PDA

View Full Version : New Ford GT unveiled

TooBlue
01-12-2015, 09:22 AM
Looks like the rumors are true....

http://jalopnik.com/ford-gt-this-is-it-1678893649

Eachey51
01-12-2015, 09:25 AM
Am i the only one that thinks the back is ugly? http://jalopnik.com/ford-gt-this-is-it-1678893649 repost, sorry

LeadfootRT10
01-12-2015, 09:38 AM
IDK, i thought the title of this article made it so much more enjoyable...

http://jalopnik.com/these-are-the-ford-gt-photos-that-will-make-ferrari-shi-1678957668

Voice of Reason
01-12-2015, 09:44 AM
Ford has lost their minds putting a V6 in it.

Brian GTS
01-12-2015, 09:45 AM
It's beautiful, but a V-6? Really? I don't get it.

TrackAire
01-12-2015, 09:49 AM
Wow, that is pretty radical.....Ford obviously decided to go revolution instead of evolution on the design. Should be called the La Ford, lol.

My friend is there and texted me the new track day version of the Mustang.....500 lbs lighter, carbon fiber wheels, etc. Ford is going to help push Dodge and GM to the next level of performance.

City
01-12-2015, 09:59 AM
I also think it's gorgeous, defines exotic.

I haven't read any claim as to vehicle weight. With a V6, and carbon fiber, it would be something if they can get the weight under 3G's. Otherwise, it will be "just" another beautiful sports car with a pricetag north of 250G's.

daytonprowler
01-12-2015, 10:03 AM
WOW!

https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/8-b7AVqdjprtIVQl1YOILQi1dnA=/1020x0/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/2925294/ford-naias-047-1020.0.jpg

https://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/566EDJRVvRqrkS6_M10etizhq2E=/1020x0/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/2925306/ford-naias-037-1020.0.jpg

The_Greg
01-12-2015, 10:04 AM
I really like it. If I had to pick the areas I don't like, its the lower sides and the lower front bumper, but overall it is really, really great. Its taking the GT40 and GT design cues ten steps further, something a supercar should do.

I've thought for a long time, despite my appreciation for the Viper haha, that a V6 with turbos is the ideal powerplant for a street car. I hope this car goes on to prove that it can perform well. I'll certainly miss the awesome sound of a V8 coming out of this car, but hopefully it makes some nice music in a new way.

The_Greg
01-12-2015, 10:05 AM
Wow, that is pretty radical.....Ford obviously decided to go revolution instead of evolution on the design. Should be called the La Ford, lol.

My friend is there and texted me the new track day version of the Mustang.....500 lbs lighter, carbon fiber wheels, etc. Ford is going to help push Dodge and GM to the next level of performance.

And they announced a new Ford Raptor as well. Ford is knocking it out of the park right now!

Junkie
01-12-2015, 10:14 AM
I love it. I dislike the TT V6 and DCT.

Thawk97
01-12-2015, 10:15 AM
It's no Viper, but it looks beautiful (revealed at Detroit - goes on sale next year). The continued production of US supercars is a wonderful thing. Hopefully it continues to provide additional justification for continued Vipers:

gerch85
01-12-2015, 10:25 AM
Not sure about the V6, but i really like it.

Black Pearl
01-12-2015, 10:34 AM
The car does look nice. V6's have come along way in performance.

01sapphirebob
01-12-2015, 10:40 AM
Side profile reminds me of a ferrari enzo

mikesax
01-12-2015, 10:41 AM
I am a CONFIRMED Viper NUT-but this option MUST be explored!!!!! This looks AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sybil TF
01-12-2015, 10:47 AM
What is it? Ford GT?

Torquemonster06
01-12-2015, 10:52 AM
Yep Sybil

Torquemonster06
01-12-2015, 10:53 AM
With an ECO-V6. :dropdev: Im NOT down with the engine choice.

Viper Girl
01-12-2015, 10:53 AM
merging to other posted GT thread

swexlin
01-12-2015, 10:55 AM
I think it's gonna be a helluva car!

Snakebit10
01-12-2015, 11:00 AM
Not bad but I guess I'll be in the minority that's not blown away by it. I much prefer the predecessor. This one reminds of one of those boutique cars from GTM or the like. Maybe it will grow on me with time or in a different color...

I wish they went smaller displacement TT V8 a la P1 instead of this TT V6. That kinda takes away a little exotic/super-car-ness imho.

mikesax
01-12-2015, 11:01 AM
I have 2 Vipers and a Blue Raptor now-you are soooo correct Greg-the new Raptor looks fierce as well-Kudos to Ford-at least for today they are definitely KNOCKING it OUT of the PARK!!!

swexlin
01-12-2015, 11:02 AM
Porsche seems to do OK with a TT Six in the 911....

But I agree, and American car should have more engine...it's our heritage!

Nine Ball
01-12-2015, 11:06 AM
As long as they build the V6 with the potential of the V6 in the Nissan GT-R, and give it some 9,000+ rpm range, it will do fine. But, to target "just over 600hp" isn't cutting it. That was so 2010. By 2017, it will seem far behind the others. I'd target 700+ hp, if I were them.

v10enomous
01-12-2015, 11:07 AM
Way beyond my expectations... Need more info on the way it comes together and what it can do before it can be dismissed by only having a V6. I hope Chrysler and GM are watching and I hope these things are attainable for the guys normally shopping Vipers and High end corvettes. American mid engine super cars are long overdue IMO.

