PDA

View Full Version : Lime Rock AutoX Championship

SlateEd
11-11-2014, 04:51 PM
Hey Everyone - Just in case you're wondering what ever happened to that AutoX challenge we participated in back in July - the championship round is THIS SATURDAY November 15. It's going to be a cold one out there, but I think I'll take the drive. We have at least one participant - ACR Steve, and potentially Tim from New England as well (he's still top 20).

I've asked Lime Rock staff for a schedule for the day and will update this thread with that info ASAP.

ViperTony
11-11-2014, 06:51 PM
I believe it's 12pm - 4pm. Spectators are welcome and free. No registration needed. Ed will have more details.

SlateEd
11-12-2014, 11:29 AM
Tony - exactly right.. here's what I got back from LRP:

11:30 a.m.: Arrival
12:00 noon: Practice
2:30 p.m.: Timed runs on a debate-free electronic timing system, presented by Spectro Oils.
4:00 p.m.: We’ll wrap it all up in the Infield Chalet... cry about the hundredth that was missed, whine about the lack of tire temperature... all in the company of good beer and even better company

No need to register, just bring the crowd and you’re all set! No charge, either.

ACR Steve
11-13-2014, 08:25 AM
The Viper is going to love the cold track. It may just be a big drift session not sure we can make any heat in the tires
I may bring a secret weapon and try both cars to see which is better :)

SlateEd
11-13-2014, 01:22 PM
The Viper is going to love the cold track. It may just be a big drift session not sure we can make any heat in the tires

This will be fun to see! not sure which wheels I'll bring to spectate but will try to get the Viper cleaned up to represent properly!

anyone else thinking about it?

ViperTony
11-13-2014, 05:26 PM

I'd let you take my GenV out on Saturday to see what you can do with it but these Corsa's SUCK around 40ish and below. I'll be there for a couple of hours on Saturday too.

ACR Steve
11-14-2014, 12:55 PM
38 degrees - I think the "wagon" my be the car of choice for the event. Its not your moms wagon :) its as fast as the Viper and all wheel drive. Just wait till these guys in there track cars see a wagon compete against them.
Maybe I will put a Viper logo on it

City
11-14-2014, 02:05 PM
Twin Turbo Sports Utility Vehicle > "Wagon"

pony23
11-17-2014, 02:19 PM
How did Steve do???

ViperTony
11-17-2014, 03:40 PM
How did Steve do???

Steve kicked ass in his Mercedes Wagon coming in at .40 seconds shy of the winner. I think he was 18.5xx seconds on a course with freezing temperatures. It was insane. I can't begin to explain how insane that is, LOL. Ed has some pics of the event. I'm sure Steve will chime in with more detail. It was awesome.

SlateEd
11-17-2014, 03:41 PM
I didn't stick around for the final results. I heard some lap times for Steve that should have been top 5 at least. There was a Formula Ford with heating blankets for the tires that clearly took the win on the day. I'm pretty sure Steve's passenger had a great time though!

SlateEd
11-17-2014, 04:08 PM
Really was a fun afternoon, and inspiration for us to get some more members in the top 20 come year's end 2015! I'd be happy just to be in that bunch - there was some great car control on display in a variety of cars.

Here's a few more pics of AMGSteve finessing his way around the laws of physics:

ACR Steve
11-17-2014, 04:25 PM
76827682Decide to take my "wagon" since it was 30 dig that morning and the high was supposed to be 38. I didn't think the cars would hook up. Unfortunately I was wrong the cars after 2 laps were hooking up so it put me at a big disadvantage in an all-wheel drive 4,500 lb + wagon. All the other cars were race cars or Auto-x prepared cars. I was the only stock car and the only one not on Hoosiers or some type of auto-x tire. I think I might have been the only 4 door car as well .

My time weren't bad I was a 1.4 seconds of the Formula Ford with a Honda motor and auto-x gears that won the event .Unfortunately in auto-x 1.5 seconds is a big difference.

I had great time and even learned about fooling the computer so it doesn’t trigger the crash/rollover mode ( Full ABS Brake pedal and automatic closing of the windows to a 2 inch gap, very strange feeling as it was happening ) The wagon is an animal that can out run a lot of exotic cars on and off the track so I couldn't have expected it to do anything more on its street tires.(3500 miles on the car and the tires are almost shot now) :)

Yes with the Viper I feel I would have had a big chance at beating the FF. Next year I will be taking the Viper for sure :)

ACR Steve
11-17-2014, 04:31 PM
Thanks Ed for those pics- I think my co-pilot really liked you and Tony until I told her you guys were married :)

Big thanks to Ed, his dad and Tony for there support and braving the cold weather

pony23
11-17-2014, 07:39 PM
Looked like a good time guys. That FF is a tough contender. Nice job in the wagon, lol.

ViperTony
11-24-2014, 12:13 PM
Here's a pic of Steve and his passenger in the wagon ;)

pony23
11-24-2014, 01:32 PM
She looks hot!!! He is a lucky guy. Lol

ACR Steve
11-24-2014, 01:58 PM
shes the best :)

Our baby was with us . Here is a pic 7786of the sweetie :)

Nothing like taking the whole family on track in the wagon