PDA

View Full Version : The Mother of All "How to Remove Swirls from Your Viper's Paint!"

Junkman2008
11-17-2013, 03:02 AM
Hey boys and girls, I accidentally deleted these videos from my Youtube channel but someone had saved them and sent them back to me. I combined all of those videos into one video and that is what this tread is all about.

I would have never known that those videos were gone until a LOT of people started asking about them. I didn't realize how popular they still are given how old they are but after going through and editing annotations within them, I realized that the information contained within them is just as relevant today as it was back then. So I am going to post that video here for everyone to enjoy and partake in the knowledge being offered.

If you have been apprehensive about putting a polisher on your paint, this video is definitely one you want to watch. I break this process down to grade school level and if you can't successfully fix your paint with a machine after watching this video, you never tried. I guarantee that you will have success if you do what I show in this video and the video will prove that too you. All you have to do is watch and take notes.

There is no discount codes, special offers or product list associated with this video as there are A TON of different products that you can use to do what I do in this video. Some of you will have products sitting in your garages right now that will more than work. Some of you may have even purchased products that didn't work for you, despite praise from other folks. It could be the product or it might be YOU. This video is going to answer that question for you.

So get your pen and paper ready, cook some popcorn and kick up your feet. The learning starts when you click the play button.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JTxGf2Lvp4

Here are your before and after shots, which won't make a lot of sense until you have watched the videos, especially when you see how the number "2" ended up in the paint!

BEFORE...

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh216/Junkman2008/paint_damage3_zpsebd5ce84.jpg

AFTER!

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh216/Junkman2008/paint_damage4_zps02292e4e.jpg

Enjoy!

BlknBlu
11-17-2013, 08:36 AM
A big Welcome to the Junkman on the VOA. I have been following his advice for a few years and the paint of my vehicles has never looked better.

Welcome

Bruce

golfer15
11-17-2013, 09:09 AM
A big Welcome to the Junkman on the VOA. I have been following his advice for a few years and the paint of my vehicles has never looked better.

Welcome

Bruce

I as well, have listened carefully to Junkmans tips!! People comment quite regularly on how the cars look!!

Torquemonster06
11-17-2013, 09:31 AM
So glad you made it over Junkman. Looking forward to your future videos and paint advice.

Leslie
11-17-2013, 09:38 AM
Junkman ROCKS!!!

He needs to be able do more than one video on a post:)

Viper Girl
11-17-2013, 10:08 AM
The Video issue is post related... once he has X# of posts he can add more links.

Welcome to here Junkman!

Space Truckin
11-17-2013, 10:45 AM
Junkman, you rock!!!

:dude3:

ACRucrazy
11-17-2013, 11:21 AM
Oh man. I can't wait to watch these.

Ninjakris
11-17-2013, 02:08 PM
Welcome to the site junkman. I also have been following your tips, and my car wouldn't look like it does without your guidance.

Junkman2008
11-17-2013, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome ladies and gents! And thanks for the heads up on the post count for videos Viper Girl. I shall get to posting and fixing that situation right away!

Detroit Muscle
02-10-2014, 11:20 PM
Looks like I have some equipment to buy.

Victxv10
02-11-2014, 07:30 AM
Glad to see Junkman here!!

KRATEDISEASE
02-11-2014, 09:36 AM
I love you Junkman !! thanks for the videos. You are a star !!

by the way, you got a lot of junk laying around in the background.

Junkman2008
02-12-2014, 02:59 AM
Thank you ladies and gents. I have some new videos in the can that I will be uploading soon. :)

A2008
02-12-2014, 07:30 AM
OK Junkman: Gotta know. Did you break down and get a Viper ( your Avatar) ???? Not that there's anything wrong with your Corvette!

LeakyGasket
02-12-2014, 10:16 AM
Man, this is like taking a college course. Hope there is no final!!

Good info. Thanks.

Junkman2008
02-13-2014, 12:40 AM
OK Junkman: Gotta know. Did you break down and get a Viper ( your Avatar) ???? Not that there's anything wrong with your Corvette!

lol! No, I was politely informed that only Viper avatars are allowed here. :)

Man, this is like taking a college course. Hope there is no final!!

Good info. Thanks.

