PDA

View Full Version : Broken Keyless Remote - Replacement??

brickauto
01-05-2015, 08:50 PM
So I was fiddling with the ONLY keyfob I have for my Gen IV, trying to replace the batteries as the range was getting shorter.
(I know, should have gotten a spare but I only bought the car this year and was having too much fun with it)

While performing the battery replacement I accidentally struck the circuit board side, and a little chip (capacitor?) fell off, and my feeble attempt to solder it back did not work :furious:

So........

I read that for a Gen IV to program a replacement remote, a functional remote is required to activate programming mode :(
Or go to a dealer for them to program with their "computer"

My question then is, can a remote be purchased online with the VIN no. such that it comes pre-programmed?? Or succumb to the Viper Tax at the dealer come Springtime :z:

Steve M
01-05-2015, 08:53 PM
Got a picture of the capacitor/resistor/whatever and the board? I'd be happy to make an attempt at fixing it by resoldering...

Steve M
01-05-2015, 09:02 PM
On second thought, I just went out and looked at one of mine...those are pretty damn small surface mount components, and I'm not sure I'd be able to do much better than your attempt.

brickauto
01-05-2015, 09:11 PM
Steve, thanks for the offer but I'm afraid I may have overheated the tiny chip while attempting to solder :P

Steve M
01-05-2015, 09:19 PM
If you can figure out what it is and what size it is, you can probably order it from Digikey or Mouser...just a thought.

FWIW, it looks like a pretty good soldering attempt.

FrgMstr
01-05-2015, 09:34 PM
You can pull the PCB out of the fob and try to "reflow" the component that popped off. Glue the damaged part down in the middle so both ends are in the correct position. Put the PCB on a cookie sheet, with it held up on the edges off the surface of the cookie sheet but balls of foil not touching any traces on the PCB. Preheat to 385F, cook for 10 minutes. And while you are doing all this, remember it is already hosed. :)