PDA

View Full Version : Ideal size for track wheels?

VENOM V
09-17-2014, 05:38 PM
Hi all,

I'm thinking of buying another set of wheels for tracking. I'd like to go wider in front to run 315s. Typically I would run Hoosiers or slicks on these wheels.

I'm thinking:
F: 18X11 with 315/30-18s
R: 19x13 (stock size) with 345/30-19s

For the fronts, I'm assuming I'd go stock backspacing, so add 1/2" in width to the outside.

By the way, anyone know what stock Gen V backspacking is?

Would anyone recommend a different width?

Thanks

Nine Ball
09-17-2014, 06:02 PM
If only this site had a wheel sponsor that knew Gen V's.

:D

Wheel sizes and tire sizes look good. Pick the exact tire brand, see what their "perfect" wheel width suggestions are, then we can build them to fit the tires.

VENOM V
09-17-2014, 06:13 PM
Haha, thanks Tony. I may be working a special deal with someone now, a swap of sorts. But I know you know your shit. So if that falls through I know you've got a solution.

Just toying with the idea, I may end up just getting another Sidewinder II stock set. Maybe I can find a used set somewhere, no luck so far. Any chance you have any used IIs?

allans
09-17-2014, 09:00 PM
V5, I'm running the same tires on stock TA wheels. Front is 1/2" narrower than ideal, but still works great. Allan

Bruce H.
09-17-2014, 09:08 PM
Hey Todd,

If you want to go with a big brake upgrade I was told there was one, but it would only fit under the SidewinderII wheels if you've sticking with 18". Maybe a consideration for the future.

Bruce

05Commemorative
09-17-2014, 10:33 PM
Why not just stick with the sidewinder2's? you can run the 315's on the fronts no problem.

VENOM V
09-18-2014, 10:33 AM
V5, I'm running the same tires on stock TA wheels. Front is 1/2" narrower than ideal, but still works great. Allan

Why not just stick with the sidewinder2's? you can run the 315's on the fronts no problem.

This will be in addition to my existing Sidewinder IIs, so if I'm buying a new set it would be good to have a variety of sizes. One set for street, one set for R compounds and one set for slicks or Hoosiers. My tire and wheel guy has made a fortune on me swapping between track tires. I've almost paid for another set of Sidewinder II's, LOL. Not to mention the time it takes hauling wheels and tires back and forth. Plus, a wider front wheel should improve turn in with a 315. Maybe not enough to worry about, but if I'm buying a new set may as well optimize.

I will get another set of Sidewinder IIs if I don't find something wider for a reasonable price and that is lightweight.

Hey Todd,

If you want to go with a big brake upgrade I was told there was one, but it would only fit under the SidewinderII wheels if you've sticking with 18". Maybe a consideration for the future.

Bruce

As usual Bruce, you bring up a good point that I hadn't considered- thanks! I'm looking at the Forgeline GA3R-6, which was developed for the Viper Comp Coupe. I couldn't find what brakes the Comp Coupe came with, but perhaps the GA3R-6 would clear a big brake setup. Then again, it is a 3-piece wheel so maybe not. Hmmm...

VENOM V
09-18-2014, 10:42 AM
By the way, if anyone's looking to sell a set of Sidewinder IIs in CA, lemme know...

Nine Ball
09-18-2014, 10:43 AM
This will be in addition to my existing Sidewinder IIs, so if I'm buying a new set it would be good to have a variety of sizes. One set for street, one set for R compounds and one set for slicks or Hoosiers. My tire and wheel guy has made a fortune on me swapping between track tires. I've almost paid for another set of Sidewinder II's, LOL. Not to mention the time it takes hauling wheels and tires back and forth. Plus, a wider front wheel should improve turn in with a 315. Maybe not enough to worry about, but if I'm buying a new set may as well optimize.

I will get another set of Sidewinder IIs if I don't find something wider for a reasonable price and that is lightweight.

As usual Bruce, you bring up a good point that I hadn't considered- thanks! I'm looking at the Forgeline GA3R-6, which was developed for the Viper Comp Coupe. I couldn't find what brakes the Comp Coupe came with, but perhaps the GA3R-6 would clear a big brake setup. Then again, it is a 3-piece wheel so maybe not. Hmmm...

If you can find the brake kit template drawing, we can have Forgeline engineering dept confirm fitment. Plenty of room behind the spokes, any clearance concern would be related to outer diameter of the brake caliper, if any.

VENOM V
09-18-2014, 10:53 AM
If you can find the brake kit template drawing, we can have Forgeline engineering dept confirm fitment. Plenty of room behind the spokes, any clearance concern would be related to outer diameter of the brake caliper, if any.

