PDA

View Full Version : sticking door

big-n-italian
10-11-2013, 09:21 AM
my passenger door on my 97 is starting to stick. is there an easy way to adjust the door or this something best left to a viper tech?

Mopar Boy
10-11-2013, 09:27 AM
Sticking shut as in solenoid not releasing every time? Or sticking to the seal? Or sitting on the latch requiring extra shoulder effort to knock it open?

If solenoid, likely the door wiring harness.

If the seal, gets some seal lube.

If the hinges are starting to sag, determine if the hinge is done via opening door and gently lifting end of door and letting it back down. Do you feel slop like a worn hinge has play to wiggle? If not that bad just requires some re alignment.

big-n-italian
10-11-2013, 09:34 AM
sticking as in door rubbing on seal. i know it needs to be taken care of right away because that seal is EXPENSIVE.

daytonprowler
10-11-2013, 10:44 AM
Door seals, really? Who needs door seals?

You two probably have windows that even move up and down. :rolleyes:

Mopar Boy
10-11-2013, 12:23 PM
sticking as in door rubbing on seal. i know it needs to be taken care of right away because that seal is EXPENSIVE.

And is the hinge pin responsible? ;)

01sapphirebob
10-11-2013, 03:07 PM
Probably the hinge IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

You two probably have windows that even move up and down. :rolleyes:

Whats wrong with roll up windows? Just because we have them doesn't mean we use them all the time.

Leslie
10-13-2013, 05:32 AM
Drive your Viper more.

Janni
10-16-2013, 07:57 PM
You can make the adjustments - it's fussy - but you can do it. I think it's an art - but if you are careful - you're probably better than someone trying to do it - because likely they haven't done it either.

Leslie
10-22-2013, 12:39 PM
yeh, I agree totally.

I find my hood to be the same way.

MoparBoyy
10-23-2013, 10:46 AM
I just ignore it and when people comment i say "its a nice car.. but still a Dodge"

99RT10
10-24-2013, 09:43 PM
"its a nice car.. but still a Dodge"

:D :D :D

Check your PMs at the Alley MB!

SNKEBIT
10-24-2013, 10:24 PM

Mines not a Dodge anymore......................... It has been totally SNKEBIT modificated.:cool:

RTTTTed
10-25-2013, 12:50 AM
Use a pencil and draw a line about 1/8" away from the hinge. Loosen the bolts and move the hinge until it lines up but is slightly top tilted forward (to lift the rear) or the entire hinge slightly forward (Same height at back but slightly forward).

The passenger doors on the GTSs seem to do this often as both my GTSs are like this. My passenger windows would also 'pop open' about 185mph before I adjusted my doors forward.

Troublemaker
10-25-2013, 05:20 PM
I was told to rock it on one of the bolts, but not to loosen all the bolts, all but the one you want it to rock or pivot on. Maybe I was told incorrectly. I need to do this to mine, but it will wait for Winter.

Tom Sessions
10-25-2013, 06:07 PM
If the door lines up correctly. Then look at the door panel and see if its rubbing on the weatherstrip. If you feel good about it remove the door panel first and see how the door closes. If it's good you can work the door panel up and forward to keep it from hitting.

dodgefever
10-25-2013, 06:41 PM
I had the same issue on my drivers door on my '99. After a lot of attempts at adjusting the hinge, I discovered there was a door trim screw on the bottom of the door panel that was catching on the seal area. This was preventing the door from closing without slamming it and also making it hard to open. A simple tightening of that screw and checking the others and no more issues.

slitherv10
10-27-2013, 10:43 AM
Many right ups about the procedure to adjust the door. Maybe someone who has pictures or step by step approach can chime in and help out. I know one of my doors rubbed slightly on the seal and I found the door panel got loose and I just snapped it back into position and no more rubbing. But, on my other car it seems that the hinge needs to be loosened and adjusted until you find the perfect fit once again. they do get loose and thus cause a slight lag and rub.
I think it was something abut using a floor jack to support the door and loosening certain bolts and certain ones you don't as you adjust the hinge and so on...sorry don't remember the procedure. I'll be keeping my eyes open on this thread and hopefully get the answers as well.

stryfe
10-27-2013, 12:21 PM
Many right ups about the procedure to adjust the door. Maybe someone who has pictures or step by step approach can chime in and help out. I know one of my doors rubbed slightly on the seal and I found the door panel got loose and I just snapped it back into position and no more rubbing. But, on my other car it seems that the hinge needs to be loosened and adjusted until you find the perfect fit once again. they do get loose and thus cause a slight lag and rub.
I think it was something abut using a floor jack to support the door and loosening certain bolts and certain ones you don't as you adjust the hinge and so on...sorry don't remember the procedure. I'll be keeping my eyes open on this thread and hopefully get the answers as well.

this is basically what i had to do to adjust mine. it took me a bit to figure out the best way to adjust it. i should have fixed the detente at the same time.

crackleking
10-28-2013, 12:20 AM
my passenger door on my 97 is starting to stick. is there an easy way to adjust the door or this something best left to a viper tech?

I have a 98 rt/10 and my passenger door sticks also. Only has 5,700 miles. It is an alignment, but I will leave it alone. Just have to use a little more pressure to close the door. Dodge wanted 200 - 300 to fix it, and since that door is not really used that much, I decided to leave it alone.

slitherv10
10-28-2013, 09:23 PM
I have a 98 rt/10 and my passenger door sticks also. Only has 5,700 miles. It is an alignment, but I will leave it alone. Just have to use a little more pressure to close the door. Dodge wanted 200 - 300 to fix it, and since that door is not really used that much, I decided to leave it alone.

That's another way to do it as well.......Just leave it as it is....:t1236:

viperdude118
11-28-2013, 11:04 PM
If you are adjusting the hinge, don't waste your time with jackstands or marking anything, you don't need to do either. Take a bath towel and fold it once, and lay it over the sill and sill plate and close the door over it. You'll have to give the door a bit more force to close it over the towel, but it is acting like a shim. With the towel in place, loosen and then tighten all the hinge bolts, but don't take any of them out. The door will adjust, it might take a couple of tries with different layers of towel to get the right height, but this does work, i've adjusted both sides of mine a couple of times now.