PDA

View Full Version : Moral question - the $100 tip thing that hit facebook yesterday

Scot
09-30-2014, 08:09 AM
I am leaving my opinion out for now. :D

Is this bragging or is this spreading the word.

basically the couple had bad service but used to be servers and understood why, since the Resaurant was understaffed... so they left a $100 tip and wrote "we've been in your shoes, pay it forward" and left a $100 tip..... very nice of them.... then posted it on facebook.... it has gone viral now....

by posting it on FB was that bragging or was that spreading the word or was it _____________?

http://www.wtae.com/national/couple-leaves-100-tip-for-horrible-service/28313266?utm_source=hootsuite&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=wtae-tv%2Bpittsburgh

An Iowa couple's kind gesture is going viral.

Makenzie Schultz posted to Facebook over the weekend about the bad service she and her husband experienced at a restaurant.

"Took 20 minutes to get water, 40 minutes for an appetizer and over an hour for our entrée. People all around us were making fun of the restaurant and how bad the service was," she wrote.

But the server was juggling 12 tables plus the bar on an obviously short-staffed night.

"I said to Steven, wow, this used to be us. Waiting tables. I don't miss it at all and I never loved that job. I did it for the tips. Steven and I agreed it would feel good to make this guy's night when he would probably be getting minimal to no tips due to slow service," Schultz wrote.

Schultz posted a photo of their receipt from the night, with a $100 tip and a note about "paying it forward." They left before their server could notice.

Since Saturday, the post has gotten more than 1.2 million likes on Facebook.

Read more: http://www.wtae.com/national/couple-leaves-100-tip-for-horrible-service/28313266#ixzz3EnpRbBCl

ViperSmith
09-30-2014, 09:09 AM
What are you supposed to pay forward? I don't get it.

I tip very well, but I am not tipping well for poor service no matter what the reason.

LeakyGasket
09-30-2014, 09:21 AM
"Somewhere" it says to not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing.

ViperTony
09-30-2014, 09:28 AM
Seemed like a nice gesture. I tend to leave generous tips as well in these situations. I understand. If anyone has worked in the food service industry you customers suck on a good day, even worse when the kitchen is backed up. Not sure how it's bragging, people post all kinds of stuff on their FB pages every day. I'd rather read about a $100 tip as opposed to someone posting how their fat ass doesn't fit into their favorite pair of jeans anymore.

Nine Ball
09-30-2014, 10:10 AM
Having worked in the restaurant industry from age 15 to 23, as a waiter, bartender, and manager, I feel everyone should be forced to work in a restaurant before they are allowed to eat in one. Many people think "Waiters get minimum wage, I don't have to tip". That is completely false, it is actually just $2.13/hr that the restaurant has to pay them. This is also what you get paid for that hour spent before the shift to set things up, and also the wage you get paid when you have to spend the hour after the shift, cleaning the kitchen, bathrooms, floors, etc.. So, waiting tables is dependent on tips. I don't tip shitty service, and I tell them why. But, there is a difference between someone being in the weeds and slammed without help, busting their ass, vs someone who is just lazy as hell and comes back to your table smelling like a cigarette. I reward hard work. Some customers just suck. If you are too cheap to tip, stay at home!

Tony

bluesrt
09-30-2014, 10:37 AM
they just wanted attention

Brad00GTS
09-30-2014, 12:17 PM
Having worked in the restaurant industry from age 15 to 23, as a waiter, bartender, and manager, I feel everyone should be forced to work in a restaurant before they are allowed to eat in one. Many people think "Waiters get minimum wage, I don't have to tip". That is completely false, it is actually just $2.13/hr that the restaurant has to pay them. This is also what you get paid for that hour spent before the shift to set things up, and also the wage you get paid when you have to spend the hour after the shift, cleaning the kitchen, bathrooms, floors, etc.. So, waiting tables is dependent on tips. I don't tip shitty service, and I tell them why. But, there is a difference between someone being in the weeds and slammed without help, busting their ass, vs someone who is just lazy as hell and comes back to your table smelling like a cigarette. I reward hard work. Some customers just suck. If you are too cheap to tip, stay at home!

Tony

Not every State is the same. In California everyone makes minimum wage, so your server in Cali is making at least $8 an hour, so I do expect them to at least be cordial and do their job.

Roddy
10-24-2014, 10:54 AM
They were laundering their drug money I'd say...... :witless:

Uncle Paul
10-24-2014, 04:55 PM
So many times you later find out that people are setting these media things up to get their 15 minutes of fame. Later find out it was all staged to get the attention. Getting jaded.

Do not know if this is the case here.

Vprbite
10-24-2014, 07:15 PM
It may be bragging, but if it helps people do the right thing then I am ok with it.

dadstoy
11-08-2014, 12:31 PM
Also worked for tips in High School. Because of that I do usually tip in the 20%-25% range if the service is at a minimum good. I don't discount for things out of the servers control like kitchen slowness. My daughter received a $400 tip when she was 18 working in a restaurant. She left her mothers to come stay with me. Her mother reported her as a run away and was on local TV news. The couple who tipped her, had seen her on the news and did it because they thought she needed it. She told them no and even had the manager tell them it was not needed but they gave it to her anyways. Nice couple, they did not post on facebook, they just made a very nice gesture to help someone they thought needed it.