PDA

View Full Version : Junkman's "How to Avoid Getting Polish/Wax Inside Your Seams & Cracks"

Junkman2008
09-07-2014, 10:55 PM
Just as the thread says, watch and learn. http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh216/Junkman2008/Smileys/yesnod.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wy9Cyf2CMc

Here I am washing the wheels on the Vette with soap and water. Look at how dirty the water is after cleaning 3 of the 4 wheels. All of that dirt came off the wheels and wheel wells using nothing but soap and water. For folks who have to use anything more than soap and water, you need to learn how to wash your wheels more than once a month. Then they will come clean a LOT easier. That's not rocket science, that's just common sense.

Save your money and quit buying unnecessary cleaning supplies!

Notice that as I wash a car, I keep the entire car wet as I go. That eliminates the possibility of water spots.

The group that you hear is Ladysmith Black Mambazo. You may remember them from Paul Simon's Grammy Award winning album "Graceland". The first song, "Chapter One: Passage to Promise" is done in collaboration with Andreas Vollenweider. I use to really enjoy his music back in the 80's. The second song "Rain, Rain, Beautiful Rain" is Ladysmith singing acapella, as they usually do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0RrK7eXd-A

BlknBlu
09-07-2014, 11:47 PM
another great production from the Junkman. When i perform a detail on car for the first time the wheels come off the car and the wheel well and suspension components get cleaned and the barrels of the wheels also get a deep cleaning. This looks more like a maint mode for the rims and tires.

thanks

Bruce

Junkman2008
09-08-2014, 12:04 AM
Yes. the barrels on this car were as clean as the board of health. :D

2doorrocket
01-23-2015, 11:37 AM
You all need to discover AutoGlym Multiwash TFR or Advanced TFR and invest in a pressure washer with a foam cannon of your choice from AutoGeek, you'll soon see the idea of washing is as simple as spray on wait 5 minutes, rinse, then using CarPro Reset or CarPro IronX Snow Soap and a bucket with a fluffy wash mit and you're good to go.

ViperJon
01-23-2015, 12:23 PM
Same sponge/mitt to wash off the actual tires you just dip and use on the rims? I think not.
Rims first with clean mitt, lastly the tires which may have imbedded stones etc.

Junkman2008
01-24-2015, 10:59 PM
To add to what Jon said, you do MORE damage to your paint by washing it with one bucket than you do by driving it through a car wash. Also, a pressure washer does NOT get your car any cleaner than a garden hose. That's why I don't use one.

Vprbite
01-25-2015, 07:25 PM
The two bucket method is incredibly helpful. And I usually use a soapy microfiber on the wheels that I throw away afterwards. It never even touches the car. I would say whatever touches your wheels doesn't touch your car and vice versa.

Junkman you mention waterspots. Out here in Arizona oir water is so hard that waterspots are a guarantee. My girlfriend got me the in-line water filter from griots. Holy geeze it was a godsend. Aside from the soap working better, it makes the leaf blower work even better too.

Junkman2008
01-26-2015, 12:54 AM
Your girlfriend is a keeper. :)

MalingatorGTS
01-26-2015, 08:06 AM
Holy geeze it was a godsend. Aside from the soap working better, it makes the leaf blower work even better too.

You should consider one of these...are cheap and work fantastic! Really get in the tight places a leaf blower can not and is more direct air so not blowing dirt and dust from the ground while you use it. After I bought one, I never think about the leaf blower method. Also, as a quick tip, spray the car with quick detailer while it's still wet. It will help shed water spots and help with the shine as you dry.

Should cost you about $75.00

Junkman2008
01-26-2015, 01:46 PM
Those are great for motorcycles but they are not practical for a car. You may as well use a 30 dollar leaf blower. You'll dry the car a lot faster for a LOT cheaper. For a car, you want the Air Force Master Blaster. That's what I use and recommend from Metro.

MalingatorGTS
01-26-2015, 04:32 PM
Those are great for motorcycles but they are not practical for a car. You may as well use a 30 dollar leaf blower. You'll dry the car a lot faster for a LOT cheaper. For a car, you want the Air Force Master Blaster. That's what I use and recommend from Metro.
Hey Junkman..I'm sure as you do this for a living a larger Master Blaster makes sense. As a at home obsessed detailer it works great. Plus gets in engine bay..wheels etc and places I don't want to point a leaf blower. I had a much larger car then my Viper prior and it did a good job getting that done.

