PDA

View Full Version : For Those That Collect All Things Viper, and Aviation Enthusiasts

Vprbite
09-25-2014, 10:22 PM
I picked up this model of the AH-1Z Viper Attack Helicopter. I figured I would put it with some of my other Viper models. This is the only Die Cast I have that isn't a car but, hey, it's called a Viper and it's the fastest Attack Helo out there so I figured it belonged in the collection. The detail on it is fantastic. The engine bays open up, all the weapons detach and the FLIR and front gun move too. Surprising realism for a Die Cast that is tough enough to be played with. I mean, I assume. I didn't play my own version of that Top Gear episode and have the helicopter chase the model of my car around while laying on the floor. Cause that would be ridiculous. But I assume one could do that, if one were so inclined. And I also assume it would be so much fun! I...ahem...assume. Here are some pics.

Shooter
09-25-2014, 11:17 PM
Um. Isn't that a Super Cobra? Same as the Marines also have a variant of the Super Huey called.....Venom :)

Vprbite
09-25-2014, 11:29 PM
Super cobras were upgraded to the 1Z variant. Some were upgraded, some were built on new airframes. 4 rotors instead of 2 and a bearingless rotor system, a few other changes to improve on the design. At least as I understand it. Smaller and faster than the apache. Not as long range as the apache, and I don't think they have the longbow radar capacity, though I believe the idea was floated, but they didn't go through with it. But yes it was based on the super cobra so it does look very similar. AH-1W supercobra was upgraded to the AH-1Z per the Zulu Cobra H-1 upgrade program. Some of them built on new airframes but I don't think you could tell from a photo.

Fatboy 18
09-26-2014, 03:13 AM
Nice, I would not want one of those bad boys coming after me!