TooBlue
01-12-2015, 11:15 AM
ford has lost their minds putting a v6 in it.

it's beautiful, but a v-6? Really? I don't get it.

600 hp Twin turbo v6

If the car is say 2500# it will be a monster. Then there's tuning, after market parts, bigger turbos etc.

It's a good time to be a car guy no matter which brand has your allegiance!

BlknBlu
01-12-2015, 11:21 AM
It does not look like a Ford product at all, very exotic an has cues of a Ferrari, need to see in person

Bruce

Shooter
01-12-2015, 11:25 AM
I'm liking that Shelby GT350R. I can see it becoming a stable mate to my wife's Gen V. I've always wanted a Shelby, just had to wait for a track oriented one to come along.

FrgMstr
01-12-2015, 11:27 AM
All about power to weight ratio. 600hp in a 2500 pound car will be a big deal. 3500 pound car, not so much.

J TNT
01-12-2015, 11:28 AM
It will be interesting to see the full specs !

v10enomous
01-12-2015, 11:33 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqmYaBJ0kqg

Brian GTS
01-12-2015, 11:33 AM
I'm not looking at the V-6 from a lack of power standpoint. I'm certain it will meet power expectations.

Having big American muscle under the hood is the heritage of the car....the rumble, exhaust tone, and just flat out raw power.....not ZING! ZING! ZING! ;) It's a gorgeous car though.

v10enomous
01-12-2015, 11:35 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ru1f0a69p4s

swexlin
01-12-2015, 11:37 AM
Ford might be sandbagging it. Remember the Hellcat was going to be 600+. and look where that came in?

I would not be at ALL surprised if it comes in much higher - like 700.

Snakebit10
01-12-2015, 11:43 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqmYaBJ0kqg

Ok ok ok....Seeing this vid gives me a better visual understanding of the car. I like it a bit better now. That aero treatment aft of the cockpit is sick.

TooBlue
01-12-2015, 11:43 AM
Gotta remember F1 is only a 2.0 liter turbo...

Of course that is probably a million dollar 2.0....:)

pony23
01-12-2015, 11:47 AM
Love the looks of the car. Ford hit a home run with it. Ford put the v6 in a race car the other year,so you knew this would be the evolution for them. Power to weight will be the real question.

Love the American flag on the dash right next to the car number!!!!!

TrackAire
01-12-2015, 12:00 PM
Maybe Sergio knows what is coming down the pike from Ford and GM with their mid engine supercars.......no wonder he wants to dump Ferrari from the Fiat nest. If Ford and GM take just 20% of Ferrari's USA sales, that would be a very flat year in earnings.

v10enomous
01-12-2015, 12:01 PM
Low production, active aero, carbon fiber chassis... Sounds expensive. Probably no $15k vouchers either.:)

GBS
01-12-2015, 12:09 PM
I really like the looks of it. Not sure about the 600 HP Twin Turbo V6.

Dman
01-12-2015, 12:26 PM
Ford says at least 600HP, the last time they said 'at least 600HP" it was the GT500 which ended up with 662HP. I'd be surprised if this doesn't push that number or more, with full CF, weight and engine choice could put this at 3,000 or less.

To me this is a 100% shot at Ferrari, I mean if you didn't know who made it I guarantee we'd have Ferrari on the top 3 possibilities, look at that interior as well, the whole thing could be a new Ferrari model, and Ford is going racing with this. We've been speculating about the flat plane going in it, but this combo will yield more power (flat plane is looking like 550ish), light weight & be mod friendly. Very exciting. Only thing I'm concerned about is the price.

bluesrt
01-12-2015, 12:34 PM
Ford has lost their minds putting a V6 in it.

no kidding, I don't care if it has 10 million hp- I don't want a v-6 nothing in a musclecar/supercar

Fatboy 18
01-12-2015, 12:38 PM
Needs a V10

swexlin
01-12-2015, 12:41 PM
no kidding, I don't care if it has 10 million hp- I don't want a v-6 nothing in a musclecar/supercar

Would that prevent you from buying a 911 Turbo?

- - - Updated - - -

Ford says at least 600HP, the last time they said 'at least 600HP" it was the GT500 which ended up with 662HP. I'd be surprised if this doesn't push that number or more, with full CF, weight and engine choice could put this at 3,000 or less.

To me this is a 100% shot at Ferrari, I mean if you didn't know who made it I guarantee we'd have Ferrari on the top 3 possibilities, look at that interior as well, the whole thing could be a new Ferrari model, and Ford is going racing with this. We've been speculating about the flat plane going in it, but this combo will yield more power (flat plane is looking like 550ish), light weight & be mod friendly. Very exciting. Only thing I'm concerned about is the price.

Exactly, this thing is gonna be 700 hp. They're aiming at the 458 successor as well.

City
01-12-2015, 12:46 PM
So what would be the VOA estimate of MSRP? The more I read about this, I'm guessing the listed price is going to be in the $500,000 range. Not to mention that the first 10 will probably be sold for some wild markup.

V10powerr
01-12-2015, 12:50 PM
Love the car - way above my expectation - any idea on price range?

v10enomous
01-12-2015, 12:56 PM
Love the car - way above my expectation - any idea on price range?

Exactly... who cares if this will be out of reach for all but celebrities.

Murpowa
01-12-2015, 12:59 PM
Half a mill? Hell no, I believe this will be priced between a new GT3 or Mclaren 650s

Steve M
01-12-2015, 01:26 PM
Yet another car I will likely never be able to afford...definitely looks cool, although I'm a bit undecided on the V-6 power plant. People have always complained that the Viper exhaust note sucks, and I'm not sure a V-6 is going to fare much better in that department.

