PDA

View Full Version : What have you been told about your Viper?

Vprbite
10-23-2014, 08:44 AM
What have you...ahem...learned about your Viper at car shows, gas stations, street lights, etc by non-owners? I assume we get a lot of the same ones but here are my favorites and the three that really stick out to me. 2 are common, one is a fact straight out of outer space. I say fact because to those telling me, they are damn certain.

1. IT'S THE EXACT SAME MOTOR OUT OF THE 94 TRUCK. Oh is it? Well shit, I better get rid of my ram pickup and tow with my GTS instead. If someone told me it had the same bore and stroke, I would be impressed. But that never happened with my Gen II. I was just told over and over that it is a truck motor just stuck in the car.

2. IS THIS ONE A V-10 OR A V-12? Well, being the outright liar or full blown idiot that I am (depends on what they think of me as I answer) I tell them that all Vipers all aluminum V-10s. It is at that point I am informed that they have a V-12 option, I must not know about it because these people sure do. It is again at this point my pathological lying comes into play as I say that they have always been aluminum V-10s but that displacement and power has increased over the years, but still they are aluminum V-10s. People stick to their guns pretty hard on this one, so I find it no worth the effort.

3. IS THIS SOME KIND OF CORVETTE? (It was a Gen II, 2002 GTS) Me: No, this is a Dodge Viper. THEM: YEAH BUT VIPER IS MADE BY CORVETTE. CORVETTE OWNS THE BRAND. It was at this point where I think I had an aneurism or a stroke or something like that because all I could see was white hot rage and then I passed out.

I am thankful for these good Samaritans, for without them I would know so little about the car that I have lusted after from 92 to 2009 and owned some variation of since then.

Please share what these "shade tree lunkheads" have enlightened you with over your time of ownership.

P.S. I of course find most non-owners to be very nice people who ask legitimate questions about the vehicle or express their appreciation for it/other great automobiles so the good interactions outweigh the bad by about 99 to 1. It's just the people that are so certain they know these things about these cars and I am nothing but a clueless rich guy (neither of those accurately describes me at all) who has no idea about his V-12, Truck-Motored but rebadged Corvette.

BlknBlu
10-23-2014, 09:03 AM
Wow it goes 220 MPH, dang that is fast.

Bruce

Shooter
10-23-2014, 09:30 AM
I was told that they are ordered as "kit cars" that the dealer then builds to your specification... really. Blew me away. :)

venomous08
10-23-2014, 10:23 AM
I have been asked if my 08 ACR was a real ACR before at the gas station.....

My reply was it has the wing, splitter, canards, and paint like one so I think it is one.

Venom
10-23-2014, 10:46 AM
I was told that the wing on my car was from a HONDA !!!!!!

v10enomous
10-23-2014, 11:00 AM

Wow that guy was confused. It's off a Supra... haha

Fatboy 18
10-23-2014, 11:47 AM
Truck Engine! Check.

Wow look at that Corvette! (BEFORE THE STICKERS WERE ON THE CAR) :(

Didn't know GM Made these! :mad::mad:

v10enomous
10-23-2014, 12:30 PM
I guess we all get a lot of the same stuff. It's one of the entertaining aspects of Viper ownership. What's really funny is when people say stuff to other people that they know you can hear trying to bait you into a discussion or debate.

01sapphirebob
10-23-2014, 12:36 PM
I once had someone try to tell me (BTW this person claimed to work for a supplier on the Viper program) that the Vipers came with a V8. I told him that there never was aviper that was sold to the public that had a V8 in it but this person swore up and down that he was right. There was nothing that I could say to change this persons mind It was the weirdest thing.

chesapeake07
10-23-2014, 12:40 PM
It truly amazes me but most of the public I talk to about the cars are convinced they are V12 motors.

Fatboy 18
10-23-2014, 12:50 PM
I once had someone try to tell me (BTW this person claimed to work for a supplier on the Viper program) that the Vipers came with a V8. I told him that there never was aviper that was sold to the public that had a V8 in it but this person swore up and down that he was right. There was nothing that I could say to change this persons mind It was the weirdest thing.

That might have something to do with this! Thereis a brief mention of a V8 on the 1989 concept car.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGDdBFbikUQ#t=444

VoodooRob
10-23-2014, 12:50 PM
I had the same with someone asking if it had the "optional" V12 engine. Have no idea where people get that from? I told him all Vipers produced come with V10 only and he said he knew that the V12 was an option.

BlknBlu
10-23-2014, 12:51 PM
Do they still make Vipers?

Bruce

Fatboy 18
10-23-2014, 01:17 PM
Oh and this one........"They don't handle well"

Muppets in Europe still consider American cars as big Tanks that go fast in a straight line are Rubbish at cornering.

I then remind them about Le mans wins and Ring Records. Which they never knew!

mitchdob
10-23-2014, 01:21 PM
Them: "How many miles did you drive the car last year?"
Me: "Yea, only drove it about 200 miles."
Them: "But why, with that car you can drive that far in an hour."

True story....

BlknBlu
10-23-2014, 01:23 PM
Why do they sound like garbage trucks?

Bruce

Sybil TF
10-23-2014, 01:38 PM
I was told that women shouldn't be allowed to drive one..:lol2: Cause of that little issue we have with applying makeup and texting while driving. I don't get it:D

slowhatch
10-23-2014, 04:16 PM
The ol' its a truck v10 line is the single dumbest and oldest wives tale about the viper. They had nothing to do with one another in any way, shape, or form. Considering the Viper V10 came out first...

BlknBlu
10-23-2014, 04:29 PM
The ol' its a truck v10 line is the single dumbest and oldest wives tale about the viper. They had nothing to do with one another in any way, shape, or form. Considering the Viper V10 came out first...

Not true, a truck engine was sent to Lambo(CHrysler owned) and reworked.

Bruce

Fatboy 18
10-23-2014, 04:34 PM
Not true, a truck engine was sent to Lambo(CHrysler owned) and reworked.

Bruce
Its all here :)

Vprbite
10-23-2014, 06:50 PM
Stroke and Bore were the same as I recall.

Fatboy...the don't handle well thing is funny. I have been told so many times "that car is not known for its handling." So how did it set the record on the Ring? Can you get it out of control? Of course, but it's not due to poor handling.

VooDoo Rob, I heard the V-12 Option again just the other day in fact. I was getting gas and someone in an obvious work truck (paint spills, toolbox, all that kind of stuff. Clearly not a weekend toy type of truck. But that doesn't translate to knowing anything about cars apparently) asked if I had the V-12 Option. He said unequivocally Yes they do offer a V-12 but you have to order it. I said that no, all Vipers are the same V-10 and was promptly corrected. It is apparantly a dealer option that must be ordered. I am wondering if maybe the V-12 people read some article about Lamborghinis association with Viper at the time and didnt the Countache have a V-12? That is my best guess and I am giving people a huge benefit of the doubt in assuming they misread some article about the birth of the Viper and the association with lamborghini at the time and got confused. What's amazing is how incredibly adamant they are about what they know and I do not.

Like I said, most people will ask things like "were they always V-10s?" And things like that are absolutely fair questions. I was asking a young man about his new Boss 302 mustang the other day and though I know a bit about them, I didn't tell him about the car like I was an all knowing God of cars and he was an idiot. I asked if the exhaust was stock, how the 2 keys work. Car guy type questions. I guess we should take it as a compliment that people are so viscerally effected by our vehicles it causes them to know things we don't.

I wouldn't trade it for anything though. I keep matchbox Vipers and some 1:48 "pull-back action" Vipers in the car to give to kids who love the car and want to take pictures with it or sometimes adults (the adults usually happen to be pretty girls . And hey, if those cars happen to have my phone number on them then that's just a strange coincidence. : )

I wanted to see if any of you had gotten some absolute Planet Mars comments like the one I got about it beng owned by Corvette. Shooter's "Kit Car" comment is pretty nuts. Wild you trust the dealer to assemble one?

Vprbite
10-23-2014, 06:54 PM
I was told that women shouldn't be allowed to drive one..:lol2: Cause of that little issue we have with applying makeup and texting while driving. I don't get it:D

He is lucky you didn't show him you could shove your foot up his ass while driving too! Wow, that's really pretty incredible. I bet you handled it with grace but I don't think it would have been rude knock him around a bit

Vprbite
10-23-2014, 06:58 PM

That's ridiculous. Everyone knows it's the same spoiler off of the Acura NSX with the V-12 package. I am surprised you didn't know that.

Vprbite
10-23-2014, 07:00 PM

I am pretty sure it had the same stroke and bore in it's original form but the similarities end there. Besides, one of them is made of IRON and weighs as much as an entire Viper.

Vprbite
10-23-2014, 07:02 PM
Them: "How many miles did you drive the car last year?"
Me: "Yea, only drove it about 200 miles."
Them: "But why, with that car you can drive that far in an hour."

True story....

To be fair, that is technically true. I mean, it could be a smidge dangerous on a public road to be dong 300ft/second, but ya know, it is do-able.

Vprbite
10-23-2014, 07:04 PM
I have been asked if my 08 ACR was a real ACR before at the gas station.....

My reply was it has the wing, splitter, canards, and paint like one so I think it is one.

How many ACR Clones have they seen? That's a pretty expensive retrofit. Even being in the Viper community I have only seen a few. And I mean like 3.

VYPR BYT
10-23-2014, 07:19 PM
I was told this... :rolleyes:

"You have good taste.
You got the one with the stick shift... That's what I would have done."

Helo Steve
10-23-2014, 08:51 PM
I've been told about the V12 option as well.

Best one was "I know that you can't go full throttle in those or else you spin!" They were serious….

Vprbite
10-23-2014, 09:09 PM
I've been told about the V12 option as well.

Best one was "I know that you can't go full throttle in those or else you spin!" They were serious….

You don't have the safety block installed behind the gas pedal so that you can only push it to 50%? Maybe it's just on the V-12 cars.

Vprbite
10-23-2014, 09:11 PM
I was told this... :rolleyes:

Did you tell him the waiting list in the automatics was ridiculous? I have heard some people have been on the waiting list for an automatic since 1992.

Helo Steve
10-23-2014, 09:27 PM
You don't have the safety block installed behind the gas pedal so that you can only push it to 50%? Maybe it's just on the V-12 cars.

Nope, I live life on the edge! :)

I've heard so many, but that one made me laugh.

Sybil TF
10-23-2014, 09:51 PM
He is lucky you didn't show him you could shove your foot up his ass while driving too! Wow, that's really pretty incredible. I bet you handled it with grace but I don't think it would have been rude knock him around a bitHe had a pos shit corvette, did I mention I am married to him?:lol2:

He hates women drivers...

supersnake
10-23-2014, 10:33 PM
My Dealer told me before I bought it that my Gen V had 600 HP and you have to chip it to get 640 HP.

Vprbite
10-23-2014, 11:57 PM
My Dealer told me before I bought it that my Gen V had 600 HP and you have to chip it to get 640 HP.

You should have refused to leave the dealer until he installed the chip. What an antiquated notion too of the "chip". He didnt even say you need an SCT or anything relevant to this day and age. That's funny.

Fatboy 18
11-03-2014, 03:44 PM
So I was at Goodwood this past weekend, some old bloke walks around the car then mutters comments towards me, so is this car practical for our roads :lol2: What a pillock! :mad:

Well I tell him yes, you can make tea and put sandwiches on the rear wing as it also serves as a good table :D

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5612/15506735417_66a3e3d8a4_b.jpg

PatrickB
11-03-2014, 03:50 PM
I've been asked about the V8 and V12 options a few times.. :D

Fatboy 18
11-03-2014, 04:15 PM
Yep forgot the V12 one, Guy with a V8 Vauxhall Murano (V8 Holden), walking around the car telling his girlfriend all about the V12 :lol2:

Red Snake
11-03-2014, 04:29 PM
The neighborhood "Car Guy" asked me if my Gen II GTS was "the new Sebring".

Yes, he was serious.

v10enomous
11-03-2014, 04:47 PM
One of my friends still thinks my GTS is a Stealth... He loves my GenV but has always disliked my GTS. Then again he thinks that my other buddy's base model 2010 C6 Vette is totally awesome.

Yes, he was serious.

