PDA

View Full Version : Are we having something similar to a "VOI" in 2014?

Asian Viper
11-19-2013, 09:48 PM
Since moving back to Hawaii over six years ago, we have missed a few VOIs. I was actually looking forward to 2014 and attending with the VCA, but I will not be renewing my membership there. So the question is, are we having one of our own? If so would it be in the same time frame (late September or early October)?
Thanks

daytonprowler
11-23-2013, 08:28 AM
Yes, we will be having a "VOI" type of an event. Planning is going on right now. It will be something new and fresh. :)

Still working on the dates. We will let everyone know as soon as we can. We realize that people need to get their vacation schedules in order at the beginning of the year.

BlknBlu
11-23-2013, 08:29 AM
we need to have a contest to work on a new name, with a new organization.

Bruce

FLATOUT
11-23-2013, 10:11 AM
I have always liked Viper "OWNERS" Invitational because it puts the emphasis on what's important, THE CAR, not these clubs.

There is no VOA, VCA without the car. There should always be a national level event where if you are an owner of the platform you are welcome regardless of clubs, politics, or an owner just not wanting to pay into a local or national chapter.

I say keep it called VOI, or something similar.

BlknBlu
11-23-2013, 10:13 AM
DRIVE= DRIve Viper Event

Bruce

daytonprowler
11-23-2013, 11:47 AM
We want every Viper owner to be there. Well, maybe there are a couple of owners I'd rather not see. LOL

FLATOUT
11-23-2013, 12:14 PM
We want every Viper owner to be there. Well, maybe there are a couple of owners I'd rather not see. LOL

LOL Definitely in agreement.

SmoknTires
11-23-2013, 01:20 PM
Yes, VOI was always intended to be an all-inclusive event. I don't see that changing.

KNG SNKE
11-23-2013, 02:40 PM
I'd go if there was a non track option. Can't see spending 800 dollars a person like required for last year to go watch people race and eat for 3 days. And that didn't include hotel price. There should be staged pricing depending on events you want to do. I was going to come down just for the social aspect.

FLATOUT
11-23-2013, 03:18 PM
Agree should be ala cart so to speak.

I'd go if there was a non track option. Can't see spending 800 dollars a person like required for last year to go watch people race and eat for 3 days. And that didn't include hotel price. There should be staged pricing depending on events you want to do. I was going to come down just for the social aspect.

KNG SNKE
11-23-2013, 04:33 PM
Agree should be ala cart so to speak.

I was definitely up for going this year, definitely was excited. I'm from Virginia Beach so it was a short trip for me as well and I could have taken leave. I just couldn't justify spending 800 bucks to come hang out. And another 800 to bring the wife.

72hemi
11-23-2013, 07:32 PM
Ultimately the price point was what stopped me from going to the last one. Like others I could not justify the cost of the event when I would not be tracking my car, or my wife. Plus we do not need 2 goodie bags.

rw99
11-23-2013, 08:21 PM
Checkbox pricing for track events, 100% agree. That said, we owners need to be willing to prepay, and early, to allow the organizers to accurately scale these "a la carte" driving events.

rw99
11-23-2013, 08:24 PM
Ultimately the price point was what stopped me from going to the last one. Like others I could not justify the cost of the event when I would not be tracking my car, or my wife. Plus we do not need 2 goodie bags.
John, good to hear you won't be tracking your wife.

She wouldn't be to happy about that, pretty sure ;)

72hemi
11-23-2013, 11:30 PM
LOL thanks Rich. and for the record my wife will not be tracking my Viper. ;)

HyperViper
01-02-2014, 09:37 PM
Any update on this? Location, dates?

