PDA

View Full Version : Generation comparison

commandomatt
10-19-2014, 10:54 AM
I recently had chance to get a really close look at the Gen V, including a drive.

While there is no question its a nice car, its also quite different than the Gen 3 & 4. The guys that check out the V are for the most part (based on the feedback I read here) taken by the design, quality and features. Its refined and plush. Comfortable and good looking.

So this is where I have a different opinion. While I am not ruling out the possibility of getting a V at some point down the road, there is no way I will trade in any of my cars

The 3 (modified with Paxton, exhaust, suspension and more)) is so much more exciting to drive. Keeps you on your toes. Feels like an inflated GoCart. Raw, unforgiving and an absolute blast to drive. Its bouncy and harsh with direct feedback that means you cant relax. Like a roller coaster ride. It has a tight cabin that is loud. Great seats for me (far more secure than in the V) and even though spartan interior.....everything I need to keep me informed of whats going on with the car

When I walked up on the V, it was with mixed feelings. I wanted to like it but it did not stir my emotions. Just didn't grab me like I thought and hoped it would. I saw 5 different colors in one day

When I get close to the ACR it still makes a huge impression on me. Its absolutely kick ass beautiful, in an all business kind of way. The Aero blends so well with the more linear design of the body yet it stand out enough you know that it was put there to work......not just look good. It doesnt look like it belongs on the street. Its a race car that got off the track and ended up among the 'normal' street cars.

So the bottom line is this. While I look forward to seeing the Gen V evolve and hopefully last long enough to get a few design changes (ACR style etc) I am more exited about the 3 & 4 and the road presence that they have.

When I see what's being done by members on this board like Absolute, SlowH, Intrigue9, Hammer, LunchB and many more, I feel that these generation cars (3&4) are the last of a breed and as good as it gets, between the looks and raw performance

Just my take.

Matt

Steve M
10-19-2014, 11:06 AM
Road presence is something I admire about the Viper the most...sometimes I feel like my 2008 might be getting a little long in the tooth when compared to the Gen 5 cars, but every time I see another one driving down the road (which is extremely rare around here), I still say "oh wow". I saw an earlier gen RT/10 in Orlando a couple weeks ago, and it still made me say that.

Fat tires and a body that is low and wide really makes a big impression. I think it's safe to say that we now have Vipers to suit any taste out there, from the guys that really like it raw (Gen 1/2) to a little more refined (Gen 3/4) to Gucci (Gen 5).

PaulP
10-19-2014, 12:17 PM
I think it's safe to say that we now have Vipers to suit any taste out there, from the guys that really like it raw (Gen 1/2) to a little more refined (Gen 3/4) to Gucci (Gen 5).[/QUOTE]

Well said ^^^ that was my impression with the gen 5 also very gucci as you say, i personally think that what made the viper obviously was raw power! early 90's if people wanted refined interiors and hp they went Italian cars, if you wanted raw hp to smash a italian car you went viper, i think thats been lost in the building of the last few gens obviously staying around 500hp for 22 years, there refining things and going after a diff type of customer, i personally think go back to the basics raw hp , put the development money into the engine and drive train = boost, the most hp best bang for the buck what vipers known for , quit trying to go after the customers that want gucci interiors because there gonna stay with the italian cars. my two cents.

ACRucrazy
10-19-2014, 02:15 PM
This should be a good thread.

http://mrwgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Jon-Stewart-Eagerly-Watching-Eating-His-Popcorn-On-The-Daily-Show.gif

Tony_Clifton
10-19-2014, 02:22 PM
The days of the gen 2, gen 3 and gen 4 are gone. That is ancient history. Dinosaurs.

The new gen 5 is the future.

Time to move on

Viktimize
10-19-2014, 02:43 PM
It would be nice if the Gen5 carried over that look from the Gen3/4 that gives you that instant emotional response and instantly makes you think "Gawd Dam! That is one sexy car!". Unfortunately the Gen5 is more of a grow on you look from the front end. A simple GTS-R replica looking front bumper would fix that, but the rest of the car is so much better in every aspect that it's bland look is worth the upgrade to me.

commandomatt
10-19-2014, 03:36 PM
The days of the gen 2, gen 3 and gen 4 are gone. That is ancient history. Dinosaurs.