Sybil TF
11-05-2014, 02:09 PM

Yes, he was serious.Are you sure? Maybe he was playing you...:D

Viper Girl
11-05-2014, 02:53 PM
How COOL he lets you drive it! :t0122::slap::lol2:

Helo Steve
11-05-2014, 04:18 PM
Another good one:
Stranger: "Bro, are you crazy buying that car? There's so much maintenance needed and it's really hard to work on!"
Me: "Not sure where you heard that, it's not bad at all."
Stranger: "Wow, what kind of car is that anyway?"

I kid you not.... I don't like being rude so I just said its a Viper and went on my way...

Vprbite
11-05-2014, 04:26 PM

Yes, he was serious.

That hurt just to read. How did you contain yourself?

- - - Updated - - -

How COOL he lets you drive it! :t0122::slap::lol2:

I am not advocating violence but that is grounds for a slap across the face at least.

Vprbite
11-05-2014, 04:28 PM
Yep forgot the V12 one, Guy with a V8 Vauxhall Murano (V8 Holden), walking around the car telling his girlfriend all about the V12 :lol2:

Amazing how many of us got screwed out of those 2 cylinders.

Roddy
11-05-2014, 05:39 PM
Its all here :)

Wow is that guy ever rigid. Typical engineer ;)

C.J
11-05-2014, 05:44 PM
Another good one:
Stranger: "Bro, are you crazy buying that car? There's so much maintenance needed and it's really hard to work on!"
Me: "Not sure where you heard that, it's not bad at all."
Stranger: "Wow, what kind of car is that anyway?"

Crazy funny! Can tell you about what's bad without even knowing what it is. Must be a new type of super-intelligence... :witless:

Wow is that guy ever rigid. Typical engineer ;)

That guy is THE MAN!

Helo Steve
11-05-2014, 06:33 PM
Crazy funny! Can tell you about what's bad without even knowing what it is. Must be a new type of super-intelligence... :witless:!

Beats me! I was going to ask, but thought better of it!

JonB ~ PartsRack
11-05-2014, 06:57 PM
"They are not making Vipers any more."

"They are so unsafe that Chrysler decided to crush the remaining Vipers rather than sell them."

Vprbite
11-06-2014, 01:26 PM
"They are not making Vipers any more."

"They are so unsafe that Chrysler decided to crush the remaining Vipers rather than sell them."

An edict like that would drive the price through the roof!

GhostStalker27
11-06-2014, 08:13 PM
"wheres the vette at?/did you bring the vette?"
"what's ACR stand for"
"oh that's just a sticker on there huh" (referring to acr decal)
"how do you open the door?/wheres the door handle?"
"can you put the window down, wheres the button?"
"its broke" (3 year old nephew points to the side gill heat extractor)

JonB ~ PartsRack
11-06-2014, 08:16 PM
""Howcome they put speakers in the HOOD?"

firefighter196
11-06-2014, 11:28 PM
When i was in Florida in about 93-94 on a vacation the guy across the road from were we were staying took delivery of a Black Viper and this car did have a V8 in it with a supercharger on it. The car was brand new it was delivered on a flatbed. This may have been a prototype I dont know but I did see this car and the engine. I even had a ride in the car it was impressive to a 24 year old.

Vprbite
11-07-2014, 02:29 AM

I forgot about the hood speakers. I used to tell people that it was for when you were at the beach or hanging out somewhere you could put the hood up and have music for a bonfire or whatever. This was somehow much more believable than "it's for the HVAC" which was always met with a "no it's not." Go figure.

As far as interesting questions go, I got one from my, at the time. 7 yr old nephew. His dad owns a corvette (I know it doesn't make sense to me either) and when I took my nephew for a ride he kept leaning over and looking out the front window. He did this a few times and I asked him what he was looking at/for and he said "where is the heads up display?" And I said "It doesn't have one" to which he replied "then how do you know what gear you are in?" Kids these days.

Fatboy 18
11-07-2014, 03:48 AM
What are those yellow things in the headlights? I tell them its Argon Gas for the HID Ballast boxes :D or Air moisture indicators :D

VYPR BYT
11-07-2014, 09:18 AM
What are those yellow things in the headlights? I tell them its Argon Gas for the HID Ballast boxes :D or Air moisture indicators :D

I tell them this...

http://www.buildtheenterprise.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/starship-enterprise-phaser-lasers.jpg

Fatboy 18
11-07-2014, 09:56 AM
:D yep that would work too :D

JonB ~ PartsRack
11-10-2014, 07:04 PM
I tell those who ask about the headlight tubes this:

They are liquid-filled micro-switches. When you pull too high of a wheelie, they cut power to the engine and quickly bring the front wheels back down safely....

JonB ~ PartsRack
11-10-2014, 07:07 PM
When i was in Florida in about 93-94 on a vacation the guy across the road from were we were staying took delivery of a Black Viper and this car did have a V8 in it with a supercharger on it. The car was brand new it was delivered on a flatbed. This may have been a prototype I dont know but I did see this car and the engine. I even had a ride in the car it was impressive to a 24 year old.

V8 TRIVIA:

Anyone remember the TV Series "VIPER" about the futuristic cops who had a normal Viper that morphed into a DEFENDER mode crime fighter? Filmed in Vancouver B.C. environs, that series had several mule cars, 1/2 cars, dolly cars, etc etc, and two of those stunt cars that were destined to be crashed DID have 360-Mopar V8s.

Vprbite
11-10-2014, 07:54 PM
V8 TRIVIA:

Anyone remember the TV Series "VIPER" about the futuristic cops who had a normal Viper that morphed into a DEFENDER mode crime fighter? Filmed in Vancouver B.C. environs, that series had several mule cars, 1/2 cars, dolly cars, etc etc, and two of those stunt cars that were destined to be crashed DID have 360-Mopar V8s.

Wow. Good to know. So it is possible that due to the short run of the series, they weren't crashed and are still alive. I suppose unlikely, but possible.

arizonajack
11-10-2014, 08:43 PM
V8 TRIVIA:

Yes, I remember the series. That's what inspired my desire to own a Viper. Wasn't in the cards for me until just recently. Ironically, about a month before I found the Viper I just bought, I watched the whole series on YouTube.

Starts here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HKRfFz60Sw

Viper67wife
11-11-2014, 08:30 PM
The most recent one (overheard) was that "obviously the owner is compensating for penis size".