Newport Viper
01-02-2014, 10:40 PM
Viper Owners Association Invitational VOAI

HyperViper
01-03-2014, 04:24 AM
I tried that but didn't like the ring to it :p

slitherv10
01-03-2014, 07:31 AM
Keeping in mind that ,this club at the present time is smaller than what was with the other club and that most posts I noticed have members looking to have the event close to them, an idea that could come to play would be to make 2 VOI type events that could be spread out among the whole regional area(northern and southern) of the VOA thus allowing more regions to be "closer" and accommodating more members. The cost issue could also be solved with that idea as more will attend and less costs involved with two smaller events instead of the large costs associated with a large event and less attendance because of costs and distance. I know that distance and cost were the two big hurdles most found when deciding on attending last years events and this might be a solution that could help the cause.

Just a thought that could be discussed among the Board.

HyperViper
01-03-2014, 09:29 AM
How about VIPERFEST

XSnake
01-03-2014, 09:47 AM
Give it a little time guys.

Bill Pemberton
01-03-2014, 03:19 PM
There could be a strong compromise with those that want to track their cars and those that do not. When VOI was done in Salt Lake City quite a few of us pushed for a real track day/days ( similar to
past years with Viper Days ) , and we met a wall of resistance. I pushed for a day right after the event and found out later Jon Brobst was working towards a similar idea. No one wanted to
work with anyone as they thought it would detract from the event -- which made no sense to those of us wanting a chance to wheel around Miller Motorsports Park as many previous VOIs had a
Viper Days event tied to the Invitational. Thankfully Cindi Lux realized there was a real need and she persuaded the track to open things up to those that wanted to pay for a Thursday afternoon of
real track time. I know the approximately 40-50 of us that got to run the track at speed were extremely grateful to Cindi as all the manueverings of myself or Jon B. proved fruitless.

Take those ideas to a new Viper Festival and a second portion of the entry fee could be for those who really want to do some serious track time. It could easily be broken down into Advanced and
Beginner groups ,with many of the folks in the Advanced Group likely offering to instruct -- save even more than having to hire an outside group and there are plenty of Viper Owners out there who
are currently doing this ( instructing) with various racing/track groups.

Those that did want to do parade laps in their Viper would miss out, but the individuals that wanted to test their skill would actually have a greater chance to enjoy the car. The only parameter
I would suggest would be track selection -- need to be fairly safe . Good examples would be a track like Miller Motorsports , Texas Motorsport Ranch, Hi Plains Raceway, Thunderhill, and others will
reasonable run-off.

Just a suggestion ,but really should meet the desires of both groups and the ability to actually track your Viper may actually find more folks taking their cars to the festivities?

Late Apex
01-03-2014, 04:11 PM
I wonder how it will all work out with a VOI event and the VCA saying they are having one too? Will be interesting to see who has the biggest turn out. Im all for the VOI event......

TowDawg
01-03-2014, 06:14 PM
There could be a strong compromise with those that want to track their cars and those that do not. When VOI was done in Salt Lake City quite a few of us pushed for a real track day/days ( similar to
past years with Viper Days ) , and we met a wall of resistance. I pushed for a day right after the event and found out later Jon Brobst was working towards a similar idea. No one wanted to
work with anyone as they thought it would detract from the event -- which made no sense to those of us wanting a chance to wheel around Miller Motorsports Park as many previous VOIs had a
Viper Days event tied to the Invitational. Thankfully Cindi Lux realized there was a real need and she persuaded the track to open things up to those that wanted to pay for a Thursday afternoon of
real track time. I know the approximately 40-50 of us that got to run the track at speed were extremely grateful to Cindi as all the manueverings of myself or Jon B. proved fruitless.

Take those ideas to a new Viper Festival and a second portion of the entry fee could be for those who really want to do some serious track time. It could easily be broken down into Advanced and
Beginner groups ,with many of the folks in the Advanced Group likely offering to instruct -- save even more than having to hire an outside group and there are plenty of Viper Owners out there who

Those that did want to do parade laps in their Viper would miss out, but the individuals that wanted to test their skill would actually have a greater chance to enjoy the car. The only parameter
I would suggest would be track selection -- need to be fairly safe . Good examples would be a track like Miller Motorsports , Texas Motorsport Ranch, Hi Plains Raceway, Thunderhill, and others will
reasonable run-off.