The only car I've ever seen less of on a road than a Viper is a Ford GT - I hope I get a chance to see one of these new ones in the flesh on public roads. Good on Ford for bringing this to reality...they certainly won't make a profit on it, but "American exotic" certainly has a nice ring to it, and I'm sure it will give the next generation of car nuts something to dream about, much like the Viper did for me as a kid.

Sybil TF
01-12-2015, 01:58 PM
I like the old one better. V6 blah....Crapette will get a V6 now lol

HobokenViper
01-12-2015, 02:22 PM
Maybe Sergio knows what is coming down the pike from Ford and GM with their mid engine supercars.......no wonder he wants to dump Ferrari from the Fiat nest. If Ford and GM take just 20% of Ferrari's USA sales, that would be a very flat year in earnings.

As much as I'd like to agree and think that Ferrari buyers can be won over and replace a Ferrari purchase with a domestic car like a Ford, Chevy, or Chrysler, I just don't see it happening much at all, if at all. A Ferrari is and will always be what it is, and has the panache and cache that hardly any other car company has. As awesome as our big 3 domestic car companies have become with each of their newest world class Supercars coming to market, I just don't see them taking much if any of Ferrari's market share and diminishing their sales.

This Ford GT successor is a work of art, and looks to me as if a Ford GT, Ferrari Laferrari, and Porsche Carrera GT had a 3-some one night, and this was their love child. I'm not sure about the V6 power plant yet, as that kinda puts me off a bit, but I'm willing to give it a fair shot and am looking forward to when they start videoing it testing so I can also hear what it sounds like. The Viper buyer and Ferrari buyer are usually 2 very different people, although some do own both, or have made the jump back and forth in the past. Not something you typically see too much of though..... Based on looks alone, the Ford GT replacement has the best shot at stealing Ferrari buyers, although someone in the market for a Ferrari usually wants a Ferrari to say that they have one, and wouldn't be at all as excited to say they just spent $200k on a Ford.

The last Ford GT had issues selling at $150k~ when new, largely because people couldn't wrap their brains around a $150k+ Supercar from Ford if I'm not mistaken, while Ferrari continued to have a several month wait-list for their cars. The Ford depreciated a bit at first, and now you can't find one used for under $250k with prices still rapidly rising.

Long story short, I love this new offering from Ford and am curious to see where pricing comes in as well as performance and engine sound. I won't speculate as to price, but I'm curious if having the ecoboost V6 will help hold price down to an otherwise obscenely gorgeous and capable supercar. Regardless, it will be an amazing car sold in very limited numbers, and any smart man will pick one up as an investment car at very least. It is sure to push the Viper to up its ante as well as the Corvette, and I would gladly pick one of these up if I'm able to when they come out.

v10enomous
01-12-2015, 02:30 PM
You sound like a guy with a beautiful Viper that was shunned at the DARE event:lol2:

As much as I'd like to agree and think that Ferrari buyers can be won over and replace a Ferrari purchase with a domestic car like a Ford, Chevy, or Chrysler, I just don't see it happening much at all, if at all. A Ferrari is and will always be what it is, and has the panache and cache that hardly any other car company has. As awesome as our big 3 domestic car companies have become with each of their newest world class Supercars coming to market, I just don't see them taking much if any of Ferrari's market share and diminishing their sales.

This Ford GT successor is a work of art, and looks to me as if a Ford GT, Ferrari Laferrari, and Porsche Carrera GT had a 3-some one night, and this was their love child. I'm not sure about the V6 power plant yet, as that kinda puts me off a bit, but I'm willing to give it a fair shot and am looking forward to when they start videoing it testing so I can also hear what it sounds like. The Viper buyer and Ferrari buyer are usually 2 very different people, although some do own both, or have made the jump back and forth in the past. Not something you typically see too much of though..... Based on looks alone, the Ford GT replacement has the best shot at stealing Ferrari buyers, although someone in the market for a Ferrari usually wants a Ferrari to say that they have one, and wouldn't be at all as excited to say they just spent $200k on a Ford.

The last Ford GT had issues selling at $150k~ when new, largely because people couldn't wrap their brains around a $150k+ Supercar from Ford if I'm not mistaken, while Ferrari continued to have a several month wait-list for their cars. The Ford depreciated a bit at first, and now you can't find one used for under $250k with prices still rapidly rising.

Long story short, I love this new offering from Ford and am curious to see where pricing comes in as well as performance and engine sound. I won't speculate as to price, but I'm curious if having the ecoboost V6 will help hold price down to an otherwise obscenely gorgeous and capable supercar. Regardless, it will be an amazing car sold in very limited numbers, and any smart man will pick one up as an investment car at very least. It is sure to push the Viper to up its ante as well as the Corvette, and I would gladly pick one of these up if I'm able to when they come out.

bluesrt
01-12-2015, 02:51 PM
no Porsche for me, nice car but not my bag of chips, great car all the way- will never own one prolly

Coloviper
01-12-2015, 03:00 PM
Very nice! I do think it is very smart of Ford to put the EcoBoost Stage 4 or Stage 5 or Stage 6 kit in this car as it will reduce weight, protect the 2003-2005 cars as investments (which Ford has committed to being the 100th Anniversary cars) and it is the direction Ford is going with the vast majority of their cars and trucks with the EcoBoost V-6-TT so this is a rolling Halo car. The weight will be way down and I feel their target is under 3,000 lbs. It will be a real contender.