Don't think so.
Diane

Vprbite
11-12-2014, 02:54 AM
The most recent one (overheard) was that "obviously the owner is compensating for penis size".

Don't think so.
Diane

Love it. Might be my favorite comment so far, Diane. I have heard the compensation thing a lot. Though mostly from my friends who love to make that joke. But that's how friends are. I don't know why I hang out with these people.

Fatboy 18
11-12-2014, 03:03 AM
E type Jag owners get that comment too :) Its all about how long the front hood is :)

Sybil TF
11-12-2014, 06:41 AM
V8 TRIVIA:

Yes, my husband went to Highschool with one of the cast members

witz323
11-12-2014, 01:13 PM
At a stoplight downtown Milwaukee and a car with 3-4 20 somethings pulls up next to me.

First 20something: Whoa, what kind of car is that?
Me: It's a viper
Second 20something: THAT ISN'T A VIPER!!!

Vprbite
11-12-2014, 03:18 PM
E type Jag owners get that comment too :) Its all about how long the front hood is :)

Not to brag, but I think our hood is longest.

Remember though you have to measure from where the transmission starts, not from the the end of the body panel!

FrgMstr
11-12-2014, 03:33 PM
A extremely attractive Egyptian girl over for a house party one night asked to see the car in the garage. I showed it to her and she said, and I truly quote, "Just looking at it makes me want to f*ck it."

Fatboy 18
11-12-2014, 04:48 PM
A extremely attractive Egyptian girl over for a house party one night asked to see the car in the garage. I showed it to her and she said, and I truly quote, "Just looking at it makes me want to f*ck it."Did you marry her? :D

FrgMstr
11-12-2014, 04:49 PM
Did you marry her? :D

No, but after the "hot tub incident" my wife will not allow her over at our house any more. LOL!

Fatboy 18
11-12-2014, 04:55 PM
LAMO Now my mind is working overtime :t15197:

Vprbite
11-12-2014, 05:00 PM
No, but after the "hot tub incident" my wife will not allow her over at our house any more. LOL!

Just let her know I have great hot tub here in Tucson and Viper in the garage so she is welcome here anytime.

As next time you are having a house party, let me know. Sounds like you know now to throw a party!

Rook
11-12-2014, 07:42 PM

I just got this one while at the dealership getting a new key cut. From a couple of their salesmen.

HobokenViper
01-15-2015, 12:05 AM
Wow. Good to know. So it is possible that due to the short run of the series, they weren't crashed and are still alive. I suppose unlikely, but possible.

There is still at least one alive out there as it was for sale about a year or so ago. The V8 car from the show. I know there was some reason why they put a V8 in it, but can't seem to remember (or understand) why that would have happened. Think they had a really tough time selling the car.

HobokenViper
01-15-2015, 12:14 AM
Took my Viper out about a month ago to stretch her legs a bit after a nice rainstorm washed all the salt off the roads, and parked right in front of my local barber shop and got a haircut. The guy who cut my hair saw my car out front and was asking me what it was and can he see it? Took him outside with me and he started asking me if I had all "that body cladding and holes in the hood" installed after I bought the car. I looked at him like he was nuts, and didn't know how to properly respond except asking him to google the dodge viper on his phone and tell me what it looks like. He got the picture really quickly, and all was forgiven.

I've gotten the Corvette thing a few times, the "do they still make Vipers?" far too many times to count, and a whole bunch of other ridiculous questions and comments from people at car shows. One Dad was showing the car to his kid and clearly had no clue what it was, but finally saw the snake badge on the hood and I hear him him telling his 7 year old son that it was a Shelby Cobra! LOL!!!

Vprbite
01-18-2015, 05:58 PM
I got asked the at a light "does that one have the 10 in it?" I said "yes, all Vipers have aluminum V-10s in them" and was met with a dubious look. He said "no they have 8's too" so rather than try and discuss this out at a light I said " well this one has a 10."

I find it interesting people try and tell us so much about our cars. Where are they learning these things that they are so certain of and are always patently wrong? Maybe they are getting these tidbits from the dodge salesmen :smilielol::smilielol:

Vprbite
01-18-2015, 06:01 PM
Took my Viper out about a month ago to stretch her legs a bit after a nice rainstorm washed all the salt off the roads, and parked right in front of my local barber shop and got a haircut. The guy who cut my hair saw my car out front and was asking me what it was and can he see it? Took him outside with me and he started asking me if I had all "that body cladding and holes in the hood" installed after I bought the car. I looked at him like he was nuts, and didn't know how to properly respond except asking him to google the dodge viper on his phone and tell me what it looks like. He got the picture really quickly, and all was forgiven.

I've gotten the Corvette thing a few times, the "do they still make Vipers?" far too many times to count, and a whole bunch of other ridiculous questions and comments from people at car shows. One Dad was showing the car to his kid and clearly had no clue what it was, but finally saw the snake badge on the hood and I hear him him telling his 7 year old son that it was a Shelby Cobra! LOL!!!

Partial credit for the shelby cobra IMO given their similar design origins.

I have a friend who at a car show had someone think his F355 was a mustang because of the horse on it. He loves his ferrari the way I (and most of us ) love our Vipers and he was rendered speechless. I thought he was gonna cry.

Space Truckin
01-18-2015, 07:40 PM
Yesterday while getting gas, had some numbnuts ask me if it was an automatic???? WTF, didn't even answer, just got back in the car and left....

SlateEd
01-18-2015, 08:00 PM
The one that stood out most was a guy who just started dating a good friend of ours (should be trying to make a good impression with me and my wife here...) The 4 of us go out for dinner and the friend mentions I have a Viper, we're really into it, do a lot of club things, get together with 20 at a time, and blah blah. So the guy tells me "those are fast, but my M3 I uzedta have was fasta" And I nod and chuckle and say well I'm sure you liked that car a lot...

then he asks if my car is an automatic and I politely say, well no - they're all manuals; If you see an auto, someone custom installed it... this idiot insists he knows better and goes 3 minutes down this path telling me automatic transmission was a dealer option, they could get it but most dealers just didn't order them that way - I ask him what years, he says "all the years, it's been that way since the 80s"

yep. fun "fact"

AZTVR
01-18-2015, 08:00 PM
had some numbnuts ask me if it was an automatic???? WTF, didn't even answer, just got back in the car and left....

