PDA

View Full Version : What to do for the Greater Good?

Fatboy 18
10-28-2014, 08:48 AM
Background info:

So turned up at a Supercar meet in the UK, If I'm honest Some supercars there but also a lot of not so Super 5 series blinged up BMWs, Performance cars yes, but I would not call them Super?

We were due to go on a cruise to a Car dealership where refreshments had been laid on for us. Now this event had been advertised on the internet so naturally a few other car owners wanted to get in on the action.

A young guy in a BMW pulls out in front of me in the car park and proceeds to make his way out of the car park exit. He floors the car sending it into a sideways drift then the car continues forward straight through a Church hall Boundary wall!

He then reverses the car nearly knocking two Cyclists off their bikes. Meanwhile I was sitting at the entrance to the car park with two cameras on my car filming the whole thing!

I then continued to the dealership while trying (unsuccessfully) to follow what was left of the caravan to the dealership!

There was also some pretty poor driving by an Audi A3 Driver, making a dangerous overtake causing a car coming towards him to hit the brakes hard and lock up his wheels to avoid a head on collision.

So here's the moral dilemma,
I have all this on film. Do I just ignore it or should I be presenting this to the local Law enforcement agency?

I've seen the youtube stuff of people getting it wrong at Cars and Coffee meets. I'm sure we have all had our own little moments, but this one is bothering me.

Being as my car is so well known, if any footage was used in a court of law, I may not be welcome at future events, it would not be hard to trace the origin.

What would you do? Just put it down to a bad day an not attend this event again, or take it further?

XSnake
10-28-2014, 08:52 AM
If they did property damage I'd report it.

Fatboy 18
10-28-2014, 09:00 AM
There were plenty of members of the Public around so I don't think the Driver or the car would have been going anywhere.

City
10-28-2014, 09:14 AM
If there was any damaged caused and you can determine that the perp is not known or not being held accountable, then I'd turn over the video. You might consider sending a copy to the perp/jackass informing him that you've also turned the video over to the police ... without actually doing the latter. That should put a crimp in his future driving style. And probably keep him up at night. :D

Fatboy 18
10-28-2014, 09:18 AM
Mmmmm, thing is I don't know him or his location?

IndyRon
10-28-2014, 09:21 AM
Honestly, I'm not sure why you would report it. Yeah, laws were broken and risks were taken, but no one was hurt. I'd probably drop the video off to the owner of the building that was damaged to be sure he can get the proper person charged with the repair expenses. Regarding the speeding/driving, surely you haven't exceeded the speed limit in your ORECA themed modified Viper and then reported yourself to the authorities? That's just me.

BlknBlu
10-28-2014, 09:24 AM
If ANY damage was done outside the owner and his car then yes report it. An usually the car show circuit of folks know of each other or have someone who knows people. If there was an organizer talk to them.

Bruce

ViperTony
10-28-2014, 09:25 AM
If they did property damage I'd report it.

This.

Fatboy 18
10-28-2014, 09:27 AM
Honestly, I'm not sure why you would report it. Yeah, laws were broken and risks were taken, but no one was hurt. I'd probably drop the video off to the owner of the building that was damaged to be sure he can get the proper person charged with the repair expenses. Regarding the speeding/driving, surely you haven't exceeded the speed limit in your ORECA themed modified Viper and then reported yourself to the authorities? That's just me.
Liking this idea :) Thanks for the input.

Haha, I will openly admit I have had my own little 'woops' moments in my driving history! :drive:

LifeIsGood
10-28-2014, 09:31 AM

This reply scares me a little...'no one was hurt'. Is that the defining factor in determining everything nowadays? I hope not.

Mark...post a video of the entire day on youtube...including this guys exploits. Anonymously let the church know where to find it. Then it doesn't look like you're ratting him out.

BlknBlu
10-28-2014, 09:35 AM
If you do not want to get involved, you should not have posted this.

Bruce

FLATOUT
10-28-2014, 09:36 AM
Report it.

Fatboy 18
10-28-2014, 09:45 AM
This reply scares me a little...'no one was hurt'. Is that the defining factor in determining everything nowadays? I hope not.