The look on this is very exotic. Rim choice and launch color sucks, but that is about it. The rear is different but not Corvette Ugly (almost sounds like Coyote Ugly).

As far as sound, it will be amazing. I drove in a newer SHO Taurus last year and despite being a V6-TT, it sounded like a V8. It kinda did. I bet it will win over a lot of people who would otherwise thumb their nose at a V6.

I like it and suspect price will be base just under $150K before options. They could be charging $200K or slightly higher but that is NOT what Ford is about. It is not about the money for Ford on this just as it was not about the money on the revised Ford GT. It is a rolling billboard commercial of positivity everywhere it goes.

Good job Ford!

BlknBlu
01-12-2015, 03:04 PM
After seeing the videos, I have to say the car is stunning, sure the V6 is not for everyone but I am sure that car will rev up quickly. Will not be the throaty car from the past and seeing the ECO label on it lessons my interest in what I look for in a high end sportscar. Regardless they nailed it.

Bruce

VYPR BYT
01-12-2015, 03:25 PM
V6 offers significant weight savings along w/cf and Ford has already proven with the stang they can squeeze respectable numbers out of an engine.
Should be very interesting to see how this car performs once we learn more.

TrackAire
01-12-2015, 03:30 PM

I agree about the Ferrari loyalty, status, etc, but times are a changing. A lot of USA buyers by the F car because of what it is, a mid engine exotic. We really don't need to take away all their business, only about 20% and they are stuffed. Of course, all of these is dependent on how great the new FGT will be....if it is awesome and kicks ass, then Ferrari will lose sales, not just here but abroad.

Price is no longer an issue....demand and wants are. A 100k to 200k car is not that expensive to those that are in that market share. 2005 was a different time, the FGT was marketed differently and what is acceptable then would never have had a chance today.

A Ferrari will never look like this:

http://www.carthrottle.com/post/this-is-how-awesome-the-new-ford-gt-would-look-with-a-gulf-livery/

HobokenViper
01-12-2015, 03:33 PM
You sound like a guy with a beautiful Viper that was shunned at the DARE event:lol2:

How did you know? What gave it away?? LOL!!!

That event taught me one thing.....Ferrari snobs want NOTHING to do with any of us "lowly" Viper owners and wouldn't be caught dead being seen in or near our cars. The Ferrari guys I was parked between literally wouldn't even speak to me and acted as if my car was a Volkswagen Beetle that didn't belong within a mile of their cars.

Needless to say, I didn't have a shot in hell winning anything no matter how great my Viper is. Only Lambo's who's deuschy owners sit there redline revving their cars every 10 minutes and the reddest and rarest Ferrari's win anything there. But I did see a very pretty bumblebee Gen V sitting pretty on the lawn that I was very jealous of!!!

Schen
01-12-2015, 04:57 PM
This is all a big joke and here's why.

For most reasons that have already been mentioned, it's an icon. An American icon. It's always had a big brutish V8 that made it a world conquering car. It was the shot at Ferrari, it made LeMans one of the most grandest racing events if not the racing event in the world.

For a while now we've all kinda known what's going on. Government wants all cars to reduce emissions and make six billion miles be gallon. That's all fine and dandy. But the biggest thing that irks me is Ford is deliberately trying to kill the V8 now. Like RIGHT NOW. TODAY. They even shoved the V6 in the Raptor. There's literally no reason for it and that means, most likely at this point, the Mustang will be the LAST V8 powered Ford.

If you look at what's happening across the pond, Porsche, McLaren and Ferrari have the top three hypercars all with hybrid V8's. One making almost 1000HP, while another makes almost 70MPG on hybrid power alone. So what gives Ford? The only way we get into LeMans is with a tiny motor is an excuse. Cause Ferrari is looking to go P1, they might hate turbos but their sticking to their guns and will be using V8s. I guarantee it.

--RS

sparkrn
01-12-2015, 05:23 PM
I hope a v-8 will fit into the engine bay, that 6 banger just don't cut it. Wonderful looking automobile though.

01-12-2015, 05:57 PM
As long as they build the V6 with the potential of the V6 in the Nissan GT-R, and give it some 9,000+ rpm range, it will do fine. But, to target "just over 600hp" isn't cutting it. That was so 2010. By 2017, it will seem far behind the others. I'd target 700+ hp, if I were them.

Right NineBall it's all about getting higher RPMs (more HP/Torque).

01-12-2015, 06:11 PM
We might see a Mid-Engine SuperCar Competition:

Motor City Mid-Engine Madness: Chevrolet and Chrysler’s Response To the Ford GT

Written by Thom Taylor (http://www.hotrod.com/contributors/thom-taylor/) on January 12, 2015 What Chevy and Chrysler Aren't Talking About-Yethttp://image.hotrod.com/f/85578302+w660+h440+q80+re0+cr1+ar0+st0/screen-shot-2015-01-12-at-11.06.02-am.jpg (http://www.hotrod.com/news/motor-city-mid-engine-madness-chevrolet-and-chryslers-response-to-the-ford-gt/?adbid=10152518864367553&adbpl=fb&adbpr=137660057552&sm_id=social_aumohotrodsshub_default_20150112_3865 8417#photo-01)View All 6 Photos

