PDA

View Full Version : Reckless...

Jrmckee09
11-18-2013, 08:24 PM
Yesterday I took my 01' GTS out for one final cruise before putting her away for the winter. Long story short...I was charged with reckless driving and speeding....besides putting my tail between my legs when I go to see the judge, does anyone have any advice? This is my first speeding ticket in over six years...I was pulled over in Gear County, KS...

XSnake
11-18-2013, 08:27 PM
Yesterday I took my 01' GTS out for one final cruise before putting her away for the winter. Long story short...I was charged with reckless driving and speeding....besides putting my tail between my legs when I go to see the judge, does anyone have any advice? This is my first speeding ticket in over six years...I was pulled over in Gear County, KS...

WOW, you are lucky they didn't take you directly to jail and impound your car. Plead No Contest

pony23
11-18-2013, 08:28 PM
Get a lawyer!!!!!!

My friend got snagged for racing, got a lawyer, had it reduced to speeding. Cost him $2000 but better than a racing charge getting to the insurance company.

TowDawg
11-18-2013, 08:34 PM
I'm not sure how nolo contendere works there (or at all anymore), but I've heard it's basically some kind "free pass" you can use on certain offenses (you still pay $). I'd check into that and also with a lawyer. As much I hate paying lawyers for anything, they usually have contacts and can plead your offense down to something with less penalties.

11-18-2013, 08:35 PM
What statute was written on your ticket?

You should get a lawyer. Some factors for the attorney are: road conditions, visibility, anyone in the vicinity, did you pull over promptly, any priors. Save the arrest record -- the car will be worth more when you sell it.

I found this Kansas Statute:

Chapter 8: Automobiles And Other Vehicles
Article 15: Uniform Act Regulating Traffic; Rules Of The Road
Statute 8-1566: Reckless driving, penalties. (a) Any person who drives any vehicle in willful or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property is guilty of reckless driving.
(b) Except as provided in K.S.A. 8-2,142, violation of this section is a misdemeanor. Upon a first conviction of a violation of this section, a person shall be sentenced to not less than five days nor more than 90 days imprisonment or fined not less than $25 nor more than $500, or both such fine and imprisonment. On a second or subsequent conviction of a violation of this section, a person shall be sentenced to not less than 10 days nor more than six months imprisonment, or fined not less than $50 nor more than $500 or both such fine and imprisonment.

TowDawg
11-18-2013, 08:35 PM
I didn't notice the KS location at first. Give Chris Marshall a call. I'm sure he can help.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

XSnake
11-18-2013, 08:43 PM
I didn't notice the KS location at first. Give Chris Marshall a call. I'm sure he can help.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

ROTFLMFAO :z:

sparkrn
11-18-2013, 08:44 PM
How fast were you going before you saw the cop? I got pulled over for the same speed in Illinois and got away with only a no license plate ticket. One of the luckiest days of my life.

01sapphirebob
11-18-2013, 08:46 PM
Proof that Sapphire cars are THE FASTEST Vipers. :D :drive:

plumcrazy
11-18-2013, 08:53 PM
without question, you need a lawyer

chesapeake07
11-18-2013, 09:18 PM
Totally agree with plum. Don't take your chances here, get legal help. You will be glad you did and have the best chances for a reduction in charge.

VoodooRob
11-18-2013, 09:26 PM
Quit typing and start calling lawyers! Its gonna cost but a connected lawyer can get some light at the end of the tunnel.

Hiss Highness
11-18-2013, 09:40 PM
a fella in Canada got away with it on his motorbike, won by showing what the road conditions were, lack of other vehicles, condition of his vehicle both mechanically and what it is safely capable of doing, showed there was no wanton or careless disregard, showed he was careful and knew what both he and the machine could do, government was trying to seize his bike for good under a civil forfeit act, he won and walked

Viper Girl
11-18-2013, 09:45 PM
Better call Saul...

Lawyer up as much as you can... hope they didn't calibrate the gun properly... you are probably looking for a technicality.

Anonymous
11-18-2013, 09:51 PM
You know that saying "save for a rainy day" well its raining ,lawyer up you will be happier when it's over.