Bruce may be talking about the new big brake kit from Tomball, I'm not sure. I know that we were looking at Tomball's Viper with this kit installed, and clearance with the Sidewinder IIs was TIGHT. Bruce, is that the one you're talking about?

Shooter
09-18-2014, 10:53 AM

Comp Coupes came with stock Gen 3 rotors and calipers. Best to ask actual owners here what they upgraded with.

btw, JonB is a good source on what brake upgrades fit which wheels.

Shooter
09-18-2014, 10:55 AM
Bruce may be talking about the new big brake kit from Tomball, I'm not sure. I know that we were looking at Tomball's Viper with this kit installed, and clearance with the Sidewinder IIs was TIGHT. Bruce, is that the one you're talking about?

I know for sure that the Brembo 6 piston BB kit will not fit stock Gen IV or Gen V front wheels.

VENOM V
09-18-2014, 11:00 AM
Comp Coupes came with stock Gen 3 rotors and calipers. Best to ask actual owners here what they upgraded with.

btw, JonB is a good source on what brake upgrades fit which wheels.

Thanks Shooter. I will be tracking Sunday with 17 Vipers including some race cars (don't remember which- some Gen II GTS-Rs and a Comp Coupe or an ACR-X) at Laguna Seca this weekend. I'll ask around and see what people are running. I think Jonathan (Redsled) runs 325s on 18x12s in the front of his GTS-R. That's some serious rubber.

V10LEE
09-18-2014, 11:08 AM

Todd yes the GA3Rs 18inch 3 piece wheels will clear big brakes,and 15inch rotors. I have these with titanium fasteners on my ACR.Just tell Forgeline you want them to clear the BBs..
http://i753.photobucket.com/albums/xx171/rapid25_2012/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsb47d1b35.jpg (http://s753.photobucket.com/user/rapid25_2012/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsb47d1b35.jpg.html)
http://i753.photobucket.com/albums/xx171/rapid25_2012/DSCN3156_zps3a413167.jpg (http://s753.photobucket.com/user/rapid25_2012/media/DSCN3156_zps3a413167.jpg.html)

VENOM V
09-18-2014, 11:36 AM
Todd yes the GA3Rs 18inch 3 piece wheels will clear big brakes,and 15inch rotors. I have these with titanium fasteners on my ACR.Just tell Forgeline you want them to clear the BBs..
[/URL]

Thanks Lee, I'll check your set up out at Seca. Stoptech 6-pistons on 15 inch rotors, cool.

VENOM V
09-18-2014, 04:01 PM
Guys,

Alright, wheels are on order!

Forgeline GA3R-6
18x11 front
19x13 rear
titanium fasteners
clearance for Stoptech big brake kit (thanks for the tip Lee)
matte black centers
gloss black barrels

Initially I'll run Hoosier R6s, 315s front 345s rear. Down the road I can run A6s, R888s or Corsas with these wheels.

Thanks Tony and Mark J for your advice.

Toddy's of Bad Boyzz Garage set me up. Toddy and I are working together on some big Viper track events next year, stay tuned.

Bruce H.
09-18-2014, 04:27 PM
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, Todd. I was told by an SRT Motorsports crew chief about an available Bembo 15" 6 pot setup, and the only Viper wheels it would fit is Sidewinder II's. I haven't looked into it further so far. Hopefully Trofeos and MPSC2's will also fit your wheel selection if they come out in suitable sizes (fingers crossed).

VENOM V
09-18-2014, 04:34 PM
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, Todd. I was told by an SRT Motorsports crew chief about an available Bembo 15" 6 pot setup, and the only Viper wheels it would fit is Sidewinder II's. I haven't looked into it further so far. Hopefully Trofeos and MPSC2's will also fit your wheel selection if they come out in suitable sizes (fingers crossed).

I'm with you on that. Between my Sidewinder IIs and the Forgelines I think I'll be covered for most scenarios.

V10LEE
09-18-2014, 04:52 PM
Thanks Lee, I'll check your set up out at Seca. Stoptech 6-pistons on 15 inch rotors, cool.

Guys,

Alright, wheels are on order!

Forgeline GA3R-6
18x11 front
19x13 rear
titanium fasteners
clearance for Stoptech big brake kit (thanks for the tip Lee)
matte black centers
gloss black barrels

Initially I'll run Hoosier R6s, 315s front 345s rear. Down the road I can run A6s, R888s or Corsas with these wheels.

Thanks Tony and Mark J for your advice.

Toddy's of Bad Boyzz Garage set me up. Toddy and I are working together on some big Viper track events next year, stay tuned.

Oh sweet congrats! When you upgrade to the 6 piston/15inch rotors BB. You're going to be amazed .. :D