PDA

View Full Version : More Than Rumors on the Mid-Engine Corvette

FrgMstr
09-10-2014, 03:11 PM
http://jalopnik.com/heres-chevys-plan-for-the-mid-engined-2017-corvette-zor-1633072245

The mid-engined Corvette is the automobile magazine's white whale; an elusive beast that always seems so close and yet, always, just of reach. This time Car and Driver thinks it's really going to happen. Here are the details.10

THE PLAN: The C8 flagship, the Zora ZR1, will debut the new mid-engine architecture. Launching as a 2017 model, it will define the top of the Corvette hierarchy just as its precursors did in 1990-1995 C4 generation and 2009-2013 C6 model years. As before, the ZR1 will be low volume, roughly 1500 units per annum, and high priced. We figure around $150,000.

Here's Chevy's Plan For The Mid-Engined 2017 'Corvette Zora'
EXPAND
THE ENGINES: Small-block V-8s will remain the engine of choice—at least for the near future. And, beginning with the Zora ZR1, they’ll nestle just in front of the rear axle.

THE STRUCTURE: Today’s aluminum space frame will need a heavy massage to provide the C8 with strong, stiff bones. But it’s doable: The robotic frame fabrication GM tooled up for the C7 can be expanded and reprogrammed to serve the coming car.

THE BODY: Doors are the next logical candidate for conversion from sheet-molded fiberglass to lighter, stiffer, crash-resistant carbon-composite assemblies. Current Corvette supplier Plasan Carbon Composites manufactures carbon-fiber panels for both the Corvette and the Viper, and this firm has the ability to supply additional parts using its advanced press-press processes.

THE CHASSIS: Expect the current control-arm suspensions, composite leaf springs, adjustable magnetic dampers, and Brembo brakes to carry on with appropriate revisions.

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/a6cb0zofnzjqtkspybrd.jpg

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/ht0kcznapcj5oh6zbq7w.jpg

Maybe I will not be shopping a new Z06?

Murpowa
09-10-2014, 04:39 PM
Told ya so

FLATOUT
09-10-2014, 04:48 PM
Told ya so

HAHA What are you 10 LOL. Made me laugh at my desk though, thanks for that :D

It does look like the Vette had a child with a GTR. How many original supercars can the Vette designers copy? C6 rips off Viper. C7 front looks like the prior anounced Gen V Viper, not this looks like a GTR with Ferrari tail lights.

daytonprowler
09-10-2014, 05:06 PM
This will be another example of General Motors crap engineering. Build it and let the public test it. They can't even design an ignition switch. Engines in the new Corvette are going bad already.

Anything new from GM always reminds me of the saying from "Scotty", Chief Engineering Officer from the Starship Enterprise:

"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain."

LOL!

Coloviper
09-10-2014, 05:38 PM
Just when you thought it couldn't get any uglier? I just don't have a connection to the general these days. The only GM I longed for was the one I bought new, a 1993 GMC Sierra GT 1/2 ton which I street trucked to the max. This just does not stir the emotions.

Nor does the current Vette. They are selling though. I counted no less than 23 new ones one the way to/from work last Friday. They are like the old Hyundai of sports cars at this point. One on every corner.

Bryan Savage
09-10-2014, 07:45 PM
I think the Zora is pretty cool looking, but I'm not sure what's left to gain.

It's typically been weight distribution that causes an engine to sit behind the occupants. The Corvette is already front-mid engined as it is.

So they want to make them way tougher to work on? Check.

They want more cargo space up front? Check?

Better aerodynamics by lowering the hood, or making room for pedestrian impact zones? Maybe.

The want space in the front to add electric front drive and batteries? Maybe.

Manufacturing costs? Headlines? Make it different than the Camaro again so they aren't competing with themselves? Maybe, probably, and likely.

Heck, the C7 and C7Z06 are already pretty sweet cars. I'm just not sure of the benefit. It'd be like making a mid-rear engine Viper. Why bother?

Thoughts?

TitleMine
09-10-2014, 07:52 PM
Everyone commenting on the appearance-this is 100% artist's render with 0 basis in fact. It's as much a real corvette as this:

http://supercarsketches.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/autodesign40_lg.jpg

Is the real Gen V.

It'll be interesting. Chevy has come out with some real dogs, but the C6 Z06 was easily one of the best cars to come out during my lifetime.

Now, can we see another ACR? Please?

Why bother?

Thoughts?

It's 100% a status play. If they do a solid job on the interior and sling the engine out back, they probably think this thing can take on and take out the 911 Turbo and Turbo S.

And if the old ZR1 was any indication, they're 100% right.

johniew398
09-10-2014, 07:53 PM
If they build this I will be back in a Vette. But won't do it unless I can also keep my Viper.

