PDA

View Full Version : Ultra Rare Gen II found

TexasTonka
11-13-2013, 05:25 PM
I have seen only one picture of this car in my life. While I am not a huge fan of the car, the history of it makes it very cool. When I saw this thing sitting on the street for sale while headed home here in San Antonio my neck snapped back so much I almost got in a wreck! Car is not in mint condition unfortunately, but could be with a careful hand and eye for detail. What jumps out most is the deleted crosshair grill. The price is WAY up there but if it was a mint condition model going to a true Viper collector I could see fetching twice this much for this car.

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/ctd/4165214053.html

http://www.concoursemotors.com/1995-Dodge-Viper-Sports-Car-San-Antonio-Texas-78216/4768844

If anyone does end up buying this make sure to let us all know where it goes and if it gets restored.

ACRucrazy
11-13-2013, 05:35 PM
I saw this a while ago. I'm kind of conflicted, I think the price is a little whack.

BlknBlu
11-13-2013, 05:36 PM
awesome, i could own one of those.

Bruce

Viper Girl
11-13-2013, 05:41 PM
Wow for 1300 miles that dash is beat :t0135: that makes ya wonder...

Funny I just added the Carroll Shelby edition to my Viper app's build info yesterday... and here is one to look at.
From my research no one knew how many were made RT/10 or GTS by Fitzgerald...

JonB ~ PartsRack
11-13-2013, 05:50 PM
I know those cars well!

I agree on 2 points: The car is rare and desirable..........and the price is 'whacked' [as in too high.]

But its NOT an "Ultra-Rare Gen II" as the thread says, it is a Gen 1 Viper. 1995 RT10. They were also built in 1996 on 96 B/W Vipers!

Some HISSSSTORY:

The CS Edition publicly debuted at Monterrey 1995, at VOI-2. I was able to arrange with Dan Fitzgerald for Carroll Shelby to be Grand Marshall, and to drive the 001 CS as the Pace Car for the first ever Autoweek Rolling Concours.... we had 250 cars, LED by a Pace Fleet of 25 Vipers ! I had the privilige of introducing Carroll from the podium at the start of the event. I wore a "Next Year Ill Kick Ferrari's Ass" hat, a famous Shel quote!

Me, Maurice, Dale Nafsinger followed Carroll. The photo of US Flag, Viper Flag, Viper parade, was the COVER photo of the Sunday Edition of the Monterrey Herald during Concorse week!! Bob Lutz called it a "Million Dollar Photo" to be on the front page that week, above the fold.... "We could not PAY for advertisng like that" Bob said. I was so proud I was about to explode. Carroll and Bob sat for almost an hour and autographed Heralds that Sunday at Laguna Seca. All of the newspaper machines were empty with hundreds of Vipers cruising town..... Fuel stations ran out of Premium!

Chrylser used the film of our convoy TO that event in VOI-2 official video. Cool Video.

Dan and Carroll (boyhood friends) also did a Red 1997 CS Coupe. Overpriced and gaudy, only sold 3-4.

JonB

99RT10
11-13-2013, 06:03 PM
I know those cars well!

I agree on 2 points: The car is rare and desirable..........and the price is 'whacked' [as in too high.]

But its NOT an "Ultra-Rare Gen II" as the thread says, it is a Gen 1 Viper. 1996 RT10.

Some HISSSSTORY:

The CS Edition publicly debuted at Monterrey 1995, at VOI-2. I was able to arrange with Dan Fitzgerald for Carroll Shelby to be Grand Marshall, and to drive the 001 CS as the Pace Car for the first ever Autoweek Rolling Concours.... we had 250 cars, LED by a Pace Fleet of 25 Vipers ! I had the privilige of introducing Carroll from the podium at the start of the event. I wore a "Next Year Ill Kick Ferrari's Ass" hat, a famous Shel quote!

Me, Maurice, Dale Nafsinger followed Carroll. The photo of US Flag, Viper Flag, Viper parade, was the COVER photo of the Sunday Edition of the Monterrey Herald during Concorse week!! Bob Lutz called it a "Million Dollar Photo" to be on the front page that week, above the fold.... "We could not PAY for advertisng like that" Bob said. I was so proud I was about to explode. Carroll and Bob sat for almost an hour and autographed Heralds that Sunday at Laguna Seca.

Chrylser used the film of our convoy TO that event in VOI-2 official video. Cool Video.

Dan and Carroll (boyhood friends) also did a Red 1997 CS Coupe. Overpriced and gaudy, only sold 3-4.