It shouldn't seem like a lot of information, it should seem like common sense. Once you have watched each video multiple times, what you need to do to fix your paint should become a very logical process. Like I say in the videos, it's definitely not rocket science but you are NOT going to retain everything you hear me say and see me do by watching these videos only once. They take multiple sittings.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh216/Junkman2008/Smileys/ranger.gif

NMviperguy
07-19-2015, 11:26 PM
Looks like I have some equipment to buy.
I'm a year late to the party but totally agree. I love that you name off every item needed and brand. I hate watching video's that don't give exact product names, I'm watching cause I obviously don't know or I wouldn't be watching. Thank you Junkman. I am subscribing to you and have a lot of video's to catch up on.

G37Sam
07-20-2015, 12:52 AM
Can a moderator merge the first few posts please? This is amazing info right here!

Junkman2008
07-21-2015, 07:02 AM
I'm a year late to the party but totally agree. I love that you name off every item needed and brand. I hate watching video's that don't give exact product names, I'm watching cause I obviously don't know or I wouldn't be watching. Thank you Junkman. I am subscribing to you and have a lot of video's to catch up on.

Thanks for watching. :)

Phunny
09-02-2015, 11:14 AM
Great videos but I can't seem to find the compound anywhere and they have a ton to choose from. Can you let us know what you are currently using?

Junkman2008
09-04-2015, 01:25 PM
Great videos but I can't seem to find the compound anywhere and they have a ton to choose from. Can you let us know what you are currently using?

There ain't a Pep Boys or Auto Zone that doesn't carry the polish/compound that I used in these videos. As for the other stuff, I say where to find those items in the videos. You just have to watch them and take notes.

2Luke2
09-21-2015, 05:38 PM
Thank you Junkman :) Awesome videos.

Phunny
09-21-2015, 06:56 PM
We don't have a pep boys and autozone doesnt carry it but I did find that Harbor Freight does, no idea why though.

1ststrike
09-21-2015, 06:57 PM
Junkman is a genius!

Junkman2008
09-21-2015, 07:33 PM
Thanks for watching gents. http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh216/Junkman2008/Smileys/tiphat-1.gif

ACR
09-22-2015, 02:46 AM
Junkman excellent series. Regrading towels, have you found cheaper alternatives to the Blonde? The Rag Company is local to me. What should I get from them?

Vprbite
09-22-2015, 11:55 PM
I will actually be buying an orbital soon. I was scared to but junkman has a video where he lets his 10 year old daughter at his car with an orbital. So, I figured if she isn't scared of it, perhaps I shouldn't be.

Thanks for the videos, as always. I will carefully watch them later.

Slithr
09-23-2015, 08:59 AM
Junkman excellent series. Regrading towels, have you found cheaper alternatives to the Blonde? The Rag Company is local to me. What should I get from them?

ACR, check out this thread JM posted telling us of the best detailing towels from the Rag Co.

http://driveviper.com/forums/threads/2441-The-Best-Detailing-Towels-for-Pennies-on-the-Dollar!

ACR
09-23-2015, 10:41 PM
ACR, check out this thread JM posted telling us of the best detailing towels from the Rag Co.

http://driveviper.com/forums/threads/2441-The-Best-Detailing-Towels-for-Pennies-on-the-Dollar!

Thanks!

Junkman2008
09-24-2015, 12:14 AM
I will actually be buying an orbital soon. I was scared to but junkman has a video where he lets his 10 year old daughter at his car with an orbital. So, I figured if she isn't scared of it, perhaps I shouldn't be.

Yes, and she has little noodley girly arms. Surely you can bench press at least 2 of those polishers. http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh216/Junkman2008/Smileys/lol.gif

Vprbite
09-24-2015, 03:01 AM
I'll start with one and do reps. I wouldn't want to attempt 2 without a spotter. : )

Actually, I grew up with rotary buffers that people regularly burned through paint wih and it built up a fear like electroshock therapy that I now have no reason not to get over with these new orbitals. And products. There are gentler products and aggressive products. So you don't have to go with an ultra aggressive compound if you don't want/need to. Not like it used to be. I look forward to doing some slight correction shortly.

