PDA

View Full Version : High voltage altenator problem?

1994viper
10-27-2014, 09:57 PM
Hello all, i recently posted about my cars guages acting up where all my guages on the right would go out and display a zero reading on and off and my spedo and tach would not work. Also now i have a check engine sign and the motor is missing and not running right. So i took it to a local shop. They told me that my altenator is putting out too much voltage "16 volts". Shorted my battery as a consiquense, and this is why my guages are all acting up...

My question is that how that is posible? Is there not a safety mechanism to prevent the altenator to pump high voltage? Is it posible there is more demage done? Like to the pcm?

Thank you people

Wiretech
10-27-2014, 10:06 PM
The alternator has a regulator which prevents high voltage and overcharging your battery, it may have gone bad and may cause other problems.

98intrigue
10-27-2014, 10:30 PM
I'm still trying to diagnose my problem. I've blown my ASD fuse 3 times now. Replacing the fuse does not resolve the problem. From research, the problem is/are the rear O2 sensor wiring. I've checked the wiring, but do not see anything out of th obvious.

1994viper
10-28-2014, 02:00 AM
Thank you guys, ill keep u posted

Viper Specialty
10-28-2014, 04:13 PM
Alternator charging voltage is controlled by the PCM, its highly unlikely the alternator is at fault.

RPM9000
10-28-2014, 08:36 PM
My alternator on my Gen IV ACR quit charging. It ended up being my Venum PCM went bad. The car ran fine it just quit charging and turning on the CEL. PCM was only a couple of months old. That is the kind of luck I have.