PDA

View Full Version : What does it take to buy a $100k or so Viper

F2V
11-19-2013, 05:33 PM
Saw this thread that got a lot of one day action, as it applies to a $70k Corvette on their forum. Food for thought? :-)

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-general-discussion/3376597-at-what-net-worth-or-what-income-level-to-consider-a-70k-vette.html

VYPR BYT
11-19-2013, 05:52 PM
I don't buy into that crap about having a formula to plug in some numbers to see if you should or shouldn't buy a toy. It all boils down to disposable income and priorities... not necessarily in that order. jmho

ViperGeorge
11-19-2013, 06:02 PM
To buy a $100K Viper you need $100K. Duh.

Space Truckin
11-19-2013, 06:09 PM
:t1236: What he said^^^^^^^ lol

KRATEDISEASE
11-19-2013, 06:20 PM

I am laughing so hard I am gagging !! keep up the comedy !!

Timnineside
11-19-2013, 07:58 PM
I am laughing so hard I am gagging !! keep up the comedy !!

What is up with Kratedisease being so positive here???? I'm in shock!

Anyways those formulas are for stupid people. Buying "the right" Viper is like money in the bank. There is no excuse for not getting what you want in life if it makes some sort of sense.

viperdan
11-19-2013, 08:01 PM
The reason for the Vette guys is they drank way too much Kool Aid! A guy or gal that buys a Viper does it for the love of what it is IMO.

slitherv10
11-19-2013, 08:20 PM
If you have to go in debt to buy a car, that is your first mistake. If you can't pay for it, don't buy it. If you have disposable income to cover the payments, gas, maintenance, insurance and car care, then it may be something you could consider. Asking for our advice is your second mistake.

JerseyGTS
11-19-2013, 08:23 PM
Anytime you see a thread like that you'll get the inevitable, "bought my first viper when I was 15, paid cash, didn't even have a license yet. Bought my first house at 16 and paid that off when I was 20"

KRATEDISEASE
11-19-2013, 09:30 PM
If you have to go in debt to buy a car, that is your first mistake. If you can't pay for it, don't buy it. If you have disposable income to cover the payments, gas, maintenance, insurance and car care, then it may be something you could consider. Asking for our advice is your second mistake.

That actually sounds more like advice about getting married......

Troublemaker
11-19-2013, 09:40 PM
I comes down to doing what you want. I really wanted a Gen4 ACR, but I wasn't going to go in debt for a toy. The 96 B&W was something I could actually pay for. I don't think their is a problem taking out a loan for something you want, considering how cheaply you can borrow money now with the low APRs.

Disturbed
11-20-2013, 06:18 AM
If I can't pay cash for it, I don't buy it. My only exception is a house. But even then I made damn sure I have 20% down.

House will be paid off in 6-7 years and currently I have not had a car payment from 2001.

Fatboy 18
11-20-2013, 07:24 AM
The first thing you need is the income and cash for the deposit, You will also need to be able to keep up the payments or buy outright in Cash in the first place.

The second thing you need is one of the special "100" VOA membership Cards :D

Nine Ball
11-20-2013, 08:35 AM
It takes trading in two $50K Corvettes.

Bill Pemberton
11-20-2013, 09:13 AM
One thing we have noticed is a huge increase in folks that are financing their Gen V's , but coincidentally many are doing it due to low interest rates. As most buyers tend to be business owners or professionals the comments from almost all of them is why not purchase with super cheap dollars when they can use their money better in other financial vehicles/endeavors/etc.

As noted just a few days ago, a Business owner discussed financing since he has earned 30% in his stocks/mutual funds this year, so he did not feel the need to pay off the Viper when he felt he could work his money in a better fashion.

These discussions are always interesting, as there are so many points of view, but have to agree when money is cheap , it sure makes sense to keep funds working for you if you have moderate risk based personality.

slitherv10
11-20-2013, 09:18 AM
What does it take to buy a $100k or so Viper ??

A new or no wife, depending on your personal circumstance.

No hemi
11-20-2013, 10:02 AM
09 Viper acr you beat me to it , but i'll say it again, lo, yes it takes about 100k , or so, lol:lol2:,

on another topic, i saw this smiley :t89186:, and it's funny that i did not see a Viper smiley...

