PDA

View Full Version : AZ Emissions?

Rocket
10-03-2014, 04:36 PM
Thanks in advance for your help. Just moved to the Phoenix area from Iowa - no emissions testing there. Need to pass emissions - or at least understand the game? Details - 2009 Viper, Mopar PCM, Headers, High Flow exhaust, single high flow cat. Do not have the original PCM.

Thoughts, input, ideas and if someone knows the system, how to "game" it?

John

http://driveviper.com/gallery/data/500/medium/2009_Rocket_Viper_12_4_13_037_2_Large_.jpg

Vprbite
10-03-2014, 07:48 PM
Hello and welcome. I hope you join officially as that is a gorgeous car and it's always great to get another member. We are an active club too. We have a drive coming up to the Sedona area (beautiful town right next to a small river about 2 hours from Phoenix. You have probably seen it in TV/Movies as it is known for its beautiful red rocks) and a November drive down here to Tucson that will be awesome, especially awesome cause I am planning it. But I digress, on to your question.

Is your check engine light on? If not, you will pass. When you get to emissions there will be a lane or a couple (depends on the size of the emissions place you go to) for older cars without OBD II. 1995 and older I think. Anyway, you will see signs for 96 and newer lanes. that's where to pull in. Those they just plug a device into your OBD port and start the car. No revving, no sniffer, just the plug in. Takes about 30 seconds. Then they put a gas cap tester on to make sure your gas cap seals. And that's it. So if your check engine light is NOT on, you will pass. I have had high flows on my Vipers, K&N filters, and Never had a problem. HELPFUL TIP: Go the the emissions website. They tell you current wait times in real time and even have webcams so you can see how busy the locations are at any given moment.

Double check with Eddie Martin who is a club member but also one of the most respected Viper Techs in the country. But people heavily mod their vehicles out here and it's usually not a problem. A number of club members are running headers and high flows and some with a more aggressive cam and they don't have issues.

In terms of "gaming the system", Maricopa county and Pima county are the only counties that do emissions testing. So some people register their cars in Flagstaff or Sierra Vista if they have a house there or are close friends with someone who does. However, the law says that the vehicle must be registered wherever you do the majority of your driving. So doing that is illegal, but nearly impossible to prove or enforce. If a cop asks why your registration doesn't match your ID most people say because they just have the car down for the week but usually it's their fun car they leave at their place in Flagstaff or something like that. Again, illegal but tough to enforce. I will leave that one up to you. I don't do it but know plenty of people who do. I even know someone who registers their car to their Mother in Law's house in New Mexico because registration there is a 50 dollar flat fee and no emissions. Much cheaper than here. Actually, if you still have an address in Iowa you could keep it registered there. Out of state plates are super common here and lots of people get away with that because it doesn't draw attention as odd. I have even known people to leave their Vipers registered in the Midwest state that they came from for years because they still owned a house there. Again, technically illegal but can't be proven or enforced. So that is an option too.

Also, there is a way to register your car as a collector car due to the low volume made per year. I think it also has to be insured as such, but that allows for emission exemption. I know people who have done that with their Lotuses. Lotuses, loti...whatever the plural of Lotus is. I will get the details on that and let you know.

I hope this helps and again, welcome to Arizona. I love the coupe rear end on the Vert and the ACR paint scheme. I hope to see you on some drives.

Speedy G
10-03-2014, 10:37 PM
i don't know what jeff wrote, to much for me to read, as long as you don't have a check engine light your good to go, i don't have cats and have a few other mods and as long as you don't have a check engine light you are good to go.

Vprbite
10-03-2014, 11:57 PM
I said that. But he also asked about ways to "game the system" so I explained those. But yes the main fact is if you don't have the check engine light on, you will pass.

That was my first sentence after welcoming him to Arizona.

LeadfootRT10
10-04-2014, 02:22 AM
Yea, Jeff, the book was unnessecary. Your car is newer than 1996, so all they do is check the computer. Also, you may live in a county that doesn't even do the testing. You'll have no problems so long as no check engine light.

Be sure to sign up for the club before the 18th, we're having a cruise and car show that weekend.

FYI, f*ckin' love that paint scheme.....

Vprbite
10-04-2014, 02:43 AM
My books are always necessary.

AZTVR
10-04-2014, 09:36 AM
My books are always necessary.

You have to take into account the attention span of the average Viper owner. 2 sentences is pushing it.

Vprbite
10-04-2014, 09:54 AM
True, but for those willing to invest the 90 seconds they are pure word filled joy.

WhiteSnake
10-04-2014, 03:57 PM
You have to take into account the attention span of the average Viper owner. 2 sentences is pushing it.

Or they fall asleep first. :)

GABOON
10-04-2014, 04:01 PM
Rocket--- if you do encounter problem, could rent you a room up here; 1cent @ month .

WhiteSnake
10-04-2014, 04:17 PM
AZTVR
It's time to come out of retirement. There are some great deals out there on Gen 5's. There is a 2004 Red vert with 1100 miles, yes, 1100 miles, like new at Arrowhead Cadillac. Call Chris Barrett, Internet Sales Manager, 623-329-2481 and tell him Viper Club Pres, Barry, sent you. I bought my Cadillac from him.

WhiteSnake
10-04-2014, 04:19 PM
Rocket--- if you do encounter problem, could rent you a room up here; 1cent @ month .

Rocket, beware of Gaboon. He lives in a tent.