JonB

Hey Jon,
that car in the first post link has a 1995 VIN. Gen I for sure, but if it came from the factory white/blue, that would be fairly rare. Still ain't paying $100K for it...........:orange:

JonB ~ PartsRack
11-13-2013, 06:14 PM
Hey Jon,
that car in the first post link has a 1995 VIN. Gen I for sure, but if it came from the factory white/blue, that would be fairly rare. Still ain't paying $100K for it...........:orange:

My excited Typo..... built TWO years, 1995 and 1996.....debuted 1995 at 1995 Monterrey Historics / VOI as noted.

Here is a thread on it:
http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/601396-Calling-all-Viper-CS-(Shelby-Edition-Viper)-Owners

J TNT
11-13-2013, 06:19 PM
I recall seeing these cars at Fitzgeralds :)

ViperSmith
11-13-2013, 06:22 PM
$98,950

lmao.

Cool car, but the price is insane.

And I agree, for 1000 miles, the interior is a bit beat up.

KNG SNKE
11-13-2013, 06:35 PM
One of our locals owns the GTS Shelby up here in red.

Ricketts
11-13-2013, 06:37 PM
$98,950

lmao.

Cool car, but the price is insane.

And I agree, for 1000 miles, the interior is a bit beat up.

My thoughts exactly!

ICPREY
11-13-2013, 08:41 PM
Man those things are ugly...

Nickel
11-13-2013, 09:38 PM
Why is the dash scratched up so much? They have a dog riding with them?

ACRucrazy
11-14-2013, 01:34 AM
Seats look like Hell for 1000 miles too. Odometer roll back?

plumcrazy
11-14-2013, 04:55 AM
ugly and priced about 3-4 times too high

01sapphirebob
11-14-2013, 07:38 AM
Here is the 1 of 1 GTS CS.

http://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/t558/weilandfrk/CIMG0288_zpsdb7ef54e.jpg

KNG SNKE
11-14-2013, 07:46 AM

http://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/t558/weilandfrk/CIMG0288_zpsdb7ef54e.jpg

Yeah that's Tim's car.

TexasTonka
11-14-2013, 08:49 AM
I have to admit I kinda like the catfish style front fascia with the cross hair delete. Would have made life a lot easier putting in the intercooler on my '96!

Thawk97
11-14-2013, 09:46 AM
I have to admit I kinda like the catfish style front fascia with the cross hair delete. Would have made life a lot easier putting in the intercooler on my '96!

Haha I was just about to say "man, looks terrible without the cross hair in the front" - just goes to show how much we can all appreciate different style!

ViperTony
11-14-2013, 09:53 AM
After reading this thread it made me realize that I'd NEVER want to compete against JonB in a game of Viper Jeopardy. :D

slysnake
11-14-2013, 05:36 PM
But its NOT an "Ultra-Rare Gen II" as the thread says, it is a Gen 1 Viper. 1995 RT10. They were also built in 1996 on 96 B/W Vipers! Was it produced from the factory or modified later? These things confuse me.

POWERWINDOWS AND LOCKS
T-TOPS
CRUISE CONTROL
POWER SEATS

Sybil TF
11-14-2013, 06:18 PM
Why is the dash scratched up so much? They have a dog riding with them? Two or three girls riding around stuffed in there lol

plumcrazy
11-14-2013, 07:41 PM
rare doesnt always mean desirable

Wheelman
11-15-2013, 11:42 AM
Haha I was just about to say "man, looks terrible without the cross hair in the front" - just goes to show how much we can all appreciate different style!

I think the catfish look could be pulled off nicely with a big intercooler behind it :)

SNKBYT
11-16-2013, 07:30 PM
I have a lot info on these Shelby Vipers. I have had many conversations with Dan Fitzgerald on the history and building of these cars. Being from NH, I visited with Dan on many occasions. 21 of these cars were produced according to Dans latest information that he gave me. 20 were R/T 10s, 1 was a 97 Red/Gold GTS.

At the VOI in Detroit, Ralph Gilles had a slide show of Rare collectable vipers. One on the featured cars in the presentation were the Shelby Vipers. After dinner, I spoke with Ralph, and told him about the 1 Shelby GTS that was made. He Said, "that's a keeper, A very rare collectable Viper".

A white/blue stripe Shelby RT/10 sold at Barrett Jackson last year for 96K plus the 10% buyers premium.
Last year, I was invited to the 50th Shelby Reunion/Memorial at Carlisle. The Shelby GTS Viper was placed and displayed in the building for the 50 years of Shelby cars.
I spoke with Steve Davis and Gary Bennett, president and VP of BJ, while they were viewing the the Shelby Cars. They felt the Shelby GTS would do very well at their auction, should the car ever cross the blocks.