How many car models, other than a Viper, are NOT offered with an automatic?

Vprbite
01-18-2015, 09:19 PM
The one that stood out most was a guy who just started dating a good friend of ours (should be trying to make a good impression with me and my wife here...) The 4 of us go out for dinner and the friend mentions I have a Viper, we're really into it, do a lot of club things, get together with 20 at a time, and blah blah. So the guy tells me "those are fast, but my M3 I uzedta have was fasta" And I nod and chuckle and say well I'm sure you liked that car a lot...

then he asks if my car is an automatic and I politely say, well no - they're all manuals; If you see an auto, someone custom installed it... this idiot insists he knows better and goes 3 minutes down this path telling me automatic transmission was a dealer option, they could get it but most dealers just didn't order them that way - I ask him what years, he says "all the years, it's been that way since the 80s"

yep. fun "fact"

Again, where do people get these "facts" upon which they are so damn certain?

Isn't it funny how fast some of these cars are that people used to have? Makes me wonder why they got rid of them. If I had a nickel for every person who "used to have" a faster car than me. And all I need is a penny for every time someone tells me they know someone with a car who will smoke mine. "Yeah well I know a guy running XYZ who will leave this in the dust." Yeah well sucks to be me I guess.

Rocket
01-18-2015, 10:58 PM
I was at a car show and there was a Ferrari next to me. Someone asked me if I would rather have the Ferrari engine in the Viper ..... my response ...... why would I want to go slower? :smilielol:

Fatboy 18
01-19-2015, 04:28 AM
I was at a car show and there was a Ferrari next to me. Someone asked me if I would rather have the Ferrari engine in the Viper ..... my response ...... why would I want to go slower? :smilielol:

Best quote of the day there :smilielol:

AZTVR
01-19-2015, 10:50 AM
My pet peeve is people who look at the speedometer and make a conclusion of what it's max speed is based on the highest number printed on the gauge. Clueless. But, I still like to talk to them; because, they are generally enthusiastic in some way.

cfiiman
01-19-2015, 12:43 PM

Ok, what was the "hot tub" incident??????

And I always get asked, "how much did that cost", and for some reason that irks me.

Space Truckin
01-19-2015, 03:46 PM
And I always get asked, "how much did that cost", and for some reason that irks me.

When asked cost, I always answer 70-80hr work week and then their eyes glaze over...... :p0257:

AZTVR
01-19-2015, 03:55 PM

When asked cost, I always answer 70-80hr work week and then their eyes glaze over....

I would typically answer that I bought it used and it didn't cost me more than a lot of folks pick-up trucks or SUVs.

JonB ~ PartsRack
01-19-2015, 04:06 PM

I have the perfect vanity plate for ya:

YBYA4RE

Sergio would not like it tho

AZTVR
01-19-2015, 04:15 PM
I have the perfect vanity plate for ya: YBYA4RE

Sergio would not like it tho

That would look great on this Arizona specialty plate style. :United_States:

http://deserttitle.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/AZ_Specialty_Freedom.jpg

JonB ~ PartsRack
01-20-2015, 05:40 PM
WOW. Love the Flag-Plate !!!

[But I think of AZ as one of the less-FREE of the 50 States !!!!]

Vprbite
01-20-2015, 07:55 PM
WOW. Love the Flag-Plate !!!

[But I think of AZ as one of the less-FREE of the 50 States !!!!]

Ummmm....maybe compared to texas or Alaska. Have you seen our gun laws? Or lack thereof? Our car taxes suck but other than that...I think we are pretty free here.

Vipes
01-20-2015, 07:56 PM
Yesterday while getting gas, had some numbnuts ask me if it was an automatic???? WTF, didn't even answer, just got back in the car and left....

I get asked that question often and I am nice enough to realized that not everybody is a viper guru so I'm not a dick about it.

Space Truckin
01-20-2015, 08:05 PM
I get asked that question often and I am nice enough to realized that not everybody is a viper guru so I'm not a dick about it.

I "realized" as soon as he got out of his Porsche with his penny loafers he was the DICK :p0257: I really don't have patience for stupid anymore.

Vipes
01-20-2015, 08:09 PM
Haha, people still wear penny loafers... :smilielol:

Leslie
01-20-2015, 08:16 PM
Hahaha!

I get told they have an automatic version a lot too.
Some guy tried to tell me my car only had 450hp. and that I should read the manual.

Vprbite
01-22-2015, 03:30 AM
Hahaha!

I get told they have an automatic version a lot too.
Some guy tried to tell me my car only had 450hp. and that I should read the manual.

Yours does only has 450, Leslie. They sold you the girl version which has less horsepower so women can handle it. They only let us men have the full horsepower option. You didn't know that?

(If there was a way to email me a punch in the mouth, Leslie would currently be underway with that.)

HobokenViper
01-22-2015, 03:36 AM
Again, where do people get these "facts" upon which they are so damn certain?

Isn't it funny how fast some of these cars are that people used to have? Makes me wonder why they got rid of them. If I had a nickel for every person who "used to have" a faster car than me. And all I need is a penny for every time someone tells me they know someone with a car who will smoke mine. "Yeah well I know a guy running XYZ who will leave this in the dust." Yeah well sucks to be me I guess.

Can't stand all those countless people who come up and say that they had a car faster or have an uncle who has a faster car, etc..... One clueless guy at my gym actually started telling me how he just got a new car that could beat mine in a race for sure. I jokingly asked what it was, and he said it was the new Ford Focus (not the one with the biggest engine either), and I kinda just chuckled and tried explaining to him how he might think his car is fast compared to what he's driven previously, but it's really not. He disagreed and kept insisting that his car was the fastest thing he's ever driven and he blows every car away on the road. Clearly wasn't worth any more effort on my end.