Mark...post a video of the entire day on youtube...including this guys exploits. Anonymously let the church know where to find it. Then it doesn't look like you're ratting him out.
There maybe something in this, Channel 4 TV were filming on the day, they are making a documentary program about Supercars and Dealerships.
THEY took a copy of everything that was on the Go Pro to edit down into their program. It just so happens they have that footage also! The TV company has my contact details but no one has contacted me yet. ;)

ViperTony
10-28-2014, 11:59 AM
Why are you concerned about reporting it?

eucharistos
10-28-2014, 12:04 PM
give the church the car's info and tell them there is vid if they need it

Fatboy 18
10-28-2014, 12:32 PM
Why are you concerned about reporting it?

Because the next time I'm at a car meet someone? him his mates? may walk up to me and it might get physical. It would take things to a different level and its hassle I could do without.
I don't know the guy, but if he does approach me you can guarantee i will be letting him know my thoughts on his driving!

The guy made a massive mistake. Im sure his pride is dented, I know mine would be, but luckily No one Got hurt. Reporting something like this would get very very expensive for the Guy involved.
No1 He has got to pay to have the wall re-built
No2 His car must be a right mess and that will cost.
No3 if the Police get hold of the tape they will probably do him for Reckless driving which will involve a large fine, points on his driving licence, and his insurance premiums will go through the roof!

So with all that in mind, this is the reason I'm in two minds.

NOTE: If someone had been injured as a result of this I would not even be posting here, the evidence would be going straight to the Police.

ViperTony
10-28-2014, 12:58 PM
It seems like the greater good you speak of in this scenario is you. I get it.

Granger73
10-28-2014, 01:51 PM
Do the Fox News thing. You report, let the cops decide. Send the video to the authorities. At the very least send it to the church.

Vprbite
10-28-2014, 01:57 PM
Of it gets physical dont worry. You have you your gun on you. Oh wait. Hmmm.

I hear ya. There is a line of "being a rat" that in some circles is taken pretty damn seriously. Blowback could come from not just the person involved but anyone else who now thinks you are looking to turn people in.

You sad the news was there filming everything, right? My guess is any reporting of him that is gonna be done is already done. Do you have a VERY CLEAR shot of his plate and more importantly OF HIM GETTING INTO THE VEHICLE? If not, nothing will stick anyway. If you do, then you have something that does matter. The news loves stuff like this though. If it bleeds, it leads, is the saying in news. I guess this one didnt bleed enough or they would have been all over it. "Super car meet up takes dangerous turn"..."supercars doesn't make them superheroes." Etc, etc.

Might be best just to let it to unless asked for it or delete it now so you aren't harboring any evidence

Chorps
10-28-2014, 02:30 PM
I think there's a difference between enthusiastic and reckless. The BMW driver sounded reckless, the Audi drive over enthusiastic.

As a minimum you should forward the video to the organizers. They can submit it to the authorities if they want, so they can talk to and/or ban one or both of those guys from future events. It's not just about the 'greater good' but the event itself. Did you want to be labelled along with that BMW driver as being someone who is out of control?

Car communities, like any other, are self-policing to a degree. When the community refuses to police itself then the real authorities, with real consequences, steps in.

Fatboy 18
10-28-2014, 03:14 PM
I think there's a difference between enthusiastic and reckless. The BMW driver sounded reckless, the Audi drive over enthusiastic.

As a minimum you should forward the video to the organizers. They can submit it to the authorities if they want, so they can talk to and/or ban one or both of those guys from future events. It's not just about the 'greater good' but the event itself. Did you want to be labelled along with that BMW driver as being someone who is out of control?

Car communities, like any other, are self-policing to a degree. When the community refuses to police itself then the real authorities, with real consequences, steps in.

Good Post, thanks.

IndyRon
10-28-2014, 03:19 PM

I agree with you in that the fact that there was no injury doesn't make it right. To be honest though, we own Vipers and drive them like Vipers, not like Prius's (at least I do from time to time). Everyone is entitled to a little tire smoke now and then.

I personally get more ticked off when a soccer mom texting while driving is swerving all over the road or an idiot doesn't use their turn signals or insists on holding up traffic while driving in the fast lane during rush hour. I guess the underlying question is...where do you draw the line? Should I call in everyone I see doing more than 10 over the speed limit, 20 over? At what point is the crime heinous enough to warrant reporting to the authorities? I've seen some crazy stuff done in vehicles and maybe my tolerance is more than those who haven't.

Fatboy 18
10-29-2014, 05:20 AM
https://www.facebook.com/Supercarsofessex?ref=stream&fref=nf

Some pics of the event here, I don't do Facebook, as far as im aware there is no mention of the incident.