Vprbite
01-26-2015, 07:11 PM
Your girlfriend is a keeper. :)

She is. She buys me all kinds of cool Viper stuff. And helps detail if I ask.

Really though for anyone living where the water is really hard, get one of those griots in line filters. Just put on when you wash your car then take it off. It works and takes up very little space. The refills are expensive but I don't know how often you would need them. I have used it on the car a couple times and the truck a few times. Maybe 6 washes total and the crystals are barely starting to show any age.

I learned the 2 bucket method from Junkman and that is THE WAY to the the car and it is actually a thrifty use of water. I mean it uses way less than the "soap and spray method." Out here that matters to me as water is scarce. So thank you for your videos on that. May I add something I learned from my own experience though? It's called the 2 bucket method, but not the "you aren't allowed to change the water in the bucket" method. If the car is really dirty, go ahead and refill it. Even quality soap is cheap compared to paint. If you find that even with the grit guard that the water in your rinse bucket is changing color, refill it. And while you are at it, refill the suds bucket too. I also have a bucket just for wheels. The car wash buckets have a lid that goes on them to keep them clean when not in use too. Someone asked me the other day if I just had the car professionally buffed. It has been over a year since I had a high end hot rod shop do a buff. Not a cut and polish. Just a good buff. And the car still looks great. I am convinced that is due to careful and judicious washing.

Thanks for your vids Junkman. Very appreciated.

Junkman2008
01-27-2015, 05:09 AM
Hey Junkman..I'm sure as you do this for a living a larger Master Blaster makes sense. As a at home obsessed detailer it works great. Plus gets in engine bay..wheels etc and places I don't want to point a leaf blower. I had a much larger car then my Viper prior and it did a good job getting that done.

Actually, I own a computer network consulting business. Detailing my car is what I do for relaxation. I would never do it for a living. However, I can appreciate where you are coming from with your choice of the Sidekick. I still disagree but at least your choice is based on logic, which some folks lack to include in their detailing decision making. ;)

She is. She buys me all kinds of cool Viper stuff. And helps detail if I ask.

Really though for anyone living where the water is really hard, get one of those griots in line filters. Just put on when you wash your car then take it off. It works and takes up very little space. The refills are expensive but I don't know how often you would need them. I have used it on the car a couple times and the truck a few times. Maybe 6 washes total and the crystals are barely starting to show any age.

I learned the 2 bucket method from Junkman and that is THE WAY to the the car and it is actually a thrifty use of water. I mean it uses way less than the "soap and spray method." Out here that matters to me as water is scarce. So thank you for your videos on that. May I add something I learned from my own experience though? It's called the 2 bucket method, but not the "you aren't allowed to change the water in the bucket" method. If the car is really dirty, go ahead and refill it. Even quality soap is cheap compared to paint. If you find that even with the grit guard that the water in your rinse bucket is changing color, refill it. And while you are at it, refill the suds bucket too. I also have a bucket just for wheels. The car wash buckets have a lid that goes on them to keep them clean when not in use too. Someone asked me the other day if I just had the car professionally buffed. It has been over a year since I had a high end hot rod shop do a buff. Not a cut and polish. Just a good buff. And the car still looks great. I am convinced that is due to careful and judicious washing.

Thanks for your vids Junkman. Very appreciated.

I definitely agree with changing the water in your rinse bucket if necessary. However, if dirt is ending up in your wash bucket, something is wrong with your process. Other than that, it sounds like you are having success with your routine. My car seldom gets anything other than dusty so I hardly ever have much dirt to deal with.

Vprbite
01-27-2015, 08:42 PM
Actually, I own a computer network consulting business. Detailing my car is what I do for relaxation. I would never do it for a living. However, I can appreciate where you are coming from with your choice of the Sidekick. I still disagree but at least your choice is based on logic, which some folks lack to include in their detailing decision making. ;)

I definitely agree with changing the water in your rinse bucket if necessary. However, if dirt is ending up in your wash bucket, something is wrong with your process. Other than that, it sounds like you are having success with your routine. My car seldom gets anything other than dusty so I hardly ever have much dirt to deal with.