AZTVR
10-04-2014, 04:25 PM
Or they fall asleep first. :)

I am not quite that old yet, myself. Proof = I read his whole post.

AZTVR
It's time to come out of retirement. There are some great deals out there on Gen 5's. There is a 2004 Red vert with 1100 miles, yes, 1100 miles, like new at Arrowhead Cadillac. Call Chris Barrett, Internet Sales Manager, 623-329-2481 and tell him Viper Club Pres, Barry, sent you. I bought my Cadillac from him.

I am having fun with my S2000 at the moment. (Yes, sacrilegious on this forum; but very fun for HPDE days and much less expensive. ) I do occasionally start looking when I see used Gen V talked about or when I see a Gen 2 Coupe driving on the road. They are just way overkill for my current plans. I can't help following the forum; though, so, I acknowledge that I am still infected.

WhiteSnake
10-04-2014, 05:53 PM
I am not quite that old yet, myself. Proof = I read his whole post.

I am having fun with my S2000 at the moment. (Yes, sacrilegious on this forum; but very fun for HPDE days and much less expensive. ) I do occasionally start looking when I see used Gen V talked about or when I see a Gen 2 Coupe driving on the road. They are just way overkill for my current plans. I can't help following the forum; though, so, I acknowledge that I am still infected.

Always happy to see you around the forum. I'm sure your having fun with the S2000. The venom that is in you will always be there. Just a matter of time before you need a new injection. :)

GABOON
10-05-2014, 08:52 AM
Whitesnake, got rid of tent; cardboard box, tuck tape now... i was not talking about room in my box but the room in my 6 room birdhouse, got spare room cause that pain in the ass roadrunner ate the tenant in room 3!

Speedy G
10-05-2014, 04:30 PM
beep beep.....

WhiteSnake
10-06-2014, 01:10 AM
beep beep.....
Hey, Speedy. You now driving your wife's Charger? Beautiful car!

Speedy G
10-06-2014, 11:37 PM
heck ya why you think i talked her into it!!! and it wasn't easy!!!

Rocket
10-06-2014, 11:51 PM
Thanks for all of the info! Out of town this week and will take it to (hopefully) pass emissions next week! Will update with the results.

Based on all of the friendly banter - appears to be a fun group. Sedona trip looks great - am trying to rearrange my schedule to meet the cast of characters!

John

LeadfootRT10
10-07-2014, 12:15 AM
Thanks for all of the info! Out of town this week and will take it to (hopefully) pass emissions next week! Will update with the results.

Based on all of the friendly banter - appears to be a fun group. Sedona trip looks great - am trying to rearrange my schedule to meet the cast of characters!

John

We bust chops, but it's all in good fun. Now get yer sh*t together john and let's go!

WhiteSnake
10-08-2014, 02:37 PM
We bust chops, but it's all in good fun. Now get yer sh*t together john and let's go!
Ya, coming from a young squirt whose DD is a PROBE! :)

Vprbite
10-10-2014, 02:34 AM
Yeah...Leadfoot loves a good probe. In fact, he uses his probe almost every day. The neighbors say you can hear when he is using his probe.

LeadfootRT10
10-10-2014, 02:42 PM
Yeah...Leadfoot loves a good probe. In fact, he uses his probe almost every day. The neighbors say you can hear when he is using his probe.

It is a loud little bastard....

Vprbite
10-10-2014, 10:48 PM
Be careful you don't chip a tooth

Vombomb
02-25-2015, 05:19 PM
Ugh, can't wait to go through this... :furious: Moving down there later this year in the fall... all 4 cats removed. Guess it's an excuse to go full Belanger :P

Vprbite
02-25-2015, 07:22 PM
There is a way to avoid Arizona Emissions. Way number one...don't live in Maricopa or Pima County (the two biggest counties, covers phoenix and Tucson so not sure that is an option.) way number 2. Get your car insured as a collector car and you are then exempt from emissions. Go to our ADEQ website to learn about it.

Vombomb
02-25-2015, 09:11 PM
Will do, thanks for the info. I'll be living in Tucson come Sept... lol

Vprbite
02-25-2015, 09:46 PM
Will do, thanks for the info. I'll be living in Tucson come Sept... lol

Be sure to hit me up. There are a few of us down here. There are some awesome drives around here. This one is just to the west of Tucson.

http://youtu.be/3E2QQKFWa7U

We did a drive out to this area in October. And the club is pretty active. Monthly events.

Vombomb
02-25-2015, 10:26 PM
Good video, watched the rest of yours also *Steppenwolf ftw*, very nice! I can't wait to get out of this constant rain *seattle*! Any good road course tracks down there with decent HPDE events?

Vprbite
02-25-2015, 10:34 PM
Yes. Wild horse pass in phoenix (2hrs or 90 minutes from Tucson depending on what area of Tucson) has a couple tracks and there are constant events out there. The there is INDE out by Willcox (about 90 min from Tucon) is beautiful and NASAAZ will have an event out there in October. Then there is Arrollo Seca in Deming New Mexico (about 2.5 hrs from Tucson). Wild horse will be the busiest of all of them though. Bondurant school is out there.

Vombomb
02-25-2015, 10:39 PM
Nice! I'll contact y'all when I get down there!

LeadfootRT10
02-25-2015, 11:57 PM
Also if your car is 96 or newer all they do is run the codes from your OBDII so as long as your check engine light is off and the system reads good, doesn't matter how bad your exhaust is.