Or the funniest example of this happened a couple weeks ago as I was getting my 3 year old son changed in the locker room after swim class and this 17 year old kid randomly comes up and asks me if I have a Shelby Cobra since I was wearing a shirt with the logo on it. Fair enough question, and a likely normal lead in for a normal conversation about cars. Told him I had a Viper, and he immediately proceeds to try to "one-up" me by telling me that his uncle has a car that could "smoke mine", the new Koenigsegg 1:1. I laughed because not only is there only 1 in the entire country right now and for the foreseeable near future, but it's not street legal except for show and track use, and it's also still not sold and belongs to Manhattan Motorcars in New York City. How do I know this? I'm friends with the owner of Manhattan Motorcars and saw it in their upstairs warehouse on a recent private tour of their facility and cars and also read every car magazine with extensive reporting on this exact car. Tried telling the kid this, but he swore and knew better than me, and was telling me how he drives with him in the car every weekend, etc..... I mean, if you're going to tell lies and tall tales, at least make sure they are not completely absurd and could possibly be believable......... LOL!

I just don't get stupid or ignorant people like this who make bold claims when they don't really know anything, or others who try to tell us "facts" about our cars that they clearly have no clue about. Always makes me laugh. And don't try to impress us with talk about some faster car your 3rd cousin twice removed owned 39 years ago just to try to make small talk.....it's just annoying, and NOT TRUE.

Fatboy 18
01-22-2015, 03:42 AM
I don't understand it either :(

Vprbite
01-22-2015, 03:31 PM
P
Can't stand all those countless people who come up and say that they had a car faster or have an uncle who has a faster car, etc..... One clueless guy at my gym actually started telling me how he just got a new car that could beat mine in a race for sure. I jokingly asked what it was, and he said it was the new Ford Focus (not the one with the biggest engine either), and I kinda just chuckled and tried explaining to him how he might think his car is fast compared to what he's driven previously, but it's really not. He disagreed and kept insisting that his car was the fastest thing he's ever driven and he blows every car away on the road. Clearly wasn't worth any more effort on my end.

Or the funniest example of this happened a couple weeks ago as I was getting my 3 year old son changed in the locker room after swim class and this 17 year old kid randomly comes up and asks me if I have a Shelby Cobra since I was wearing a shirt with the logo on it. Fair enough question, and a likely normal lead in for a normal conversation about cars. Told him I had a Viper, and he immediately proceeds to try to "one-up" me by telling me that his uncle has a car that could "smoke mine", the new Koenigsegg 1:1. I laughed because not only is there only 1 in the entire country right now and for the foreseeable near future, but it's not street legal except for show and track use, and it's also still not sold and belongs to Manhattan Motorcars in New York City. How do I know this? I'm friends with the owner of Manhattan Motorcars and saw it in their upstairs warehouse on a recent private tour of their facility and cars and also read every car magazine with extensive reporting on this exact car. Tried telling the kid this, but he swore and knew better than me, and was telling me how he drives with him in the car every weekend, etc..... I mean, if you're going to tell lies and tall tales, at least make sure they are not completely absurd and could possibly be believable......... LOL!

I just don't get stupid or ignorant people like this who make bold claims when they don't really know anything, or others who try to tell us "facts" about our cars that they clearly have no clue about. Always makes me laugh. And don't try to impress us with talk about some faster car your 3rd cousin twice removed owned 39 years ago just to try to make small talk.....it's just annoying, and NOT TRUE.

I think it's funny that anyone would think saying a Koenegsegg would take down a Viper is a slam. It damn well better!

When I had my 02 GTS I had someone tell me that the brand new (this was in 2011) ZR1 was faster than it. And I said that a car with about 15 years more engineering and double price tag outta be faster. I find usually the people with other fast cars tend to be pretty cool. I have run into people with cobra's and Ferraris and we tend to exchange some car talk or "nice car" at the light. It's the wanna be's that have the negative stuff to say. As a car guy, I have the belief that if you love your car, I am down for that. I can respect that. I like to bag on Vettes with buddies and on here but when i am at a car show and meet a guy who loves his Vette as much as I love my Viper then ya know what? I like it too. I understand having a car you are passionate about so I am excited to share in people's joy if they had V-6 mustang. If that's all they could swing right now but they love it like it was the GT350 then cool, so do I.

And any real car guy knows that when you get into the world of exotics and very high performance vehicles, there are pluses and minuses about every car. Some cars corner a bit better than the Viper but then we reel them in in the straight or something to that effect. Real car people know that every car can be beaten on the right day with the right driver and we respect that. Hell, I could build a Honda civic to beat the Viper if I didnt care that the motor would grenade after 2 passes.

I think the stuff you were sharing, Hoboken, is the flip side of the reaction coin this car generates. Usually, it lands on the positive side but occasionally (and usually pretty rarely) it lands on the jealousy side where someone feels the need to try and take you down to make themselves feel better. Who gives a shit if you know someone with a faster car? How does that reflect on you? Am I to be impressed that you know a wealthy person?

Luckily most of the stuff we get told about our vipers is good natured and goofy. "No they offered it with a V-12 but people didn't order it that way" and things to that effect.

HobokenViper
01-22-2015, 03:56 PM
P

I think it's funny that anyone would think saying a Koenegsegg would take down a Viper is a slam. It damn well better!

When I had my 02 GTS I had someone tell me that the brand new (this was in 2011) ZR1 was faster than it. And I said that a car with about 15 years more engineering and double price tag outta be faster. I find usually the people with other fast cars tend to be pretty cool. I have run into people with cobra's and Ferraris and we tend to exchange some car talk or "nice car" at the light. It's the wanna be's that have the negative stuff to say. As a car guy, I have the belief that if you love your car, I am down for that. I can respect that. I like to bag on Vettes with buddies and on here but when i am at a car show and meet a guy who loves his Vette as much as I love my Viper then ya know what? I like it too. I understand having a car you are passionate about so I am excited to share in people's joy if they had V-6 mustang. If that's all they could swing right now but they love it like it was the GT350 then cool, so do I.

And any real car guy knows that when you get into the world of exotics and very high performance vehicles, there are pluses and minuses about every car. Some cars corner a bit better than the Viper but then we reel them in in the straight or something to that effect. Real car people know that every car can be beaten on the right day with the right driver and we respect that. Hell, I could build a Honda civic to beat the Viper if I didnt care that the motor would grenade after 2 passes.

I think the stuff you were sharing, Hoboken, is the flip side of the reaction coin this car generates. Usually, it lands on the positive side but occasionally (and usually pretty rarely) it lands on the jealousy side where someone feels the need to try and take you down to make themselves feel better. Who gives a shit if you know someone with a faster car? How does that reflect on you? Am I to be impressed that you know a wealthy person?