SHARE THIS ARTICLEFACEBOOK (http://www.hotrod.com/news/motor-city-mid-engine-madness-chevrolet-and-chryslers-response-to-the-ford-gt/?adbid=10152518864367553&adbpl=fb&adbpr=137660057552&sm_id=social_aumohotrodsshub_default_20150112_3865 8417#)TWITTER (http://www.hotrod.com/news/motor-city-mid-engine-madness-chevrolet-and-chryslers-response-to-the-ford-gt/?adbid=10152518864367553&adbpl=fb&adbpr=137660057552&sm_id=social_aumohotrodsshub_default_20150112_3865 8417#)GOOGLE+ (http://www.addthis.com/bookmark.php?v=300&winname=addthis&pub=ra-5345d3eb4696b67e&source=tbx-300&lng=en-US&s=google_plusone_share&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hotrod.com%2Fnews%2Fmotor-city-mid-engine-madness-chevrolet-and-chryslers-response-to-the-ford-gt%2F&title=Motor%20City%20Mid-Engine%20Madness%3A%20Chevrolet%20and%20Chrysler%E 2%80%99s%20Response%20To%20the%20Ford%20GT&ate=AT-ra-5345d3eb4696b67e/-/-/54b4619661b78d18/5&frommenu=1&uid=54b46196e77cc9ff&ct=1&pre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2F&tt=0&captcha_provider=nucaptcha)EMAIL (http://www.hotrod.com/news/motor-city-mid-engine-madness-chevrolet-and-chryslers-response-to-the-ford-gt/?adbid=10152518864367553&adbpl=fb&adbpr=137660057552&sm_id=social_aumohotrodsshub_default_20150112_3865 8417#)

Ford’s bombshell reveal of their Ford GT coming to a dealership and racetrack near you next year, brings up the inevitable question: what’s Chevy and/or Chrysler doing in response? Let’s talk about Chevy first.
http://image.hotrod.com/f/85578302+w660+h440+cr1/screen-shot-2015-01-12-at-11.06.02-am.jpg 2/6 (http://www.hotrod.com/news/motor-city-mid-engine-madness-chevrolet-and-chryslers-response-to-the-ford-gt/#photo-02)
Last week numerous images surfaced of a highly disguised test mule. Strategic? Probably, as news had been swirling for weeks about Ford’s intentions to debut their blockbuster GT at the 2015 Detroit Auto Show. We have an artist’s rendition of what that mule could be hiding, courtesy of our sister pub Motor Trend. As you know Chevy has been teasing a mid-engine Corvette for, oh, 40 years or more, but this at least tells us there are some teeth to persistent rumors that Chevy will have a Ford GT response in the near future. What could be hiding under the skin, and whether it would take the place of the current Corvette or be marketed alongside of it as a super-Corvette remains to be seen. Now on to Chrysler.
http://image.hotrod.com/f/85578167+w660+h440+cr1/screen-shot-2015-01-12-at-11.12.14-am.jpg 3/6 (http://www.hotrod.com/news/motor-city-mid-engine-madness-chevrolet-and-chryslers-response-to-the-ford-gt/#photo-03)
Back in 2003 Chrysler had plans for a mid-engine car of their own with the never forgotten ME412. Boasting a 6.0-liter V12 based on the 612 hp twin-turbo AMG engine from a Mercedes SL65, this was a real deal that got lost in the breakup of the Daimler-Chrysler fiasco.
http://image.hotrod.com/f/85578164+w660+h440+cr1/screen-shot-2015-01-12-at-11.11.38-am.jpg 4/6 (http://www.hotrod.com/news/motor-city-mid-engine-madness-chevrolet-and-chryslers-response-to-the-ford-gt/#photo-04)
Now Chrysler is owned by Fiat, and Fiat owns Ferrari. Could this combined with the lukewarm attention the Viper seems to be getting mean something more potent, and more important is being readied within Auburn Hills? Head honcho Sergio Marchionne has made it clear he wants to up the production of Ferraris, which has met with a resounding “No!” from many. Could a mid-engine Chrysler counterpoint to the Ford GT using some or many components from the Ferrari parts bins satisfy Marchionne’s desire to amortize Ferrari parts costs, while giving Chrysler a mid-engine fighter to both bolstering the brand and keep up with the Jones’ in the process? After all, the ME412 was a similar gambit only with parent Mercedes’s components; why not the same scenario with Ferrari?
http://image.hotrod.com/f/85578305+w660+h440+cr1/screen-shot-2015-01-12-at-11.47.33-am.jpg 5/6 (http://www.hotrod.com/news/motor-city-mid-engine-madness-chevrolet-and-chryslers-response-to-the-ford-gt/#photo-05)
Look, this is all just speculation--fantastic, fun, crazy speculation, but anything is possible now that Ford has taken the wraps off of their mind numbing Ford GT. Convertible Buicks, aluminum F150s, and alternative energy whatevers just become so much background noise. It’s a great time to be a car guy and gal!
http://image.hotrod.com/f/85578308+w660+h440+cr1/screen-shot-2015-01-12-at-11.48.07-am.jpg 6/6 (http://www.hotrod.com/news/motor-city-mid-engine-madness-chevrolet-and-chryslers-response-to-the-ford-gt/#photo-06)

Read more: http://www.hotrod.com/news/motor-city-mid-engine-madness-chevrolet-and-chryslers-response-to-the-ford-gt/?adbid=10152518864367553&adbpl=fb&adbpr=137660057552&sm_id=social_aumohotrodsshub_default_20150112_3865 8417#ixzz3OehulX3i
Follow us: @HotRodMagazine on Twitter (http://ec.tynt.com/b/rw?id=aLLBsmA6Cr4jhzadbi-bnq&u=HotRodMagazine) | HotRodMag on Facebook (http://ec.tynt.com/b/rf?id=aLLBsmA6Cr4jhzadbi-bnq&u=HotRodMag)

viper_eddie
01-12-2015, 06:32 PM
Beautiful car and I'm sure the performance will be amazing but

1) they better be careful with their price point because in the 200-300k range they will have the same issue the Viper Gen V did when it was introduced (I think someone already mentioned that here or another thread)

and 2) V6....bleh. Great performance I'm sure but it doesn't have the sound or the heritage.