While everyone has their opinion of these cars, the fact remains that these rare vipers will always be a part of the Shelby history and heritage, and a reminder of Carroll's imput on building the viper.

Cratica
11-18-2013, 10:01 AM
I think the catfish look could be pulled off nicely with a big intercooler behind it :)

I'm thinking $35K MIGHT be a fair price. I also agree, something is not right with that scratched up dash and mileage. Not a fan of the overall "gaudiness" of it either.

LeadfootRT10
11-18-2013, 02:13 PM
What does one have to do in 1.3K miles to make the interior look like it's seen 130K miles?!?!?

jwolf
11-18-2013, 02:43 PM
my question would be a gen I with POWERWINDOWS AND LOCKS, T-TOPS, CRUISE CONTROL, POWER SEATS

cobraken
11-18-2013, 02:46 PM
I bought my first Viper new. It was a 2002 ACR with 37 miles on the odometer but it was Dec of '03. The driver's seat was already worn and cracked from all the folks that sat in the car while it was on the show room.

Coloviper
11-18-2013, 05:52 PM
There are three here in Colorado. Two white and a black 96'.

malcoll
11-23-2013, 09:49 PM
Must not have been popular.... the data plate under the hood says "1 of 50", but the signature on the glove box door says "1 of 25".... while it appears there were only 21 actually built..... it's an enigma wrapped in a riddle!

slitherv10
11-23-2013, 11:23 PM
This is quite sad when Fellow viper owners bash a car that has history and rarity written all over it. Especially coming from some of you out there that have a Viper that is a dime a dozen. Instead of praising one of our own, we are trying to find as many reasons to put it down. From "its ugly" to that's not rare" to rare doesn't mean worthy.
Well it seems to the people who it makes a difference to, they are paying the money for it. A 95/96 ugly, not rare, beat up , etc Viper is getting more than most of your 2010 ACRs out there and almost as much as a new SRT. If we the owners and probable supporters of the Viper are sitting here in our Forum bashing our cars then, what does that say about the competition and what they think of our views on our own? Quite sad if you ask me.
If we continue to make comments regarding the worthiness of certain Vipers and how they are worth nothing or less than they should be, then, eventually they will be worth Honda prices. One gentleman quoted on a thread that he will wait a few years until the Gen 4 car reaches 35K and then will be able to afford one. 35K !!?? If the Gen 4's reach that in a few years than what will a earlier Gen's be worth, 5 or 10K? !!
We the Viper owners here need to unionize and keep the value of these vehicles strong. Not beat them down. If you respect what others have, It will only respect what you have in return. Do upon others what you wish upon yourself.
Long live the Viper and its worthiness.

This car although beat up and the like is still a part of Viper history and a rarity at that. Wether you like it or not it makes no difference what this car stands for.
What do you have??

ICPREY
11-24-2013, 12:08 AM
It's not a "sad" situation, everybody has their opinions. Mine is it's ugly and not worth the $. All Vipers are rare when compared to others and they will never be the same value as a Honda no matter how much people put them down on the internet.

johniew398
11-24-2013, 11:46 AM

agentf1
11-24-2013, 01:04 PM
This is quite sad when Fellow viper owners bash a car that has history and rarity written all over it. Especially coming from some of you out there that have a Viper that is a dime a dozen. Instead of praising one of our own, we are trying to find as many reasons to put it down. From "its ugly" to that's not rare" to rare doesn't mean worthy.
Well it seems to the people who it makes a difference to, they are paying the money for it. A 95/96 ugly, not rare, beat up , etc Viper is getting more than most of your 2010 ACRs out there and almost as much as a new SRT. If we the owners and probable supporters of the Viper are sitting here in our Forum bashing our cars then, what does that say about the competition and what they think of our views on our own? Quite sad if you ask me.
If we continue to make comments regarding the worthiness of certain Vipers and how they are worth nothing or less than they should be, then, eventually they will be worth Honda prices. One gentleman quoted on a thread that he will wait a few years until the Gen 4 car reaches 35K and then will be able to afford one. 35K !!?? If the Gen 4's reach that in a few years than what will a earlier Gen's be worth, 5 or 10K? !!
We the Viper owners here need to unionize and keep the value of these vehicles strong. Not beat them down. If you respect what others have, It will only respect what you have in return. Do upon others what you wish upon yourself.

This car although beat up and the like is still a part of Viper history and a rarity at that. Wether you like it or not it makes no difference what this car stands for.
What do you have??

