PDA

View Full Version : Gen V vs F458 Italia

MtnBiker
11-19-2013, 11:35 AM
How should the Gen V compare to the Ferrari F458?

I have a strong Gen IV coupe and ran with a black 458 coming back from the F1 race in Mexico on Sunday. What a beautiful car! I felt sort of like the Camaro owner dueling the Viper. Anyway, we got on it pretty hard numerous times and he seemd to have a slightly quicker response, but once the Viper got wound up it would reel him back in (albeit slowly). Seemed like it took a little longer for the 10 cylinders to wind up than his 8 (of course he can go to 10K RPMs too).

At high speeds the Viper was a little rough (some shaking), while I feel like the 458 probably felt like it was going 80. I think the F car driver was surprised I stayed with him. Got a big thumbs up.

Canadian venom
11-19-2013, 11:39 AM
The 458 is an incredible machine, at high speed you can drive the car with one finger and the F1 transmission could make the baddest driver looks like Michael Schumacher....:car-smiley-003:

FLATOUT
11-19-2013, 11:41 AM
I'm actually really surpised it hung with your car considering your mods and power level. What speed were you guys leaving at, racing too, and what gear did you start in?

This probably played the biggest role in you having to real him in, the Viper should leave much harder from a roll than the 458.

Disturbed
11-19-2013, 11:58 AM
In my Gen2 GTS with heads/cam I never had a issue chewing up and spitting out the 458. Didn't matter if it was from 20-60mph roll. Granted, I'm making 585rwhp/610rwtq.

You had to have been in the wrong gear.

MtnBiker
11-19-2013, 12:01 PM
I'm actually really surpised it hung with your car considering your mods and power level. What speed were you guys leaving at, racing too, and what gear did you start in?

This probably played the biggest role in you having to real him in, the Viper should leave much harder from a roll than the 458.

Leaving at around XX in 4th. Topped out at YYY. I also never really romped/floored it but sort of rolled into the throttle. Guess I am just slightly chicken to floor the beast (from being at the track and rolling into throttle).

Shooter
11-19-2013, 12:04 PM
Leaving at around 90 in 4th. Topped out at 150. I also never really romped/floored it but sort of rolled into the throttle. Guess I am just slightly chicken to floor the beast (from being at the track and rolling into throttle).

Were you in 4th or 5th gear?.

ViperGTS
11-19-2013, 12:14 PM
I do runs together with a friend of mine in a F458...he admitted: no chance, neither in the straight on the autobahn nor on twisty roads...my Gen4 is stock except for HF cats and the mopar pcm...1059

FLATOUT
11-19-2013, 01:33 PM
Leaving at around 90 in 4th. Topped out at 150. I also never really romped/floored it but sort of rolled into the throttle. Guess I am just slightly chicken to floor the beast (from being at the track and rolling into throttle).

That was the problem then. You should have started in 3rd, which is why you came around him eventually. Had you started in 3rd it would have been, "see ya" from the leave.

Good runs none the less.

MtnBiker
11-19-2013, 03:10 PM
I agree, the problem was with the driver/me. From these comments I should have smoked him. My car has to be close to 600 hp, if not slightly more, at the wheels. I was in 4th gear and never really mashed the pedal when he took off. Furthermore, as Flatout sugested I should have dropped a gear to 3rd and said see ya later :).

FLATOUT
11-19-2013, 03:40 PM
I agree, the problem was with the driver/me. From these comments I should have smoked him. My car has to be close to 600 hp, if not slightly more, at the wheels. I was in 4th gear and never really mashed the pedal when he took off. Furthermore, as Flatout sugested I should have dropped a gear to 3rd and said see ya later :).

Well I know your car makes a lot of power so that's why I wasn't sure if the 458's were that fast or if you were taking it easy on him ;) Glad to know you were just taking it easy on him :D

Nine Ball
11-21-2013, 02:12 AM
Two local friends have already raced their 458 vs Gen V. The Gen V walked the 458 pretty bad on the highway from a 60 roll. I asked them to get video next time around.

ViperSmith
11-21-2013, 10:28 AM
VENOM V ran over a 458 handily on the track a few weeks ago

MtnBiker
11-21-2013, 02:00 PM
Oh man. I wonder if the guy is over on the Ferrari forum telling everyone he walked a Viper :( Next time I won't be so cautious, just get it on and get on it!

Nine Ball
11-21-2013, 03:57 PM
MtnBiker, never slack on the competitor. You'll want to use whatever gear that gets you around 4000 rpm to start with.

FLATOUT
11-21-2013, 03:59 PM
Oh man. I wonder if the guy is over on the Ferrari forum telling everyone he walked a Viper :( Next time I won't be so cautious, just get it on and get on it!

Remember his plate? Might be easy money;)

Wheelman
11-21-2013, 04:38 PM
You were definitely a gear too high, haha.

My favorite race in my 06 was against a newer GTR. We went from about 80-85 thru 3rd gear, some pulls went into 4th for a little. It hit so hard the wheels spun a few times and kept spinning well past 100mph. Good ol' runflats.

Late Apex
11-24-2013, 05:57 PM
The Gen V is an expensive very fast car but the 458 is a very expensive, very fast car, and a work of art. "The Camaro owner dueling a Viper" was well stated.

Late Apex
11-24-2013, 06:00 PM
Oh man. I wonder if the guy is over on the Ferrari forum telling everyone he walked a Viper :( Next time I won't be so cautious, just get it on and get on it! I would think they talk more about reference to walking Lambos, McLarens, and other exotics in their price range.

plumcrazy
11-24-2013, 06:11 PM
MtnBiker, never slack on the competitor. You'll want to use whatever gear that gets you around 4000 rpm to start with.

great post and firsthand knowledge i assume.

FLATOUT
11-24-2013, 06:53 PM
The Gen V is an expensive very fast car but the 458 is a very expensive, very fast car, and a work of art. "The Camaro owner dueling a Viper" was well stated.

458 = Very Expensive Fast Car

GEN IV/V Viper = Expensive Very Fast Car

triplexotica
11-26-2013, 10:46 PM
Having an F car and a Lambo you rarely see any of that stuff on FChat unless Vapor Boy Alan Lambo is around.

Pretty much everyone on the Fchat board is cool.

When the VCA board got out of control I left and went to Fchat to avoid the drama that eventually destroyed VCA.

Shooter
11-27-2013, 01:30 AM
Having an F car and a Lambo you rarely see any of that stuff on FChat unless Vapor Boy Alan Lambo is around.

Pretty much everyone on the Fchat board is cool.

When the VCA board got out of control I left and went to Fchat to avoid the drama that eventually destroyed VCA.

Same one as the famed "alans lambo kills all thread"? :)

MtnBiker
11-27-2013, 12:38 PM

Yes Tony I shall do that from now on. I need to watch a few more of your vids :) You take no prisoners!