PDA

View Full Version : Best tire for Gen IV street use

HobokenViper
10-15-2014, 07:22 PM
So this may have been addressed before, but I have not found the thread. I need to purchase new tires in the near future for my Gen IV and was wondering what the best tires are to pick up and why. I know there are only a handful of options and everyone will have their opinions, so I'm curious to hear what the general consensus is and reasons why.

Just found Pilot Super Sports for sale on Tirerack.com for $242 per front tire and $427 per rear tire and is the cheapest set for sale on the site for the Viper. Is this their normal pricing, or is it a steal worth picking up now if it's a great deal for spring installation?

XSnake
10-15-2014, 07:33 PM
Supersports are the choice

Bluecoupe
10-15-2014, 07:48 PM
Yep, PSS are the way to go. Check with Jon B for price, he's da man!

SA Heat
10-15-2014, 07:55 PM
It's disappointing Michelin won't make the PSS in 295/30-18.

01sapphirebob
10-15-2014, 08:24 PM
I went with the pilot super sports as well for my GEN IV

BlknBlu
10-15-2014, 08:44 PM
Yes street use the PSS get about another 10k in milage over the PS2, but for occasional track use the PS2 is a bit stickier than a PSS.

you cant go worng with either.

Bruce

SNKBYT
10-15-2014, 09:48 PM
Best tire for the street is the Pirelli, if you don't mind the price. These are great street tires that work well on the track as well. But pricey!

SlateEd
10-15-2014, 09:54 PM
I would seriously consider the PS2 in the same conversation as the PSS if the prices are close... I think you would probably need to replace whatever set you buy because of it's age before wearing them out (so the longer tread-life on PSS is probably irrelevant). with that in mind, my personal impression after changing to PSS = the PS2s were slightly softer, marginally more comfortable ride, marginally more sticky.

Vprbite
10-15-2014, 10:14 PM
I thought the PS2 was phased out and no longer available. That the PSS was its evolution. Either way I really like the PSS. And recently Jon B had a killer deal on PSS.

Nine Ball
10-16-2014, 04:05 AM
I've got the PSS on both of my Vipers, but honestly, they are pretty sucky in rain. The Nitto Invo's I used to run on the blue Viper and previous Z06 are better in rain, and ride smoother. The PSS are just better handling, in dry conditions, especially on a road course. For daily driving, with possible rain, I'd go Invo's again.

Vprbite
10-16-2014, 08:21 AM
I've got the PSS on both of my Vipers, but honestly, they are pretty sucky in rain. The Nitto Invo's I used to run on the blue Viper and previous Z06 are better in rain, and ride smoother. The PSS are just better handling, in dry conditions, especially on a road course. For daily driving, with possible rain, I'd go Invo's again.

I personally feel the INVOs take too long to heat up and are squirrely. Though people turn great drag times in them.

Roddy
10-16-2014, 08:34 AM
My PS2's hook VERY nicely.

SNKBYT
10-17-2014, 01:57 PM
I have run three sets of tires on my ACR. The stock cups. Then a set of PS2s, and then the Pirelli Corsa. The Pirelli corsa is the best all around tire. Almost as good as the cups on the track.HPDE (road course) Best of the bunch on the Auto-x course. And great on the street. A little pricey. But this is one tire that can do it all, if your not a serious track rat! If you don't do a lot of miles each year, you will replace due to age before you see the wear bars.

SNKBYT
10-17-2014, 02:00 PM
Hobrokenviper: However, you could buy almost two sets or tires, street and track for the price of the Pirelli Corsa! Especially at the price you found!

SlateEd
10-17-2014, 02:21 PM
...and I know you and I have beat this horse to death, but any set of tires will feel like it's hooking up much better if you dump the 3.73s....

HobokenViper
10-20-2014, 05:30 PM
Ed, I'm giving serious consideration to swapping out the 3.73 at some point as the car is unruly and rather unmanageable for the way I tend to drive it. Plus it doesn't inspire much confidence when you really want to hit it since it's just too much with the current tires at their age. Thinking about going back to stock or 3.55.

So how's the pricing of $242 for each front tire and $427 for each rear tire? Is that a price I should jump on now for the PSS tires or should I wait to order in spring when I'm ready to swap the tires out?

01sapphirebob
10-20-2014, 05:55 PM
Ed, I'm giving serious consideration to swapping out the 3.73 at some point as the car is unruly and rather unmanageable for the way I tend to drive it. Plus it doesn't inspire much confidence when you really want to hit it since it's just too much with the current tires at their age. Thinking about going back to stock or 3.55.

So how's the pricing of $242 for each front tire and $427 for each rear tire? Is that a price I should jump on now for the PSS tires or should I wait to order in spring when I'm ready to swap the tires out?

Jump on them. thats slightly better then what I paid earlier in the year. Its not gonna hurth them to sit in the garage over the winter. :)