PDA

View Full Version : race trailer

viperdoc
11-25-2014, 11:47 PM
I'm in the market for an open aluminum trailer to tow my ACR to the track. Not much available in CA. Does anyone have insight or recommendations for trailers positive or negative?
Thx

Mopar Boy
11-26-2014, 07:03 AM
I'm in the market for an open aluminum trailer to tow my ACR to the track. Not much available in CA. Does anyone have insight or recommendations for trailers positive or negative?
Thx

Not as versed on open trailers as I am on enclosed (maybe some folks here can recommend brands), but a few thoughts for trailers in general:

1 - Make sure your tow vehicle is capable of towing the weight of the trailer, car, and gear combined.
2 - Good choice on aluminum. It is the way to go!
3 - Make sure you get either long ramps and or a very low profile trailer. There are a few out there that do race car style trailers. A normal car trailer will be tough on your splitter.
4 - Make sure it is a dual axle and has electric trailer brakes (not surge brakes). Better to pay the few hundred more now for the ability to actually pull an emergency stop and save your Viper if one day you had to vs hitting the car that cut you off, etc.
5 - Make sure there is some storage at the front of the trailer. You will appreciate that when you inevitably need to store stuff.
6- Make sure you get a stone guard on the front of the trailer. Would be amazed at what comes off the rear tires of the tow vehicle. :(

Hope that helps with some food for thought!

Oh, and a brand that is good although a bit expensive is http://www.fthr.com/products/car-trailers/bumper-pull/3110-car-trailer

Robert

pastohio
11-26-2014, 07:16 AM
Featherlite is the only way to go, also buy the front air dam they make and install, it really works to protect the car, I also installed a 12K winch on the front nose to load and unload stuff by myself !! it is easy to move the empty trailer around by yourself with some pushing...my $.02 ( never sorry I bought one and a great warranty as well)

Dusty1
11-26-2014, 08:45 AM
The Sloan Kwikload is another great option, we had them add a tire rack and winch up front to ease loading. http://www.kwikload.com/

Scott Mannny
11-26-2014, 09:19 AM
I also have a Kwikload with a aluminum deck and fenders. Loading my ACR is a breeze. A front air dam to protect the car is a must!!

AZTVR
11-26-2014, 10:12 AM
Another option is a JIMGLO aluminum tilt trailer. I have seen a local Corvette racer using one and it looks like a great set up. It probably doesn't have as shallow a load angle as the Kwikload though. The Kwikload is fantastic because you never have to fool with ramps like worrying about a ramp jumping off as you are loading (seen it) or driving off the ramp or having a shallow enough angle with the ramp or issues with clearing the fenders with open doors.

C-Note
11-26-2014, 10:58 AM
I really like my Sloan Quick Load Trailer. While not aluminum it is pretty light for a steel trailer and it works exceptionally well. I agree about the front faring, its a must.
http://driveviper.com/gallery/data/500/medium/DSCN3325.JPG

FLATOUT
11-26-2014, 11:12 AM
I also have a Sloan Qwick load and love it. Worked great for my ACR and now for the TA.

C-Note
11-26-2014, 11:16 AM
I haven't tried to put my TA on mine yet, where you able to get it on there without ramps? My Gen2 with a Hennessey front would not clear without a little help from ramps.

PittsburghRT
11-26-2014, 11:35 AM
Owned 3 car trailers previously and really like the Featherlites. Just sold an open Featherlite and bought an enclosed Featherlite. I have a friend that borrowed the open trailer I had and commented how light weight and how much better it tracked behind the truck compared to the steel trailer he had. I will tell you that the open trailer was much tougher to load the Viper onto because the deck sits higher off the ground.

Black Pearl
11-26-2014, 12:08 PM
Try Heacock trailers in Glendale, CA. I have used their horse trailers for years.
http://heacocktrailers.com/alumcartrl.htm

1HOTV10
11-26-2014, 12:24 PM
I have a JIMGLO trailer. You can order it with a 6 inch drop axle. No problem loading a Viper.
http://www.jimglo.com/tilt-bed-trailers.html

Late Apex
11-26-2014, 01:38 PM
Featherlite is the only way to go, also buy the front air dam they make and install, it really works to protect the car, I also installed a 12K winch on the front nose to load and unload stuff by myself !! it is easy to move the empty trailer around by yourself with some pushing...my $.02 ( never sorry I bought one and a great warranty as well) Well said, and they are the best quality.

Toxic
11-26-2014, 02:54 PM
My ACRs have all been set to track ride height. I do have to use boards when loading onto my Sloan but I can't even pull out of my sloped driveway with taking an angle. Good trailer overall and the only thing I'd change has to do with custom work during the build. I really like the aluminum trailer Nineball owns but do not know the brand.

Joel
11-26-2014, 04:10 PM
I used a Featherlite for years and it towed great and was easy to load and they also hold their value very well. They are, like all aluminum trailers, pricey. I can only second what others have said about ramps - be sure you try to load it first. The Featherlite ramps have a turned up lip on the ramps that can hit a splitter unless you pick up the front of the trailer - but my race car is lower than a Viper.

viperdoc
11-29-2014, 11:09 PM
Thanks for all the great input. The jimglo appears to be a nice option. although, upon loading it looks like it could use a hydraulic damper to slow the drop? I assume the drop rate is not an issue when loading?
Question to 1HOTV10:The web site does not state whether it had electric or surge braking syst? do you use the trailer w the 6" drop axle for your viper? I have a lowered 09 ACR HC which needs a low load angle, how much front clearance do you get on a stock viper when loading?
Thx again for all the great info
.:t89039:

1HOTV10
11-30-2014, 06:25 AM
The Brakes are electric. Yes, I have the drop Axle. With a stock Viper the clearance is about two inches. With my ACR which is also lowered and the front splitter on it just makes the clearance.

pastohio
11-30-2014, 07:19 AM
Not to start shots fired across anyone's trailers....on my Featherlite it has a curb rail welded on each side so the car won't fall off if the car did any hopping do to loose straps or whatever as being towed, the Jimglo doesn't have these side curbs, I like the idea of not messing with ramps, but Featherlites are stored underneath on the rear, and several of my cars I put a 3 foot long 2X10 board on the ground to start the car's nose to pitch up the incline, my only regret is I have a 14 foot and would like to get a 16 foot, I also think I can say your will not find any better aluminum welding on any trailer compared with the featherlite's...my $.02

AZTVR
11-30-2014, 09:21 AM
.on my Featherlite it has a curb rail welded on each side so the car won't fall off if the car did any hopping do to loose straps or whatever as being towed, the Jimglo doesn't have these side curbs,

Sounds like a nice option if one wanted it. JIMGLO is a small operation. I believe basically made to order; so, it probably could be added when ordered.