Nothing about a V6 is exciting to me. People bought the GTR because it was way cheaper yet it still had the performance to beat cars 2-3x the price. This new GT won't be offered for that kind of money so why would you buy this over a Ferrari or the new mid-engined Porsche coming out? That's if it costs more or less the same.

Still, better that they made it!

Murpowa
01-12-2015, 09:06 PM
http://www.carthrottle.com/post/CsLBmD/

EZ 2B Green
01-12-2015, 09:30 PM
It's pretty cool looking. I showed it to the wife and her first impression was that it reminder her of a frog. LOL!
Unfortunately, it has the same problem as the last GT (No trunk space). You can carry a passenger and maybe your lunch. I guess Ford does not plan any National GT Homecomings.

Viper Girl
01-12-2015, 09:39 PM
You can carry a passenger and maybe your lunch.
Whatever happened to no free rides? Passenger holds lunch or you get a new passenger...
Can't be that hard in a car that looks like that, to find a more accommodating passenger... no?

LMAO... :lol2:

GuitarSteve2112
01-12-2015, 09:44 PM
Incorrect amount of pedals. Not interested. I will forgo performance for DRIVING the vehicle.

EZ 2B Green
01-12-2015, 09:46 PM
Ribbit!

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTA612-cin7ugoIVEV1zevlldi0u6y8RHMmHjw_vrwfdjBsr3PK

gfviperman
01-12-2015, 09:46 PM
That is NOT a pretty car ....

EZ 2B Green
01-12-2015, 09:55 PM
One thing we can say about our current generation Viper: It is a beautiful car today and it will be a beautiful car in the future (i.e. timeless). I don't think you can say that about the styling of some of the Viper's competitors.

Chorps
01-12-2015, 10:03 PM
Well I guess the new Ford looks a lot better than this:

http://www.topcarrating.com/ford/1995-ford-gt90-concept-6.jpg

Stealth
01-12-2015, 11:38 PM
Hmmm...well, Glad Ford is building the car. A few observations:

1. Just do NOT like the TT V6. Power may be fine but it is still a V6. Should be at least a TT v8.

2. Like the active aero and aggressive design.

3. Not sure that the design elements are compatible. Some elements appear to be fighting other elements.

4. I suspect the price will be $199k or more. Agree with other posters that >$250k mspr will be a problem notwithstanding appreciation of the last Ford GT.

ssgsnake
01-13-2015, 06:02 AM
Would be nice to have as a second car to the viper

Drummerviper
01-13-2015, 06:34 AM
This is the way you introduce a car that "others" could learn by.

Red Snake
01-13-2015, 07:32 AM
V6=Huge Fail

The_Greg
01-13-2015, 07:46 AM
I'll pass on the word to Ford:

"A V6 is for wimps!
Sincerely,
8.0L+ V10 owners"

All that really matters to me is that when you press the go pedal it puts a smile on your face and your head back to the headrest. It could be powered by a 1/2 cylinder for all I care, as long as the exhaust note is beautiful and the car is quick, who are we to say they're going about it the wrong way?

Space Truckin
01-13-2015, 08:03 AM
With Ford and Acura showing off their "supercars", loved my NSX but certainly two certainly two cylinders must have been missing. Sure am glad I still have my voucher for my17 Viper :United_States:

http://www.engadget.com/gallery/2016-acura-nsx-2/#slide=3266202

http://i.imgur.com/NFUeWY4l.jpg

HobokenViper
01-13-2015, 08:27 AM
Watched Shmee's YouTube video of the intro of the new Ford last night and find myself falling in love with this thing the more I look at it. Such a wild design with the flying buttresses, the tapering design in the back around the engine bay, the "floating" huge air intakes on either side, etc. I wasn't going to speculate on price, but now that I'm in love with the car, I'm finding myself hoping and praying for a price tag south of $160k.......but let's be realistic, that ain't happening. All carbon fiber car, such a radical design like we've never seen before, and the Ford GT heritage, even factoring in inflation from the pricing of the former Ford GT almost a decade ago would bring us close to around $200k. Despite no V8, I found a video on YouTube of the car firing up at the reveal, and it does sound pretty nice.

I hate to say it, but despite it being a competitor of the Viper and Vette Z06 in terms of horsepower and performance numbers, the build materials, design, technology, and limited production numbers will end up driving the price of this car up into the $250k+ range, if not higher. I hope that I am wrong, but I just can't see this going any other way. And yet I already started early negotiations with my wife last night to allow me to get one of these one day down the road......

F2V
01-13-2015, 09:56 AM
I gotta have one!!

IndyRon
01-13-2015, 10:01 AM
I agree with the powerplant choice being a fail. It should be a small displacement twin turbo V8. I do think that since they skipped out on the cost of designing a new engine or adding turbos to the Coyote in the Mustang and instead decided to further R&D a base engine design that is used across their entire line, the cost should be south of 160k.