Time to move on

Never said that the Gen V wasnt the future. Its clear that the car is more refined and has more creature comforts to make for a 'nicer' ride. Has a lot of regulated equipment that we will never be able to get away from.

and as far as Dinosaurs....., a T-Rex is a hell of a lot more exciting than an domesticated horse !!

SA Heat
10-19-2014, 04:48 PM

Time to move on

Nice troll.

01sapphirebob
10-19-2014, 05:08 PM
It would be nice if the Gen5 carried over that look from the Gen3/4 that gives you that instant emotional response and instantly makes you think "Gawd Dam! That is one sexy car!". Unfortunately the Gen5 is more of a grow on you look from the front end. A simple GTS-R replica looking front bumper would fix that, but the rest of the car is so much better in every aspect that it's bland look is worth the upgrade to me.

If you look at a gen III/IV next to a gen v the cars actually share a lot of design attributes. Ive got a picture of my GEN IV next to a V and its amazing how similar they are. These kinds of thread are always interesting because how you feel about the GEN III/IV design is exactly how i feel anoout the GEN I/II design. To me...that car screams sexy with all its curves and voluptuous shape. For me...the GEN III/IV design has to many straight lines and angles. To each their own as all generations are great cars in their own right. Ive always been a huge fan of the GEN I/II design and will most likely never get rid of my '01. Love. That. Car.

IndyRon
10-19-2014, 10:01 PM
I agree that the Gen 4 ACR doesn't have any competition in the road presence or exterior styling and appearance department. I do like the Gucci interior of the Gen 5 though. I'm not emotionally moved by the Gen 5 like I was by the Gen 4 ACR in particular, but if you drive them back to back, the Gen 5 is a better driving car. It is every bit as rewarding as the Gen 4 coupe while being more refined in its finish, interior noise, lack of squeaks and rattles. Overall, some of the rough edges that remained on the previous generations were polished in the Gen 5.

City
10-20-2014, 10:57 AM
As a Gen 2 owner and now a Gen 4 owner, I can relate to many of the comments made above. But, owners might want to consider that with the increased base price of a Viper, the demographic of the general "buyer" has moved "north" since 1992. I have no metrics other than my educated impression, but I'd venture that the age of the average Gen 5 buyer is at least a decade older than was the Gen 1 and 2 buyer.

That being the case (assuming it's accurate), the "Gucci" (less raw) improvements ARE the selling points of the Gen 5 to the 2014/2105 Viper marketplace. I'm not taking a position here, just noting that times, market and economics change and define product.

ViperTony
10-20-2014, 11:55 AM
I recently had chance to get a really close look at the Gen V, including a drive.

While there is no question its a nice car, its also quite different than the Gen 3 & 4. The guys that check out the V are for the most part (based on the feedback I read here) taken by the design, quality and features. Its refined and plush. Comfortable and good looking.

Agreed. Very different than any previous generation Viper.

So this is where I have a different opinion. While I am not ruling out the possibility of getting a V at some point down the road, there is no way I will trade in any of my cars

Agreed, I would never trade in my GenII for any other generation Viper including the GenV.

The 3 (modified with Paxton, exhaust, suspension and more)) is so much more exciting to drive. Keeps you on your toes. Feels like an inflated GoCart. Raw, unforgiving and an absolute blast to drive. Its bouncy and harsh with direct feedback that means you cant relax. Like a roller coaster ride. It has a tight cabin that is loud. Great seats for me (far more secure than in the V) and even though spartan interior.....everything I need to keep me informed of whats going on with the car

My GenII (mods listed in Signature and catless) is much more exciting to drive than my GenV. Raw, unforgiving and an absolute blast to drive is how my GenII is too. Loud as Armageddon...the heads, cam, exhaust, etc. is a joy to listen to. It shakes my soul. It's a feeling I have yet to experience in another car, yet. A 700HP widow maker. There's no other way to describe it. Night and day difference compared to the my GenV but each is special in it's own way.