Junkman2008
09-29-2020, 05:15 AM
Let me bump this old thread for the new guys who have joined since they were posted and have never seen these videos. Paint correction made simple. So easy a caveman could do it. The information has not changed in all these years and they are still my most watched videos. :)

Junkman2008
02-07-2021, 09:20 AM
Hey everyone, the videos that were originally in my initial post were accidentally deleted but I was able to recover them and combine all 5 videos into ONE video. After all these years, people are still watching this video series (they let me know BIG TIME when it disappeared and it has over a million views!). So I have fixed the initial thread and made the series even better by adding annotations to the video. If you can't fix your paint with a machine after watching THIS video, you never tried!

Grcforce327
02-08-2021, 04:22 PM
Hey everyone, the videos that were originally in my initial post were accidentally deleted but I was able to recover them and combine all 5 videos into ONE video. After all these years, people are still watching this video series (they let me know BIG TIME when it disappeared and it has over a million views!). So I have fixed the initial thread and made the series even better by adding annotations to the video. If you can't fix your paint with a machine after watching THIS video, you never tried!

I'm still not understanding the whole process. Maybe you could travel 70mi and demonstrate. 46898

Junkman2008
02-09-2021, 12:07 AM
Are you in Lexington?

Grcforce327
02-09-2021, 11:12 AM
Are you in Lexington?
Yep! Met you over a decade ago at a viper meet just outside Louisville,where you were the star attraction. Recently got back into a viper. Still have the equipment,and made some recent purchases at the Rag Company.

Junkman2008
02-10-2021, 02:42 AM
Yep! Met you over a decade ago at a viper meet just outside Louisville,where you were the star attraction. Recently got back into a viper. Still have the equipment,and made some recent purchases at the Rag Company.

Well first off, that would be SEVENTY-THREE miles! Every time the Wildcats and Cardinals tangle, the TV broadcast love to make that crystal clear! :smilielol:

Yes, I definitely remember that meet! We had a good time and you guys brought out some sweet wheels. Man, once this pandemic is over and the heat comes back, we could always do that again. Just let me know, I'm always game for hanging out with some good car guys!:dancingman::D

Grcforce327
02-10-2021, 06:10 PM
Well first off, that would be SEVENTY-THREE miles! Every time the Wildcats and Cardinals tangle, the TV broadcast love to make that crystal clear! :smilielol:

Yes, I definitely remember that meet! We had a good time and you guys brought out some sweet wheels. Man, once this pandemic is over and the heat comes back, we could always do that again. Just let me know, I'm always game for hanging out with some good car guys!:dancingman::D

Junkman2008
02-11-2021, 12:35 AM
:smilielol::smilielol::smilielol::smilielol::smili elol::smilielol:

Fisher
03-01-2021, 02:27 AM

:t1236:

laney487
01-01-2023, 12:29 AM
Hey Junkman just now seeing this video, going to watch this whole thing and learn to get the swirls out now and start doing your drying with water technique, thanks again..

Junkman2008
01-02-2023, 01:19 AM
Welcome to the swirl-free party. If you have any questions, let me know. I've touched my fair share of Vipers over the years. Here's one that I had to wetsand a scratch out of.

Nothing but a relection of the ceiling left on that puppy. :cool:

gfviperman
01-05-2023, 07:18 PM
Perfect!!!

Junkman2008
01-06-2023, 12:19 AM
It was a good time too. Viper owners are good car guys to hang out with. :D

laney487
01-10-2023, 11:33 PM
WOW well ive watched your video 2x now and it doesnt seem too hard.. i cant even begin to understand why i was so scared to do it, id much rather do it myself now that i know it can be done pretty easily and with time.. i understand why detail shops charge so much with the time involved but it seems like it will be great to of done it myself gives that self satisfaction! ordered all the parts you said to get and the meguirs stuff you was right you cant buy that crap at the store.. what a shame..

Junkman2008
01-11-2023, 03:23 AM
There are faster ways to do this stuff but the catch is, it's way more dangerous to do it the faster way. Since I enjoy spending time with my car, I don't care how long it takes. It's really simple to do if you understand everything you watched and what I said. I take the rocket science out of this stuff because when it comes down to it, it's not rocket science.

laney487
01-13-2023, 09:49 PM
i love my car man dont mind spending the time especially knowing its effective and safe! Got all the stuff in today and looking forward to maybe starting on a rear quarter or trunk a bit tomorrow and see how it goes.. i feel pretty confident. i def wouldnt want to do the fast and not safe way i would be sure to mess it up im good at screwing stuff up! dont mind taking the long and hard way i love my ride!