Finally a Viper owner with some intelligence. Seems like owners are so quick to devalue the Viper these days. I remember when the Gen I and Gen II's were special and Viper owners stood up for the cars and realized how rare and special they are. They actually held there value well and were praised to be better than everything else on the road. People seem to want to put them in a class lower than the Corvettes any more. They are very rare and getting rarer every day. They were the fastest car on the road in their day. One of the only hand built american sports cars ever made. Why are of all people, "Viper Owners" so quick to put them down and want too devalue them?

Granted the car in question does look like it has been ridden hard and put away wet but it is still a rare piece of american/Viper history.

slitherv10
11-24-2013, 03:19 PM
finally a viper owner with some intelligence. Seems like owners are so quick to devalue the viper these days. I remember when the gen i and gen ii's were special and viper owners stood up for the cars and realized how rare and special they are. They actually held there value well and were praised to be better than everything else on the road. People seem to want to put them in a class lower than the corvettes any more. They are very rare and getting rarer every day. They were the fastest car on the road in their day. One of the only hand built american sports cars ever made. Why are of all people, "viper owners" so quick to put them down and want too devalue them?

Granted the car in question does look like it has been ridden hard and put away wet but it is still a rare piece of american/viper history.

amen !!

SNKBYT
11-25-2013, 03:35 PM
Must not have been popular.... the data plate under the hood says "1 of 50", but the signature on the glove box door says "1 of 25".... while it appears there were only 21 actually built..... it's an enigma wrapped in a riddle!

I'll let you in on some of the facts!
Originally, 50 Shelby vipers (RT/10s) were planned to be built. These were started in 1995. When the the GTS body was introduced late in 96, They changed the original plan from 50 RT/10, to 25 RT/10s and 25 GTS, thus keeping the total at 50. However, when Carroll Shelby became very ill after one of his organ transplants, all of the Shelby's Vipers were put on hold and subsequently stopped, and were no longer produced. This is why one of the RT/10 was numbered 33. The owner totaled a Blue RT/10 and had it replaced with #33. At that time, 50 RT/10 were planned. Only one GTS was produced before before they had stop. This is why Fitzgerald Motorsports stated doing the 530 Snake Package which was a takeoff of the Shelby's.

pony23
11-27-2013, 09:00 PM

What do you have??

You summed it up perfectly. They should all be celebrated. It is a rare car and I hope that someone buys it and takes great care of it.

Space Truckin
11-27-2013, 10:03 PM
Not to stir the pot, but I think the vast majority of the bashing/ ridicule begins with the pricing of "rare". I spend a lot time of searching for Vans (1st gen-3rd gen chevy) not minivans and typically because something is perceived as rare (early birth certificate = gold?) no matter what the condition the pricing is STUPID. If this Viper is in fact 1 of 21 it is rare, now when you look back 20 years and see body lines/ paint schemes they seem dated. Which now brings us to condition, based solely on pics provided this car is ROUGH not just paint but when you consider all the rubber, hoses, plastic and mechanicals to bring it to driver status you are talking SERIOUS money on restore? There is a 1st gen for sale with 500 +/- mile for sale at 35k? What kind of money would it take to make it a dd or are they both museum pieces (and nothing wrong with that) In the end market will dictate JM2C

slitherv10
11-27-2013, 10:12 PM
Not to stir the pot, but I think the vast majority of the bashing/ ridicule begins with the pricing of "rare". I spend a lot time of searching for Vans (1st gen-3rd gen chevy) not minivans and typically because something is perceived as rare (early birth certificate = gold?) no matter what the condition the pricing is STUPID. If this Viper is in fact 1 of 21 it is rare, now when you look back 20 years and see body lines/ paint schemes they seem dated. Which now brings us to condition, based solely on pics provided this car is ROUGH not just paint but when you consider all the rubber, hoses, plastic and mechanicals to bring it to driver status you are talking SERIOUS money on restore? There is a 1st gen for sale with 500 +/- mile for sale at 35k? What kind of money would it take to make it a dd or are they both museum pieces (and nothing wrong with that) In the end market will dictate JM2C

There is a big difference between a car that has low miles and one that only 25 were made and carry's a story behind it. Rarity has it definitions, yes. being rough means nothing, you could run into a Barn find and that car may be worth 100K just as it sits. A lot of the old classics are in Rough condition and sell for big money. This car will one day be worth a lot of money and its price tag today will be a conversation we will all have in the future. Being in a rough unrestored condition is worth to many a lot more than a restored one.