My car usually only gets dust, not covered in schmutz but I unfortunately get bugs a lot . I just notice though that sometimes the suds bucket could use a refill as I am not stingy with the suds (that bucket doesn't get dirty). And the rinse bucket for the wash mit sometimes gets dust in solution. We have a lot of very fine dust out here that won't always sink in the bucket. Perhaps I am being overly concerned but it's just an extra bucket refill so I figure better to refill than regret. And I don't mean the rinse bucket gets dark as the night, just that if I start to notice a slight color change, might as well refill it.

Junkman2008
01-28-2015, 03:49 AM
... Perhaps I am being overly concerned but it's just an extra bucket refill so I figure better to refill than regret. And I don't mean the rinse bucket gets dark as the night, just that if I start to notice a slight color change, might as well refill it.

I don't think that is being overly concerned at all. You can never be too safe. If you are generous with your suds then a refill will be necessary. I agree with you there.

Vprbite
01-28-2015, 04:33 AM
Woohoo! Got the Junkman to agree with me. I must be doin something right with my washing regemine!

Junkman2008
01-28-2015, 04:54 AM
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh216/Junkman2008/Smileys/lol.gif

Hey, I will agree with anyone who bases what they do on common sense and logic. It's the folks who don't know why they are doing something that makes me scratch my head and say...

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh216/Junkman2008/Smileys/BigDummy.jpg

Ripper
01-28-2015, 09:43 AM

Hey, I will agree with anyone who bases what they do on common sense and logic. It's the folks who don't know why they are doing something that makes me scratch my head and say...

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh216/Junkman2008/Smileys/BigDummy.jpg

LOL !

Ok Junkman , you mentioned your car only gets dusty... Mine here as well as I am always cleaning

What is your secret recipe for dusting them off or perhaps a "spit shine" ??

I have not found a way to "dust" ...only method that
works for me is Adams quick detailer and waterless wash.

Junkman2008
01-28-2015, 11:38 AM
... What is your secret recipe for dusting them off or perhaps a "spit shine" ??

I have not found a way to "dust" ...

That's because you are asking for swirls by doing it that way.

only method that
works for me is Adams quick detailer and waterless wash.

And that's the number one way to create swirls. It's not what you are using (although there are a 100, cheaper products that you could be using), it's HOW you are using them. Watch and learn:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDevg-0x0jI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqdjRwsXoOM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gVU4C_6wOE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PeMi05kZyY

Ripper
01-28-2015, 11:45 AM
That's because you are asking for swirls by doing it that way.

And that's the number one way to create swirls. It's not what you are using (although there are a 100, cheaper products that you could be using), it's HOW you are using them. Watch and learn:

Will check these out ! Thanks much my friend!

VYPR BYT
01-28-2015, 02:10 PM
What is your secret recipe for dusting them off or perhaps a "spit shine" ??

I have not found a way to "dust" ...

Swiffer 360 refills. Don't use the handle... just hold it in your fingers and lightly dust the car. These are so soft and fluffy they just grab the dust right off the paint.
Try it.

http://drewandmary.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Swiffer-360-Duster.jpg

Ripper
01-28-2015, 02:20 PM
Swiffer 360 refills. Don't use the handle... just hold it in your fingers and lightly dust the car. These are so soft and fluffy they just grab the dust right off the paint.
Try it.

http://drewandmary.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Swiffer-360-Duster.jpg

Hmmmmmmmmm

Never thought about trying that one. Will check this out ...Thanks !!

So far I have had good success without scratching the paint.. I have alot of time invested in my technique as most all
of my cars are black and I stay on top of cleanliness 24/7

Vprbite
01-29-2015, 05:28 PM
Use that duster like Junkman says. So lightly you almost wonder if you are even touching it is my guideline that I use for myself.

Form those in hot areas...use it out of the sun and on a cool car. The opposite can leave spots. I learned this years ago on one of my black trucks.

Hey junkman, when you get a new calcar duster, which isn't too often I know, do you put it on a newspaper for a day like it says? I assume this is to soak up the extra oil on it, hence why they work better after some use.

slovenom
07-19-2015, 07:42 PM
I just discover the junkman... I've been watching your videos for hours now. ..I have a lot to learn
I appreciate you making this videos

Junkman2008
07-19-2015, 10:59 PM
I just discover the junkman... I've been watching your videos for hours now. ..I have a lot to learn
I appreciate you making this videos

Thanks for watching. :)