PDA

View Full Version : YEP!! Just booked our cabin for the 10th anniversary of the Dragon!

HLANDIS
12-23-2014, 09:19 PM
As usual, I cant wait so yes I did it! I booked our cabin in Gatlinburg already for the 10th anniversay of the "Tail of the Dragon Run":) It must be the xmas mood, i could not wait!! :drive::smilielol:

uvbnbit
12-24-2014, 06:26 AM
whoa! is it getting that time already?
I'm thinking 10th anniversary of this event might be a big turn-out for a change....:lol2:
Will we top the 75 cars from last year?

PatrickB
12-24-2014, 06:57 AM
Looking forward to it - last year was our first year attending and we quickly determined it was a must-do event yearly. I think we'll top last year's 75.. :D

XSnake
12-24-2014, 07:58 AM
Looking at attending this event this year.

01sapphirebob
12-24-2014, 08:35 AM
I cant wait for the dragon next year. Is is May yet?

NSviper
12-24-2014, 09:09 AM
Is it planned for the last weekend of May next year ? Plan on going down again.

Bmw2nv2000
12-24-2014, 09:11 AM
I hope its the last weekend in May. Ive got our cabin booked too!!!:dancingman:

Loud
12-24-2014, 09:28 AM
Haha, Ronny. I'm sure I'll do the same trip, but will book a week before.

Stretch
12-24-2014, 10:17 AM
Haha! I was figuring that we would get to at least January before the people in the north started to bring up that trip. Apparently the winter can be long anticipating this event down south as well.

Thanks Ronny! Now I'm getting all excited again :-)

99RT10
12-24-2014, 10:22 AM
So the weekend is the 28th-31st? Not sure what will happen with this new job, but I haven't missed one yet!!!! :D

CarolinaViper
12-24-2014, 12:42 PM
Makes the winter months a little more bearable. Last year was our first time and the wife said we will be back every year. Kind of nice for us as its only a 2.5 hour drive and we have some great roads from here to travel on to get there. Merry Christmas to you all.

Jeebs
12-25-2014, 12:08 AM
I see the count down is on. I'll be there again for the third year in a row. Its a Great time with great people. I just hope i can make the trip down this year with some other Canadians.

uvbnbit
12-25-2014, 07:59 AM
Yep. Sounds like it's gonna be a great weekend planned. I believe "Q" is working on some extra incentives as well for this "Bucket List" event

DEADEYE
12-30-2014, 05:36 AM
My car is going to break 50k miles at the Dragon next year!

VYPR BYT
12-30-2014, 11:38 AM
Is it planned for the last weekend of May next year ? ...

I hope its the last weekend in May...:dancingman:

So the weekend is the 28th-31st? Not sure what will happen with this new job, but I haven't missed one yet!!!! :D

Just FYI for future ref...
It's always planned the weekend (thur-sun) immediately "after" Memorial Day each year.
So Mike is correct, the 28th-31st this year!

As you can see by my avatar, I hate the place. ;)

sparkrn
12-30-2014, 03:11 PM
Is there an official hotel designated for this event, or any suggestions for persons who have never been there?

Stretch
12-30-2014, 07:49 PM
It's been the Greystone Lodge the last few years. The hotel details will be released once the room blocks are setup. It will be several more months before that info is out. Keep watching the forums here!

We will also be doing another convoy of northern states meeting up in Cincinnati that Thursday to drive down together. You're welcome to join us!

01sapphirebob
12-30-2014, 08:00 PM
We will also be doing another convoy of northern states meeting up in Cincinnati that Thursday to drive down together. You're welcome to join us!

Make sure your tanks are gassed up BEFORE the big speech. ;)

Loud
12-31-2014, 07:55 AM
.... meeting up in Cincinnati that Thursday to drive down together. You're welcome to join us!

Psssh, you the better route is BRP :)

Schen
12-31-2014, 08:12 AM
I'll be making the trip this year as well! I need to get out of New Jersey for a bit, so I'm going to be making the flight to Ohio and caravanning down with Kevan and the Ohio VOA. Looking forward to discovering more of America and meeting new folks. :)

--RS

Stretch
12-31-2014, 09:00 AM
Make sure your tanks are gassed up BEFORE the big speech. ;)

I've got my eye on you Bob. Don't try to pull any funny stuff like last year.

