PDA

View Full Version : E-Brake Help!

St.Char
11-15-2013, 11:56 AM
Hey guys, have my e-brake calipers off my 2003, but now trying to figure out how too release the cable. The lever is down, not sure where to go from here. Any thoughts? Thx.

steve911
11-15-2013, 02:26 PM
Hey guys, have my e-brake calipers off my 2003, but now trying to figure out how too release the cable. The lever is down, not sure where to go from here. Any thoughts? Thx.

I replied to your posting on the other site...

Steve A.

St.Char
11-15-2013, 02:29 PM
I replied to your posting on the other site...

Steve A.

Haha...yep! Thanks again!

St.Char
11-16-2013, 10:10 PM
Steve, your suggestion worked out great, finished the dis-assembly today.

Synfull
11-17-2013, 11:12 AM
Hi,
I am in the process of swapping my parking brake pads. Unfortunately I can't get the suckers back on(the cable assembly). I totally removed the cable assembly to bring the caliper to my bench. Maybe I should have left it attached and changed the pads while it was still connected. I can;t get everything to jive up now, the round spring keep jumping off.
Should I assemble the cable, spring assembly to the caliper while it is unattached to the rotor and the mount the whole assembly to the rotor?
If someone could give me a step by step reassembly that would be great!

St.Char
11-17-2013, 01:00 PM
Hi,
I am in the process of swapping my parking brake pads. Unfortunately I can't get the suckers back on(the cable assembly). I totally removed the cable assembly to bring the caliper to my bench. Maybe I should have left it attached and changed the pads while it was still connected. I can;t get everything to jive up now, the round spring keep jumping off.
Should I assemble the cable, spring assembly to the caliper while it is unattached to the rotor and the mount the whole assembly to the rotor?
If someone could give me a step by step reassembly that would be great!

Sounds like you may need to retract the piston, if so, you will need a piston retractor tool. However, I think there may be another way of doing this, maybe someone else can chime in.

From the Manuel,
(1) Using the retractor tool, rotate piston clockwise until the piston is fully seated (bottomed) in the bore.
(2) Install the pads, (outboard and inboard) are identical
(3) Position the spring and then slide the retaining pin through the spring and holes in brake pads.
(4) Install the hair pin in the retaining pin.
(5) Install the caliper onto the knuckle.
(6) Insert the cable through caliper bracket and slide cable housing into caliper bracket.
(7) Then install cable end into the apply lever on caliper.
(8) Grasp the cable between cable housing and apply lever and pull outward until there is enough slack to install over the pivoting wheel.

I haven't checked yet, but I think you can find the piston retactor at you local auto parts, again someone else may chime in here. Good Luck and post your update!

Synfull
11-17-2013, 04:25 PM
Thanks!!
I got the first side back together. It took me about 1.5 hours. I just did the passenger side in about 20 minutes, at least it would have been 20 minutes if I didn't turn the piston in too much.
Needle nose pliers worked fine for turning the piston in.
I did it without taking the cable off. Just changed the pads while the caliper was still attached and hanging down.
Wish I knew that before I started.

St.Char
11-17-2013, 05:44 PM
Thanks!!
I got the first side back together. It took me about 1.5 hours. I just did the passenger side in about 20 minutes, at least it would have been 20 minutes if I didn't turn the piston in too much.
Needle nose pliers worked fine for turning the piston in.
I did it without taking the cable off. Just changed the pads while the caliper was still attached and hanging down.
Wish I knew that before I started.

:dude3: