PDA

View Full Version : Just drove a Porsche 911 Turbo S... Wow. Comfort, NVH, Delicious

2doorrocket
09-14-2014, 04:27 PM
Idk why I bought a second Viper. I think I'm going to trade mine in for a Porsche Turbo S... This car is awesome. There was absolutely no drone in the car at all. the Viper is deafening... The seats were amazing and the car was so comfy. The AC worked wonders...

docwviper
09-14-2014, 04:32 PM
I just got rid of my 911. It was wayyy more comfortable then the viper. I reported that to the survey I was sent when I purchased my viper.

ViperSmith
09-14-2014, 04:33 PM
Eh, totally different lines of thoughts for what the car should be imho.

No doubt the ttS is a rocket.

2doorrocket
09-14-2014, 04:37 PM
Eh, totally different lines of thoughts for what the car should be imho.

No doubt the ttS is a rocket.

Dude everything inside of the Porsche was amazing. The AC was freezing cold as soon as the car started. The Viper if you floor it or put stress on the engine the heat transfers into the cabin...

RAY W
09-14-2014, 04:42 PM
An exceptional car for sure. At 70-90K more it should be. I'll keep my dinosaur SRT. It has scales not feathers.

Bruce H.
09-14-2014, 05:18 PM
Wow it's comfy? Wow the A/C works wonders? And you had no idea the Gen V had a drone...when you bought the second one?

The Gen V is such an event every time I take it out. It's stunning to look at, elemental and engaging by design, it's rare and it's exotic. I have a lot of respect for all 911 variants, but wow it's none of what I was craving when team Viper created exactly what I was looking for with the Gen V. Maybe an F458 would wow me if I drove one.

My wife and I both felt the TA was comfortable over a 10 day road trip within the context of it being a true exotic, the AC worked great during that heat wave, and it stopped traffic everywhere we went.

swexlin
09-14-2014, 05:20 PM
Idk why I bought a second Viper. I think I'm going to trade mine in for a Porsche Turbo S... This car is awesome. There was absolutely no drone in the car at all. the Viper is deafening... The seats were amazing and the car was so comfy. The AC worked wonders...

You bought a second because it's a Viper! And you're a Mopar man, judging by your stable (and you have Hellcats on order!) That being said, if I had your stable of cars, and your means, I would ADD a 911 Turbo in a heartbeat. Supercar speed, and all the other creature comforts you mentioned.

Not to derail the thread, but I haven't heard too many AC complaints for the Gen 5. Even my 03, (granted, with Mopar Race exhaust, so the heat-producing crossover gone) the AC works pretty well....on those very rare occasions I use it. I haven't had it on even once this summer. Top down, you know... I guess I should probably run it once to make sure it's working!

So, I say go ahead an scratch your 911 itch. It may bore you compared to the Viper (after a while?)

2doorrocket
09-14-2014, 05:40 PM
You bought a second because it's a Viper! And you're a Mopar man, judging by your stable (and you have Hellcats on order!) That being said, if I had your stable of cars, and your means, I would ADD a 911 Turbo in a heartbeat. Supercar speed, and all the other creature comforts you mentioned.

Not to derail the thread, but I haven't heard too many AC complaints for the Gen 5. Even my 03, (granted, with Mopar Race exhaust, so the heat-producing crossover gone) the AC works pretty well....on those very rare occasions I use it. I haven't had it on even once this summer. Top down, you know... I guess I should probably run it once to make sure it's working!

So, I say go ahead an scratch your 911 itch. It may bore you compared to the Viper (after a while?)

I don't quite have a problem with the AC, not working its more when you're flooring it on a hot day and you slow down your cabin temperature variance is atrocious

ViperSmith
09-14-2014, 06:07 PM
The bare bones 350bhp 911 Carrera is the exact same price as the SRT Viper.

The 991ttS is $200k for everyone I've seen.

When you compare the price, I don't think it is much of a contest.

v10enomous
09-14-2014, 06:11 PM
No matter how nice they make them I'll take a car that was born of a snake over a car that was born of a Beetle any day. I still can't shake thought plus while the P car is really stellar I just don't see the value quotient.

Brian GTS
09-14-2014, 07:51 PM
Have tried a couple Porsches over the years and they are great driving cars. However, the Viper is the only car that stirs my soul. My P car days are over after owning a Gen V Viper.

2doorrocket
09-14-2014, 09:18 PM
The bare bones 350bhp 911 Carrera is the exact same price as the SRT Viper.

The 991ttS is $200k for everyone I've seen.

When you compare the price, I don't think it is much of a contest.

Lol... They have two demo 2014 Porsche Carrera Turbo S Cars for 50k off at my local dealer. Lol One white one black.

KickAsp
09-14-2014, 09:51 PM

You really can't compare the two cars. I drove the turbo s as well. It's an awesome car, best way to describe it is luxurious speed/performance. Reminded me very much of my M6. Obviously Viper is raw. It is the closest thing you can get to experiencing a race car feel in a street legal car. It all depends what you want. I love luxury performance for day to day, but viper for the weekends. I will agree that I too am not fond of all the heat in the cabin on either hot day or after hard acceleration (if I had to pick one thing to change on the car it would be this issue). Otherwise I don't think we Viper owners really have much to complain about. If dodge ever makes the viper too tame, that's when I stop buying them. Love it!

Voice of Reason
09-14-2014, 10:26 PM
Where is all this talk about heat coming from? I was in my TA for over 2 hours today and I had to set the temp at 74 to keep from getting frozen out of the car. This heat myth really needs to end for the Gen Vs.

Derek Short
09-14-2014, 10:47 PM
No doubt this Porsche is a badass car hands down.... And I for one wouldn't mind having one...

Just to do this allllllll dayyyyyyyyy longgggggggggg..............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5DRCTW-Q7o

Shooter
09-15-2014, 02:00 AM
Where is all this talk about heat coming from? I was in my TA for over 2 hours today and I had to set the temp at 74 to keep from getting frozen out of the car. This heat myth really needs to end for the Gen Vs.

I'm wondering too. I haven't experienced any cabin heat issue's.

FLATOUT
09-15-2014, 06:14 AM
I'm wondering too. I haven't experienced any cabin heat issue's.

No heat in mine on long trips in the Texas summer heat as well.

v10enomous
09-15-2014, 06:51 AM
This concludes our test. Now we'll bring it back to the dealer where they will try to sell it as a lightly used dealer demo.... hehe

No doubt this Porsche is a badass car hands down.... And I for one wouldn't mind having one...

Just to do this allllllll dayyyyyyyyy longgggggggggg..............

Nine Ball
09-15-2014, 09:25 AM
I don't quite have a problem with the AC, not working its more when you're flooring it on a hot day and you slow down your cabin temperature variance is atrocious

You do realize that most performance cars shut off the AC compressor, at wide open throttle, don't you? Adds more hp. That is why it gets warm, momentarily, after a WOT blast.

I dig the 911TS, but they aren't any faster than the Viper is. I prefer rowing my own gears. I think of the 911 as a very nice, deluxe, commuting appliance. They don't stir my soul, and most people don't even notice them on the road.

plumcrazy
09-15-2014, 09:34 AM
completely different animal. i like them but not the same

Policy Limits
09-15-2014, 11:26 AM
Heat comes on the floor at your feet near the pedals. I don't mind it much. Adds to the rawness. Porsches are on every street corner.