PDA

View Full Version : My First post

alipontiac
12-18-2014, 05:26 PM
Hi all

this is my first post with two questions in mind

First for those who came from corvette ownership what the things that make you never look back??

Second i know that the GTS interior comes with more leather than the base SRT...is the Laguna leather package standard in the GTS ?? i just saw this viper on Ebay

v
v
v
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Viper-GTS-2014-srt-viper-gts-silver-149-msrp-24-k-off-msrp-1-000-mile-dealer-demo-/181602103836?forcerrptr=true&hash=item2a4854321c&item=181602103836&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

i thought its SRT from the 6 hood vents, then i noticed it came with laguna leather i didn't notice from the beginning its GTS from the title..i get more confused. can someone explain more about both of them.

Third Is there a difference in chassis rigidity for 2015 ??

05Commemorative
12-18-2014, 05:48 PM
1) coming from corvette: biggest differences where performance, exclusivity, higher-end product all around and the V10 is difficult to describe without experiencing
2) Laguna leather: GTS option on 2013 and 2014. I believe std on 2015
3) 6 hood vents: SRT only in 2013. option on GTS in 14 and I expect 15.

No differences in rigidity. Curious why you would ask as extremely rigid cars. 13-15's effectively identical minus a few colors, options, and more features std in 15.

Torquemonster06
12-18-2014, 06:00 PM
So have you already purchased a viper or are the questions for a future viper buy?

alipontiac
12-18-2014, 07:22 PM
05Commemorative i have experienced the V10 in 3rd gen viper that thing was a beast the torque was there at any gear at any RPM,lovely exhaust burbles and wow how people react when they see a viper. unlike corvette they are every where.

Torquemonster06 i am Future buyer, i was considering the C7 but the viper is more exotic..and i see 5th gen viper prices are in great range.

i know when Edmunds test the C7 and the viper, the vette got better braking,slalom time and more laterla Gs...but in reality i don't care about those numbers cause i don't track the car only spirited road driving..and the feeling is more important to me than the numbers.

Policy Limits
12-18-2014, 07:42 PM
My C6 was a daily driver. My Viper is for Sunday funday. Hated seeing vettes all over the road. Love that I never see vipers. General Motors over does it with electronics. Viper can sit without dying. Corvettes are 90% automatic. Vipers are 100% stick shift. They make 17 corvettes per hour by robot. They only make a few hundred vipers per year by hand. Viper has the exlusivity, higher performance, handbuilt component, and overall is much more special. Even if you get a Z06 or ZR1 it still closely resembles the dime a dozen base model.

1.8t
12-18-2014, 08:57 PM
Coming from corvette ownership the biggest difference is exclusivity and styling. Corvettes are performers the same as Vipers...that isn't what makes these cars unique.

05Commemorative
12-18-2014, 09:53 PM
I guess I would add a Viper is an experience that is extremely engaging all of the time. Not my choice for a daily driver, but a special experience. The vette to me was much more of a daily driver that also had good performance. btw, I would not read much into the Edmonds article as one of the worst I had seen on "facts" that don't play out.

End of the day, depends what you are looking for. If it was me looking for a daily driver sports car, I guess I would not choose either, but if had to, would get the vette. If wanting a special car that is engaging and a thrill, the Viper. But the single biggest reason for me is the parking test. You know, the one where you park, walk away and then look back. With the vette, I just walk away.

Lastly, if one does not take these cars to a road course, you truly don't experience their differences. The vette falls off here and the Viper rewards if you know how to drive. I disagree with 1.8t a bit on that aspect because the vettes always had to be modified to keep up and last whole sessions. Vipers pretty amazing right off the show-room floor. Add in alignment, racing pads and hoosiers and different world. When I see the vette guys do that, something else is usually about the break. Same think proving itself with the new C7.

I guess figure out what your primary needs are, which you like the look of best, then test drive and see which becomes obvious to you. I don't think it will be a tough decision (either way)

1.8t
12-18-2014, 10:16 PM
II disagree with 1.8t a bit on that aspect because the vettes always had to be modified to keep up and last whole sessions.

My point is you aren't going to get into a Viper after corvette ownership and be blown away by the performance. Be it acceleration, braking, or handling...they are all ballpark with one another(speaking about Z06/ZR1 cars obviously). I wasn't referring to road course sustainability.

Boba Fett
12-19-2014, 01:50 AM
I guess I would add a Viper is an experience that is extremely engaging all of the time. Not my choice for a daily driver, but a special experience. The vette to me was much more of a daily driver that also had good performance. btw, I would not read much into the Edmonds article as one of the worst I had seen on "facts" that don't play out.

End of the day, depends what you are looking for. If it was me looking for a daily driver sports car, I guess I would not choose either, but if had to, would get the vette. If wanting a special car that is engaging and a thrill, the Viper. But the single biggest reason for me is the parking test. You know, the one where you park, walk away and then look back. With the vette, I just walk away.

Lastly, if one does not take these cars to a road course, you truly don't experience their differences. The vette falls off here and the Viper rewards if you know how to drive. I disagree with 1.8t a bit on that aspect because the vettes always had to be modified to keep up and last whole sessions. Vipers pretty amazing right off the show-room floor. Add in alignment, racing pads and hoosiers and different world. When I see the vette guys do that, something else is usually about the break. Same think proving itself with the new C7.

