PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle/Car hauler info

golfer15
01-13-2015, 08:48 PM
What better place to get info about car haulers and pulling vehicles than here, as I've never had any experience with car haulers whatsoever. In reading through the archives, it's pretty much personal preference whether to go with open or enclosed trailers. Currently I'm leaning to an enclosed 24' to pull the viper from the great white north to the sunny beaches of the Clearwater FL area and back 3 months later. The vehicle I'm looking at doing this is a 2014 JGC Overland 5.7L. Are there any issues anyone can see? I'm just wondering if the jeep is enough, according to specs it has a 7,200 lb. towing capacity. It will be my wife's DD for about 7 months of the year, then our winter beater the rest.

Junkie
01-13-2015, 08:52 PM
With a gas truck I like to stay with open trailers. The bigger trailers are just so much nicer to yank around with a diesel truck.

J TNT
01-13-2015, 09:14 PM
Here is a link for light weight trailers John . 900lbs for open trailer http://www.trailex.com/open_bolted_car_trailers.cfm

MoparBoy is a good source of info on the subject , hopefully he will chime in . :)

P.S. Get Electric Brakes on your Trailer . They have saved me a few times ! :eek:

Enjoy ! ;)

IndyRon
01-13-2015, 10:19 PM
What better place to get info about car haulers and pulling vehicles than here, as I've never had any experience with car haulers whatsoever. In reading through the archives, it's pretty much personal preference whether to go with open or enclosed trailers. Currently I'm leaning to an enclosed 24' to pull the viper from the great white north to the sunny beaches of the Clearwater FL area and back 3 months later. The vehicle I'm looking at doing this is a 2014 JGC Overland 5.7L. Are there any issues anyone can see? I'm just wondering if the jeep is enough, according to specs it has a 7,200 lb. towing capacity. It will be my wife's DD for about 7 months of the year, then our winter beater the rest.

I can tell you that you will have no problem hauling the Viper on an open trailer with that Jeep. My wife has a JGC Overland Summit 3.6L V6 and it hauls a 5k# car/trailer without issue at 70mph. I think as mentioned earlier that you'll want to stay away from enclosed unless you are going with a full size pickup truck, preferably diesel. The fuel mileage, especially at interstate speeds is a big hit with enclosed given the extra weight plus wind resistance plus the cost of an enclosed trailer for what amounts to 2 trips/yr is a little much.

Redx
01-13-2015, 11:29 PM
As mentioned, enclosed with a diesel, my f350 pulls my 22" race trailer no problem but i wouldn't want to try it with a 1/2 ton or less. Not saying it cant do it, its sketchy as hell towing something thats heavier than the vehicle pulling it, especially when your load is pushing you on a downhill grade.

I thought this was pretty awesome too,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgpnzWepRn0

http://www.maxeytrailers.com/trailers.php?cat=22

Dusty1
01-14-2015, 11:24 AM
That is pretty cool but wonder what that trailer weighs. We have a 20' tilt back that our Suburban towed well after adding some airbags on the back. If going enclosed would recommend a diesel and dually if you can afford it, amazing pull vehicles.

Richard

XSnake
01-14-2015, 12:00 PM
I tow my 24 enclosed with my 14' 1500 Ram 5.7. No issues. I did get stiffer springs in the rear to keep everything level though

Slithr
01-14-2015, 12:36 PM
This is an option I'm considering, and might be the best of both worlds? A soft-sided cover for an open trailer seems like it might provide the weight savings you're looking for and still protect the car. This can be retro-fitted to an existing trailer or they can work with your trailer mfg. I'm thinking a Sloan roll-back open trailer (like Dusty 1's), with a soft-sided cover.

Shooter
01-14-2015, 12:50 PM
This is an option I'm considering, and might be the best of both worlds? A soft-sided cover for an open trailer seems like it might provide the weight savings you're looking for and still protect the car. This can be retro-fitted to an existing trailer or they can work with your trailer mfg. I'm thinking a Sloan roll-back open trailer (like Dusty 1's), with a soft-sided cover.

Huh. That's different Alan.

Slithr
01-14-2015, 01:03 PM
Huh. That's different Alan.

I don't think the one pictured is the exact covered trailer I checked into last year, but it was the only one of the same concept, I could quickly find pictures of. This one looks of lesser quality but functional, if I can find the Mfg. and pictures of the other one, I'll post them.

Richard S., Mike G. and Billy S., of the Houston club all bought 20'0 Sloan Alum. Roll-Backs with a tire rack and winch on front. Mike said if he did it again, the only thing he would've done differently is go with a 22' for a better approach angle for the ACR. The soft-sided unit I looked into last year was on tracks and could be rolled forward and secured to pull openly, or the cover could be slid back to cover the car when needed, I thought it was a cool idea.

Herrsss
01-14-2015, 01:26 PM

I think that's a great idea - we might buy one for our open trailer. The first time I ever trailered the ACRX I bought from Tim P I ended up with a cracked windshield. A rock managed to make it over/around the rock shield and tire rack with tires loaded to hit the top of the windshield and crack all the way to the bottom! Darn it, I had to buy a Lexan windshield to replace it!