ViperSmith
09-10-2014, 08:25 PM
I'd love a rear mid engine Vette

Chorps
09-11-2014, 12:07 AM
A Ferrari 458 has pretty much an ideal weight distribution. Mid engined cars have pretty much dominated racing programs for a reason.

Steering feel/feedback is also improved since you have less weight up front, the inertial mass is not as much the front wheels, and the driver is sitting a little more forward so the lateral motion from steering is that much more amplified.

If you are going to go hybrid (starting to look like an inevitable thing... ugh) then a mid engined ICE is better than front engined on a high powered vehicle. You can power the rear wheels with the combustion engine, and then use regenerative braking on the front wheels, and also use the generators as motors to power the front wheels. A small battery would sit up front close to the generator/motors. This is pretty much the same conclusion that McLaren, Ferrari and Porsche as well as BMW have come up with for the P1, LaFerrari, 918 and i8 respectively.

There were a lot of rumblings that the C7 was only an interim car for a radical C8... I would guess that mid engined would be a radical enough departure.

v10enomous
09-11-2014, 06:54 AM
They should build it and make it affordable. Hell if Porsche can build a great mid engine car for $50k that's only throttled back to please their purists then why couldn't Chevy or Ford or Dodge compete in that market.

ViperSmith
09-11-2014, 08:06 AM
Rear mid engine + KERS = yum

Nine Ball
09-11-2014, 08:06 AM
I would like a mid-engined American sportscar. I missed the boat on the Ford GT price explosion. But, I wouldn't want one like the rendering shown above, that looks like crap. Motor Trend's render looks far more sexy.

http://image.motortrend.com/f/wot/1408_scoop_mid_engine_chevrolet_corvette_is_a_go/79645023/2016-chevrolet-corvette-zr1-rear-three-quarters-by-tom-matsumoto-promo.jpg

ViperSmith
09-11-2014, 08:26 AM
I'll be branded a heretic but I'd love a rear mid engine viper... as tony said, we need another kick ass mid engine american car

IndyRon
09-11-2014, 08:36 AM
I would like a mid-engined American sportscar. I missed the boat on the Ford GT price explosion. But, I wouldn't want one like the rendering shown above, that looks like crap. Motor Trend's render looks far more sexy.

http://image.motortrend.com/f/wot/1408_scoop_mid_engine_chevrolet_corvette_is_a_go/79645023/2016-chevrolet-corvette-zr1-rear-three-quarters-by-tom-matsumoto-promo.jpg

Now that looks cool....I also missed the FGT boat. I'm hoping they build a new one in the future so the price on the current ones tank and I can pick one up.

adprokid
06-28-2016, 01:01 PM
Spy shots
http://www.autoblog.com/2016/06/27/mid-engine-chevy-corvette-captured-in-broad-daylight/?ncid=edlinkusauto00000015

Coloviper
06-28-2016, 01:43 PM
I guess almost time for Chrysler to start showing the new ME (4-12) variant with the Hellcat V8 and Tigershark V-6TT motors. Surely with a complete rewrite of the Viper (if it happens), this is likely the direction they would go.

v10enomous
06-28-2016, 02:44 PM
They should build it and make it affordable. Hell if Porsche can build a great mid engine car for $50k that's only throttled back to please their purists then why couldn't Chevy or Ford or Dodge compete in that market.

I still agree with this guy...

viper_eddie
06-28-2016, 08:38 PM
I think it would be better to keep a front mid-engined Corvette and add the mid-engine as a special version (ZR1?). I can't see the usual demographic of Corvettes being too excited about a mid-engined car.

- - - Updated - - -

Now that looks cool....I also missed the FGT boat. I'm hoping they build a new one in the future so the price on the current ones tank and I can pick one up.

I know you wrote that in 2014 but it's funny how the new FGT is 400k...pretty much no chance of the original going down in price.

Vprbite
06-29-2016, 10:29 PM
I don't think the GT ever cost less than its original sales price. I know they leveled for a while before they went through the roof. But that car is iconic, and with the recent win for the new GT, at the very least the value of the GT may level off again at some point. But that's one of he few cars that always has been and will be an investment.

Vprbite
06-29-2016, 10:52 PM
I still agree with this guy...

What does he know? He talks to himself ; )

Truth is, things are changing. Technology is changing and more importantly, the market and what it is demanding is changing or has already. Drastically. So I almost can't see them not developing this car. As I'm sure we all know, when we see a car, many elements of that car are several years old from when they were first designed/tested. They may not be releasing this thing next year, but it's hard to believe they don't want it at least in their back pocket. Having drivetrain or weight distribution issues figured out makes them capable of hitting the market sooner when it comes time to slap a design on it.

Though that first rendering in the original post looks terrible to me. Looks like a cheesy kit car. But ya know, opinions vary and its just a rendering based on talk. So who knows what it wil look like for sure yet?

Fatboy 18
06-30-2016, 02:16 AM

That's Hot, like the look of that :)