SmoknTires
11-18-2013, 10:52 PM
Wow. And I had a story about me getting pulled over doing 150... you beat me.

Lawyer up. Make sure you find someone who knows the prosecutor well, that's a lot of where the deals are made. Lawyer makes a big difference in your situation. But find one that works at the courthouse that you're going to so they have relationships.

Good luck!

Coloviper
11-18-2013, 10:54 PM
In Colorado, they have a plea case set up on a lesser charge ready for you at court if you plead guilty to that.

In your case, the speed he writes down is what will determine the offense specifics. You will need a lawyer to help with this if you are not presented with an acceptable reduced plea. They will do what hey can to help get an acceptable outcome. Either way, you have two goals; to stay out of further jail time and to keep your driver's license. Beyond that, be prepaid for the costs as it is going to cost for this one time and for some time after to insure.

At 95, it would be 20 over speed limit which is considered reckless driving. Pray he only wrote you up for 95.

99RT10
11-18-2013, 11:17 PM
Next time, don't slow down,, dont pull over. You would have had a better chance of getting away.

ACRucrazy
11-19-2013, 12:23 AM
Good luck!
Closest I got to that was being pulled over for doing 130+ past a weigh station with about 4-5 troopers at it. I surprised them, they surprised me. Admitted nothing and after an hr on the road side I drove away slowly with a very stern warning.. :car-smiley-003:

brantdw
11-19-2013, 01:08 AM
Why didnt you just floor it and get lost. At those speeds it takes minutes to catch up. Floor the car and ride it out. Since you wussied out, get a good lawyer.

GreenVenom
11-19-2013, 03:23 AM
Always flip em off and just floor it!! Cops like it when you do that :)

Leslie
11-19-2013, 03:38 AM
I was with 3 other sports cars in KY about 5 yrs ago, cop pulled us all over doing 130+.

We payed a lawyer $1k each and he took care of everything, never even had to show up in court.

KNG SNKE
11-19-2013, 06:53 AM
Proof that Sapphire cars are THE FASTEST Vipers. :D :drive:

He got caught! If they were the fastest then he wouldn't have been caught!

Either way good luck, I always have the fear that one of my quick bursts to 130 is going to get me arrested one day. Always worse when your an Officer as well.

brantdw
11-19-2013, 10:53 AM
In Oregon its Jail time for over 100+. Either way your screwed. It not much incentive to stop after being clocked at those speeds.

ViperSmith
11-19-2013, 11:09 AM
You need a lawyer.

JonB ~ PartsRack
11-19-2013, 12:20 PM
Jeremy, listen to me:

1) EDIT THE POSTS ABOVE that clearly reveal too much.

2) If you post on other social media, EDIT or delete.

3) After # 1 and #2 please get a couple references for a 'connected" Atty that specializes in traffic court.

4) Id suggest going to Court in uniform. Good Luck. I hope there was little-no traffic in your lanes during the event.

5) a plea-down is important..... Serious infractions can affect your military record. Not to mention a license-suspension is nasty to deal with.

GOOD LUCK SIR and thank you for your service

VYPR BYT
11-19-2013, 01:08 PM

Sorry, couldn't resist.

ROTFLMFAO :z:

LOL... ironically he'd likely be "helping" you out with your own money :o

VYPR BYT
11-19-2013, 01:20 PM
Jrmckee09, as others mentioned get a lawyer. Mine specialized in traffic.
I had 10 points this summer, lawyerd-up, reduced by 2 points immediately down to 8. This March 6 more come off leaving me with 2 left.
You'll likely want to take a defensive driving course since it can take 2 points off and also help lower insurance. It's $50 for the course and it only takes like 4 hours... I spread it out over 3 or 4 nights when I did it. I think you can only take it like once every 3 or 4 years. It's sponsored by the national safety council.
NSC Defensive Driving Course (DDC-Online) (http://www.nscddconline.com/Finesource/basket/purchase_e.asp?ugid=007286AC&sid=&rid=21303)

cobraken
11-19-2013, 01:21 PM
Reckless driving is a crime so you need an attorney. I will reserve comment as to your alleged(?) speed.

Take Jon B's advise. One of the first things an attorney will ask is if you have posted anything about the incident.

