PDA

View Full Version : C7Z06 first test

elanderholm
11-24-2014, 04:28 PM
Mods: move if you want
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1502_2015_chevrolet_corvette_z06_first_test/

Canadian venom
11-24-2014, 04:40 PM
Overheat problems after 4 laps..... something you won't see in a Viper :monkeyleft:

FLATOUT
11-24-2014, 04:43 PM
Yep and that extra 200lbs slowed that car down. Viper still trapping 2mph higher in the 1/4 NA. Z06 is a fantastic car but I still love how fast the Viper is for an NA platform.

ViperSmith
11-24-2014, 04:47 PM
Ouch on 4 laps.

And price as tested is the exact same as the TA

Shooter
11-24-2014, 04:52 PM
Slower to 60mph, slower through 1/4 mile, overheats after 4 laps. Wow. It did do better on the figure 8 track though, 1/2 quicker. That's the Sport Cup 2's right there.

elanderholm
11-24-2014, 05:00 PM
Slower to 60mph, slower through 1/4 mile, overheats after 4 laps. Wow. It did do better on the figure 8 track though, 1/2 quicker. That's the Sport Cup 2's right there.

yeah, those tires are serious business.

Solid Red 98
11-24-2014, 05:22 PM
Imagine a TA or TA 2.0 on Sport Cup 2s or Trofeo Rs........

Carbon GTS
11-24-2014, 06:30 PM
They can keep it...

swexlin
11-24-2014, 06:45 PM
Yep and that extra 200lbs slowed that car down. Viper still trapping 2mph higher in the 1/4 NA. Z06 is a fantastic car but I still love how fast the Viper is for an NA platform.

This. Our cars are a couple hundred pounds lighter. That being said, it is an impressive car, and I think Viper and Vette guys should realize that we can compete with the best the Europe has to offer. The oil overheat issue may be a pre-production car issue.

v10enomous
11-24-2014, 07:37 PM
This. Our cars are a couple hundred pounds lighter. That being said, it is an impressive car, and I think Viper and Vette guys should realize that we can compete with the best the Europe has to offer. The oil overheat issue may be a pre-production car issue.

Very well stated !

I'd love to have a Z06 but I really love having my Viper.

Snakebit10
11-25-2014, 07:38 AM
Their statement about needing a 1 million dollar car to approach the Z06's performance envelope is nonsense. The 458 Speciale, Mclaren 12C/650S, Porsche GT3 and the TA all approach and or beat the Z06's performance in 0-60, 1/4 et and mph etc. The g loading Ill give it since it has those monster tires on.

Great car overall and a bargain of the century candidate considering the performance and amenities. You have to give GM credit here and I wont pick on the oil issue as this is a pre-production vehicle and it was being flogged by a high calibur pro.

I was reading the comments below that article and its amazing how many are mentioning the Ferrari 458, GTR as the cars that can beat the Z06 but not one mention of the Viper even though its numbers are right there with the Z06 for the most part. However, it wouldn't be unreasonalbe to expect that the MPSC2's should give the Z06 the edge over the snake at Laguna etc. Can't wait for the first test between the TA and the Z06.

The_Greg
11-25-2014, 07:48 AM
Great car overall and a bargain of the century candidate considering the performance and amenities. You have to give GM credit here and I wont pick on the oil issue as this is a pre-production vehicle and it was being flogged by a high calibur pro.

As much as my automatic response is to be repulsed, you absolutely do have to give it to them. The car looks very exotic and not mundane, and this performance really is a good deal. The oil issue is one upgraded oil cooler away from being a non-issue. It might still suffer heat soak, but that won't keep you off the track.

EDIT: Having said that, I do think the article and related videos exhibit some serious nutswinging. Prime example is the "have to spend $1mil to beat it" as that's a pretty ignorantly blind statement. Even under $300k, I could probably list ten brand new cars that could compete down to it being a driver's race.

Steve M
11-25-2014, 11:50 AM
The oil overheat issue may be a pre-production car issue.

As far along as this car is, I'd hope they would have found that issue long before now.

ViperSmith
11-25-2014, 12:25 PM
I recall that thrashing (and rightfully so) the Viper got when a vent in the hood flew off the car during a rag test. I remember how it helped place the Viper last in the "10 best drivers car" behind a Ford Focus.

Could you imagine what the rags would say if a Viper they were testing had to run back to the pits because the engine overheated after just 4 laps?

It is a pathetic double standard.

Hell, the C&D "long term" C7 blew an engine already and still they lavish it with praise. Chevy could put a Corvette badge on a Corolla and MT would praise it.