However, in the GenV the adrenaline kicks in around 4,000rpm + higher. It feels as if it gets rear-ended and takes off! The power climbs smoothly and quickly and it's fast. In the GenV I'm more focused on how fast and smooth as I can be. It's amazing. GenV is smooth and fast and that's a killer combination.

When I walked up on the V, it was with mixed feelings. I wanted to like it but it did not stir my emotions. Just didn't grab me like I thought and hoped it would. I saw 5 different colors in one day

This is the exact reaction I had when I saw the GenV at the unveiling in NY. Beautiful but it didn't shake my soul. The GTS-R, on other than hand, yes.

When I get close to the ACR it still makes a huge impression on me. Its absolutely kick ass beautiful, in an all business kind of way. The Aero blends so well with the more linear design of the body yet it stand out enough you know that it was put there to work......not just look good. It doesnt look like it belongs on the street. Its a race car that got off the track and ended up among the 'normal' street cars.

The GenIV ACR is still king to me. If I didn't win the GenV door prize, I would be driving a GenIV ACR right now. I was ready to pull the trigger on one and begin modding it. However, with aero and HP Tuners tuning available for the GenV I'm embarking on my GenV mod journey....headers, exhaust, cats, tuning, aero....initially. :D

We held an AutoCross at Limerock park in July. Steve Katz set an autocross course record in his stock GenIV with rock-hard tires. Beat everything. http://limerock.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=690&Itemid=286 Even Tator in his stock Gen I beat most everything including GenV's. It just goes to show that any generation Viper in capable hands is going to make someone cry on any given day.

So the bottom line is this. While I look forward to seeing the Gen V evolve and hopefully last long enough to get a few design changes (ACR style etc) I am more exited about the 3 & 4 and the road presence that they have.

I get excited to see any generation Viper on the road. Each has it's own unique personality. I'm curious to see the future of the ACR and what, if anything, Dodge does power-wise to the future Viper.

v10enomous
10-20-2014, 12:12 PM
The Gen4 ACR vs GenV debate will end with the GenV ACR. Till then it's an apples to oranges comparison. Having said that I still would like to have a Gen4 ACR or even an Aero Gen4.

98intrigue
10-20-2014, 01:25 PM
Appreciate the kind words, Matt!

BlknBlu
10-20-2014, 02:01 PM
It is the Evolution of the species. The case of the GEN V is leaps above the previous models mostly with interior and electronics. It is still a Viper in every aspect and has very many raw attributes to it. The Dodge Ram of today is not the same as the one from 1990 if you think about it. Every Viper holds a spot in history and ALL have thier spot here. It is so good to see that the Beast is still being manufactured and we are still talking about it's future.

Good thread.

Bruce

Taximan1
10-20-2014, 02:25 PM
If you look at a gen III/IV next to a gen v the cars actually share a lot of design attributes. Ive got a picture of my GEN IV next to a V and its amazing how similar they are. These kinds of thread are always interesting because how you feel about the GEN III/IV design is exactly how i feel anoout the GEN I/II design. To me...that car screams sexy with all its curves and voluptuous shape. For me...the GEN III/IV design has to many straight lines and angles. To each their own as all generations are great cars in their own right. Ive always been a huge fan of the GEN I/II design and will most likely never get rid of my '01. Love. That. Car.

agree... the Gen2's are what got me into these cars 15 years ago. I moved up to a Gen3, then a Gen4 coupe and thought is was natural progression to do so. But in the end, it wasn't. Hated the G3 Liked the G4, but didn't have "the" look the Gen2 did....

No doubt the Gen5 is a sweet car.. But I just prefer the old school, throttle cable, no frills, rough riding, Gen2. LOL.

Saying Gen2's are "outdated" is like saying a 67 Big Block Corvette is "outdated". yes, they are... so...?