MtnBiker
01-13-2015, 02:52 PM
V6=Huge Fail

Agree. V10 or more or go home. I mean, all the top end Ferraris are twelves, no?

Chorps
01-13-2015, 03:09 PM
I don't think they picked a configuration out of a hat. Will want to see what reasoning they had to make the engine they did.

Looking at the aero config on this car it is possible that the V6 could fit and the V8 would not, or the length of the block allowed handling characteristics that a longer block would compromise on. If it sounds like a (not current) F1 machine I wouldn't care how many cylinders the car has, as long as it makes an enticing sounds that raises the hairs on the back of my neck.

Steve M
01-13-2015, 03:41 PM
I agree with the powerplant choice being a fail. It should be a small displacement twin turbo V8. I do think that since they skipped out on the cost of designing a new engine or adding turbos to the Coyote in the Mustang and instead decided to further R&D a base engine design that is used across their entire line, the cost should be south of 160k.

The way I'm reading it (and I probably am reading too far into it) is that they wanted to showcase their EcoBoost V6 to gain credibility with all markets, and what better way to do that than by showcasing it in their flagship super car?

"No, no, no...you don't want a V-8 in your F-150. Look at this shiny hunk of carbon fiber over here...they could have put any engine they wanted in it, yet they chose the V-6 EcoBoost. That means it is the best." And the V-8 fades away into obscurity, much like the V-10 probably will in good time.

Even with relatively low R&D cost associated with the powerplant, I still think this thing will be $250k+ due to the materials and low production numbers.

IndyRon
01-13-2015, 07:47 PM
The way I'm reading it (and I probably am reading too far into it) is that they wanted to showcase their EcoBoost V6 to gain credibility with all markets, and what better way to do that than by showcasing it in their flagship super car?

"No, no, no...you don't want a V-8 in your F-150. Look at this shiny hunk of carbon fiber over here...they could have put any engine they wanted in it, yet they chose the V-6 EcoBoost. That means it is the best." And the V-8 fades away into obscurity, much like the V-10 probably will in good time.

Even with relatively low R&D cost associated with the powerplant, I still think this thing will be $250k+ due to the materials and low production numbers.

I'm sure you are right. It just gives me deja vu. Remember this car? The lines actually resemble it also. Supposed to have a V12, ended up with a V6, nobody wanted one anymore.
http://www.diseno-art.com/images_6/Jaguar_XJ220.jpg

v10enomous
01-14-2015, 11:46 AM
I wonder how many guys put a deposit down so far... I wonder what VIN Leno will get...

Policy Limits
01-14-2015, 08:34 PM
I'm in for 1/4 mill or less. But if I can get a new lambo with a naturally aspirated V10 for less dough, then I probably would.

I love the car.

TooBlue
01-15-2015, 07:11 AM
I agree that the should have a V8 but the V6 doesn't sound that bad to me. Of course I LOVE the sound of "snails"...:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3C-qSRnqUZg

I am liking it more and more...

swexlin
01-15-2015, 07:51 AM

I agree. If I were buying a Ford 150 to tow (but I'd be looking at 3/4 or 1-ton diesel), and I had plans on trading every few years - I would go Ecoboost. But, since I don't tow, ad keep my vehicles indefinitely, I'd go with the 5.0. Reason - long term reliability and simplicity. Once that Ecoboost comes of warranty, it's going to get VERY expensive to repair. My opinion only.

But, Ford is REALLY REALLY pushing the Ecoboost engines - and I think a lot of it is political correctness.

ViperSmith
01-15-2015, 08:11 AM

I agree 100%. The new FGT is an advertisement for Ecoboost.

thetalonguy
01-15-2015, 11:58 AM
Word on the street is that this is the complimentary License Plate Ford gives when you order a new FGT.

KURAC
01-25-2015, 09:13 AM
Love the look of the new FGT. Didn't think they could top the design of the previous version, but they did. Those flying buttresses look amazing. If they had to do the Ecoboost V6 to get those buttresses that way then so be it.

Vprbite
01-25-2015, 06:09 PM
It looks better with that heritage paint scheme on it. It's awefully futuristic looking. To me that is a good thing and a bad thing. It looks more spaceship than car.

plumcrazy
01-25-2015, 06:23 PM
I agree that the should have a V8 but the V6 doesn't sound that bad to me. Of course I LOVE the sound of "snails"...:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3C-qSRnqUZg

I am liking it more and more...

totally agree

Sybil TF
01-26-2015, 02:15 PM
Someone will swap in a V8 and make it cool...

viper_eddie
03-03-2015, 05:02 PM
So apparently the car will cost 400k!!! This just came out on Jalopnik but not sure how true or confirmed it is:

http://jalopnik.com/ford-will-make-250-gts-every-year-priced-around-lambo-1689236425

FrgMstr
03-03-2015, 05:14 PM
Yeah, fuck that.

v10enomous
03-03-2015, 05:44 PM
May as well be a million.

ViperSmith
03-03-2015, 06:40 PM
More than you can afford pal, Ford

bluesrt
03-03-2015, 08:01 PM
They will sell. Its got to be big money to protect the old body style money

Vombomb
03-03-2015, 08:49 PM
400k for a ford with a v6?! F-that!!! Was really hoping they were going to go with a version of the flat plane v8 that's goin into the 350...