Viper Specialty
11-20-2013, 10:09 AM
So long as you can meet all of your other obligations and still put a bit away for a continuing buffer zone, go for it. Life is not about the safe road as much as it is about calculated risks. You aren't on your deathbed saying "gee whiz, its a good thing that I had a boring life, no fun, no toys, and no friends... because now I have a bunch of zeros in a bank account and can pay cash for any car I wa........ beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep"

Brad00GTS
11-20-2013, 10:20 AM
One thing we have noticed is a huge increase in folks that are financing their Gen V's , but coincidentally many are doing it due to low interest rates. As most buyers tend to be business owners or professionals the comments from almost all of them is why not purchase with super cheap dollars when they can use their money better in other financial vehicles/endeavors/etc.

As noted just a few days ago, a Business owner discussed financing since he has earned 30% in his stocks/mutual funds this year, so he did not feel the need to pay off the Viper when he felt he could work his money in a better fashion.

These discussions are always interesting, as there are so many points of view, but have to agree when money is cheap , it sure makes sense to keep funds working for you if you have moderate risk based personality.

But why can't they offer a competitive lease? All high end cars have great leases, that's how they sell so many. If Chrysler had a great lease plan, I believe a lot more of them would be off the lots.

rw99
11-20-2013, 10:38 AM
The first thing you need is the income and cash for the deposit, You will also need to be able to keep up the payments or buy outright in Cash in the first place.

The second thing you need is one of the special "100" VOA membership Cards :D

Sshhhhhh; there's also a secret ritual that involves RBF600 and a match...

Whitemamba
11-24-2013, 09:41 AM

Pretty damn funny post. Man I wish I could think that quick sometimes when it comes to jokes.

Troublemaker
11-24-2013, 09:57 AM
But why can't they offer a competitive lease? All high end cars have great leases, that's how they sell so many. If Chrysler had a great lease plan, I believe a lot more of them would be off the lots.

This is a big ball of truth right here.

Nine Ball
11-25-2013, 01:58 PM
In all seriousness, most of the exotic car guys I know lease their fancy cars. Most of those Underground Lambos are leased through this company, they just pay for the modifications and lease the car. Then when they sell the car they usually get better resale for the car, being an Underground car.

http://www.putnamleasing.com/

This also applies to several guys I know that could pay cash for all their toys. As stated earlier, they'd rather use their liquid assets for investments, and lease the toys.

Brad00GTS
11-25-2013, 02:33 PM
In all seriousness, most of the exotic car guys I know lease their fancy cars. Most of those Underground Lambos are leased through this company, they just pay for the modifications and lease the car. Then when they sell the car they usually get better resale for the car, being an Underground car.

http://www.putnamleasing.com/

This also applies to several guys I know that could pay cash for all their toys. As stated earlier, they'd rather use their liquid assets for investments, and lease the toys.

As I stated earlier, leasing is very important. Putnam Leasing and Premier Financial are available, but it is much more expensive to use these Companies. Chrysler needs to step up and subsidize the lease with realistic lease factors and residuals.

KRATEDISEASE
11-25-2013, 10:04 PM
Leasing actually makes sense since you are only paying for what you use.

But when you grow up dirt poor with nothing but the clothing on your back, its important to psychologically "own" your toys outright.

SLViper
11-25-2013, 10:43 PM
[QUOTE=F2V;8232]Saw this thread that got a lot of one day action, as it applies to a $70k Corvette on their forum. Food for thought? :-)

Some interesting views here: http://disinfo.com/2011/04/if-it-flies-floats-or-fornicates-always-rent-it/

Nine Ball
11-26-2013, 02:31 AM
Leasing actually makes sense since you are only paying for what you use.

But when you grow up dirt poor with nothing but the clothing on your back, its important to psychologically "own" your toys outright.

Hard stigma to overcome. I paid cash for my first Viper, but took out a nice 1.9% loan on the new one, with about 30% cash down.

plumcrazy
11-26-2013, 06:16 AM
im a pay cash for toys kinda guy.