Psssh, you the better route is BRP :)

Yeah I know...... one of these days I will take that route.

sparkrn
01-01-2015, 06:02 PM
What is BRP?

Stretch
01-01-2015, 07:43 PM
Blue Ridge Parkway

01sapphirebob
01-01-2015, 08:23 PM
I've got my eye on you Bob. Don't try to pull any funny stuff like last year.

Whatever do you mean?:icon_devil:

HLANDIS
01-04-2015, 09:01 AM
My car is going to break 50k miles at the Dragon next year!

Cant wait to see "black beauty" on the dragon this year!! Im sure it will be a little different view for you Tyrone than going through the dragon while looking through a camera lense!!:drive:

outnumbered
01-04-2015, 12:01 PM
Anything specific a first timer would need to know about this trip?

Joel
01-04-2015, 12:53 PM
OK, OK, I get the message and I don't know why I waited so long to post the information. After all, it is January and we need something to look forward to during the winter months. We will be holding our 10th Anniversary Tail of the Dragon event from Thursday May 28 until Sunday May 31 in beautiful scenic Gatlinburg Tennessee. Tip of the hat (or finger of blame) to Chip Winter for starting all this 10 years ago. We have asked our good friends in the Carolina's Club to help us co-host this event as some of the scenic driving will take place in the great state of North Carolina. We are expecting a good turnout - last year's 75 Vipers were not quite enough - because you can't have too many Vipers. We will be posting a registration website to give us an idea of how many to expect. The site will be up soon with more details. The Greystone Lodge will be the host hotel once again and they should have all rooms updated by the time we get there. Stay tuned for more information. It will be an epic event - to say the least.

outnumbered
01-04-2015, 01:06 PM
Do the cottages at the lodge have paved parking?

outnumbered
01-04-2015, 01:13 PM
Reservations made!

DaveW
01-04-2015, 05:07 PM
Do the cottages at the lodge have paved parking?

Sorry, Ron. There's only street parking except for red cars, which get to use the secured, climate-controlled garage at the Greystone...

outnumbered
01-04-2015, 05:49 PM
Sorry, Ron. There's only street parking except for red cars, which get to use the secured, climate-controlled garage at the Greystone...

Just my luck!

CarolinaViper
01-04-2015, 05:58 PM

Dave,

I thought it was only for silver convertibles...that's why I got one like Joel's.

Jeff

Leslie
01-04-2015, 06:21 PM
Yes, do tell, have always wanted to go on this trip!

Anything specific a first timer would need to know about this trip?

ViperTony
01-04-2015, 06:26 PM
Yes, do tell, have always wanted to go on this trip!

Same here. I'm going to try and make the 12 hour drive this year. ;)

01sapphirebob
01-04-2015, 06:29 PM
yes, do tell, have always wanted to go on this trip!

same here. I'm going to try and make the 12 hour drive this year. ;)

anything specific a first timer would need to know about this trip?

do not cross the double yellow line!

DaveW
01-04-2015, 06:31 PM
Dave,

I thought it was only for silver convertibles...that's why I got one like Joel's.

Jeff

Youse guys get a pass, 'cause you both are so involved with coordinating our activities that, well, you deserve it; however, you will have to park along the wall near the back corner where there's little lighting so you won't deflect from our fabulous red cars... ��

CarolinaViper
01-04-2015, 06:35 PM
I will have Donna bring a sleeping bad and sleep beside the car...just don't let her know. I told her we might go on a camping trip this summer.

Schen
01-04-2015, 06:38 PM
I'm going to get some stuff together, maybe me and Sam can make some goodies as give aways. :)

Also, a buddy of mine that worked at Riley during the GTS-R program might make the trip as well!

--RS

DaveW
01-04-2015, 06:39 PM
do not cross the double yellow line!

Bob IS SO RIGHT!!!

Joel
01-04-2015, 08:29 PM
Those with good taste - aka silver car owners - will get special treatment but we will tolerate those with more plebeian tastes in colors. Be there or beware!:smilielol:

Dave,

Jeff

DaveW
01-04-2015, 08:49 PM
Those with good taste - aka silver car owners - will get special treatment but we will tolerate those with more plebeian tastes in colors. Be there or beware!:smilielol:

Can't wait, Joel! Had the most amazing time last year, thanks to you and your crew. Let me know if I can do anything for you guys. Maybe I should add silver stripes?

Dave

Stretch
01-04-2015, 09:40 PM
Joel, thanks again for setting this fantastic event up!!!!

Here's some info for those thinking about attending for the first time.

Do it. 100% do it. Everyone I've managed to talk into going has either A) already gone a second time or B) planning to go a second time this year. I'd say at this point this list is approaching 20 people.

If you are a full day's drive, plan to drive to Gatlinburg on Thursday. If you're north of Tennessee (IL, IN, OH, KY, PA, MI, Ontario, etc) we will have a big convoy meeting in Cincinnati that Thursday to drive down together.
When Joel posts the hotel block information, call to get your room setup.

Things to bring:
- Hand radios if you have them, helps to relay information between cars. Get the FBI looking headsets so you can keep both hands on the wheel.
- Sunscreen
- Camera, batteries
- Printout of map / general directions. For the northern guys, I will email out the convoy info in advance so you can print it and bring with you.

General things to expect in the daily itinerary:
- Hundreds of miles of driving through beautiful roads in TN and NC.
- Some of the best roads and more well known are the Tail of the Dragon and the Cherahola Skyway.
- Dinner in the evening with all your new Viper friends.
- Parade through Gatlinburg where traffic literally stops at the site of all the snakes driving through.
- Sunday everyone leaves to make the journey home.

People drive from all over. Literally. All the states I listed above were represented in our convoy last year meeting in Cincinnati. The farthest guy drove from Nova Scotia. Dedication!

Rules for having fun and being safe on this trip........ Which will be repeated (again, and again...... and again) when you arrive.
- DO NOT cross the double yellow line.
- Do not.
- Do not.
- Safety first. Not kidding. We want you to have fun and take you and your Viper home safely.

There have been a couple cars that have gone slightly off the pavement in the past. Everyone is ok, but we do not want a repeat. Someone dies on that road every year. Last year only 1 week before we made our trip. So for real, SAFETY FIRST.

DO NOT cross the double yellow line. DO NOT.

Loud
01-05-2015, 12:23 PM
If you're north of Tennessee (IL, IN, OH, KY, PA, MI, Ontario, etc) we will have a big convoy meeting in Cincinnati that Thursday to drive down together.
People drive from all over. Literally. All the states I listed above were represented in our convoy last year meeting in Cincinnati.

Who else was there from IL? I thought I was the only guy the last 4 years.

Having done the same trip a few times already, and as much as I love it, I am wondering if I should drive somewhere west this year.

As Stretch mentioned, not crossing the double yellow has to be on everyone's mind at all times on the dragon and skyway. Also, if this will be your first time, do not drive at your full capability, dial it down a little to enjoy it more before going full blast [if you even want to do that at first outing].

The Blue Ridge Parkway is another awesome road from Virginia to Smokies. One of America's best by-ways. And beauty is the lack of traffic immediately following the long weekend. Each time I've attended this event, I drove down the BRP in its entirety with a couple others and I wouldn't do it any other way.

A

Stretch
01-05-2015, 02:02 PM
You know you're probably right. I was talking to a guy last year who was in IL and then had to bail a couple weeks before the event. Hopefully he can join us this year.

C.J
01-05-2015, 03:51 PM
The Blue Ridge Parkway is another awesome road from Virginia to Smokies. One of America's best by-ways. And beauty is the lack of traffic immediately following the long weekend. Each time I've attended this event, I drove down the BRP in its entirety with a couple others and I wouldn't do it any other way.

Very true. Great drive, great scenery, very unique experience. Make sure you can stop and grab lunch at the Pisgah Inn (right on the BRP). Great food.

The other tip I learned from my first ToD last year was that your passenger needs to have a strong stomach or take Dramamine. My daughter nearly lost her breakfast on the Dragon...luckily (and I mean luckily) there was a paved parking area on the ToD where we stopped and let her walk around and feel human again. I was happy that no cookies were tossed in my Viper and happy she felt better quickly. There was one other time where she was turning green on the Cherohala Skyway, and pulled over to let her decompress again. I took it slower after that.

NSviper
01-05-2015, 04:23 PM
I see the count down is on. I'll be there again for the third year in a row. Its a Great time with great people. I just hope i can make the trip down this year with some other Canadians.

We are going down again this year. But down through New England. Maybe we can convince Rob and his dad Bernie to attend this year....:)

Stretch
01-05-2015, 04:31 PM
We are going down again this year. But down through New England. Maybe we can convince Rob and his dad Bernie to attend this year....:)

You may have the longest trip locked in again this year!

I've been bugging Mopar Boy & his dad to join us for the last few years. Keep bugging them, sooner or later they will cave and join us :D

Leslie
01-05-2015, 06:05 PM
I am gonna bug him too!
I will be driving from N. Indiana so I would probably meet up with tho Ohio group.

You may have the longest trip locked in again this year!

I've been bugging Mopar Boy & his dad to join us for the last few years. Keep bugging them, sooner or later they will cave and join us :D

Stretch
01-05-2015, 09:26 PM
I am gonna bug him too!
I will be driving from N. Indiana so I would probably meet up with tho Ohio group.

Yes do it!

There should be a few cars leaving from the Indianapolis area that you may be able to catch on the way down to Cincinnati. Last year we had about 18 Vipers driving down 75 together. It was a beautiful sight.

DEADEYE
01-05-2015, 09:39 PM
Hahaha, Ronny had my face green! I almost blew chunks...more than once.

XSTAR
01-11-2015, 09:01 PM
It's always great to have the Viper population in Knoxville/Sevierville skyrocket. Matt and I have likely the shortest trip...maybe I'll drive North to join a caravan :)

No hemi
01-12-2015, 07:52 AM
see you guys there!!

HLANDIS
01-25-2015, 05:54 PM
Hahaha, Ronny had my face green! I almost blew chunks...more than once.
Tyrone! Your a beast!!! You rode all those twisty curvy roads for 2 days with your eye in a view finder and didn't lose it!! WHAT!! not me lol!!
Glad this year you get to bring your beast and enjoy the drives!!
Joel, I'll be pulling two cars in a 40' trailer this year, anyway we can secure a spot ahead of time for that trailer? I know things get a little tight once all arrive!
Thanks and counting down the days!!

Viper67wife
01-28-2015, 06:14 AM
Tony, I'm coordinating the PA group, will leave either Wed night or Thurs AM for the 10 hour drive. We head down 81 outside of Harrisburg if you want to caravan.

Diane

99RT10
02-20-2015, 02:00 PM
Just to bring this back to the top, are we still going to start at the Cracker Barrel off exit 373? And has the hotel rooms been blocked out in Gatlingburg?

Stretch
02-20-2015, 02:46 PM
I talked to Joel last week, he is close to releasing all the details for the event.

The hotel block is already set up as others have mentioned. Last year we had 2 possible routes to take for Friday morning, and we may have the same again.

99RT10
02-20-2015, 03:20 PM
OK, sounds good. I positioned myself for the Cracker Barrel for Thursday night. I just hope the plans are the same as every year since............... :D

HLANDIS
02-21-2015, 06:58 AM
Everyone check your email. There is an official registration form from VOA for the Dragon event.
Looks like this year is going to be the best ever!! Only 250 spots available for the "grand reception dinner" Friday night. Don't miss out!!

uvbnbit
02-21-2015, 09:07 AM
The Red RT/10 looks familiar on the email announcement... got torque?. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-shocked028.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

Too bad no audio, eh, Mikey?

HLANDIS
02-21-2015, 11:50 AM
Blown speakers could be a liability I guess! Lol

The Red RT/10 looks familiar on the email announcement... got torque?. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-shocked028.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

99RT10
02-22-2015, 07:41 AM

That would have been cool. I don't think I got the email with the picture. Not posted on this site either. :(

- - - Updated - - -

Blown speakers could be a liability I guess! Lol

More like blown ear drums................. :D

uvbnbit
02-22-2015, 07:57 AM
That would have been cool. I don't think I got the email with the picture. Not posted on this site either. :(

- - - Updated - - -

More like blown ear drums................. :D

I forwarded it to 2 of the email addy's i had for you.

99RT10
02-22-2015, 08:04 AM
I forwarded it to 2 of the email addy's i had for you.

Got it, thanks Chip. I would love to have the Hi-res version of that picture. Didn't know it even existed. :D

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to uvbnbit again" I hate this rep system. :D :D :D