Coloviper
03-04-2015, 05:41 PM
That 400K is an early number thrown around by some in the industry but the Ford insiders are hoping the car will come in at around $250K which is their target. You have to remember that they want this car to not be in the dealer showroom but out on the street as a rolling showcase to promote their move away from V8s. It does not accomplish that if it is unsold and sitting in a dealer shown room collecting dust looking for that big collector. That does not promote the desire of a V6 car. Willing to bet Ford also does something similar to Dodge with the Hellcat Allocations to push the car to the street. The only way you will see one in a Ford showroom is if the Dealership owner buys it and stores it there.

Vombomb
03-04-2015, 05:48 PM
That 400K is an early number thrown around by some in the industry but the Ford insiders are hoping the car will come in at around $250K which is their target. You have to remember that they want this car to not be in the dealer showroom but out on the street as a rolling showcase to promote their move away from V8s. It does not accomplish that if it is unsold and sitting in a dealer shown room collecting dust looking for that big collector. That does not promote the desire of a V6 car. Willing to bet Ford also does something similar to Dodge with the Hellcat Allocations to push the car to the street. The only way you will see one in a Ford showroom is if the Dealership owner buys it and stores it there.

I just couldn't do it... I couldn't spend 250k or 400k or whatever they want, for a V6. It's just in my "opinion" you can't make a v6 sound good. For such an exotic look, it deserves an exotic sound. I'm so sick of everyone moving away from V8's, V10's, and V12's in super low production exotics, as if it's the proper way to "showcase" how efficient and economical their company is! Can someone explain to me how the masses are going to applaud Ford, and talk about how efficient they are, just because the one supercar they make, has the same block as their Taurus? Ask average Joe what engine the old GT had in it, and I'm willing to bet, they couldn't tell you. Just like the average person doesn't know crap about a viper.

I mean I'm sure I'll get blasted for this post, but damn, am I the only one who's sick of the "modern supercar" being riddled with electronics and super efficient motors, as if that, THAT is going to solve global warming? Yes, lets put a little efficient engine in a car that might see 2000 total over it's production life. Showcase your product in a car that most people are going to see, and relate to. *End Rant*

BlknBlu
03-04-2015, 05:59 PM
Tell that to the Buick GN guys in 1987. It is just a sign of the times.

Bruce

Ripper
03-04-2015, 06:47 PM
I just couldn't do it... I couldn't spend 250k or 400k or whatever they want, for a V6. It's just in my "opinion" you can't make a v6 sound good. For such an exotic look, it deserves an exotic sound. I'm so sick of everyone moving away from V8's, V10's, and V12's in super low production exotics, as if it's the proper way to "showcase" how efficient and economical their company is! Can someone explain to me how the masses are going to applaud Ford, and talk about how efficient they are, just because the one supercar they make, has the same block as their Taurus? Ask average Joe what engine the old GT had in it, and I'm willing to bet, they couldn't tell you. Just like the average person doesn't know crap about a viper.

I mean I'm sure I'll get blasted for this post, but damn, am I the only one who's sick of the "modern supercar" being riddled with electronics and super efficient motors, as if that, THAT is going to solve global warming? Yes, lets put a little efficient engine in a car that might see 2000 total over it's production life. Showcase your product in a car that most people are going to see, and relate to. *End Rant*

Good post and totally agree

Also, to add to this , It's a shame to see sports cars and most all exotics move away from manual transmissions.

I want V8 or bigger , a manual transmission and analog gauges.

viper_eddie
03-04-2015, 07:03 PM

I agree with you too, no reason for you to get blasted. Having said that, I am a fan of flat sixes :)

Brian GTS
03-04-2015, 07:20 PM
Well, I think it's mostly the governmental regulations and manufactures must comply. It is really a bummer. Regardless, I don't think I could spend $250K on any car whether it had a V-6, V-8, V-10, or V-12. I just don't feel any car could be worth that kind of dough....at least to me.

Bugman Jeff
03-06-2015, 11:06 AM
While I would have preferred a V8, the V6 makes sense. The GT is, and always has been, about maximum performance. They can build a better performing car with an Ecoboost V6 than they could with a heavier and more bulky V8. Additionally, most of the kinks have been worked out of the Ecoboost system thanks to their racing efforts, so there will be fewer teething problems. The first GT was an homage to the original GT40. This new GT is a ground up maximum performance supercar.

72hemi
03-06-2015, 01:49 PM
Ford should have asked Jaguar how sales do when you dump a V6 into a supercar, regardless of its performance.

Space Truckin
03-06-2015, 02:07 PM
TMM
As bad ass as the car is...just not seeing $400k, but of course my wallet dictates a lot of what I see.

Vombomb
03-06-2015, 02:28 PM
While I would have preferred a V8, the V6 makes sense. The GT is, and always has been, about maximum performance. They can build a better performing car with an Ecoboost V6 than they could with a heavier and more bulky V8. Additionally, most of the kinks have been worked out of the Ecoboost system thanks to their racing efforts, so there will be fewer teething problems. The first GT was an homage to the original GT40. This new GT is a ground up maximum performance supercar.

Yeah I still don't buy it as a "maximum performance" ploy, I agree with most people saying it's a marketing ploy trying to get everyone to drink the ecoboost punch. We can argue what the first GT was all about, all day long. In the end I just don't believe that the ecoboost belongs in the GT. I think they could've done a lot more with their new flat plane V8, and a lot more people would be willing to throw big money at it. Just my 2 cents.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with you too, no reason for you to get blasted. Having said that, I am a fan of flat sixes :)

Oh I love a flat six, but a v6 will never sound good in my opinion.