PDA

View Full Version : Passenger Airbag On/Off switch

viperdriver5150
12-02-2014, 11:15 PM
I am looking to have a manual passenger airbag on/off switch installed in my new 2013 Viper before delivery. I have submitted the forms to the NHTSA and now just waiting on approval. Has anyone had a switch installed on their Viper and if so which brand did you go with and what was the total cost. AIO electrical looks like they make some quality switches.

canadian viper
12-02-2014, 11:27 PM
if you dont mind me asking, why turn it off?

viperdriver5150
12-03-2014, 12:23 AM
if you dont mind me asking, why turn it off?

I want to be able to take my son for rides who is 2 now. The vipers I had in 1998 and 2000 had the switch right on the dash. Now the government has decided they know much more than us.

CarolinaViper
12-03-2014, 06:09 AM
I am looking to have a manual passenger airbag on/off switch installed in my new 2013 Viper before delivery. I have submitted the forms to the NHTSA and now just waiting on approval. Has anyone had a switch installed on their Viper and if so which brand did you go with and what was the total cost. AIO electrical looks like they make some quality switches.

Don't have an answer, but I do have another question. My 04 also has the capability to turn it off w/key, does the Gen V airbag system work based on weight in the seat? Same problem you have, but w/granddaughter.

canadian viper
12-03-2014, 06:37 AM
i thought it does work with weight in the seat. ??

viperdriver5150
12-03-2014, 06:54 AM
Don't have an answer, but I do have another question. My 04 also has the capability to turn it off w/key, does the Gen V airbag system work based on weight in the seat? Same problem you have, but w/granddaughter.

Gen V does not have a key. It is based on weight only but I would never trust that alone with him in the car. They make switches for people that want to carry small children in the car but it has to be approved by the NHTSA before any dealer would be allowed to install it. You fill out a simple form and wait for the approval in the mail, then that is given to the dealer so they have no liability with the installation of the switch. Its the government "helping" us again.

If anyone wants links to the form or a fax number that actually works to send them in, please let me know and I will post them.

FrgMstr
12-03-2014, 07:01 AM
MY Gen IV car has the sensor in the seat. Kids get in, light comes on telling me that the air bag is off. Roughly about 110/120 pounds from what I can tell. Always give the wife a hard time when see causes the airbag to come on! ;)

CarolinaViper
12-03-2014, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the information...didn't know you could do that with a switch.

Jeff

zee
01-16-2020, 12:48 PM
What kind of car seats are you using in your Gen 5? I want to take my 3 year old with me to some shows - Anyone have pics they can post? Also, did you ever figure out if you can turn off the passenger side air bag manually? I am going to try to see if it turns off by weight.

sharmut
01-16-2020, 01:12 PM
@zee, Doug Shelby makes a module.

http://www.dougshelbyengineering.com/tillett.html