PDA

View Full Version : Challengers, Chargers, Vipers, and America

daytonprowler
01-15-2015, 01:38 PM
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/01/15/dodge-charger-challenger-hellcat-viper-road-trip-review/

Viktimize
01-15-2015, 09:04 PM
Apparently I need to drive a Corvette one of these days. Magazine people always talk about the harshness of the Viper for regular driving. But I have never found it to be harsh at all on a freeway/highway drive. But apparently the vette is that much smoother?

ViperTony
01-15-2015, 09:14 PM
"Make no mistake, the Viper was not an easy car to drive on roads like this. It took constant steering inputs, and deliberate throttle inputs to keep the immense power tamped, being careful to keep the rear end nailed down."

Really? No shit. You had to actually drive a car. You had to actually use *gasp* the steering wheel turn and the gas pedal?!? WTF.

Chorps
01-15-2015, 09:59 PM
I don't get it either. I have no issues cruising for 500-1000 miles in a day with the Viper other than lack of cruise control in my Gen IV (too easy to break the speed limit since gravity keeps pulling my right foot down).

swexlin
01-16-2015, 08:30 AM
Never understood it either. I drove my 03 back and forth 100 miles, and more, and while it took concentration, I didn't feel trashed either. My Gen 5 haven't had on any longer trip yet, but it's very comfy.

Blue T/A 2.0
01-16-2015, 08:37 AM
Where do they get these guys, the cosmetics counter at the local mall?

swexlin
01-16-2015, 08:38 AM
He seemed to HATE the car. "Insufferable" on the highway? What is he smoking? If I lived in a warm weather all year city, I could daily drive this thing. Did he get a car where there was actually something wrong? It's this kind of review that really turn people off of the car

LonghornTX
01-16-2015, 09:26 AM
The guy obviously doesn't have a lot of interest in raw, driver's oriented cars. Or potentially much driving skill either, if he thinks he can hustle a regular C7 faster than a Viper. Seems like the kind of guy that would rave over the newest GTI model...nothing wrong with those types of drivers or cars (I actually like the GTI), but not the type of guy that is going to rave about the Viper

FrgMstr
01-16-2015, 09:40 AM
Well all was not bad in his recount of the drive. He does however seem to want a sedan on a long straight road going the speed limit.

It was a demanding driving, loud and rough, yet wholly rewarding and a total riot. Reflecting on that long, empty stretch of US-191, I realized I probably could have done the whole thing more quickly and with more confidence in a less-powerful Corvette Stingray. But it wouldn't have been as invigorating, simply because of how hard I had to work to keep the Snake in line.

The rest of the drive north through the Arizona high desert offered up another postcard-worthy sunset with long expanses of pink sky and cooler temperatures. Yet, it paled in comparison to the two-hours of sun-drenched mountain road the Viper had just conquered.

After 500 miles of pain and pleasure, I learned that the Viper is an imperfect machine – insufferable on the highway, terrible to live with under everyday driving conditions, yet immensely rewarding and hilariously entertaining when pushed hard.

I have driven Vipers a LOT around the United States. One two day trip for 2000 miles. An 5 day trip over 3000 miles. The Viper is a car that you can never ignore when driving. It is not a "cruising machine" in any way shape or form. It does require constant attention while driving and I think this is his message although he really does not know how to put it. To put it simply, it is easier to drive these cars fast and hard than it is slow and easy. Damn things were just not built for slow and easy. All that said, the Gen IV Viper has the most comfortable seat I have ever sat in for long distances and my herniated disks at L3 and L4 will attest to that.

Dusty1
01-16-2015, 09:45 AM
Wonder if he had the suspension set on track, when it should have been on street given his taste.

v10enomous
01-16-2015, 10:26 AM
One look at his FB page and it's clear that this guy will have his own show on MSNBC if they ever branch into automotive stuff... lol

https://www.facebook.com/sjewing/photos

Sybil TF
01-16-2015, 10:34 AM
He seemed to HATE the car. Must be a wimp....

swexlin
01-16-2015, 02:06 PM
Must be a wimp....

You're right! I think you should go set him straight!

ViperGeorge
01-16-2015, 02:09 PM
The guy's a weenie. He clearly doesn't have a clue but I'm sure he love those self-driving cars from Google when they hit the showrooms.