Slithr
01-14-2015, 02:23 PM
I found the link and pictures I was previously looking for:

The company is Serpent Express (name fits the cause) http://www.serpentexpress.com/Home.html

Here are a few pictures of the serpent Express Trailer
http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/n599/Slithr/57b91cf996e113a9d7f083fb2cead0d4_f73b_zpsf083ba21. jpg
http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/n599/Slithr/22fa075fbe3f3878c061890f80635287_zps96873f3c.jpg
http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/n599/Slithr/08574cfd705b1600aca13cbc63839ab9_zps2ada6549.jpg

When I spoke with the owner last year he said this cover can be retro-fitted to an existing trailer or he could work with the trailer Mfg. to install the tracks and cover. My plan was to have him work with Sloan and add the cover to a roll-back trailer.
http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/n599/Slithr/viper1b_zps6532380d.jpg

Dusty1
01-14-2015, 04:10 PM
Great idea as long as you can get to the tie down points.

pastohio
01-14-2015, 05:44 PM
I wouldn't use a jeep, too short of wheel base, the vehicle hops all over your lane, and I would always add stabilizer bars and at least one sway bar as well....just good insurance to have...

Voice of Reason
01-14-2015, 07:23 PM
That Serpent Express hauler looks really cool. My tow vehicle will be a 2015 JGC Overland V6 so I need something light due to its 6,200 towing rating. I didn't think there would be any way to have the vehicle enclosed until seeing this.

I've never towed before, will there be a noticeable difference between towing 5,250 lbs vs 4,650 lbs? That's the difference between their steel vs aluminum units loaded with my car, is the additional $2k worth it? If it matters I'd say 99% of all towing I'll ever do will be in the flat Midwest.

IndyRon
01-14-2015, 08:03 PM
That Serpent Express hauler looks really cool. My tow vehicle will be a 2015 JGC Overland V6 so I need something light due to its 6,200 towing rating. I didn't think there would be any way to have the vehicle enclosed until seeing this.

I've never towed before, will there be a noticeable difference between towing 5,250 lbs vs 4,650 lbs? That's the difference between their steel vs aluminum units loaded with my car, is the additional $2k worth it? If it matters I'd say 99% of all towing I'll ever do will be in the flat Midwest.

You won't notice the difference of what amounts to an extra 3 people in the car with you as that's the weight difference you are talking about. I'd save the $$$.

golfer15
01-14-2015, 08:30 PM
Thanks for all the info folks!! Now I have more homework to do, especially on the serpent express!!!!!!

VoodooRob
01-14-2015, 10:34 PM
The shorter the wheelbase, the worse the tow. Tail wagging the dog at 65 MPH is not fun. More important than if a vehicle is able to tow "X" is will it stop safely and under control? EOH on trailer or surge?

TrackAire
01-15-2015, 12:43 AM

Weight doesn't effect the towing as much as aerodynamic drag for an enclosed setup especially when it comes to mpg's. I wouldn't give up my enclosed trailer for anything, but the aero drag is pretty disappointing when it comes to gas mileage. My trailer has a couple of AC unit type shrouds on the top, is 102" wide and does not have a flat bottom. I've towed it long distances both empty and with a car inside of it. Amazingly, the mileage is nearly identical on flat ground towing (maybe 1 mpg difference). Head winds really suck.

People think that the shape of the enclosed trailer will help with mpg if the trailer is pointy, V-nosed, etc. Overall, the surface area is the most important aspect.....even a horizontal flat surface creates drag.

That $2000.00 difference will buy a lot of gasoline.

RT SERPENT
01-17-2015, 10:04 AM
Ram 1500 5.7l does just fine towing an enclosed 24'

v10enomous
02-11-2015, 01:03 PM
I was looking at large sheds and prefab garages but now for about the same money I'm considering an enclosed car hauler that I would use primarily to keep my SidexSide ATVs and boat stuff stored and then used occasionally for some of these more distant car events. What concerns me is getting in and out of the car when it's in the trailer. Are there any particular brands or styles that are better than others ? I also see some concerns about gas vs diesel as I have a 2014 Hemi Ram Quad cab I figured it would be OK for every now and then. I'm seeing new 8.5 x 20' trailers in the $4-5k range. Is 20' sufficient vs 24' and what should i expect to pay new ? Is it worth looking at used trailers ?

http://poconos.craigslist.org/rvd/4825123878.html

http://poconos.craigslist.org/fod/4844493553.html

Vprbite
02-12-2015, 12:15 AM
Are those serpent express trailers made to be towed with the soft sides up? I thought you tow "open" and then set up the soft sides when at your destination. If you tow with the soft sides up, that must be a pretty stout frame they are dealing with, right?

Either way I like the concept. Nice to have a place to sleep on track weekends. A couple of air mattresses and you would be plenty comfy in there.

v10enomous
02-12-2015, 07:22 AM
My tow vehicle will be a 2015 JGC Overland V6 so I need something light due to its 6,200 towing rating.

I just traded from a 2012 Grand Cherokee V6 to the 5.7 Hemi Ram. I was pulling an ATV trailer in the 2,500lb range with the JGC and it was OK but that V6 was really working especially on hills. There is no way I would attempt to pull an enclosed loaded car hauler any distance with a V6 JGC with the limited power and braking capability and suspension. I had the same loaded ATV trailer on the back of the Hemi truck a few times now and it's like you don't even know it's there especially with the 8 speed trans I never even used the tow mode.