PDA

View Full Version : Door Opener

arizonajack
11-16-2014, 02:41 PM
Is there a way to retro-fit one of these to an earlier year?

Fatboy 18
11-16-2014, 02:50 PM
Not sure, you know there electronic?

arizonajack
11-16-2014, 03:23 PM
Not sure, you know there electronic?

Didn't know that.

Have seen them in photos from a distance and wasn't sure what I was looking at until I saw one up close yesterday and figured out what it was.

Fatboy 18
11-16-2014, 03:51 PM
Have a look here at some of the parts involved

http://www.roeracing.com/OE-Parts/1998_Viper.pdf

Page I34 Group DSR Door related parts

You could probably get related parts from a Salvage car, but then you have the hassle of Wiring, relays etc. If the engine is running the door locks engage so the button on the outside of the door becomes inoperable.

Not saying it cant be done but it would be a lot of work!

arizonajack
11-16-2014, 04:31 PM
Not saying it cant be done but it would be a lot of work!

And probably a lot of money now that I've looked at the setup.

I'm trying to own a Viper on a budget. :drive:

(I love that little guy and his burnouts.)

But thanks for the link to the parts manual. I was able to download one that includes my 96.

Fatboy 18
11-16-2014, 05:06 PM
Yep, its all out there, its just knowing where to look :)

Vprbite
11-16-2014, 05:58 PM
I loved those little door poppers on my 02 GTS. I actually like em more than the system on the gen 3 to 5. Bonus of no fingerprints plus I just think they were way cool.

Could one just replace the doors with Gen II doors? As in, pull both doors of a salvage car?

arizonajack
11-16-2014, 06:53 PM
Could one just replace the doors with Gen II doors? As in, pull both doors of a salvage car?

Probably.

And get power windows at the same time.

I don't know.

Maybe I'd better start looking for a later Viper that has all that stuff. I'm already getting the hunger for an upgrade and I've only had my 96 for a month.

:drive:

Tom, F&L GoR
11-16-2014, 09:46 PM
No, I understood can't put Gen 2 doors on a Gen 1 because the left and right sides of the windshield are different to accommodate the glass window. However, Gen 1 has a nice option - door poppers mounted inside the door can be activated by the third (trunk) button. On the Remote Keyless Entry unit above the driver right knee, there is an unused post that provides 12V when the trunk button is pushed. Run a wire from it to a door popper, and you open the door from 8 feet away without touching it. I had this, was reliable for years - just make sure to add a ground wire and not rely on the hinge to provide the ground. The popper cost ~$25 and a little bit of labor.

Vprbite
11-17-2014, 12:55 AM
Wow, there ya go^^^^^

Nice solution and a cool custom touch.

Tom, F&L GoR
11-17-2014, 09:04 PM
I have a crummy image to show how straightforward it is. I removed the roll-up seatbelt box from the door and the bracket that came with the door popper mounts to it. The pull cable is pretty long and has a clamp to attach to the door lock. The rest is running the wires through the bellows rubber in the door over to the RKE box. It's one of those projects that's 7684a 1.5 hour job the first time and about 30 min the next time.

arizonajack
11-17-2014, 10:10 PM
On second thought, I think I'll just leave it as is.