JerseyGTS
11-19-2013, 01:46 PM
Hypothetically speaking, do you think you could have allegedly gone over 180 or 190 on that pull?

Loud
11-19-2013, 04:01 PM
I was pulled over doing 100+ but wouldn't floor it to try and get away. Radio messages travel faster than Vipers and the punishment would be much worse.

Lawyer up, clear earlier posts about speeding, and good luck.

Jrmckee09
11-19-2013, 05:01 PM
Thank you everyone...I will re-post after the dust settles!

Torquemonster06
11-19-2013, 05:04 PM
Good luck.

C.J
11-19-2013, 05:10 PM
I have a friend in VA that was clocked at 116 MPH in a 55 (yeah, he was out of his right mind) and he got a lawyer and still had to serve a month in jail. Granted, his lawyer wasn't well connected in that county, and that area (Warrenton) is known for being very tough on speeders. And the fool was 61 over the speed limit.

As some previously said, "Better call Saul." I hope the outcome is good.

KRATEDISEASE
11-19-2013, 05:21 PM
Always flip em off and just floor it!! Cops like it when you do that :)

OMG you made me laugh so hard !!! keep up the comedy . love it .

KRATEDISEASE
11-19-2013, 05:24 PM
Hypothetically speaking, do you think you could have allegedly gone over 180 or 190 on that pull?

LOL.... keep up the comedy.... I cannot stop laughing !!!

KRATEDISEASE
11-19-2013, 05:44 PM

Jrmcckee09,

First of all do NOT lose any sleep listening to anyone scare you.

1) You are NOT going to jail and will never serve one second in jail .( unless this is your second or third similar offense at this speed)

2) You need a Lawyer. The lawyer is necessary to negotiate this matter to a lower offense like a simple speeding ticket.You cannot be your own negotiator.

3) Yes, John B is correct Do NOT BLOG or post about the SPECIFIC EVENTS or what occurred that day.

4) Advise your lawyer that you are willing to pay fines/penalties to the courts to have this reduced. The courts are nothing more than fine collecting entities and the more money you throw at them, the more willing they are to listen to your lawyer plead this down from a criminal matter ( reckless endangerment) to a speeding ticket.

Remember, the less you are willing to pay in fines, the more Painful this is going to be. The more you are willing to spend the better this will get. Figure this will cost you about $5000-$7000 in fines plus Attorneys fees to get this reduced to a speeding ticket, but you will keep your drivers license, keep your criminal record clean.

Winter is approaching. You do not want to be riding a moped to work in the snow due to a suspended license.

Bill Pemberton
11-19-2013, 06:56 PM
That was in Geary County, and though I have not lived in Kansas for 20 years, that can be a tough County. Ft Riley Army Base is there ( Junction City) , so unfortunately they are a bit strict with a military establishment in the County , and it is right near Manhattan , Ks. ( Kansas State University ) also. I would really suggest an Attorney , per everyone else's suggestion, and ask if the speed is reduced to just 10 miles over if it will stay off your record ( that used to be the case). It would be worth paying a reduced fine and more if the Attorney can get you off the reckless driving charge, and letting them know you have had a clean record for over 6 years should really help you. Best of luck!!

VYPR BYT
11-20-2013, 11:24 AM
Jrmckee09, it's great that you took Jon's advice and cleaned up your original post but there are two people that quoted your original post so you might ask them politely to changed those asap.
I think there is a time limit something like 24-48 hours or something till they can no longer edit so you better ask them quickly.
They are on (post #2) (http://driveviper.com/forums/threads/651-Reckless?p=7662&viewfull=1#post7662) and (post#9) (http://driveviper.com/forums/threads/651-Reckless?p=7680&viewfull=1#post7680)

Good luck,
Mike

intense
11-27-2013, 12:54 PM
You'd think a place named "Gear County" would be more tolerant of such things. Maybe move to gearhead cnty.

LeakyGasket
11-27-2013, 02:19 PM
You'd think a place named "Gear County" would be more tolerant of such things. Maybe move to gearhead cnty.

I'm sure he meant Geary County.

MI Viper
02-06-2014, 07:05 AM
So what ever happened here? I'm getting ready to go to court over my last speeding ticket...