PDA

View Full Version : My 2015 Porsche 991 GT3 Vs my 2008 ACR

fastmd
12-11-2014, 08:48 AM
I thought some of my fellow Viper owners may find this comparrsion useful. I recently took delivery of my 2015 991 GT3 and the entire time I have been waiting for it, I had been curious how it would comapre to my beloved 2008 ACR-hardcore. Some background, I think of myself as a true car guy, i.e. appreciate all makes, german, italian, american, import etc. However, I have a true passion for German cars and always own a few at a time.

Back in 2006, I bought my first Viper a 2006 SRT-Vert Gts Blue. After that I was hooked, and ordered my 2008 ACR-hardcore orange/blk the day it was announced. Between then and today I have owned over 20+ sports cars, but the ACR always keeps its spot in my main garage.

Now to the comparrison:

Looks: Both have fantastic lines, big wings, and look the part. The Viper gets more attention. I think this 991 GT3 is the best non-air cooled 911 to date. However, I think the Viper wins this round.

Interior: Not a fair comparrison, as the Viper is almost 8 years old and this was never a concern. However, as usual the Porsche wins with its interiors.

Brakes: I have the steel brakes on the GT3 vs PCCB, due to replacement cost. But the ACR holds its own with its setup(stock, with steel lines). But, the GT3 brakes are glorious and are better.

Sound: No battle here. The ACR with its Bellanger headers and Corsa track exhaust are just bada$$. However, the GT3 runs up to 9K RPM and that sound is intoxicating. ACR still wins.

Transmission: The GT3 has the new PDK-S transmission, which is the best transmission I have driven in a street car(some of my current and past cars: 2014 911 Turbo S, 14 911 C4, Mclaren MP4, F430-Scud, Lambo Gallardo, R8 V10, Nissan GTR etc.) this transmission is just incredible. The manuals don't compare in my mind. GT3 wins.

Handling: The GT3 has all types of fancy aids, including Rear Wheel Steering which is fantastic. I don't have to explain the ACR. However, there is a different level of feeling/excitement driving the ACR, which some people will never understand. I can push this GT3 well past my ACR and the suspension is much better. But, the easiest way to put it is this: A great driver will probably get better lap times in the GT3, and excellent Viper experienced driver will get better times in the ACR and beat the great driver, my opinion.

Speed: As excellent as the GT3 is, there is no replacing the ACR's power. ACR all the way.

I have been on a search to find a car that I love as much as my ACR and have spent enormous amount of money trying to do so, but I finally found it with this new GT3. Now, if my order comes thru with the new 991 GT3 RS........

Steve M
12-11-2014, 08:57 AM
That's a sweet Porsche...thanks for the write-up! New cars keep getting better and better, but it is nice to see that the Viper still has a place in this quickly changing world.

Nine Ball
12-11-2014, 09:19 AM
I got to ride in a new GT3 (w/ PCCB's) last week, at the road course. Amazing car. I've always liked the GT3 cars, good balance of power and handling. That would be the Porsche I'd consider buying.

Leslie
12-11-2014, 11:53 AM
I am a big Porsche fan, instruct with them..I am jealous of your garage!!!

Late Apex
12-11-2014, 03:12 PM
The GT3 is just plain awesome and why so many teams drive them with great success. Your comparo is spot on IMO. Well done.

ohlarikd
12-12-2014, 11:37 AM
Hah, my wife saw your wife driving that white 911 last month. And my wife NEVER mentions cars - she liked it. What happened to the black 911? Knowing you, you have both.

Roddy
12-12-2014, 01:00 PM
Nice reveiw. Congrats on the car!

Getnlwr
12-12-2014, 04:32 PM
Great review, if you don't mind, what did the GT3 set you back?

fastmd
12-12-2014, 05:45 PM
Hah, my wife saw your wife driving that white 911 last month. And my wife NEVER mentions cars - she liked it. What happened to the black 911? Knowing you, you have both.

Traded the black 991 as it became one of my wife's daily drivers. Got her the new Maserati Gramturismo MC to keep her away from my GT3 :)

fastmd
12-12-2014, 05:46 PM
No real discounts, paid sticker $160K.

Boba Fett
12-13-2014, 07:18 AM
Drove a few Porsches, impressive they are. GT3 would def be my choice from the Porsche family. Congrats and enjoy!