Luckily most of the stuff we get told about our vipers is good natured and goofy. "No they offered it with a V-12 but people didn't order it that way" and things to that effect.

I didn't say that anyone saying that a Koenigsegg taking down a Viper is a slam. It definitely is in a much higher class than the Viper and certainly would hand our ass to us any day of the week. What I was saying was that this kid was clearly lying with some completely absurd story that made zero sense just to try to "one-up" me in front of his buddy when we could have had a nice fun talk about cars in general instead of that obnoxious exchange. I just don't get some people and why they would act that way. I think the most enjoyable part of owning any exotic car is sharing it with others who enjoy and appreciate it as well. What fun is anything in life without someone to share your toys and good times with?????

Because of my current situation with 2 very young kids at home, it is a rare special occasion when I am able to take my Vioer out for any real drive, mostly to a car show here and there. Why do I do that? Because I enjoy meeting and talking to other car guys and making new friends and hanging out with old car buddies, and I also do get a rise out of some of the funny things people say and their reactions to the car. But sometimes they can be uneccesarily annoying or obnoxious, like in the example I mentioned above where there's clearly no real good intent, or someone feels the need to lecture me at a gas station about how I'm incredibly irresponsible for driving a car with such poor fuel efficiency, without knowing that I actually drive a decently fuel efficient car on a daily basis and probably do more personally to lower my carbon footprint and benefit the environment than they do.

MalingatorGTS
01-22-2015, 06:42 PM
As I have only had mine a short time, and due to CT winter it has been in the garage almost 99.9% of the time I have owned it, I already have had a few choice comments.

1. Like many, my uncle, brother, mother's dog three times removed HAD a "whatever" car that would smoke a Viper.

2. Did you buy the V12 version. When say, no, sorry, they only made a V10; reply..oh that's too bad, must be the slower Viper then...

3. I had a screw in one of the rear tires when I bought the car. Didn't notice until I took the wheel off to do some work. I took it to my local tire shop to see if they could plug it, lucky for me they could. Having bought tires for previous cars, the wife's SUV etc there, I know the manager pretty well and he's a car guy so always talk cars. When I brought in a 13" wide wheel, he said..what did you buy that takes that thing. I told him a Viper and he made me promise to bring it down for him to see. As he fixed the tire and gave me a break on the cost, a few days later I drove the car over for him to see. As expected, every guy working in the shop comes out, takes pics, etc. The manager then says to me, hey you know, come spring we should get our cars out on the road together, I think after I do some more mods to mine I will easily be able to hang with it. he was dead serious despite a few of his co-workers looking at him with a strange look. To be nice, and intrigued, I said, OK, what do you have? His reply, "a new Fiat Abarth, but I'm doing a CAI this winter so I know I can really keep up with your car." On that, I smiled, politely said, OK, I gotta go....got in my car and just drove away almost laughing to myself to the point where I didn't even want to push down on the gas and embarrass him as I left the lot.

sparkrn
01-22-2015, 07:29 PM
A few years ago at the Illinois monthly meeting we were all standing outside after the meeting. a rice burner comes flying by with the young kid driving yelling out the window " I hate v-8s." the guy standing next to me just says "so do we".

sparkrn
01-22-2015, 07:30 PM
I once was coming out of a restaurant and had a quite attractive woman yell to me "that's a pussy magnet".

Vprbite
01-22-2015, 08:45 PM
I once was coming out of a restaurant and had a quite attractive woman yell to me "that's a pussy magnet".

Giggity.

Vprbite
01-22-2015, 08:52 PM
I didn't say that anyone saying that a Koenigsegg taking down a Viper is a slam. It definitely is in a much higher class than the Viper and certainly would hand our ass to us any day of the week. What I was saying was that this kid was clearly lying with some completely absurd story that made zero sense just to try to "one-up" me in front of his buddy when we could have had a nice fun talk about cars in general instead of that obnoxious exchange. I just don't get some people and why they would act that way. I think the most enjoyable part of owning any exotic car is sharing it with others who enjoy and appreciate it as well. What fun is anything in life without someone to share your toys and good times with?????

Because of my current situation with 2 very young kids at home, it is a rare special occasion when I am able to take my Vioer out for any real drive, mostly to a car show here and there. Why do I do that? Because I enjoy meeting and talking to other car guys and making new friends and hanging out with old car buddies, and I also do get a rise out of some of the funny things people say and their reactions to the car. But sometimes they can be uneccesarily annoying or obnoxious, like in the example I mentioned above where there's clearly no real good intent, or someone feels the need to lecture me at a gas station about how I'm incredibly irresponsible for driving a car with such poor fuel efficiency, without knowing that I actually drive a decently fuel efficient car on a daily basis and probably do more personally to lower my carbon footprint and benefit the environment than they do.

I hear ya on that. I enjoy meeting people and sharing the experience too. I keep matchbox Vipers to give out to kids at car shows or gas stations (kids always seem to love the Viper) and once got asked by a woman if I would take her 80 year old mother for a ride. Of course I obliged. She said "it's like an amusement park ride."

Occasionally you get the prick that just wants to take you down, even though you were never trying to be above anyone. I was chatting with the Valet in front of a resort as he was asking about HP and such and a guy walked up out of the blue and said "you have way too much money." Which I found crazy cause, 1...who says something like that and 2...I don't and wasn't trying to shove it in anyone's face what I did or didn't have. I said " no, I used to have too much so I bought this" as I figured it was nicer than the large number of other things I could have said involving money and his wife.

But usually most people just seem to swear to me that nonsense is totally true. Like once I was told " yeah but Corvette makes the Viper." I didn't even know where to start correcting that one.

Photog1
01-24-2015, 12:37 AM

My sentiments exactly!:dude3:

nastygts
01-27-2015, 10:40 PM
A local car nut sent a text just a few days ago while I was cleaning up the most recent purchase.

He: dude......just passed by your house......did you by a C7?
I: no......not that I know of.....
He: whats the black car in the garage?
I: a Viper
He: oh......did you paint the white one black?
I: no; bought another one
He: man; i knew something was up with the white car.....just didn't seem as fast as the magazines claim.
I: I still have the white car too.....they are both 13's
He: so you have 2 vipers?
I: yes
He: why do you have 2?
I: what's better than one? TWO!
He: why not pick up a C7Z06......then you would have the fastest factory car too...

