PDA

View Full Version : Gen II Creampuff on the Dyno

Fatboy 18
09-24-2014, 05:23 PM
Had a fun day Sunday Last at JF Automotive in Kent, England, Some of the Gumball 3000 cars were present and we put the Viper on the dyno for a bit of fun Enjoy :)

Car has now done 71k, BTR K&N Cone air filters, new Champion Spark plugs, Belanger 3" Cat Back and Full de-cat running factory headers, Mopar performance 8.5 plug wires ;)
Fuel: Shell V power

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnWVjd_vqeQ

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3920/15322447126_2d717935cb_b.jpg

We had to use some extra 4 x 2s to get the car up the ramps :)
https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2943/15158055919_628fd1eb09_c.jpg

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3864/15158118520_a945d99834_c.jpg

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2942/15341653741_2faa515d81_c.jpg

99RT10
09-24-2014, 05:34 PM
How is the torque that high on a near stock car? Those UK dynos are great for numbers............... :D

Fatboy 18
09-24-2014, 05:45 PM
How is hte torque that high on a near stock car? Those UK dynos are great for numbers............... :D Its in Newton Meters, Not Foot Lbs ;)

684 Newton meters = 504 Ft Lbs Torque ;)

So Max Torque was 607 Ft Lbs :)

(All readings relate to RW/HP, NOT Flywheel)

thetalonguy
09-24-2014, 09:13 PM
Awesome...just saw your car on Wheelers and Dealers for the first a couple of mins ago. Congrats!

slowhatch
09-25-2014, 10:02 AM
Awesome...just saw your car on Wheelers and Dealers for the first a couple of mins ago. Congrats!

Same, I didn't just put two and two together till just now, didn't realize that was him at that cruise-in. Awesome!!

98intrigue
09-25-2014, 10:28 AM
What happened to the torque? It seems to fall off very quickly.

Fatboy 18
09-25-2014, 11:56 AM
What happened to the torque? It seems to fall off very quickly.

Im not sure, If you watch the Video I think the wheels slip on the rolling road on the second pull?

Sorry to say Dyno figures don't mean much to me, I don't understand all the numbers :( The good thing is the car made a great noise and nothing broke :D

The other dyno I have been on is called a Dynojet ( It measures flywheel and rear wheel figures), from what I understand this one just measures everything at the rear wheel?

Hopefully some one with more knowledge will chime in?

What I also don't understand is the operator of the Dyno can make adjustments to the figures after a pull has been taken? So I was first told 405 rear wheel HP then the operator came over again and said 415? So that really confused me?

MADMAX
09-25-2014, 12:27 PM
Nice one Mark :) - looked like a great day and nuffin suspicious comin out the zorst :) - very good :) problem sorted with the catch can me thinks.

Fatboy 18
09-25-2014, 01:37 PM
Nice one Mark :) - looked like a great day and nuffin suspicious comin out the zorst :) - very good :) problem sorted with the catch can me thinks.Yea, exactly, I'm very pleased with the catch can, Its amazing how much it collects!

Will have to do a compression test and Leak Down to see if there is excess crankcase pressure aiding the Oil into the can?

Steve M
09-25-2014, 04:19 PM
Im not sure, If you watch the Video I think the wheels slip on the rolling road on the second pull?

Sorry to say Dyno figures don't mean much to me, I don't understand all the numbers :( The good thing is the car made a great noise and nothing broke :D

The other dyno I have been on is called a Dynojet ( It measures flywheel and rear wheel figures), from what I understand this one just measures everything at the rear wheel?

Hopefully some one with more knowledge will chime in?

What I also don't understand is the operator of the Dyno can make adjustments to the figures after a pull has been taken? So I was first told 405 rear wheel HP then the operator came over again and said 415? So that really confused me?

Likely a correction factor - SAE and STD are the two most common. Essentially, it makes for an apples to apples (well, as close as you can get to one) comparison by using a correction factor to take into account the actual weather conditions of that day and compare it to a standard set of conditions (SAE and STD are two of those standards). Basically, it makes it easier to bench race your results, even though anyone that knows anything about dyno results knows you can't compare dyno results from two different cars to each other unless you were there on the same day at the same time. Yet people do it anyway. There are plenty of examples on this very forum actually.

And chassis dynos can only measure torque at the rear wheels...HP at the wheels and the crank can be derived from those numbers, but aren't measured directly.

Fatboy 18
09-25-2014, 05:25 PM
Thank you for the information :)

So are the figures any good? Would that be the expected numbers?

Steve M
09-26-2014, 07:48 AM
I wouldn't trust the torque numbers...those are unreasonably high for your mods, and appears to be a spike on the graph that would suggest something weird was going on. The HP numbers seem in line with what I'd expect to see from a bolt-on Gen II though.

Fatboy 18
09-26-2014, 08:02 AM
I wouldn't trust the torque numbers...those are unreasonably high for your mods, and appears to be a spike on the graph that would suggest something weird was going on. The HP numbers seem in line with what I'd expect to see from a bolt-on Gen II though. Thank you Very much for the info ;)

SN95SNAKE
10-26-2014, 02:21 PM
Thank you Very much for the info ;)

I was freaking out about the torque numbers too until I read that it is Newton Meters and not torque.