SNKBYT
11-27-2013, 10:36 PM
There is a big difference between a car that has low miles and one that only 25 were made and carry's a story behind it. Rarity has it definitions, yes. being rough means nothing, you could run into a Barn find and that car may be worth 100K just as it sits. A lot of the old classics are in Rough condition and sell for big money. This car will one day be worth a lot of money and its price tag today will be a conversation we will all have in the future. Being in a rough unrestored condition is worth to many a lot more than a restored one.

Exactly, a barn find rare car in any condition will always be worth money. Example, the Shelby Cobra, and more rare Shelby Daytona Cobra.

It has been said, that these Shelby Vipers will follow in the footsteps of the Cobra's. The Shelby RT/10s is to the Shelby Cobra, as the Shelby GTS is to the Shelby Daytona Cobra. These cars are quickly becoming collectables. Just talk to some of the people, " in the know" of Shelby Cars.

Shooter
11-28-2013, 12:03 AM
Exactly, a barn find rare car in any condition will always be worth money. Example, the Shelby Cobra, and more rare Shelby Daytona Cobra.

It has been said, that these Shelby Vipers will follow in the footsteps of the Cobra's. The Shelby RT/10s is to the Shelby Cobra, as the Shelby GTS is to the Shelby Daytona Cobra. These cars are quickly becoming collectables. Just talk to some of the people, " in the know" of Shelby Cars.

People are delusional if they think that Shelby GTS is anything even close to a real Daytona Coupe. Only 6 Daytona coupes ever made, 5 left in the world. I think they go for around $4+ million when/if they change hands.

Matt M, Pa
11-28-2013, 08:46 AM
I agree Shooter...I can't see any of the later Shelby cars ever being in the same league as the originals.

I should add...that's not meant as an insult in any way of the newer Shelby cars. There are those that love them...and that's all that matters. Whether they are "my thing" or not doesn't matter.

SNKBYT
11-28-2013, 11:00 AM
People are delusional if they think that Shelby GTS is anything even close to a real Daytona Coupe. Only 6 Daytona coupes ever made, 5 left in the world. I think they go for around $4+ million when/if they change hands.

I was not implying that these Shelby vipers would ever be equal to the Shelby Cobra's and Daytona's. The comparison was made by a Highly respected Shelby Person. They were comparing the Rt/ 10 body style to the Cobra, and the GTS to the Daytona, and the fact that there were more Shelby RT/10s made like the Cobra vs the six Daytona Cobra's and 1 Shelby GTS. These cars do not share the same racing pedigree as the Cobra's. Carroll Shelby's intentions was to make a modern day Cobra.
After all, some of his imput was used to help design the Original viper as a member of the Team that designed and created the viper.

He later teamed up with Dan Fitzgerald of Fitzgerald Motorsporsts to create and personalize few Shelby Vipers. He purposely removed the front cross bars from the Viper to give it the signature Cobra look and also did a few performance upgrades.

The premium that the people paid for these cars went to the mods, exclusitivity, and a donation was paid to Mr Shelby's heart fund.
Everybody has their opinion of these cars, and only time will tell the rest of the story! In the meantime, people will enjoy their vipers, stock or modded, they are all special to every owner.

AFL in CA
12-08-2013, 11:49 PM
I will certainly be interested to see over the next 20 years where Viper and Shelby Viper prices trend including some of the rarer Vipers.

I look at muscle car prices today and the most expensive ones are the "albatross cars" like the hemi cuda convertible....so we'll see.

Regards,
Aaron

MoparBoyy
12-09-2013, 08:10 AM

I saw this car at a SDAC event!

SNKBYT
12-09-2013, 10:08 PM
I saw this car at a SDAC event!

Where you at the Maryland show in 2011?

JonB ~ PartsRack
11-24-2017, 09:38 AM
RESURRECTING THIS OLD THREAD for a new CS Owner request.......

I know those cars well!

But its NOT an "Ultra-Rare Gen II" as the thread says, it is a Gen 1 Viper. 1995 RT10. They were also built in 1996 on 96 B/W Vipers!

Some HISSSSTORY:

Me, Maurice, Dale Nafsinger followed Carroll. The photo of US Flag, Viper Flag, Viper parade, was the COVER photo of the Sunday Edition of the Monterrey Herald during Concorse week!! Bob Lutz called it a "Million Dollar Photo" to be on the front page that week, above the fold.... "We could not PAY for advertisng like that" Bob said. I was so proud I was about to explode. Carroll and Bob sat for almost an hour and autographed Heralds that Sunday at Laguna Seca. All of the newspaper machines were empty with hundreds of Vipers cruising town..... Fuel stations ran out of Premium!

JonB