PDA

View Full Version : Difficult to shift into reverse Gen 2 rt/10

crackleking
10-09-2014, 07:49 PM
I installed a new IPSCO sts in my 98 rt/10. After installation, I could not shift into reverse with one hand, I had to use both hands. This is with the car running. I went underneath the car while the car was on a lift, and moved the tranny to the left, making sure that the new shifter wasn't going into the tunnel. I got back into the car, and the same thing. I went back into the car and removed the center console, and everything else, and stuck my hand underneath to feel if the sts was touching the tunnel while in reverse. It was not. I then put everything back together, started the car up, and reverse was very easy to go into with one hand. I then drove the car for about an hour, and found out that reverse again was hard to go into with one hand, but not as hard as it was earlier. I called IPSCO and they had no idea why. I called John B. of PartsRack.com and he thought it might be something with the Reverse Lockout Solenoid. ANYBODY out there have any thoughts or suggestions on how to fix this problem or what might be causing it?

Fatboy 18
10-09-2014, 07:58 PM
No idea, sorry. I have a Hurst shifter in my car, it takes a ton of pressure to get the car in reverse, I can do it with one hand but I saw the dyno tech trying to get reverse on my car using two hands.

Tom, F&L GoR
10-09-2014, 08:10 PM
Try it with key off. If it's different, that would say it's something with the reverse solenoid fighting you.

HPmopars
10-09-2014, 09:58 PM
When mine wouldn't go into reverse, it was because the trans mount was split in half and the trans was not centered.

Bugman Jeff
10-10-2014, 10:38 AM
When I first put in my IPSCO, I found it VERY hard to get into reverse(almost two handed). After about a week of driving, either the shifter loosened up a bit, or I got used to it, now it works just fine. For me anyway, I think a big part of the issue was that with the stock shifter, I was used to being able to casually put it in which ever gear you like with almost no effort. With the IPSCO, you have to shift with purpose, especially to get all the way over to reverse. It requires a snappy sideways pull instead of the effortless pull of the stocker.

City
10-10-2014, 10:47 AM
That's why he's called the Wizard. 914 763.3136

crackleking
10-10-2014, 02:15 PM
Thanks for the reply, but after I took it apart, and checked the clearance was fine, and put everything back together, I put it in reverse and it was very easy. After driving about one hour, it then got harder to go into reverse. Not as bad as it had been, but still a struggle.

BlknBlu
10-10-2014, 03:03 PM
Did you look at the tranny mount as previously posted?

Bruce

Dan Cragin
10-11-2014, 12:38 AM
Check the transmission mount. The shifter is hitting the ashtray base in the tunnel.....Or you are having a issue with the reverse lockout (common on Gen 1 models).

crackleking
10-11-2014, 01:28 AM
it is nowhere near the tunnel. I checked when the car is in reverse. I could put my finger in between. I am going to have to check out the reverse lockout.