PDA

View Full Version : My COTA event recap w/ photos.

Nine Ball
09-21-2014, 07:26 PM
I just got home from spending the weekend in Viper overdose. I drove the new TA out to Austin on Friday, battling flash-flood weather conditions to get there. It was spooky, but I survived. Met up with several of the Houston VOA members, as well as others that trickled in throughout the state. Even Wayne G drove in from Florida, it was good to finally meet him. Wayne brought a stack of his carbon fiber door sill plates, and most of us bought a pair.

We had BBQ dinner on Friday night, in a famous area for Texas BBQ, in Lockhart. Forks not included. And don't ask for BBQ sauce, either. Great food, even if we had to eat it like cavemen. Evening was spent at the hotel bar, doing what we do.

Saturday, Andy (FLATOUT) and I went to the track (Circuit of The Americas) and watched about an hour of laps, cheering on team SRT and Viper Exchange. Hung out in the SRT hospitality booth, drank free beer, and ate catered lunch. Then we wandered around the track, saw the manufacturer displays, paddocks, pit row, and then watched the last hour of racing. We had great seats on Turn 15, where all the hairpin turns are. Vipers dominated the GTLM class (1st and 2nd place) and Viper Exchange won 1st place in GTD class. As a Viper fan, you couldn't have asked for a better race to attend, watching them win everything. The nearest competitor (Porsche) was waaaaay back, not even giving them a challenge. The two C7 Corvettes placed 9th and 10th. Doh! Congrats Team

I was glad to finally meet Ralph Gilles and his wife, Doris. Two great people, very funny with the jokes and down to earth personalities. We spoke quite a bit out the 5th gen, and the re-ignited spark of sales and popularity of the car. We also chatted some about technical stuff, which was cool to hear some perspectives from those on the inside. Catered fajitas for dinner and some more booze finished the day.

Today we did a run through the Austin hill country, to Marble Falls for a good home-style lunch. I think most of us were already tired from the long weekend! Made for a long and drowsy 4-hr drive home. I did enjoy the 85 mph tollway I-30 that was south of Austin, and experienced some "spirited" runs on open stretches of remote highway. Haha

What a great weekend!

Photos: http://s466.photobucket.com/user/ynotdv8/library/Events/COTA%20Sep%202014

Tony

Whitemamba
09-21-2014, 08:01 PM
Awesome pics. Sounds like you had a great time.

FLATOUT
09-21-2014, 08:06 PM
Great spending time with you as always Tony. I'm watching the race replay right now looking for us in turn 15 lol. BTW love the new car, great buy.

MtnBiker
09-21-2014, 08:30 PM
Great time was had. Enjoyed the photos Tony, thanks.

RPM9000
09-21-2014, 08:43 PM
Great pictures Tony. You got quite a few of my car, thanks!! It was a great weekend all around.

Paul

345s-bspinnin
09-22-2014, 02:51 AM
Thanks for sharing. Sounds like you guys had a great time.

Nine Ball
09-22-2014, 08:31 AM
Corvette fans are crying about their harsh defeat. Like the Viper doesn't have any restrictions, right?

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion/3536010-c7r-why-are-they-losing-to-the-porsche-viper-bmw-etc.html

XSnake
09-22-2014, 08:52 AM
Corvette fans are crying about their harsh defeat. Like the Viper doesn't have any restrictions, right?

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion/3536010-c7r-why-are-they-losing-to-the-porsche-viper-bmw-etc.html

Do they realize they got BOP adjustments before COTA?

FLATOUT
09-22-2014, 08:56 AM
Don't let facts get in the way of a good internet scrap.

Nine Ball
09-22-2014, 09:09 AM
Do they realize they got BOP adjustments before COTA?

I just reminded them. But, I'm thinking the guys crying about it don't even know the rules. They just complain about having a smaller engine, just like in our street car comparisons :)

mjorgensen
09-22-2014, 10:36 AM

Now that was a funny read LOL thanks for sharing Tony.

ViperTony
09-22-2014, 11:48 AM
Now that was a funny read LOL thanks for sharing Tony.

This one got me laughing pretty hard: "As if being forced to run a 5.5 liter wasn't penalty enough" LMAO.

And this:

"Sitting in a paddock suite yesterday surrounded by 50 viper exchange employees and then Ben Keating comes by after his time in the car to say hi, it does make you wonder if the home town favorite has a slight advantage. "

:cool:

daytonprowler
09-22-2014, 12:56 PM
The GM boys better quit worrying/crying about racing and find out how to build a $3 ignition switch.

Are those magnificent C7 Corvettes are still on a sales hold? LOL

Slithr
09-22-2014, 01:00 PM
Tony,

It was great to finally meet you, and always fun to hang out with Andy and the rest of the Houston gang. Thanks for posting the memories (pictures), B & I had turn 15 tickets also, you guys must have been a few rows closer to the track, we never saw you and Andy over there.

Nine Ball
09-22-2014, 02:11 PM
We had the "security guard missing from his post" tickets. LOL

Herrsss
09-22-2014, 02:46 PM
Everyone had an absolute blast and I know I'm looking forward to a repeat next year! Great pictures also - thanks for putting them up.

Dusty1
09-23-2014, 03:45 PM
Tony it was great hanging out with all you guys, looking forward to doing it again next year. The celebrities representing the mark were gracious and friendly. What a great time for our first over night, guess we need to see what we can come up with next!

Richard