Just a suggestion ,but really should meet the desires of both groups and the ability to actually track your Viper may actually find more folks taking their cars to the festivities?

Couldn't agree more!
I didn't make the last VOI because I was at the race track. From what I've heard from people who did go, the track portion wasn't very good. Just to clarify, people who actually tracking their cars on a regular basis said this. Those that don't, thought the track time was great.
I personally have no desire to go out on the track if I've got to drive like it's my first time on a track. Multiple groups (probably 3) are needed. One for people with competition licenses (or at least past competition experience, or a LOT of track experience), one for people who are pretty comfortable on the track and have a least a few days under their belts, and one for beginners. I don't have a problem with requiring a point in the top group (most of us will be in street cars and no sense dive-bombing a corner and causing an issue), but that should be about the only rule.

Bill Pemberton
01-04-2014, 08:01 AM
Towdawg,

And I would bet that those that want to drive at speed would be willing to pay a little extra for the privilege, just like in the past with Viper Days where those that wanted to test the limits of
the Snake were able to do for a couple of days. Realizing some might not want to do this , this system accomodates those that do not want to track their cars by not subjecting them to the
extra cost. Might even be a situation where the track portion is the last day and one beyond so it does not even cross over with the other activities?

XSnake
01-04-2014, 08:06 AM
Towdawg,

And I would bet that those that want to drive at speed would be willing to pay a little extra for the privilege, just like in the past with Viper Days where those that wanted to test the limits of
the Snake were able to do for a couple of days. Realizing some might not want to do this , this system accomodates those that do not want to track their cars by not subjecting them to the
extra cost. Might even be a situation where the track portion is the last day and one beyond so it does not even cross over with the other activities?

Bill, I can help out with that aspect of a large event as I already rent out tracks and hosts events myself.

TBSVIPER
01-04-2014, 08:38 AM
A lot of good ideas, thoughts here. Feedback I have heard is the cost for this is why some decide not to go. In the future it could be good to survey members and then attendees to get feedback on what they want, what worked well and what could be improved. It would also be of interest to know what percentage go viper less because of time or distance to the venue.

HyperViper
01-04-2014, 09:27 AM
Without the track time it might make out to be less interesting event. I have only been to 2 VOIs and am not a track rat but did drive at Miller Motorsports (really cool track) and Charlotte Motor Speedway. I found both to be exhilarating and really the best part of either event other than the drive to or from. I traveled from San Diego to Charlotte with my car for the last one (14 day trip) and had the time of my life, so will likely go again.

It will be interesting to see what VOA comes up with.

venomous08
01-04-2014, 09:57 AM

reasonable run-off.

Bill my first VOI as an owner was in Salt Lake City. Prior year to that I had been running several NARRA events, and events at our home track Hallett. Dad and I's original plan was to ship both cars to Salt Lake just for the opportunity to run the NARRA event while at VOI. How many opportunities does one get to run at one of the top premier tracks in the US at speed, especially one that is as far away from us as that one? Frankly I was drooling at that opportunity, then to find out that NARRA dropped the Viper Days portion out and just run the competition series from Miller. Needless to say I was pissed, I knew about the fight that you and Jon B were going through to re-open those discussions. I was very disappointed at how the leadership with the current regime at VCA handled the issue. Dad and I chose to leave my car at home and just take the 03 for that reason.

Plus when Marv Spatz DQ'd my autocross run I wasn't to happy.

Couldn't agree more!
I didn't make the last VOI because I was at the race track. From what I've heard from people who did go, the track portion wasn't very good. Just to clarify, people who actually tracking their cars on a regular basis said this. Those that don't, thought the track time was great.
I personally have no desire to go out on the track if I've got to drive like it's my first time on a track. Multiple groups (probably 3) are needed. One for people with competition licenses (or at least past competition experience, or a LOT of track experience), one for people who are pretty comfortable on the track and have a least a few days under their belts, and one for beginners. I don't have a problem with requiring a point in the top group (most of us will be in street cars and no sense dive-bombing a corner and causing an issue), but that should be about the only rule.

