PDA

View Full Version : Brutal Video Viper/Corvette

Late Apex
11-09-2014, 09:14 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWPrZn-mMEs

1ststrike
11-09-2014, 11:50 AM
That's one heck of a hit. It buckled the roof on the comp coupe.

Fatboy 18
11-09-2014, 11:55 AM
OUCH! Even I felt that!

Torquemonster06
11-09-2014, 02:03 PM
Damn, Im glad no serious injuries happened. That could have been very bad.

slysnake
11-09-2014, 02:12 PM
Tough track situation. Glad no one was seriously hurt.

Granger73
11-09-2014, 04:12 PM
Why would anyone race in that kind of weather?

Heysie
11-10-2014, 11:10 AM
It's not always sunny in the Netherlands.:t15197:

And racing in this kind of weather is very normal in Europe.

TitleMine
11-10-2014, 06:34 PM
Amazing how kick-ass the engineering is in the cages, and in modern race cars in general, that they could probably both get out, have dinner with their wives, and call it a day, not much the worse for wear, after having smacked into a stationary object at 80+MPH.

Shooter
11-10-2014, 06:42 PM
Why would anyone race in that kind of weather?

I think it shows the real drivers when it gets nasty like that.

plumcrazy
11-10-2014, 06:48 PM
I think it shows the real drivers when it gets nasty like that.

i guess youre right but its like playing golf in the rain, id just NEVER dream of doing it

VYPR BYT
11-11-2014, 08:08 AM
i guess youre right but its like playing golf in the rain, id just NEVER dream of doing it

I'd never dream of playing golf in public... have you seen my swing?

Arizona Vipers
05-21-2016, 10:09 PM
That video brings up this question for me, if you have gone off track, would it be better to put the car in neutral and have foot of the brake so if you did get his like this there would at least be *some* car movement which would help absorb the energy? His car did not move an inch after being hit!

MomentaryRacing
05-31-2016, 06:45 PM
Viper driver did a great job making a controlled recovery - too bad it ended the way it did - but that's racing. Aquaplaning/slides under braking is probably the most difficult loos of traction scenario to recover from - the balance is all forward and things happen very quickly.

In theory, yes, you'd want to be able to have some of the energy of a hit go into moving the car - but with that kind of hit whether you have brakes applied would not make any difference. I would guess that the main reason the car did not budge, is that run-offs at properly built racetracks do very good job of "catching and holding" the car (unlike what you'd see at many tracks in US, where packed gravel or grass are not uncommon in run-off areas, unfortunately)

daveg
05-31-2016, 06:52 PM
Wrong place at the wrong time.

catwood
06-02-2016, 12:29 PM
That video brings up this question for me, if you have gone off track, would it be better to put the car in neutral and have foot of the brake so if you did get his like this there would at least be *some* car movement which would help absorb the energy? His car did not move an inch after being hit!

personally I don't think so. Having the energy go into the structure of the car rather than an acceleration event on my body would be better. But that's my under educated opinion.

Mbccenter
06-03-2016, 08:56 AM
Looks like the cage stayed where it belonged in the drivers compartment. The roof buckled from being shoved in the rear. The body parts on a comp coupe are really thin and light. Just there for looks.

Coloviper
06-03-2016, 09:19 AM
That is one very classy and understanding Viper driver. I would have been pissed but in the end, it is the risks of racing. Clearly the Vette driver was upset with himself but to get an understanding pat on the arm from the Viper driver is what real sportsmanship is all about.