Nine Ball
11-25-2014, 01:20 PM
LOL. I can't wait to happen across my first one in the wild. Hope they can drive :)

Chorps
11-25-2014, 02:44 PM
I recall that thrashing (and rightfully so) the Viper got when a vent in the hood flew off the car during a rag test. I remember how it helped place the Viper last in the "10 best drivers car" behind a Ford Focus.

Could you imagine what the rags would say if a Viper they were testing had to run back to the pits because the engine overheated after just 4 laps?

It is a pathetic double standard.

Hell, the C&D "long term" C7 blew an engine already and still they lavish it with praise. Chevy could put a Corvette badge on a Corolla and MT would praise it.

I think that Viper not only lost a vent cover (minor), but it also had mismatched worn tires, the pedal adjustment went all the way long *during* a test, and SRT did not respond to any of their inquiries on WTF was going on with that car. That was a low moment and I'm not surprised the magazine was scathing in the way SRT was playing 'duck and cover'.

Still, you can see how much better GM's marketing is than the Viper's team was. The whole wind tunnel quote with downforce is pretty absurd. You're telling me they *never* benchmarked the Gen IV ACR for downforce/drag, or GM knew the numbers the ACR was putting out were so incredible that putting it in GM's wind tunnel would be embarrassing to the C7 Z06?

Magazines are run by people. People are not very objective, they can be persuaded and they can be bought. They also can hate. Not saying that the mags are all one way or the other or that even the review in the OP was over the top, but when you do everything wrong to curry favour don't be surprised that you don't get a good review.

The TA's launch went a way better than the Gen V's launch, but the Gen V's MT test put the car really far back in the minds of the buying public.

MACH4444
11-25-2014, 05:13 PM
Keep your vette. There will be thousands of them driving around here. Ho hum. Yea nice car but not for me. Give me a Viper conv. And I will sign on the dotted line.

Shooter
11-25-2014, 07:32 PM
The whole wind tunnel quote with downforce is pretty absurd. You're telling me they *never* benchmarked the Gen IV ACR for downforce/drag, or GM knew the numbers the ACR was putting out were so incredible that putting it in GM's wind tunnel would be embarrassing to the C7 Z06?

Do you also notice that they picked a track that NO stock ACR or TA has set a lap record on?. I mean with all the hype of this car being faster then the ZR1 by a good amount, you think they would have let their boy Randy have at the Laguna track. Nope. I was hoping to see what it could do at Laguna, so the new (C'mon Dodge, build it) ACR could kick its ass.

ViperSmith
11-25-2014, 07:44 PM
I think that Viper not only lost a vent cover (minor), but it also had mismatched worn tires, the pedal adjustment went all the way long *during* a test, and SRT did not respond to any of their inquiries on WTF was going on with that car. That was a low moment and I'm not surprised the magazine was scathing in the way SRT was playing 'duck and cover'.

Still, you can see how much better GM's marketing is than the Viper's team was. The whole wind tunnel quote with downforce is pretty absurd. You're telling me they *never* benchmarked the Gen IV ACR for downforce/drag, or GM knew the numbers the ACR was putting out were so incredible that putting it in GM's wind tunnel would be embarrassing to the C7 Z06?

Magazines are run by people. People are not very objective, they can be persuaded and they can be bought. They also can hate. Not saying that the mags are all one way or the other or that even the review in the OP was over the top, but when you do everything wrong to curry favour don't be surprised that you don't get a good review.

The TA's launch went a way better than the Gen V's launch, but the Gen V's MT test put the car really far back in the minds of the buying public.

Forgot about the pedal thing

But my point still stands. The damned car breaks down and it is overlooked. "Can't beat it with anything under $1m"

bs

slitherv10
11-25-2014, 08:09 PM
With this test result one would wonder why all the other test results stated a 0=60 time of 2.95 and a 1/4 mile time of 10.95. Were those lies or? If they're not, do those times not beat the Viper?

Chorps
11-25-2014, 09:50 PM
Do you also notice that they picked a track that NO stock ACR or TA has set a lap record on?. I mean with all the hype of this car being faster then the ZR1 by a good amount, you think they would have let their boy Randy have at the Laguna track. Nope. I was hoping to see what it could do at Laguna, so the new (C'mon Dodge, build it) ACR could kick its ass.

Yeah I noticed that as well. I was half hoping/expecting that as they were approaching a turn on the track that a TA or ACR would blow by them. Oh well, one can only dream... :smileys-car-driving