We didn't take a car due to this. I would have been seriously disappointed to drag a car out there for the "track day"... Would have been a serious waste of money.

One good thing that came from the Charlotte VOI was Mark Jorgensen and I took the WORLD RECORD for 2 man pit stop at the simulator in the NASCAR Hall of fame. :dude3:

rw99
01-04-2014, 09:20 PM
Having at least one true HPDE-type track day is a VOI requirement for me... I just can't justify the cost of shipping my car to a VOI without including track time at a true road course venue. I didn't attend the last VOI because the organizers ignored the opportunity to set up sessions at VIR. And that was truly disappointing... driving tracks like VIR, Sebring, Road America, and COTA are "bucket list" items for some of us.

It seems reasonable to make track days optional "add-ons" that occur immediately prior to or after 2-3 days of the core VOI event. For these dedicated track days, I agree with organizing at least three driver levels.

slitherv10
01-04-2014, 09:42 PM
Maybe giving special "group" rates to regions who can put together a large group to the event. For example..15 minimum members from a region would qualify for a special rate.

venomous08
01-04-2014, 10:02 PM
Having at least one true HPDE-type track day is a VOI requirement for me... I just can't justify the cost of shipping my car to a VOI without including track time at a true road course venue. I didn't attend the last VOI because the organizers ignored the opportunity to set up sessions at VIR. And that was truly disappointing... driving tracks like VIR, Sebring, Road America, and COTA are "bucket list" items for some of us.

It seems reasonable to make track days optional "add-ons" that occur immediately prior to or after 2-3 days of the core VOI event. For these dedicated track days, I agree with organizing at least three driver levels.

COTA is definitely on my list as well. I am sorta hoping Austin would be in consideration for that reason lol.

XSnake
01-05-2014, 07:51 AM
COTA is definitely on my list as well. I am sorta hoping Austin would be in consideration for that reason lol.

COTA is EXTREMELY expensive to rent as they have raised the prices again this year to $50/k day. They have made it cost prohibitive for almost everyone. I only know of a couple of groups holding track days there this year as they've raised the price $15k/DAY over last year. Most are telling the track no thanks.

Viper Girl
01-05-2014, 08:19 AM
COTA is EXTREMELY expensive to rent as they have raised the prices again this year to $50/k day. They have made it cost prohibitive for almost everyone. I only know of a couple of groups holding track days there this year as they've raised the price $15k/DAY over last year. Most are telling the track no thanks.
Reading this thread I wondered how tiered pricing could work if we had a split group... Track HPDE, some track novice group, and no track social group..

Some of these track rates have to be expensive...

J TNT
01-05-2014, 09:16 AM
Maybe doing a pre event survey as to options ie , track time for both spouses or one , or just social event, for both spouses, or an option for a tier system . Would help to achieve high attendance and keep costs inline . imho

Fatboy 18
01-05-2014, 09:31 AM
From an international point of view, there is no way we can get our cars there to partake in the fun :(

So having never been to one of these events, apart from looking at all you guys cars, I'm not sure it would be as much fun?

The evening stuff would be fine :)

SmoknTires
01-05-2014, 09:35 AM
We do indeed plan on having a VOI type of event, they might be named differently simply because we do want to break stigma from the past. They will also be a little different as there are things that need some freshening based on what you always hear.

This is all really helpful. The age old question with planning a VOI type of event is what duration is appropriate, what events must be the foundation of the event, what costs seem acceptable to the majority, how important is the goodie bag, etc... etc.. It's also possible to consider to forgo one of the dinner nights (people often complain that they don't have much personal time, or time to do what they want). A single dinner night is very expensive, that is huge money that could be applied to other things.

Often part of the fun of being in a new area is exploring and not just doing Viper stuff, but doing regional stuff with your Viper. You're bringing your Viper all the way out there, might as well use it. This is why perhaps adding a day to a VOI might be a good thing and offer people a free day to just have fun, and perhaps plan several things around tat city to suggest to folks - and everyone can just use it as a day to do what they want. For this reason, my region always planned a pretrip, so that we actually had some fun exploring the area with our cars and going to things that aren't just canned Viper events. And frankly, it was usually the high point of the trip!

