PDA

View Full Version : Making it through a DUI Checkpoint (are you kidding me)

01-05-2015, 02:35 PM
Funny-- I wouldn't try it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqEXTVe7MCQ

BlknBlu
01-05-2015, 02:39 PM
that just looks like an excuse to take it even farther by the cops, i would not try that either.

Bruce

LeadfootRT10
01-05-2015, 02:50 PM
Good thing he's white, he'd be dead otherwise.

C.J
01-05-2015, 03:31 PM
Good thing he's white, he'd be dead otherwise.

You're out of Order.

Ohiotj
01-05-2015, 04:01 PM
Have people really had that much trouble with the police that they do this? I know there is a lot of press right now but dang. I wish a cop would follow me everywhere so no idiots would stay around me. Guy behind me at breakfast today yelled at his women friend "how am I supposed to know what to do after I got out of jail."

01-05-2015, 04:22 PM
We know what to do...

PatrickB
01-05-2015, 04:27 PM
These guys (and those like them on YouTube) are disrespectful assholes. Typically using what is usually legal means as cover, they are simply trying to bait the police in to some kind of heated discussion/argument/"issue" to make headlines. This video is actually tame compared to some of the stuff I've seen on YouTube, but nonetheless I have no respect for these guys out there doing this.

If law enforcement is out there risking their lives for my protection, then I'm going to show them some respect and cooperate, not be an asshole and try baiting the officers into something it doesn't need to be. Have I had interactions with police who I felt were maybe overstepping their bounds a little bit? At the time, I would have said yes....when I look back on it, I can see how my attitude and actions may have caused the issue in the first place so I don't get bent out of shape everytime I hit a DUI checkpoint or get pulled over seemingly randomly.

Vprbite
01-06-2015, 05:13 AM
The courts have roundly held up the constitutionality of DUI checkpoints. You agreed to them when you got your driver's license, Like anything here in this country, you are allowed to voice your discontent or to fight the very existence of them, but it will be an uphill battle.

I will admit, it seems like a legaly gray area. Seeking DUI's probably saves a lot of lives, but what about the large number of other citations that get handed out because of these? Expired tags, etc etc. It seems like at that point it becomes basically a dragnet and what's the difference between that and going door to door to look for citations without PC? They are out on public roads? Well yes. But if I am at circle K buying a thirstbuster can the police ask to see my passport and ID? Can IRS agents start asking people at random for their tax info? It is a slippery slope. I respect police officers and don't give them any more grief than they give me (which tends to be very little, if any) and understand they have a tough job to do and most of their encounters are not with people like me, but there is something to be said for excercising your rights. But you can do it without being an ass.

plumcrazy
01-06-2015, 05:24 AM
a lot of kidnappers, murderers etc get caught in them too...

Fatboy 18
01-06-2015, 06:32 AM
Police would not look kindly on you if you tried that in my country. The guy clearly knew his rights though! amazing.

Overhere we have vans set up with police motorcycles placed further down the road. its all done on numberplate recognition, they can find out if a car is not taxed or if the car does not have insurance or an mot, but they also use this system to catch and keep an eye on known criminals who are operating away from their known areas where burglaries have been taking place ;)

Space Truckin
01-06-2015, 06:35 AM
good thing he's white, he'd be dead otherwise.

way stupid :furious:

99RT10
01-06-2015, 06:37 AM
These guys (and those like them on YouTube) are disrespectful assholes. Typically using what is usually legal means as cover, they are simply trying to bait the police in to some kind of heated discussion/argument/"issue" to make headlines. This video is actually tame compared to some of the stuff I've seen on YouTube, but nonetheless I have no respect for these guys out there doing this.

If law enforcement is out there risking their lives for my protection, then I'm going to show them some respect and cooperate, not be an asshole and try baiting the officers into something it doesn't need to be. Have I had interactions with police who I felt were maybe overstepping their bounds a little bit? At the time, I would have said yes....when I look back on it, I can see how my attitude and actions may have caused the issue in the first place so I don't get bent out of shape everytime I hit a DUI checkpoint or get pulled over seemingly randomly.

Those guys are doing a great thing, standing up for their rights and EXERCISING those rights. WITHOUT them doing that, we will lose those rights. I applaud and thank them for standing up for the rest of us.

TowDawg
01-06-2015, 09:10 PM
I agree some of the videos are done in a manner where the guy filming technically isn't doing anything wrong, but is being an asshole to try to get a reaction.
However...
1. The guy in this video is never disrespectful to the cops.
2. Even the ones that are disrespectful, it is a cops' job to know that being a dick isn't a crime and that he is required as a civil servant to keep his cool.

I understand it's a high stress job without much thanks, but that's what they signed up for. Unfortunately, a lot (not all) of cops now are uneducated and it's one of the few jobs that they can get, but they are nowhere near qualified to handle everything that comes with it. As this percentage of unqualified officers increase, it will only get worse.
Couple that issue with the fact that the government continually chips away at our rights in the name of safety, and you NEED people that will stand up for their (and your) rights before they are all gone.

LeadfootRT10
01-07-2015, 10:10 AM
http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/story/27777855/sheriff-use-dui-video-tactics-risk-being-arrested-for-obstruction

Sybil TF
01-07-2015, 12:24 PM
Good thing he's white, he'd be dead otherwise.:smilielol:No way this would work where I live....white or black.

C.J
01-07-2015, 12:41 PM
:smilielol:No way this would work where I live....white or black.

Gotta be Texas. :)

Sybil TF
01-07-2015, 09:05 PM
Gotta be Texas. :)
I wish.