PDA

View Full Version : New type of Battery Trickle Charger?

City
11-26-2014, 11:36 AM
Anyone know if Griot's claims are worthwhile regarding this new battery "management" product?

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/battery+manager+v.do?code=EMBCBB

The Battery Manager V is not a static charger that sits there and trickles, it is an active management device that features state-of-the-art technology to improve battery performance, longevity, and overall condition. It services 6- and 12-volt batteries in a wide variety of battery types, including Conventional, Maintenance Free, AGM, Gel Cell, Spiral Wound, and Deep Cycle. The Battery Manager V's safe, micro-processor controlled multi-phase charging process reconditions a dead or weak battery, and the unit even has an exercising mode that maintains battery health once charging is complete. The Battery Manager V also includes reverse polarity protection, temperature compensation, short circuit protection, over-voltage protection, and a recovery mode to resume charging after power outages.

FrgMstr
11-26-2014, 11:55 AM
Not really new. CTEK has has units on the market that does this.

I have had this CTEK Multi US 3300 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FQBWCY/?tag=hardfocom-20) for 3 years now and it is excellent. Does battery maintenance as well and desulphation. I hook it up with the included pigtail kit that I can reach through the rear fascia so you don't have to leave the hood open.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61BEq1FbRGL._SL1080_.jpg

Maintenance pulse charging increases battery life and gives superb performance, and patented functionality allows for the recovery of slightly sulphated batteries.

Chorps
11-26-2014, 12:05 PM
Not really new. CTEK has has units on the market that does this.

I have had this CTEK Multi US 3300 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FQBWCY/?tag=hardfocom-20) for 3 years now and it is excellent. Does battery maintenance as well and desulphation. I hook it up with the included pigtail kit that I can reach through the rear fascia so you don't have to leave the hood open.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61BEq1FbRGL._SL1080_.jpg

+1. Love my CTek 3300 as well. I actually have it hooked up to my computer's UPS spares right now to maintain them.

BlknBlu
11-26-2014, 12:24 PM
i have Cteks in all my cars.

Bruce

Late Apex
11-26-2014, 01:35 PM
As many owners do I also use the Deltran battery tender on the car at all times in the garage. No clamps to fool with, just plug into the 12v receptacle in the storage box between the seats. Cheaper too and best price is always on Amazon. Use them on the boat too while in storage.

arizonajack
11-26-2014, 02:21 PM
Harbor Freight's battery tenders have been working well for me for years. Usually under $10.

City
11-26-2014, 02:40 PM
So as usual, there's plenty of comparable items out there. Just Griot's marketing at play. Might be time for me to invest rather than charge every 3rd-4th week to take a short drive during the winter.

Redx
11-26-2014, 04:46 PM
As many owners do I also use the Deltran battery tender on the car at all times in the garage. No clamps to fool with, just plug into the 12v receptacle in the storage box between the seats. Cheaper too and best price is always on Amazon. Use them on the boat too while in storage.

Another +1 for deltran, i have two of them and both have been great!

Steve M
11-26-2014, 04:47 PM
So as usual, there's plenty of comparable items out there. Just Griot's marketing at play. Might be time for me to invest rather than charge every 3rd-4th week to take a short drive during the winter.

Exactly...Battery Tenders, CTEK, and I'm sure a few others use the exact same technology/technique to keep the battery topped off. I've had my Battery Tender Plus since 2004, and picked up a 2-bank a few years ago to keep my mower battery charged over the winter.

thetalonguy
11-30-2014, 04:31 PM
I just picked up one from Lowes on Friday. $40: Schumacher SP3. It's a battery charger and maintainer. It gives you the option of using clamps or the cigarette lighter. It also analyzes the battery to determine if it's a 6 or 12 volt and automatically goes to trickle after hitting full charge. Further, it has the desulphication monitoring. Seems to have the same options as the CTEK above but at half the price. It took me all of 30 seconds to hook up. Just another option for those interested.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_595177-41462-SP3_0__?Ntt=schumacher+sp3&UserSearch=schumacher+sp3&productId=50256407&rpp=32

2010.Blue.White.ACR
11-30-2014, 04:52 PM
I have the Mopar one made by ctek

arizonajack
11-30-2014, 08:26 PM
Harbor Freight's battery tenders have been working well for me for years. Usually under $10.

On sale for $4.99 this weekend. Picked up three of them.

ViperJon
12-01-2014, 08:31 AM
They all work the same, although I'd feel a little nervous hooking my 100K car up to a Harbor Freight $4.99 unit.
I have four Battery Tender Plus's, work great. Costco had them for like $35.00. I've used original one for like 8 years.

TrackAire
12-02-2014, 05:35 PM
They all work the same, although I'd feel a little nervous hooking my 100K car up to a Harbor Freight $4.99 unit.
I have four Battery Tender Plus's, work great. Costco had them for like $35.00. I've used original one for like 8 years.

Be careful with the Harbor Freight unit....it is not designed to work on AGM batteries which also means it does not work if storing the vehicles in very cold weather. The colder the conditions, the higher the voltage needs to be for the battery to accept the correct charge.

You can download the instructions off the HF website to verify this. AGM's need a slightly higher voltage charge....I would not trust the circuitry in the HF unit.

FrgMstr
12-02-2014, 09:01 PM

Exactly. I ain't gonna leave no damn HF cheapy attached for long periods of time.