I've long pushed for a VOI Committee, we will surely have one as the VOA plans the event. And a survey is a great idea. We've been talking about a general survey we'll be making for our members, but one specific to VOI would also be very helpful. Planning a VOI without member input (and members not even knowing where they're going, but are hearing "we're working on it...) is strange. Needs to be a concerted effort leveraging all who have abilities and connections. And I can say with all the people who volunteered time as part of the new club (financial help, legal help, marketing help, etc.. etc...), there are a lot of people who could be pivotal in a VOI if they knew what was being planned. We'll certainly do so.

We're planning something special in Detroit this year, as part of our "rebirth" with SRT. It's won't be a VOI, it'll be something more casual. However when a VOI type event begins planning, we'll be asking for volunteers to help, we'll have a committee, and we'll reveal what venues we're exploring. Can't wait.

Viper67wife
01-05-2014, 09:51 AM
Sign me up for the planning committee.

Diane

XSnake
01-05-2014, 10:09 AM
Reading this thread I wondered how tiered pricing could work if we had a split group... Track HPDE, some track novice group, and no track social group..

Some of these track rates have to be expensive...
I think a package including an HPDE and one not including one would work.

venomous08
01-05-2014, 02:51 PM

I know but you are crushing my dreams here....

XSnake
01-05-2014, 05:01 PM
I know but you are crushing my dreams here....

Hopefully they come back to reality in a year or 2.

rw99
01-05-2014, 09:22 PM
Understanding the costs of each potential activity is really helpful, and it will allow us to weigh expenses when answering the VOI survey.

And while it's complicated to do a la carte events and pricing, this seems to be the best way to achieve fair costs for each participant.

Full track rental may not be necessary; sharing track days with other groups may be possible. Kinda depends on how many drivers we'd have...

Newport Viper
01-05-2014, 09:43 PM
I like the a la carte track thought.

Viper vince
01-16-2014, 05:54 AM
They need to set a date really soon. I would like to attend and I need to schedule my vacation at work .

J TNT
01-18-2014, 09:53 AM
Are there any tentative dates , I would hate to miss this event ,due to work related scheduling issues . :fpopcorn:

SmoknTires
01-18-2014, 09:57 AM
We're working with SRT to nail that down - we're targeting July.

J TNT
01-18-2014, 10:10 AM
Thanks ! :)

99RT10
01-18-2014, 10:43 AM
We're working with SRT to nail that down - we're targeting July.

If that is the case, it will have to be in the North. Anything south of the Mason-Dixon line will be brutally hot. There is the Mopar Nats Aug 8-10 in Columbus. Maybe tie it in with that event?

J TNT
01-18-2014, 11:17 AM
Woodward Dream Cruise is also a Great option In Detroit :)

LittleCobra
01-21-2014, 09:15 AM
How about doing a Viper version of this and have Guinness make it official?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38hlxUuzx2o

green mamba
02-28-2014, 12:10 PM
Viperpalooza!!!

Thawk97
03-18-2014, 10:00 PM
Just learned that the assembly line will be shut down while we're there - major bummer. Wish there was something that could be done - that was going to be a major highlight.

95Viper
03-18-2014, 10:29 PM
yea I agree,,, is main reason I was thinking about going,,, now,,, well I don't see the point. Heck we could all meet at a Bobs Big Boy at least they would be open,,,, the whole idea of back to the roots idea works if the plant is open but with it closed??? makes no sense to me,,, a lot of money spent on gas, motel, food & time off from work just to hang out in a parking lot. so any other ideas for some type of major event this summer? Lots of places that would love to have our business and actually be open...

ICPREY
03-18-2014, 10:39 PM
Seems like the plans for the Detroit event are not solidified 100% right now, so maybe they could shift the dates to ensure the plant is open. I'll be there if we get to tour the plant. May not go if its just a big get together.