Junkman2008
01-14-2023, 12:20 AM
Make sure you watch that video again before you start. TAKE NOTES. Also, remember one of the most important things I say about doing this for the first time. Perfect one spot before even thinking about doing the entire car. If you can't fix one spot, there's no need to even bother with the rest of the car. You'll just end up disappointed and frustrated. I have taught kids to do this at car shows and I even allow them to work on MY car.

Junkman2008
01-14-2023, 08:14 PM
For the question about doing tight or small areas on your viper, here's one solution. The 3" pad (technically a 3.5" pad). Now this pad is tricky to use because it will stop rotating and be useless if you apply TOO MUCH PRESSURE. So you have to pay special attention to the amount of pressure than you use in order to ensure that it continually rotates and occilates. It takes a little practice but if the pad isn't rotating AND occilating, you're wasting your time. You won't get any satisfactory results.

The other solution is to do it by hand, which blows. But if you want to address these tight areas by hand, here's a link (https://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys-BUFX_204-Hex-Logic-Applicator/dp/B01IRQZVYS/ref=sr_1_12?crid=XJ9CRLQHN6D7&keywords=3%22+hex+buffing+pads&qid=1673748414&sprefix=3+hex+buffing+pads%2Caps%2C82&sr=8-12) to some pads you can use.

If you would rather use a machine, here's a link (https://www.autogeek.net/lc-ccs-3-inch-cut-polish-finish.html?sku=LC-35-CPFKIT&utm_campaign=16966181887&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=&utm_term=&gclid=CjwKCAiAwomeBhBWEiwAM43YIGXyFTV9rwwdSVqXq9_6 ruG6qzySDm2_Z_i4CDQ4jQP8htsTJk2EWBoCvPwQAvD_BwE) to these pads on Autogeek. They are not the Hex-Logic style that the pictures shows but they will work too. If you can find a 3.5" Hex-Logic version, buy them.. You can also find single pads for compounding or polishing instead of a kit if you look around long enough. The black pad is used to apply wax, although I never use the black pad. I apply wax by hand. Keep in mind that you also must have a 3" back plate (https://www.amazon.com/NovelBee-Sanding-Backing-Plate-Thread/dp/B07VBF2RQS/ref=sr_1_15_sspa?crid=2MT0SEEJPBJ42&keywords=3%22+buffing+backplate&qid=1673750854&sprefix=3+buffing+backplate%2Caps%2C77&sr=8-15-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFFWVc1NjlJUlZIWDYmZ W5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAzMjk0OTdJSVRYRzJXTjNJRTUmZW5jcnl wdGVkQWRJZD1BMDM2ODQ1MDJWRkRZTDNQQ0ZTT0Imd2lkZ2V0T mFtZT1zcF9tdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3R Mb2dDbGljaz10cnVl) to use this size pad.

WARNING!!! Do NOT use these pads on a drill! You will immediately wipe the paint off the car in a instant and be standing there pissed as hell!

laney487
01-15-2023, 09:48 AM
got it! i did get my trunk perfected your video is simple and easy to understand! im just going to spend a couple hours a day and do the car then ill get to them tight spots! looks like you can get about 95% of everything with the 6 inch.. whew boy is it looking great! you dont realize how dull the paint has been until you do this now im going to be the envy of the car meets! so do you like to use the paste wax and apply that after finished or do you like the spray waxes or spray ceramics? ive actually been quite impressed with they hybrid solutions ceramic spray based on tests that project farm did on youtube and have used that on my truck for a year now with nice results.

Junkman2008
01-16-2023, 01:30 AM
Okay, before I answer that question, what do you think wax is for and what does wax do for the appearance of your paint?

laney487
01-16-2023, 10:07 PM
imho i think wax is over-rated and isnt worth the effort from my previous experience, i have used like i said some of the spray waxes and stuff and seen it has helped with water beading, however after doing this polishing the water is proly going to bead awesome now anyways. Not sure i beleive the hype that the wax somehow protects the paint, because i feel like it is too easy to end up just dulling and scratching the surface again using wax,(i have seen good ole hand wax used on old pickups with dull paint and the wax did make it shine more) but wanted your opinion if i should apply anything to it or just wash it and be happy, i typically wash the car every week, i live in a dry dusty environment, (west texas)

Junkman2008
01-17-2023, 01:18 AM
Okay, so your response tells me that you really don't understand what a TRUE wax/sealant is used for. First off, rubbing mashed potatoes on a old, rusty dull truck will make the paint shine because of ONE REASON.

