is push the button one time and the car will do the complete startup sequence.

genVer
01-22-2015, 09:17 AM
If the key was in your gym bag, wouldn't the vehicle be under the impression you were standing right next to it?

I thought the point of these things was you could just put the fob (or whatever device it is for that particular car be it fob or card) in your pocket and walk up to it and it unlocks and disarms as you get about 10 feet away and when you get to your destination you can get out, walk over and open the door for your wife, walk towards the restaurant and as you get about 10 feet away it locks and arms automatically without you ever thinking about it.

Gym bag was left in the car. While not perfect, I would prefer an auto lock similar to the Corvette over none at all. JMHO

Vprbite
01-22-2015, 12:35 PM
I thought so. I meant with the gym bag in the car in the rear hatch, doesn't it just think you are standing right next to the trunk? Or know that the key is close enough to not want to lock?

genVer
01-22-2015, 01:15 PM
I thought so. I meant with the gym bag in the car in the rear hatch, doesn't it just think you are standing right next to the trunk? Or know that the key is close enough to not want to lock?

If i remember correctly it is programmable via the DIC. You choose a desired length of time to wait until the car auto locks once you leave it. If you leave the key anywhere inside it will sound the horn to warn you to get the key before it locks. When you return it works the same as the Viper and auto unlocks the doors.

Viktimize
01-22-2015, 09:09 PM
If i remember correctly it is programmable via the DIC. You choose a desired length of time to wait until the car auto locks once you leave it. If you leave the key anywhere inside it will sound the horn to warn you to get the key before it locks. When you return it works the same as the Viper and auto unlocks the doors.

So it is basically just a warning that you left your keys in the car, to prevent you from having your car stolen.