PDA

View Full Version : Kumhos, XGTZ, PS2 swap or sale

Tom, F&L GoR
10-18-2014, 07:06 PM
First, apologies if commenting here is the wrong place- I put up an advertisement, it's approved and I can see it via the link from the moderators, but can't see it via the Classifieds? I assume there is another layer of approval since the images are yet to be approved.

I bought a '98 that came with nice, pretty new Kumho Ecsta rear 335/35-17s and original MXX3s in the front. I had a set of Michelin PS2s and put those on the car. In my garage I now have pairs of 335/35-17 Kumhos, Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 and bagged/stored Michelin XGTZs and want to make a sell or deal to end up with front 275/40-17s to match some rears. My ideal trade would be to get PS2 fronts for the Kumho rears.

I'm not in a hurry, so can plan ahead to meet you from central New Jersey to Tator's Dodge to Albany to Syracuse. If you're mildly interested, I'm happy to send pictures and date codes.

Granger73
10-21-2014, 05:02 PM
There has been a lot said about dependablity of older tires. I don't totally agree. I think there are several factors that determine usability of older tires. I had several Vette's with 30-35 year old NOS tires and never had an issue. Certainly wouldn't use them at the track, but for trips under 50-75 miles no complaints. What's been your experience?

Tom, F&L GoR
10-22-2014, 09:53 PM
When I bought my '94 in 1998 the 18" wheels were just coming out. People were dumping their 17"tire/wheels at good prices so they could "upgrade" and I picked up 3 sets of 17" rims and even more sets of tires for good prices. Put them in a plastic bag, keep them in the garage in the shade, pulled them out as needed. They didn't have cracks, didn't seem any harder when cold. Working in a chemical company that develops additives for plastics, rubber, lubricants, etc I see that most aging of polymers is from sunlight or heat cycles, not from age. So my tires were pretty well stored.

My '94 had 146,000 miles before I let it go, so I used up all the tires I got cheap and then some. I simply miscalculated the front to rear wear ratio and ended up with a pair of rear XGTZs left over. For commuting, they were really good.

I also have experience with improperly stored tires. One tire under the back porch was not in a bag and in the sun every midday (for ~12 years). There are cracks through a fairly good tread shoulder and I would not trust it to even hold air.

The other difference that goes unspoken is the construction. XGTZs had very flexible sidewalls and I think you had to get used to throwing it into a turn and waiting for the sidewall to roll and then get traction. Later MXX3 tires had stiff sidewalls and felt much more direct. I think the new PS2s are back to flexi-walls. Consequently, I would not run different "model" tires front and back, which is why I am looking for Kumho fronts to match my Kumho rears or PS2 fronts to match my PS2 rears.

Tom, F&L GoR
12-19-2014, 09:32 PM
Bumpity bump. Have deals going to acquire 18" wheels/tires, so the Kumho Ecsta rear 335/35-17s are definitely for sale. Delivery from ~Syracuse to Tator's Dodge to ~Plainfield, NJ possible. In the classifieds.