Bill Pemberton
10-20-2014, 03:32 PM
At the 5th Annual Viper Rendezvous ( held at MPH - Motorsports Park Hastings ) this past June , Graham Henckel brought down a 2014 from Detroit for the event. My ACR fried a rear O2 sensor and we did not find it till after the event ( car was in limp mode during the event) , but Graham graciously asked if I wanted to run the White ( base ) SRT for the autocross and the Time Trials. I did a bit of both, but since Dodge brought the car down for folks to drive with Graham, I only did the autocross and one session on the track. My impression, driving the car at speed, was almost the same as that of Bob Woodhouse ( he drug his WC Comp Coupe up from Ft. Worth to run in the event) - Holy Crap the DNA is all there and more!! I assumed Bob would know what the new car would do, since he has a gorgeous GTS Blue GTS, but with the Comp Coupe to take to the track, he had never gotten the Gen V on a road course. We both hammered the thing to death, and Graham let folks drive the car all afternoon ( never took a break except to get fuel ) and the tires ( stock P Zeroes) held up , the brakes never faded ( stock rotors ) and no one even got off course. The car is still all Viper, but with all the nannie devices off I could not believe how neutral the machine was. We all wanted to get a petition together and ask Randy Pobst what we did wrong, since the car was beat on all day, and no one felt any brake fade, ha - and that was with a Viper Cup driver and past World Challenger pilot ( Meester Bobby Woodhouse ) zipping around the course. The thing that it instilled in me is that the SRT Driving Experience needs to go back to driving Vipers. Do what Ford did with the Boss 302 and have everyone go to Miller Motorsports Park or somewhere else where an off track excursion just raises alot of dust , because the Gen V needs to be run on a road course. I love my ACR,it is a race car for the street, but driving the bone stock SRT that day in June told me that the new Snake not only has lost little DNA , it is probably the most competent Viper for the track ever. Put some sticky tires on the beast, do a competitive alignment, maybe add an MCS suspension and some better pads and it will be a track monster. We seem to forget that the TA outran the ACR at Laguna , albeit by only a little, but it was also on the Pirelli Corsas. This is a much better tire for the average Viper buyer, as it is darn good at the track, but you can drive there and not worry if it rains on the way home. Not a good option if on Pilot Sport Cups, but with more tread and designed to be more user friendly it is a great DOT compromise tire, but it will be a bit slower. The fact that the car went faster, only means that with a set of Hoosiers ,etc. the Gen V will be wicked. I ran a bunch of laps, very competitive with folks on stickier rubber and am convinced this new Snake is beyond stellar and so good in this enviroment that Dodge/SRT needs to make them available for everyone to drive on track --when someone as well known as Bob Woodhouse is shocked by the track prowess, it lends credibility that just driving it on the street only gives one half an idea what the new car will do. When the first previews and write ups came out ,everyone was glowing, said the car was spectacular on the track, until the Pobst fiasco ( obviously some things were poorly done such as the alignment issue ,etc with the test car ) and then it seemed it was more fashionable to bring up the old biases. The thing that smacks weird, is that we had Gen 1 to Gen IV owners driving the Gen V at the Hastings track and every single one of us flipped out. 15 or more drivers and not one off track , and many turned off the traction control and more. The seats may be sourced from Italy, but this is no Guccimobile - nicer seats did not turn a Harley into a Honda, and the same can be said for a Gen V. As more and more track theirs , I really think this will come out. I came awfully close to trading in my ACR for a white Trackpack SRT we got in trade and if not for some family concerns right now, pretty sure it would be in my garage. I would not have said that prior to the track time, as I liked it alot from just driving a V at Chelsea - but the track time sucked me in and has me thinking it might be time to trade up?

v10enomous
10-20-2014, 03:48 PM
Yeah... Pobst and Motor Trend pulled out all the stops to find fault with the GenV. Reading even their pony car comparos with the Challenger, Camaro and Mustang they will always find a way for GM to win by focusing on the strengths of the GM car and the weaknesses of the others. They could find a way to make a base C7 look more awesome than the 918, Adventador and Huracan all put together... haha From a totally selfish perspective the only good thing I'll say about Motor Trend IMO is they are responsible for putting my ass in the seat of a new GenV sooner than I had ever imagined. But let's not go here again... hehe

GreenVenom
10-20-2014, 04:03 PM
3 generations side view

TrackAire
10-20-2014, 05:46 PM
3 generations side view

That is a great comparison photo.

