PDA

View Full Version : A '14 or a '15 ... which is a smarter move?

Dman
09-22-2014, 02:37 PM
So ... my mental treading water exercise at the moment is, shop a '14 at a discount or do a '15.

As we're heading into fall in the mid-atlantic.

I've talked to a few dealers on cars so far regarding '14s.

Examples are, GTSs with the $15k reset on MSRP plus another $13-14K discount, this is on 3 I was interested enough to call about.
For easy math, let's say were all originally priced at $128K (pre 15k reset), now talking about $99K or less, and one hinting he could do better, that was his first discount offer.

On a TA, they're talking in the mid $90s, I didn't push on that one hard, just that they started at $99, I pushed a little and a few grand fell off immediately, so I'm thinking ...

Versus:

If I do a '15, I have a local dealer I talked to Sunday who said he'd order one right now for me, discounted off MSRP no problem. How much, he said we'd have to sit down & I didn't have time yesterday, following up today. But, if I did a TA 2.0 and he did just 5% off, that's like a $99.9k price on a TA 2.0, which seems killer. Or if I did a GT car, in Silver, plus aero, I'm even a little less and in the high $90's. (If I order I want the 5 mode electronic system, so TA or GT)

So, how much of a bargain buy do you think it'd take to make buying a '14 "smart" vs just ordering the '15? God knows I'd love to have the fall to play with it, but in 60-80 days it'll be hibernating for like 3mos.

I kind of feel like if I can do a car for $10k less now than it would be as a '15, then it makes sense, if it's close to what I'd order. I dunno, seems like a tough call since I keep waffling back & forth on this.

When will we see ordered '15s make it to buyers driveways?

Thx

PS - posted this on "both" sites, meant to post here but my browser had me fooled where I was, lol, sorry for those who goto both sites.

Nine Ball
09-22-2014, 03:07 PM
Dodge hasn't officially announced the TA 2.0 pricing yet. Also, the media quoted "base prices" don't reflect the $5K in gas guzzler and destination charges, keep that in mind. There is also a question if TA 1.0 and 2.0 are still both available packages, as some will prefer the shorter spoiler and less aero.

Dodge also doesn't plan to build any more TA's until Dec-Jan time frame, which means you wouldn't see them hit the dealerships until spring next year. They said they would build the SRT and GT's primarily.

When it comes to the Viper, I'd just recommend finding the options/colors that you want, and find the best price. The year doesn't really matter, within the same generation.

Shooter
09-22-2014, 03:22 PM
When it comes to the Viper, I'd just recommend finding the options/colors that you want, and find the best price. The year doesn't really matter, within the same generation.

This. Waiting sucks :)

ViperSmith
09-22-2014, 03:30 PM
Well, we are getting ready to head into deep winter - so in reality the wait isn't bad if you want a '15.

But, you can steal a '13 at this point if that is what you could settle for.

Track Pack
09-22-2014, 03:34 PM
Dman, I feel you. I'm in the same spot with $15k burning a hole in my pocket. There are GTS cars I could literally buy for $60k off the sticker from a month ago. $135k for $99k - 15k = $84k. I've also seen new 2014 nicely optioned/striped GTS for $89,900 that I could buy for $74,900 (unreal). Almost too hard to pass up. TA for $95-99k is also $85k. A new 2015.5 TA 2.0 for $105k - 15k = $90k.

Will be parking my car in about 30 days, so I need to find a deal too good to pass up now to upgrade, otherwise I may as well wait to have all details on 2015. I would presume there would still be some heavily discounted 2013/2014 in the Spring that could be bought for less than ordering... Good problems to have, I guess.. Good luck with your decision.

KickAsp
09-22-2014, 03:47 PM
I say wait for '15's

Policy Limits
09-22-2014, 03:52 PM
12 months. 2016 refresh. Just sayin.

Dman
09-22-2014, 04:24 PM
12 months. 2016 refresh. Just sayin.

Yea, I'm with you, I'm thinking about this.

It makes me want to get one now, I'd feel better about 'upgrading' to a refresh if it were irresistible for '16 if I got a '14 sweet deal now. Versus, if I got a '15 car in spring or later, and then a cool '16 refresh came out, I'd be like I have to wait. May sound silly, but that's how I'm feeling about it in terms of the refresh, it's more motivating to move on something now.

Viper vince
09-22-2014, 04:35 PM
If the 2015's do not sell well will there be a 2016? Sergio may pull the plug.