Rubbing ANYTHING on dull paint will make it somewhat shine because the act of rubbing something is the same exact thing as the act of POLISHING.

POLISHING is what makes paint shine. WAX IS A PROTECTANT. If you polish your paint to what you think is perfection and then apply some wax which causes it to shine more, then you were never done POLISHING it! I had a video posted for about 8-years where I challenged any detailer on Youtube to prove that statement wrong and NO ONE ever took up that challenge. The reason why is any detailer that knows his or her stuff, KNOWS this is true. You polish your paint to perfection and THEN you add your wax and/or sealant to PROTECT the shine that you have just achieved from polishing it. It is NOT for making te paint look any better or different than it already does because WAX IS A PROTECTANT, NOT A APPEARANCE ENHANCER.

Now here's the eception to that rule. There are products that lazy detailers use called AIO's (All In ONE's). These are products that contain POLISH AND WAX. They are used to do what you are doing right now, but limit the process to ONE STEP. So the product is supposed to compound, polish and protect the paint in ONE STEP.

THEY ARE GARBAGE PRODUCTS.

Detailers will use them to get your car in and out of the shop very fast without really doing the work that you are paying them to do. Or, they will charge you a cheap price and your car will look good for just a few washes and after that, the old damage starts to show back up. That's because they hid that damage using an AIO product that contains a GLAZE. A glaze does not REPAIR paint damage, it is used to HIDE paint damage. After a few washes, all that damage shows back up again. That's why I NEVER USE A GLAZE or any type of AIO product.

So I have said what a WAX and/or sealant is used for but what YOU need to see is some wax/sealant in action. This video shows WHY you must protect the shine that you have achieved from polishing before something gets on the paint and etches right through and into clear coat. Once that happenes, you're talking about wet sanding or a paint job, neither of which you don't even want to think about. Your paint is butt naked right now and is as vunerable as it can be to damage. If a bird was to poop on your naked paint and you didn't remove it RIGHT AWAY, that spot will forever be etched into your clear coat. Hard water stains and bird poop are deadly to your paint. So are bug guts. You don't go to sleep with that stuff on naked paint unless you want to always be able to see those stains until you repaint the car.

Here is a picture of my car without ONE DROP of wax. Once I added my protection, the paint didn't look any different because a TRUE wax is a PROTECTANT, not a shine enhancement product. Also notice how deep the shine is. People who know nothing about Corvettes would ask me if it was new. This car is 22-years old.

Here's how I protect my shine. Pay attention to the products that my annotations say that I use now, not what I show in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro4cRCMwVmI

laney487
01-17-2023, 10:11 PM
Wow Junkman you have educated me! boy i was taught wrong by the guy who taught me to detail when i was 16 lol.. my cars always look good but not as great as yours i ordered the products you notated.. just so im right you use the porter cable to put that on right, which pad? and just a quick cross hitch pass correct? then the wax do you just put it on by hand then with a applicator sponge? or do you have a video for that too that im not seeing lol?

Junkman you have educated me so much.. golly now i gotta do my power wagon after i get the viper done! i am going to be busy till spring for sure!

Junkman2008
01-18-2023, 12:22 AM
I apply both my sealant and my carnuba paste wax by hand. You can use the PC to apply the sealant but you won't be able to get into the tight areas. You also won't get a even coverage, especially since you have never done it that way before. If you did apply the sealant using a PC, you would use the dark gray pad but again, I would advise against doing that. Do it by hand. Keep in mind that you CANNOT expose the car to any weather while doing the waxing process as I describe so the car will have to be garaged for the entire process. You DON'T want any dust settling on the car but DO NOT cover it, especially during the sealant curing process if you use a sealant. Make sure that you READ THE BOTTLE. It will have instructions on it.

You are about to go down a rabbit hole. It's deep, but common sense will keep you from getting lost. If someone gives you detailing advice but cannot explain the logic/theory behind that advice, don't follow their advice. They are just repeating what they have heard and probably are repeating it incorrectly. Nothing about detailing is rocket science. It really is just common sense.