PDA

View Full Version : Random Tech/Corsa Install on GenII

00VPRGTS
09-09-2014, 10:44 AM
I'm currently in the moddle of installing a set of Random Tech high flow cats and the Corsa cat back. I cut the stock cat off right at the weld last night and dry fitting the 2.5" to 3" adpater, cat and the first muffler section of the Corsa. The exhaust clamp does not line up and it appears the Ramdom tech cat is 1-2 inches too long. Is it normal to have to cut the RT cat pipe to fit? I thought they came in the correct length. Thanks.

Mike

jasond29
09-09-2014, 12:34 PM
Yes, I had to shorten mine about that much as well.

crackleking
10-23-2014, 11:08 PM
Mike, just did my 98 rt/10 with corsa exhaust and ceramic cats. The cats were long, and they do this purposely because some people might want to extend the exhaust system where it comes out further in the back. The cats you can cut to a specific fit and then weld them on. Attached are photos of my car when I finished the weld on. I did a complete series of the entire process. 72787279

00VPRGTS
11-09-2014, 07:17 AM
Crackling,
You should put your series in the How To section. I was looking all over for one. The one difference I see between yours and mine is that I slipped the 2.5 to 3 inch adapter over the turnout and had it welded. It looks like you expanded the turnout to slip the adapter inside.

Mike

Helo Steve
11-09-2014, 11:50 AM
How timely, my corsa keeps popping off at the joint just in front of the passenger side rear wheel. I have tightened the rubber isolator with the pipes pushed into each other and put the clamp on as tight as it will go. Regardless, it continues to pop off at WOT or bumpy roads. (not sure which). I've even tried tightening everything when the pipes are cold as well as hot, but it will not stay. Gonna pull everything apart and see if I'm missing something or if a different area is loose too.

Will be a couple of weeks before I get to this project, but I will add pics to this thread.

00VPRGTS
11-11-2014, 07:10 PM
Steve,
I am shocked that your system can pop off. The pipes should be inserted about two inches or more. Mine was tough to get together when everything was loose, it will definitely not pop off. Sounds like your cat section might have been cut a little short but I would expect your clamp to hold it unless your pipe isn't fully inserted.

BTW...nice article in the quarterly.

Mike

Helo Steve
11-12-2014, 07:09 AM
Me too, I can push the two pipes pretty far into each other and tighten the clamp down, but it just won't hold. Need to really get under it and see what up.

Thanks on the article!