I guess figure out what your primary needs are, which you like the look of best, then test drive and see which becomes obvious to you. I don't think it will be a tough decision (either way)
Agree 110%

Have owned 3 Z06's and an 11 ZR1
Have had great luck with all and truly find them to be great performance vehicles

Now own a 2014 orange TA. 05Comm states it the best with the "extremely engaging all the time" comment. Again like 05Comm I don't dd drive my Viper and really would not want to. The rawness and exclusivity is the deal sealer for me. The better driver you are, the more rewarding the car is and so depending on your personality the car can be kind of inspiring. For these reasons, no looking back is necessary amongst some others. FWIW I did have a deposit early on an allocation for a new Z and cancelled. The Z was gonna be in addition to my TA (not a replacement). I cancelled quite some time ago and glad I did.

alipontiac
12-19-2014, 06:57 AM
Thanks all for your reply...i think exclusivity is the factor that won't make you get bored of the car... i tested the Porsche 911/991 PDK...great sport car and practical...but nothing special at all...unlike when i drive my friend R8 V8..every time i get inside it it feel special ....thats why i prefer the viper in this term..but i wonder if anyone use it a true daily drive like grocery getter..i think the only issue is tight parking spots.

but still not sure about SRT and GTS options.

Nine Ball
12-19-2014, 07:16 AM
I still like Corvettes, and will likely purchase a C7 Z06 at some point. But, I would never sell a Viper to get a Corvette, I like having both. The Viper is far more attention-getting, feels far more special to drive. The Corvettes are just fun/fast daily drivers, to me. They are so common, and most people do not recognize between base model Corvettes and the high trim level models. So, if you want to have a fun/fast daily that you won't have to worry about in the mall parking lot - Corvettes shine, in that regard. The Viper will attract too much (sometimes unwanted) attention. You'll come back and find face prints on the side windows, phone numbers left under the wipers, I've even had a lipstick kiss on the windshield before. A buddy of mine even had a Twin Peaks waitress try and take him home last weekend, because of the orange TA. LOL

Working on both cars, the Viper is a LOT easier to maintain and work on. Especially if you ever get around to changing the clutch out on either car. The Vipers have always seemed over-built and heavy duty from underneath. The Corvettes (except the ZR1) have always seemed "adequately" built. Just barely good enough for their stock factory rated HP. No other car on the road, has a more rigid drivetrain/suspension/chassis than a Viper does. They can handle BIG power, even in stock form.

Tony

genVer
12-19-2014, 08:37 AM
I daily drive my Viper and have had no issues other than as Nine Ball pointed out, tons of attention. Makes you feel like you're some kind of rock star. :D The lower section of the seat isn't very comfortable but it's not bad enough to keep me from wanting to drive it every day. I've put over 7000 miles on it in the past 8 months!

I came from Corvette as well having owned 3 C6's back to back with the last being a Z07. It was my favorite car I had ever owned until I got the Viper. Now that I have experienced it on the track I have no doubt I'll ever go back. LOVE this thing!

Stretch
12-19-2014, 09:01 AM
I do take mine grocery shopping occasionally just because it's ridiculous. The Coronas got a little shaken up on the way home though :-)

Herrsss
12-19-2014, 10:05 AM
I refused to even consider a Vette when I was looking at the '08 because Vettes are a dime a dozen. I daily drive both of my roadsters because they're special and oceans of fun. It's also a stress reliever after a busy day to fly down the road with the top down. The '08 has 52,000 miles and the Medusa has 1200 miles already (took delivery in mid-October). I have been known to grocery shop in both of them and can get a week's worth for a family of 4 in the trunk but the t.p. has to go in the passenger seat! The looks you get when doing something silly makes it all worth while! I drove the Medusa on Halloween with a Medusa snake hat on!

alipontiac
12-19-2014, 02:23 PM
Thanks for the input guys..
Nine ball me also know that the vipers built to handle real abuse but strangely my friend blow his rear end twice in his 3rd gen.

Steve M
12-19-2014, 02:30 PM
Nine ball me also know that the vipers built to handle real abuse but strangely my friend blow his rear end twice in his 3rd gen.

The third gen differential was a known weak point - that was fixed in 2008 with the release of the Gen 4.

IndyRon
12-19-2014, 03:26 PM
I love the engaged driving experience. You feel like you are driving a purpose build performance car. The car is extremely rigid and overbuilt as everyone else said and yet it isn't really complicated at all. Overall, there are no cars in the price range that can compete and I'm hard pressed to come up with something for 2x the price that I'd rather drive.

Nine Ball
12-19-2014, 05:10 PM

Something tells me your friend doesn't know how to lift the throttle, when wheel-hop starts up. Wheel-hop kills rearends. My stock Gen 3 rearend has never broken, and I had it up to 850 rwhp before I finally made some upgrades to it.

alipontiac
12-20-2014, 12:04 PM
Thanks all i appreciate it...ok does anyone sit on both SRT and GTS and noticed the difference in the material or leather?? or anything make the GTS more special?

05Commemorative
12-20-2014, 02:04 PM
GTS has the option for the Laguna leather package (std in 15) and is a much better interior package. some will argue if worth the money, but definitely noticeable. You got to go check out the cars, sit in it yourself and decide.

Thanks all i appreciate it...ok does anyone sit on both SRT and GTS and noticed the difference in the material or leather?? or anything make the GTS more special?