I never replied back after that..........

Vprbite
01-28-2015, 04:19 AM
A local car nut sent a text just a few days ago while I was cleaning up the most recent purchase.

He: dude......just passed by your house......did you by a C7?
I: no......not that I know of.....
He: whats the black car in the garage?
I: a Viper
He: oh......did you paint the white one black?
I: no; bought another one
He: man; i knew something was up with the white car.....just didn't seem as fast as the magazines claim.
I: I still have the white car too.....they are both 13's
He: so you have 2 vipers?
I: yes
He: why do you have 2?
I: what's better than one? TWO!
He: why not pick up a C7Z06......then you would have the fastest factory car too...

I never replied back after that..........

If only there was a video of some sort showing a viper racing a Z07. Hmmm

I gotta wonder how much of a car nut he must be to flat out declare it the fastest factory car. Sure he wasn't just trying to get your goat?

The_Greg
01-28-2015, 07:23 AM
It's disappointing to know that so many 'enthusiasts' can maintain such incorrect information. Winston Churchill once said, "The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."

I think something similar applies to car enthusiasts.

FrgMstr
01-28-2015, 07:51 AM
It's disappointing to know that so many 'enthusiasts' can maintain such incorrect information. Winston Churchill once said, "The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."

I think something similar applies to car enthusiasts.

I think Winston Chrurchill would roll over in his grave if he knew how stupid the general public has become.

Sybil TF
01-29-2015, 09:22 AM
I think Winston Chrurchill would roll over in his grave if he knew how ignorant the general public has become.

Fixed. It's by design thanks to our govt. Anyone who has small children in the public school system that has to deal with "Common Core" knows what I mean.

FrgMstr
01-29-2015, 09:42 AM
No, I meant STUPID. Ignorance I can deal with.

LeadfootRT10
01-29-2015, 10:18 AM
Fixed. It's by design thanks to our govt. Anyone who has small children in the public school system that has to deal with "Common Core" knows what I mean.

Right, because a basic school standard that was introduced 3-4 years ago is the reason ADULTS are stupid today....

SlateEd
01-29-2015, 12:25 PM
The common theme is how much people refuse to think before they speak.. talking about cars seems to bring it out easily.

I walked into a Ford dealership with my wife a few months ago - parked her SRT8 Jeep out front, I'm wearing a Viper jacket at the time. I ask the salesman if they have any FocusSTs available for a test drive. He says "not right now, they sell fast... are you sure you want to look at that one? It's really a rocket ship... most people love the Titanium edition"
okay - you saw the SRT Jeep, you can see the Viper jacket, come off the script about how fast the ST is, maybe recognize anything about the person you're talking with..? nope.

City
01-29-2015, 01:48 PM
I've been told often that I ought to wash the damn car.

Dajerseyviper
01-29-2015, 07:40 PM
That I must have a small penis for owning it...

My wife can be cruel...;)

Sybil TF
01-29-2015, 09:25 PM
that i must have a small penis for owning it...

My wife can be cruel...;)lol

Vprbite
01-29-2015, 10:31 PM
That I must have a small penis for owning it...

My wife can be cruel...;)

That was funny. Well done sir.

Dajerseyviper
01-30-2015, 03:04 PM
That was funny. Well done sir.

Sadly I wasnt trying to be funny..:lol2:

Vprbite
01-30-2015, 03:58 PM
Sadly I wasnt trying to be funny..:lol2:

Hehe. Ouch. I hear that one from people occasionally but since I am usually accompanied by a pretty girl I just ignore it or say "yeah, but it stays pretty busy."

Of course it's usually friends busting my chops. And I say, "well if I had a small weiner, then why do I have a big truck, a big dog, and lots of guns?"

I figure betwen those and the Viper I have easily extended it to a good 4 inches.

Dajerseyviper
01-30-2015, 04:31 PM
I figure betwen those and the Viper I have easily extended it to a good 4 inches.

So its up to 5" now...hahahah

Vprbite
01-30-2015, 08:48 PM
I'll take every inch I can get.

I better go lift my truck just to be safe.

Vprbite
02-03-2015, 02:17 AM
I was told that they are ordered as "kit cars" that the dealer then builds to your specification... really. Blew me away. :)

I heard something like this now that you mention it. Someone was asking me if I bought it or built it. I said that the exhaust mods (my previous Viper) were done before I bought it and he said that a friend of his bought it as the parts and put it together himself. I tried to follow up with questions like "did he buy one wrecked and fix it?" or "do you mean he converted a 92 vette with a kit or something like that?" and he said he ordered it from the factory as a kit and put it together. I had no idea what the hell he was talking about. Probably some 1995 issue of motor trend referred to it as a glorified kit car and people have held on to it since.

That's how it seems to be. People read some strage remark and hold on to that pseudo-fact for dear life.

Dajerseyviper
02-03-2015, 07:18 AM
I heard something like this now that you mention it. Someone was asking me if I bought it or built it. I said that the exhaust mods (my previous Viper) were done before I bought it and he said that a friend of his bought it as the parts and put it together himself. I tried to follow up with questions like "did he buy one wrecked and fix it?" or "do you mean he converted a 92 vette with a kit or something like that?" and he said he ordered it from the factory as a kit and put it together. I had no idea what the hell he was talking about. Probably some 1995 issue of motor trend referred to it as a glorified kit car and people have held on to it since.

That's how it seems to be. People read some strage remark and hold on to that pseudo-fact for dear life.

I walk away from people like that. I had people ask me why I didn't just get a Z06 , I just reply that if I wanted to look like every other middle aged Guido on the road I would have..

C.J
02-03-2015, 08:28 AM
The common theme is how much people refuse to think before they speak.. talking about cars seems to bring it out easily.

I walked into a Ford dealership with my wife a few months ago - parked her SRT8 Jeep out front, I'm wearing a Viper jacket at the time. I ask the salesman if they have any FocusSTs available for a test drive. He says "not right now, they sell fast... are you sure you want to look at that one? It's really a rocket ship... most people love the Titanium edition"
okay - you saw the SRT Jeep, you can see the Viper jacket, come off the script about how fast the ST is, maybe recognize anything about the person you're talking with..? nope.

Was the sales guy wearing sunglasses and holding a white cane?