PDA

View Full Version : COTA 2014 Gen II Wipe Out on Video

Genelehmann
12-18-2014, 10:03 PM
A guy I met at COTA who drove a Porsche and had the Gen II wreck on camera. I was a couple cars behind him and got to the wreck just after it happened. Go to the 0:57 mark and check out his slide. Hate to see such a nice car get damaged like that...

From the driver: "We had caught a train of slower drivers at COTA during the second session of a track day. Out of turn 10 I think this guy's back right tire blew. You can hear a bang as he exits 10. The car snapped sideways. You can see from his brake lights that he instantly did exactly what we were told to do in the event of a spin. He "put two feet in", which means he continued in a straight line rather than trying to save it and becoming unpredictable to me and those behind me. Terrible luck."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a06BtCAcdc

Viper Girl
12-18-2014, 10:10 PM
Glad the driver is ok...

FLATOUT
12-19-2014, 12:56 AM
Very unfortunate to see that happen to a really great owner, and a really nice ACR. That section of the track is pretty quick and it was the one apex all day that my instructor wanted me to push harder, but I just never quite felt comfortable with it until the very end of the day.

Nine Ball
12-19-2014, 07:06 AM
Hard to watch that. I did several times, trying to analyze what might have happened. I hear his RPM climb a lot, just prior to losing it. It could have been a "money-shift", going from the top of 3rd gear into 2nd gear (instead of 4th). Just looks like what a car does when you downshift in a corner. The RPM jumping up is what caught my attention most.

XSnake
12-19-2014, 08:18 AM
Hard to watch that. I did several times, trying to analyze what might have happened. I hear his RPM climb a lot, just prior to losing it. It could have been a "money-shift", going from the top of 3rd gear into 2nd gear (instead of 4th). Just looks like what a car does when you downshift in a corner. The RPM jumping up is what caught my attention most.

Thats what it looks like to me as well.

FrgMstr
12-19-2014, 08:58 AM

Yep, you can see where both his rears started laying down rubber at the same time before the back end stepped out.

Creatre
12-19-2014, 09:06 AM

Yeah I agree. Very easy to do in the Viper, and the way the car reacted looks exactly what it looks like during a bad money shift. Shame to see but glad everyone is OK.

ViperTony
12-19-2014, 09:26 AM
Does that Viper owner want a video of his Viper getting wrecked on the race track posted on the web for his insurance company to see? Hopefully he had OnTrackInsurance for the day.

mjorgensen
12-19-2014, 09:35 AM
Definitely hear revs spike, I came up on him right after also, so sad, it was a very nice car, but I'm just glad he is ok.

Nine Ball
12-19-2014, 09:54 AM
Does that Viper owner want a video of his Viper getting wrecked on the race track posted on the web for his insurance company to see? Hopefully he had OnTrackInsurance for the day.

Nobody mentioned a name. This was also a DE weekend, so most insurance co's are okay with driver education events. Check with your provider.

FrgMstr
12-19-2014, 10:24 AM
One of the instructors is a buddy of mine and I reached out to him, this is what he said: "Instructor I talked to said it was a perfect storm... shifted and stomped on it along with the weight transfer."

Nine Ball
12-19-2014, 10:39 AM
One of the instructors is a buddy of mine and I reached out to him, this is what he said: "Instructor I talked to said it was a perfect storm... shifted and stomped on it along with the weight transfer."

Except that RPM doesn't zing higher when you upshift. It would have dropped down in RPM. The RPM went higher, then you see the wheels smoke from the front of the tire (braking), then the car spins out. All the signs of a dreaded money-shift.

FLATOUT
12-19-2014, 10:55 AM
Are we positive the rev we are hearing is not from the Porsche? Seems like you hear something making the same sound right before that as well.

FrgMstr
12-19-2014, 11:17 AM
Just passing along what the instructor told me....

ViperTony
12-19-2014, 11:47 AM
This was also a DE weekend, so most insurance co's are okay with driver education events. Check with your provider.

LOL, then I have a bridge to sell you. ;)

XSnake
12-19-2014, 11:55 AM
Some insurance company's are ok with it, a lot aren't though. Should def. Check before heading to the track. READ your policy. If it says you are not covered on any "racing surface" then you aren't covered. If it says you aren't covered in "competitive/timed events" then you should be ok. Don't assume anything read what it says in black and white in your policy.

FLATOUT
12-19-2014, 12:11 PM
LOL, then I have a bridge to sell you. ;)

His isurance is covering it, and he did check with them prior to the event. I checked with mine as well. Some are more open to HPDE's than others. As long as no timing equipment is used.

My isurance actually went down after attending due to the classroom and instructor time :D

Ohiotj
12-19-2014, 12:13 PM
That was a pretty hard hit. Was this car a member on here?

TooBlue
12-19-2014, 01:17 PM
Damnnnn...

To add insult to injury, wait till he gets the bill from the track for the Armco. Not exactly sure but I think it was $600.00 per lin ft. at COTA.
I think the astroturf was something crazy like $200.00 per sq. ft.

Whatever the price is, unfortunately it's big bucks...

Snakeracer
12-21-2014, 01:18 PM
By the sounds of it, which is very distinctly a viper, he shifted down not up. Hope his enthusiasm for vipers continues, and doesn't end up written off.

Fatboy 18
12-21-2014, 02:58 PM
Oh God :( Really sorry to see that :(

Im sure the owner is really down at the moment, that would break my heart, hopefully the beast can return to fight another day, please pass on my condolences to the owner :(

Camfab
12-23-2014, 07:16 PM
Damnnnn...

To add insult to injury, wait till he gets the bill from the track for the Armco. Not exactly sure but I think it was $600.00 per lin ft. at COTA.
I think the astroturf was something crazy like $200.00 per sq. ft.

Whatever the price is, unfortunately it's big bucks...

Better than having to pay for the car as well. I'm amazed his insurance covered it, good for him to check with them first. I know Hagerty absolutely does not cover you. It's why I won't go to the track, I don't have the deep pockets to deal with junking my car and paying for the track, and or god forbid injuries to others.

I agree 100% with those that said it was a miss shift.