Track Pack
09-22-2014, 04:49 PM
I'm guessing with the changes made and coupons good thru 2018, there will be a '16.. Plus, if this were it, would it not be smart for them to annouce to really create and get their remaining units sold???? I guess time will tell..

v10enomous
09-22-2014, 05:09 PM
I was counting the days since the NY reveal to buy a Gen5 right. If you want a super loaded GTS then now is the time and there are still some good SRT's out there too. It comes down to your priority. If you are shopping price then buy a 14 now if getting a decent deal on exactly what you want is important then maybe order a 15. You may get lucky and get a great car at a great price now. If you are selling your car then the timing may be a consideration as well.

Coloviper
09-22-2014, 06:31 PM
I am sure the lesson is learned now on flooding the market with cars so new 15'(+future) production will be yearly limited for sure, which means the insane discounts will not be there in the future. Base price has been reset now and I am sure the Viper tax on the option prices are also being evaluated in the process. This is a once in a lifetime desperation scenario move by Dodge to keep the car and to revitalize the brand which it has absolutely done that.

Boys and girls, we will not see this again for the future with Viper. Dodge adds a refresh in 16', maybe a paddle tranny option and a Hellfire option, and we will all have to get in line as with limited production, it will be maddening and we will all wish for the days or yore when the Viper was readily available and at a discount. I say buy now as the discounts are just too good to pass up. The $15,000 is a loyalty coupon. NOT EVERYONE GETS ONE, so when evaluating the actual price of the car, it will just be the adjusted price. The $15k coupon just means you will not be hit with the initial depreciation factor. Get in, drive it and enjoy knowing you probably haven't lost any money in doing so, if you had to sell it.

Bryan Savage
09-22-2014, 07:11 PM
Dodge also doesn't plan to build any more TA's until Dec-Jan time frame, which means you wouldn't see them hit the dealerships until spring next year. They said they would build the SRT and GT's primarily.

I only assume that the TA 2.0 will completely replace the 1.0, and from my home-made spreadsheet, all the 1.0 cars are built, including the Carbon Special Edition TA cars. The limited production run is over, and the next run would be the 2.0. Is that what you're talking about being built in December/January?

Dman
09-22-2014, 08:22 PM
I only assume that the TA 2.0 will completely replace the 1.0, and from my home-made spreadsheet, all the 1.0 cars are built, including the Carbon Special Edition TA cars. The limited production run is over, and the next run would be the 2.0. Is that what you're talking about being built in December/January?

Dude, just have to say .. if there was an Avatar competition, you'd get my vote. Cracked me up. And Armpit, PA. LoL

Track Pack
09-22-2014, 09:13 PM
Great post ColoViper!

99RT10
09-22-2014, 09:49 PM
I say wait for '15's

I say wait for '16!

IndyRon
09-22-2014, 11:06 PM
I say wait for '16!

This....many of us are waiting for the supercharged viper to be revealed.

GasGas
09-22-2014, 11:57 PM
So ... my mental treading water exercise at the moment is, shop a '14 at a discount or do a '15.

So, how much of a bargain buy do you think it'd take to make buying a '14 "smart" vs just ordering the '15? God knows I'd love to have the fall to play with it, but in 60-80 days it'll be hibernating for like 3mos.

From your signature it looks like you shouldn't wait any longer to enjoy a Gen V and at 25% - 30% off the original msrp you are buying smart.

Track Pack
09-23-2014, 02:47 PM
I agree that these (extra discounted) prices may be a short window of opportunity. I wonder how options will be priced for 2015 (stripes, aero, etc.)?

ViperTony
09-23-2014, 07:43 PM
Yea, I'm with you, I'm thinking about this.

It makes me want to get one now, I'd feel better about 'upgrading' to a refresh if it were irresistible for '16 if I got a '14 sweet deal now. Versus, if I got a '15 car in spring or later, and then a cool '16 refresh came out, I'd be like I have to wait. May sound silly, but that's how I'm feeling about it in terms of the refresh, it's more motivating to move on something now.

I'd recommend taking advantage of the '13/'14 discounts available to you now. Get a '13/14 and start enjoying it immediately and at a great price. If/When the 2016 comes out you can trade it towards '16. I don't think the 15's are worth the wait (except for the TA 2.0 and don't get me wrong I love the GenV). Call Pemberton, Call Tomball, etc. make a deal and drive the shit out of it and be happy.