Gen 2, 3/4 Coupe and Gen 5 are all pretty awesome in their own right. I agree with ViperTony on this one fact:

"This is the exact reaction I had when I saw the GenV at the unveiling in NY. Beautiful but it didn't shake my soul. The GTS-R, on other than hand, yes."

My first concern about a vehicle is looks, with enough money anything can be made fast. The two spots I think can be improved on the Gen 5 is the front end and the height of the fender in relation from the top of the wheel arch to the top of the fender peak. To me, it just seems too tall and you'll notice that Gen 2 and Gen 3/4 have less fender from the top of the wheel arch to the top of the fender. Again, just my opinion and others may love that look. But, I would love to see the Gen 5 ACR with a little more aggressive front end and lower fender peak height.

At the VOA in Detroit, I spent a lot of time looking at the cars in the parking lot, comparing Gen 2 coupes, Gen 4 coupes and Gen 5's. It was pretty cool to go down to the parking lot at 2:00 am and stroll around looking at the cars from different angles, etc. In the end, I really liked all 3 body types and find merit in all three with their differences and unique looks.

I drove to and from the Frankenmuth event in a rental car. Driving their and back, I got passed by tons of Vipers of every generation. I loved watching the Vipers come up from behind in my rear view mirror, all looked awesome, but I must admit, there was only one that made my pulse race a little higher, grip the wheel a little harder and turn up the classic rock station a little louder. And that car was the Gen 4 ACR. Seeing Gen 4 ACR's in the rear view mirror over and over again, I couldn't believe how awesome that car looks in motion,.....crazy, just crazy that a street legal car like that could be had from the factory.

Let's hope Dodge gets their "stuff" together and gives us something incredible for the 2015 Gen 5 ACR concept at SEMA.

Cheers,
George

v10enomous
10-20-2014, 06:35 PM
One thing I've noticed is that the Gen2 cars are responsible for the most seller's remorse by far. After putting a little better than a thousand miles on my GenV, I lowered my Gen2 down off the lift for the first time in a couple of months and drove each car to different events over the weekend. Both cars are uniquely awesome and while I love the GenV interior the Gen2 layout with the dash and gauges still has a very slick feel to it. In no way did the GenV experience do anything to make me not appreciate my Gen2 and in fact I appreciate it even more. Agree on Gen4 ACR's looking great coming up from behind especially when they're lowered a little and a ways back... although Gen2 GTS's look pretty sweet in the rear view mirror too. Topless RT/10's are the best looking car to follow. GenV's are best to admire at rest close up.

ViperTony
10-20-2014, 06:39 PM
In no way did the GenV experience do anything to make me not appreciate my Gen2 and in fact I appreciate it even more.

I agree and the Gen2 makes me appreciate the GenV more. It's an interesting love triangle I got going on between the two, LOL. :D

TrackAire
10-20-2014, 06:53 PM
Interesting set of "First World Problems" we have going on here, lol.

commandomatt
10-20-2014, 07:35 PM
The Gen4 ACR vs GenV debate will end with the GenV ACR

Dont know about that. Absolutely looking forward to the GenV ACR (or whatever they may call it) but it will never take away what the Gen IV did a few years back. This is in history and I for one would not want to part with mine. Just like how some people feel about their 1's and II's. It doesnt really matter how good the newer cars get. You just cant replace some of these older generations.

This is what makes these machines so great. Each generation made an impact during their time. That just doesnt go away

sparkrn
10-20-2014, 09:12 PM

Time to move on
Should I just send my gen 2 to the junkyard and move on then?:t0135: