PDA

View Full Version : 2009: Changing TR-6060 Gearing (5th & 6th, but also 1st?)

Vipermann
12-21-2014, 11:13 AM
If going to trouble to change TR-6060 5th & 6th on a 2009, has anybody also tried going higher with 1st gear? In addition to launches, it seems to me that might also solve the 'skip-shift' issue without ever messing with the PCM. I would guess a 2.97 1st gear would probably put most shifts from 1st above 1700 RPMs and thus no skip-shift?

I don't like 3.55s (or even 3.45s) - this seems like it could be an all-around better solution. (I really would want 3.33 rear gears, but used gears worry me - and all the stories about thicker rear gear rings, which is stronger, etc., are confusing.)

Anybody know if I drove my Viper to Houston if Tomball or somebody would be good to do such a swap?

Thoughts?

Steve M
12-22-2014, 08:24 AM
While 5th and 6th gears in a TR6060 are independently variable, I think 1-4 you have to buy as a cluster, and thus would be cost prohibitive, not to mention that you'd end up with a weaker transmission because of it.

I'd pass on this one. If it's a cost issue, it'd be far cheaper to buy HPTuners and turn the skip shift off that way. You could leave the rest of the tune stock if you so desire...that goes for all of the emissions stuff too if that's a concern.

ultradriver10000
01-04-2015, 11:06 PM
While 5th and 6th gears in a TR6060 are independently variable, I think 1-4 you have to buy as a cluster, and thus would be cost prohibitive, not to mention that you'd end up with a weaker transmission because of it.

I'd pass on this one. If it's a cost issue, it'd be far cheaper to buy HPTuners and turn the skip shift off that way. You could leave the rest of the tune stock if you so desire...that goes for all of the emissions stuff too if that's a concern.

You're correct, I ended up putting in steeper 5/6 gears, I think they were factory ratios .79/.63 from Aston, helps you run a longer first with usable 5/6. Texas Drive train and Performance in Dallas is amazing with t-56 /t-6060 give them a call.

DonatoEng
03-29-2016, 09:33 PM
The 2.97 was never available for the Viper and as stated by Steve M it is a weaker gear set. The revised 5/6 ratio makes a big improvement in drivability. The T-56 set is from an Aston but the T6060 is from a different variation and there were two versions produced. One of the sets is weaker that the other.
If you just want to eliminate the skip shift function there are direct plug in resistors for the harness and the car thinks it is still connected. Much cheaper than buying a tuner.

John

EZ 2B Green
03-29-2016, 10:51 PM
John Donato changed my 5th & 6th years ago and I love it! If you don't find anyone local, ship your T6060 to him.